The Block – The Twins Know How To Hold A Grudge

Lysandra and Alisa finally won another room but it looks like they are still not happy with Shaynna Blaze.

In a news.com.au article they were still snarking about the score of five and comments they had received from The Block judge.

Last night the girl’s deservedly won kitchen week as theirs was the stand out kitchen. Not sure how Kyal and Kara’s wall of steel kitchen came in second only one point behind the girls. It was a very stark u-shaped kitchen it did not feel welcoming at all and liked the feel of Brad and Lara’s better.

Poor hapless Chantelle and Steve were again on the bottom, I hope they make a lot of money at auction to have made this painful building process worthwhile.

Which was your favourite kitchen?

1 ziii { 03.10.14 at 12:58 pm }

I liked Kyal and Kara’s kitchen, I thought it was really nice. Not sure about the floor and how cold it would be in Melbourne on a cold day. I loved their pantry.

Probably a coincidence, but Lysandra went home to see “family” the day before room reveals and then they end up winning this week. I liked some of their kitchen. I hate mirror splashbacks. Standing at the stove watching yourself cook, is not what I would like.

I really liked the orange juice blind in Steve and Chantelle’s kitchen. Not sure about the function. I think you’d have to see it in person.

2 Jason { 03.10.14 at 1:17 pm }

I knew the twins were going to win last week. My belief is that most reality shows are set up anyway so when the twins got such a bad review for their bathroom last week (and we saw so much of their tantrums about it), my first thought was they will win for their kitchen next week! Sure enough, throughout the week we were being set up to believe the twins were going to leave, their reputation as designers tarnished, etc…..

3 Maz { 03.10.14 at 1:31 pm }

Scores
D, S,N

CS =8+7+7.5
KK=9.5+9+9
LA=9.5+9.5+9.5
BD=8.5+8.5+7

Ha. wonder what happened in the 90s for Neil to hate it so.

The twins deserved the win but I doubt that the boys room was as bad as the judges made it out to be. Not everyone wants a wine rack.

Didn’t like CS’s kitchen. As to the Ks a bit too much timber. Agree the scoring was a bit iffy. Shayna points out functionality issue with the layout and they still score highly.

Have an awful feeling that C&S will win this week on the basis they haven’t won a room.

As to the waterproofing issue, surely that has to be a beat-up considering how many cameras are in there and the big song and dance Keith always does when it come to bathroom week.

4 Smythe { 03.10.14 at 1:55 pm }

I really don’t get the scoring. Only 1 point difference between the twins’ and the K’s kitchens…should have been a bigger difference in favor of the twins. I’m glad they won because the kitchen was well though out and cleverly designed.
The SC kitchen looked small and uncomfortable and I did not like the BD kitchen either but I think the judges were overly harsh with their comments. Didn’t like the curved benchtop but a wine rack would not have helped and it was a useless suggestion. It almost seemed as if the judges were recommending that BD scrap the kitchen and redo the whole thing. Therefore, I have the feeling that this will be the room the judges choose for them to redo.

5 Eliza { 03.10.14 at 2:18 pm }

The twins were deserved winners this week.. Loved their kitchen and it looks like a good use of the overall space and made the kitchen feel bigger and more grand. Agree there should have been a bigger points difference! The mirror splashback (hey, recycled idea from last season!) looks impressive but no, I wouldn’t want to watch myself cook either AND imagine trying to clean up high.. Have to keep a ladder in the pantry!

I liked the Ks but it didn’t blow me away. B&D’s was somewhat dated but really wasn’t that bad. I keep saying it, but I really hated the curved bench top and the LED lights though. They are what have the kitchen that awfully over ‘modern’ and cold look. I have never been a fan if that style but I did like the big open bench space they created compared to the Ks and S&C’s kitchen were it felt too tucked away.

S&C’s kitchen just didn’t feel right to me.. It would be awkward to use from the look of it, then that huge bench space all the way over in the dining area didn’t make sense to me. Lots of walking around in that kitchen. I feel as though much of their apartment is going to have to be gutted by the buyer and re done.

Back to the twin’s bathroom.. It was crap and so poorly designed I have no sympathy for them and the 5 Shaynna gave them!

6 Agent 86 { 03.10.14 at 4:48 pm }

The twins were the clear winners this week. The “galley” style kitchen looked awesome and should also result in great living and dining spaces. It was a little too dark for me, but once all the scaffolding, etc is removed, it should be a brighter area, especially with the void space.

The Super Ks were worthy runner ups. The glass covered brick splashback was a great touch. I wouldn’t mind a little less timber in their rooms. It’s fine to have a signature material in all of their rooms, but I think they’re starting to overdose on timber.

The boys kitchen was horrendous. Very dated and unwelcoming. And it didn’t “match” the neutral/modern style of all of their other rooms. The layout was nice. And the huge artwork was impressive.

Steve and Chantelle’s kitchen was … a bit of a mess. Everything appeared to be too far away, especially the island bench which appeared as though it was in another room entirely (the dining room presumably). A cutlery drawer under the oven? The stove top in the island bench, metres away from the fridge and sink?

7 Juz { 03.10.14 at 6:07 pm }

Shayna was right; Super Ks need a butcher’s block to bridge the distance as the room looks wide. It looked more of an evening entertaining kitchen, whereas the twins had a real heart of the home layout. Will be interested to see how it all flows once other rooms are done.

8 Sara { 03.10.14 at 11:49 pm }

I wonder if the bench in Steve and Chantelle’s can be moved, or if it has been permanently secured to the floor. If it could be moved in closer to the actual kitchen ‘proper’, I think it would work better

9 Zhee { 03.11.14 at 4:56 am }

Eliza, (commenting on your kitchen… from the last posting). I’m really jealous on people with space for a nice kitchen. We only have an apartment and the kitchen is tiny. Your caesarstone top sounds awesome.

I’m still really liking the twins’ kitchen, I would like to have it directly in my house (if I had one). Didn’t mind the mirror splashback. I mean, if I can afford such an apartment like the twins produce, I think you can also afford a cleaning lady.

If the kitchen would be B&D’s redo room, that’ll be hard. It’s expensive as hell to change it. I think they definitely need to change the timber to a darker colour and I really, really hate their choice of bar stools. They really look like 2005. The blue splashback also needs more warmth. But the artwork was really amazing.

I suppose that S&C will win the next room and/or challenges this week. Not liking that idea. 😉

10 Smythe { 03.11.14 at 6:36 am }

Seeing the kitchens again as the teams walked through them, I really don’t get SC’s design concept. Just don’t like that kitchen at all. BD’s kitchen really too white and plastic looking but better than SC’s.
So, will the Ks use timber in their dining room and lounge? High probability of that happening. :-)

11 Lebay { 03.11.14 at 8:51 am }

I like a fresh white kichen, all white, that way you can change your look by changing the teatowls and appliances. You dont have to rip out the whole kitchen. I loved the Dale and Brad’s kitchen. Ihate the gloomy dark kitchens as well.. I mentioned this on The Block FB page, and was told I didnt know what I was talking about and that a white kitchen was harder to clean… Hmm. Ive been a mother and wife for over 20 years, and before that I was a chef, nope, dont know anything about kitchens here .

12 Maz { 03.11.14 at 9:39 am }

I think it would be a waste of money if the boys have to redo their kitchen when
a) if you were using it you wouldn’t have every single light on
b) who ever buys the apartment will probably gutter the place anyway.
From the comments last night from the other contestants , the kitchen really isn’t that bad but again they didn’t show what BD had tucked away in the corner.

13 Gabby { 03.11.14 at 10:02 am }

I think the twin’s kitchen deserved the win, it was my favourite anyway, with the special K’s coming in a close second.
I loved the K’s pantry and glass splash back on top of bricks, I did not think their bench top was long enough, I feel they could have fought that out another metre.
I think the twins nailed it.
The boys kitchen was ok, just not for that style of building, then again if you wanted to throw something completely different in to the mix, it would fill the brief.
As for S@C once again, to me, it was a mix and match, nothing caught my eye, from the mirror splash back, the cooktop, the drawers, the positioning of the room.
Goodness knows what Chantelle is going to come up with for her lounge dining in the strange area she has to fit it in to.

I really missed the Butler’s cupboard this year. I thought that was a great idea most of them used last year.

14 Eliza { 03.11.14 at 10:57 am }

Eh he he, Zhee, I don’t like the idea of S&C winning either.. Hmm this might sound really Meagan but I’d like to see a team go a whole season without a win.. Evil! Seriously though they haven’t deserved any wins so far that’s for sure. The more I see their kitchen the more I hate it.. Terrible, terrible design!! Why didn’t someone tell them??!! Too busy wanting train wreck TV.

Smythe, I would prob bet my life savings on the Ks using timber again this week 😉

Lebay, white does look nice, doesn’t it. B&D’s just had a few too many elements that made it look cold. Fix those and it’s a nice, fresh kitchen that is very usuable unlike S&C’s! Replace those 2005 stools and there!’a a big improvement there! I wouldn’t worry too much about people on FB, it’s like people thrive on being rude on there. We have a half white kitchen now and it’s not hard to keep clean at all.. Quick spray n wipe and you’re done.

I really want to know too, Maz, what is in that nook in B&D’s kitchen…

I agree with you about the K’s bench top, Gabby. It bugged me that for the size of the kitchen it didn’t feel like there was enough bench space. Unlike the others, there wasn’t a big spot where you could stand around to entertain without being inside the kitchen. Will be interesting to see what Chantelle does with the dining space. Looks like terrible space design to me though at the moment!

15 Smythe { 03.11.14 at 11:25 am }

I like a lighter colored kitchen but there was something about all that white and the lighting. Maybe just too stark and sterile looking for me. I did not like the stools or the curved bench top. The standout to me was the artwork that BD had chosen. Very striking. Overall, though, a much better kitchen than SC.

16 Zhee { 03.11.14 at 11:38 am }

Is it mean to hope S&C will fail again this week? But I think the producers will grant them a pity win somehow…

And yes, the more I saw of their kitchen, the more I disliked it. It wasn’t cohesive and the stove was way too far away from the rest.

Btw, I can still remember last year when the judges were swooning over the round cooker heads (Maddi and Jarrod’s kitchen). Like they did this time regarding the K’s splashback. In like “Never seen that before”. The cooker hoods were in last year’s Ikea catalogue. The splash back idea was in a La Redoute catalogue from last year. Love it, those judges are really up to date. 😛 Time to bring in new ones. If something is in those catalogues (LAST YEAR) and the judges haven’t seen that before, then there’s something wrong. 😉

17 cam2 { 03.11.14 at 12:05 pm }

i don’t know why the judges thought B&D kitchen looked like the 90’s. to me it looked like a spaceship. all futuristic, i thought it was a bit very cool New york loft, kind of kitchen where they don’t cook, but just serve drinks to very cool people.
It was nice, not the totall disaster the judges made it seem, it just wsn’t very family or homely thats all. Personally i wouldn’t want the LED, but i prefer more of the cosy kitchen type. i can see how it would appeal to flashy cashed up entertaining types though.

18 WHY { 03.11.14 at 12:15 pm }

As Brad is so “narky” about the judging of their kitchen, going on about the wine rack suggestion from the judges, and if children were around to grab at the bottles etc, Well I hope they all take note on the safety of their heaters and I trust they will have all the proper safety guards so children can’t burn themselves – surely there are safety standards that must be adhered to?

19 Kyle Sandilands Ego Just Got Bigger | reality ravings { 03.11.14 at 12:40 pm }

[…] Source: SMH […]

20 Shellbot { 03.11.14 at 12:43 pm }

BD had a butler’s pantry in there, they just didn’t show it! I think they just need to add a warmer colour tone in there and get rid of the blue LEDs and they should be fine.

I had the exact same thought re: K’s bench, so could/should be longer! I wonder how all that timber will age with the house and the moisture being in Melbourne.

21 Gabby { 03.11.14 at 2:37 pm }

Eliza @14 we have no need to worry about what Chantelle will do with the dining and living space because Chantelle has assured everyone she has it all worked out! As we have seen from her other rooms that she has supposedly had all worked out, we can wait in anticipation to see what her next styling disaster, sorry, I mean creation will be like.

Zhee @16 maybe our Ikea catalogue’s are different to the ones you have in Germany.

Shellbot@20 thanks for pointing out the boy’s Butler’s pantry, I must have missed that. I think they are a brilliant idea. If I had my time over again and could afford it, I would definitely put one of those in.
Also the K’s bench definitely looks like it was cut off before it should have been. I am surprised the judges never commented on the length of it.

22 Zhee { 03.11.14 at 10:32 pm }

Wow, just saw that you guys nearly pay 500 Euros more per item than we do in France (and even more than in Germany).
The round extractor hoods are available since early 2013 here in Europe (this means those round ones are even older regarding the design as Ikea usually picks up designer stuff and makes it affordable for the masses). Maybe it took one more season in Australia, but usually Ikea releases their new stuff globally at the same time. I just keep wondering if those so-called design gurus really are very narrow-minded – ignoring what’s going on in Europe or US.

23 Eliza { 03.12.14 at 1:16 am }

Ha, I was writing my comment earlier on my phone at work (sneaky..) and just realised it auto-corrected mean to Meagan.. silly phone!

@Gabby – I have full trust in Chantelle :/

@Zhee – we pay more for EVERYTHING here in Australia because we pay staff too much money and we are so far away (sarcasm). I didn’t like those round extractor fans.. too curved!

24 Gabby { 03.12.14 at 9:35 am }

What on earth did S @ C think The Block was all about? He thought it was going to be more play than work and thought there would be people in the background to help them. Surely they must have had some idea, they can’t have been that naive, can they?

25 cam2 { 03.12.14 at 9:52 am }

for a show that must have hours and hours of footage, they sure recap a lot. seriously last nights ep must have been at least 50% of film that has already been shown. I don’t really understand the point of this. they already have the footage, its not as if they need to spend money to film more, so why don’t they use it? surely they realise that even if the film is not super interesting, it is more interesting than re-watching recaps every night. the viewers are not so stupid that they forget whats going on. have a recap on sundays or something but for ffs its getting ridiculous and frustrating. i like the block, but i mute about half of it bc its all just filler.

26 Reality Raver { 03.12.14 at 1:02 pm }

Cam2 – tell me about it and then after all the repetition the next morning I think what happened last night and a lot of the time I cannot remember.

27 Maz { 03.12.14 at 1:14 pm }

Gabby @24 -I think there must have been a bet in the casting agency to get the most ‘naive’ (putting it nicely) couple on the show because I was slightly flabbergasted when I heard S’s comments last night.

I wonder what C’s vision would be like if she was paired with a tradie as it seems to be a subplot that S is never using tools.

28 Gabby { 03.12.14 at 1:35 pm }

Maz, I think S@C just put their names down for all the shows, cooking, Race, building, and they didn’t care what were chosen for.. I don’t know if they want to be ‘discovered’ or are in it for the ‘money’ or what their motive is but they are certainly doing it hard having being chosen for The Block, and in the process being made a laughing stock of.

29 sunny { 03.13.14 at 10:57 am }

It seems like the producers have got the message about Steve & Chantelle being treated a little harshly, and have started to include some more positive looks at them. They are starting to enjoy themselves now and actually I am starting to warm to them!
Their design ability we will have to wait & see still. Perhaps less stress more enjoyment will be the confidence boost they need to get the flow. I do hope so, I suppose it would be very daunting straight in the deep end with not much practical experience & an excess of enthusiasm.
I love timber, I am all for it when judiciously used and very well finished. So I will be interested to see if the KKs can pull off another woodfest.
The twins make me laugh, I think they would be a lot of fun, they are a pair of dags!
All in all, quite an enjoyable season so far despite some typical Channel 9 excesses.

30 Maz { 03.16.14 at 9:28 pm }

They seriously want us to believe that C&S had the best living/dining room? Yeah right.

31 Smythe { 03.17.14 at 1:35 pm }

Thought the twins had the best living room/dining room. Wasn’t surprised that SC won, not because they did a great job, but I had a feeling they would just give it to them even if their rooms were not the best. Still don’t like their set up…do not like the placement of the bench/stovetop. Does not look right. Their dining room/living room did not flow, IMO.
Don’t get what the judges saw in BD’s design. At least they noted that the dining room set was too small. Looked like a child’s playset. I realize that they didn’t have a lot of money to spend but even some of their living room furniture looked cheap.
The Ks…I’m just bored with the timber and the rooms looked small.