My Kitchen Rules – Sweltering It Out In The School Yard

Apologies for the late recap. Last night the remaining contestants on My Kitchen Rules were sent to Bankstown Public School. The kitchen was set up in the bitumen playground and it looked very very hot indeed.

Here are a few thoughts on the episode:

• The parents of the kids must have been thrilled to see them without hats in that blazing sun, but I suppose if your child is on TV you do want to see their faces;
  • The contestant’s must have been told the demographics of the school, which has a large percentage of kids of Middle Eastern Descent and that is why there was no pork dishes. Props to the producers for going to Bankstown instead of some fancy pants North Shore or Eastern Suburbs school;
  • The heat was affecting Carly and Tresne’s pizza dough as there was butter in it. When has there ever been butter in pizza dough?
  • Harry and Christo made Lamb Pita Pockets. They decided they did not have time to make their own pita bread and had store bought. Which is not a huge issue but there was not a lot of prep to the dish except chopping up lettuce, making Tsasiki and cooking and chopping the lamb. Christo ended up over cooking the lamb as he kept on flambeing it. Manu said to Pete that the boys will need to step up if they want to stay in the competition. I would say they need to learn to cook if they want to stay in the competition.
  • Chloe and Kelly were told by the judges that they had the dish of the day with their Turkey Nachos with homemade Spelt Chips. May have to check out this recipe but won’t be making the spelt chips.
  • Bree and Jessica were told their Bolognese was too bland, which is probably not a negative thing for kids but was for the judges. They made the same criticism of Josh and Danielle’s Mexican Beef Wrap.
  • Jason is starting to come over as a bit of a douche and needs to stop bossing his wife Annie around so much;
  • Uel and Shannelle were thrilled that their fish fingers were voted the best dish by the kids so this means they are safe from elimination this week which must be a relief.
  • Carly and Tresne were sent to the elimination challenge for their very doughy pizza scroll. Pete Evans looked like he spat it out. However yet again Harry and Christo are the team with nine lives as at this stage of the competition there is always someone who just cooks worse then them. Just.

1 Georgie { 03.09.14 at 2:04 pm }

I think he’d look at his best on one of those ghastly toilet sets – lid cover and pedestal mat. 😐

2 all happening { 03.09.14 at 2:11 pm }

That really would be classy Georgie. I am going to order now.

3 Georgie { 03.09.14 at 2:25 pm }

And for the messy cook, what about a Harry Cleaning Aids range – dustpan & brush and mop & bucket sets with a monogrammed dish cloth if you buy both sets.

4 Smythe { 03.09.14 at 2:26 pm }

Deb fur purse…something like this, Daisy?

Here’s a Corinne style fur purse:
It’s a fox and mink fur bird baugette.

This fur purse site is not animal friendly. :-(

5 Smythe { 03.09.14 at 2:30 pm }

Harry’s special first aid kit with Pete’s and Manu’s faces on the band aids.

MKR staff is probably reading this and getting ideas for new products for the shop.

6 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 2:48 pm }

Hi Gices, you are giving too many ideas for C7.

They can market ready made meals under the brand Harry and Christo. No need to heat, childproof. Special instruction: Eat SLOWLY to prevent chocking.

7 all happening { 03.09.14 at 2:50 pm }

What about a lovely range of snow globes featuring the best of MKR?
Also pens with Cpt jack’s pants going up and down. Big seller that one.

8 daisy { 03.09.14 at 3:56 pm }

You guys should be in marketing.
Thanks for the fur purse picks Smythe.
I still have a smile on my dial.

Is there a nice ittle tightly clipped up one for Anna.

BDD I just watched 48 hrs. Ggggrrrrr.

9 Smythe { 03.09.14 at 6:29 pm }
10 Georgie { 03.09.14 at 6:39 pm }

Finally found Zumbo’s Tim Tam’s and they were going for $1.89 for a pack of 5, so I got one of each flavour. Haven’t tried any yet though.

11 brain dead dave { 03.09.14 at 6:44 pm }

You did well, Georgie, because the price doubled here within a couple of days of Zumbo’s in store appearance. I’d buy the Raspberry and White Choc again for sure.

12 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 6:48 pm }

I just bought 2 packets yesterday, Georgie. Only bough the chocolate brownie. Quite nice but it is not covered with dark chocolate and is too sweet.

13 Georgie { 03.09.14 at 6:50 pm }

Dessert tonight bdd. 😛

I think they’ll all be too sweet Littlepetal cause I’ve been off sweet things for a month. I’ll wash it down with peppermint tea.

14 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 6:54 pm }

Woolies have them on special, 2 for $3. I didn’t buy the other flavours as I am not a fan of salted caramel or white chocolate.

15 Muffin { 03.09.14 at 7:05 pm }

Mmm chicken sushi

16 Muffin { 03.09.14 at 7:31 pm }

Yuk, I’m seeing a lot of hair/mouth wiping followed by food touching in this ep, including by Colin.

17 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 7:37 pm }

Lots of uncooked food

18 daisy { 03.09.14 at 7:48 pm }

Littlepetal we are having Vietnamese tonight.

19 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 7:55 pm }

Nice, daisy. We just had Thai Chicken Larb as a Sang Choy Bau

20 emp { 03.09.14 at 7:57 pm }

Everyone’s so cheap in Melbourne

21 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 7:58 pm }

Yes. One just paid with some coins.

22 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 7:59 pm }

The drinks will cost more than the few coins

23 Muffin { 03.09.14 at 8:02 pm }

Paying $0 was a bit harsh. At least chuck in your loose change and a supermarket petrol voucher.

24 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 10:03 pm }

Christo can’t take the heat and can’t count.

25 Andrea { 03.09.14 at 10:05 pm }

When will they learn not to send out raw or half cooked food?
They were told about the pears quite a few times but didn’t listen.

26 Littlepetal { 03.09.14 at 10:08 pm }

The water didn’t cover the pears fully. That is why the pears are still hard. I am not warming to Bree.

27 daisy { 03.10.14 at 12:02 am }

I didn’t like her either Littlepetal. She was so stubborn.

28 brain dead dave { 03.10.14 at 12:17 am }

Mr Cheese is starting to live up to his name ,what with the appalling attempt at skinning a salmon fillet. I got over 333,000 hits on Google for “how to skin a salmon fillet”. It looked like some kind of carving or steak knife he was fighting with. Cheese knife ,maybe ? Some of the hits said a dedicated ,flexible fillet knife is the go. Some sources said leave the skin on and cook it.

Not to be denied , Mr Cheese then sends multiple under cooked salmon dishes out to the hapless punters. Uel’s wife said “this chicken is a bit raw” The blood is pouring out of it, actually. It’s like the shower scene in Psycho.

The individually wrapped in plastic cucumbers bummer. I really wonder how fresh those suckers are. Average age of an apple in U.S supermarkets ~14 months.

29 Muffin { 03.10.14 at 1:07 am }

Mr Cheese said he cooks mainly red meat and cheese and from the way he handled that hapless piece of fish, I believe him. His cholesterol levels must be off the richter scale. He and Mrs Cheese are exactly like Dan and Steph from last season.

30 Smythe { 03.10.14 at 4:58 am }

It seems as if they decide what they are going to cook before they even go into the pantry so guess they know ahead of time what’s in there. I think it’s strange that Manu & Pete liked the twins’ dessert and only criticized that there was too much of it. Then they state that it was one of the poorest or lowest dishes of that group (don’t remember exactly what negative description they used). So giving too much food is a bad thing?

Andrea #125…the pears…didn’t they try them and realize that they were still on the hard side? Not enough water and too many pears. These cooks seems to forget they are cooking for a lot more than a family of 4. They need to consider the amount of food and increase the cooking time.

They need bottles of antibacterial wash nearby so they can clean their hands every time they use them to wipe their hair, mouth and other body parts. MKR can brand these with the MKR logo and sell this on their online shop. Actually the containers of antibacterial wash could be velcroed to their personalized MKR signature aprons for immediate use.

31 Sandii { 03.10.14 at 8:24 am }

I missed last nights episode, does anyone know if it is encored today.

32 Littlepetal { 03.10.14 at 8:32 am }

I can’t believe the white team won. They just want to continue the rivalry bet the twins and WA girls. This is a strong group,

33 all happening { 03.10.14 at 9:06 am }

Bree is starting to really show through as a know it all. Jessica got cranky with her in a previous ep and last night the pear gate and the way she spoke to Bianca. They were on Sunrise just now and made it sound like Bianca was being too assertive.
The black aprons with the twins and WA team were always going to lose just so the tension could continue.

34 brain dead dave { 03.10.14 at 10:14 am }

There’s no MKR encore in SA today,Sandii.You might be waiting until the weekend for that and with the AFL season upon us,they’ll be squeezing it in somewhere ,hopefully.

Big tick for the anti bacterial suggestion, Smythe. This awesomely all conquering ,according to Manu-“foot truck” has got hand washing facilities that are being chronically under utilised .I noticed the grubby Mr Cheese wiping his nose on his arm before going back to handling his grossly undercooked salmon.

I noticed Colin remained in good humour in spite of the disasters happening around him last night. Harry and Christo were just hopeless again. The calling each other “chef” is really contrived and embarrassing for real chefs everywhere.

$hine are really milking this Frazier v Ali kind of rivalry between Greece and WA. I was completely sucker punched yet again by the editing on the promos during the week,because it looked certain Pete was sledging one of those over rated Greecee/WA teams but it was a compliment sandwich for Tasmania instead.

Happy to see Tasmania get dish of the day.Those gels rock.

35 daisy { 03.10.14 at 11:27 am }

Littlepetal and all happening, Bree showed she wasn’t a team player last night when she refused to mass produce a few ball thingies so that the Tassie girls’ dessert didn’t get ruined.

Good on the Tassie girls for telling her to move it.

BDD, Smythe, the antibacterial stuff tastes disgusting and would end up in the food. That their hair is uncovered and often loose says a lot about their lack of interest in hygeine. Colin’s hair is especially bad.

36 Smythe { 03.10.14 at 11:45 am }

Daisy, you are probably right about that antibacterial wash but they really do need to improve their hygiene. Granted we don’t see what goes on in most restaurant kitchens, but seeing what goes on at MKR who would want to eat that food.

I was surprised and started laughing when I heard Christo say “all day” like a real head chef or expeditor, when he was calling out orders.

37 Ali { 03.10.14 at 12:03 pm }

Manu thought the soup was “baish” (translation: beige). Pete said it tasted of nothing. Did they accidentally ladle up the dish washing water? Good thing, cos one customer thought it had a tingling refreshingness.

The judging freeloaders seemed to have a different opinion to the off-the-street freeloaders. Manu said the black apron team’s salmon was 30 secs overdone but their weak point was both desserts which were too sweet. However, going by the number of salmons returned for being underdone compared to how many sweets boomeranged, I’d say the mains were where they lost money.

Raw chicken, raw sirloin, raw salmon. I think someone forgot to pay the gas bill.

38 PoRk ChOp { 03.10.14 at 12:56 pm }

Thank you Carrie…it’s great to have a laugh, especially, at the expense of those MKR tools, or anyone involved in reality TV, for that matter :)

39 cuisinaire { 03.10.14 at 1:03 pm }

The pears aside, wouldn’t the deep fried ricotta balls have tasted better warm, that is, cooked to order, rather than being cooked in advance and standing. 7 minutes is hardly a long time to wait for dessert or is there a MKR rule on time service? I observed both “white” dessert teams were rude to each other in tone of voice.

40 Smythe { 03.10.14 at 1:03 pm }

Brain Dead…Frazier vs Ali…maybe they’ll offer up an arm wrestling match like in “The Block” 😉

Cheshire the Cat Kelly vs the two headed one-brained twins.

41 brain dead dave { 03.10.14 at 1:27 pm }

I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to cook the chook and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the steaking point
I cooked for nothing, so I fell for everything

I see it all, I see it now
Chicken,$almon or $irloin
You’re gonna eat it raw!

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter
Dancing through the salmon
‘Cause I am a champion, and you’re gonna eat it raw!
Rawer! Rawer! louder than a lion
‘Cause I am a champion, and I’m gonna serve it raw!

You’re gonna eat it raw!

You held me down, but I got up (hey!)
Already brushing off the chef
You hear my voice, your hear that sound
Like chunder, gonna serve it ’round
You chowed it down, but I threw up
Get ready ’cause this steak’s had enough
I see it all, I see it now

You’re gonna eat it raw!
Cos I’m a champion and I’m gonna serve it raw!

42 Jay { 03.10.14 at 10:35 pm }

Fantastic BDD- really glad I persisted. As always getting a laugh from your posts.

43 daisy { 03.11.14 at 1:17 am }

We’re glad you stayed too, Jay. :)

44 PoRk ChOp { 03.11.14 at 8:08 am }

Wewy, wewy cwever bdd, wegards fwom Manu

45 Smythe { 03.11.14 at 11:27 am }

Brain Dead LOL Well written. #141

46 brain dead dave { 03.11.14 at 12:36 pm }

Thanks,gice. Sorry to her fans for deconstructing Katie Perry.

47 Georgie { 03.11.14 at 5:47 pm }

Missed this one bdd, but great work. Can you play it on the guitar too?

48 ผ้าม่าน { 04.19.14 at 11:45 pm }

I’ve been surfing online greater than 3 hours nowadays, but I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours.
It is beautiful worth sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers
made just right content as you probably did, the net can
be much more useful than ever before.