My Kitchen Rules – Sudden Death Sees Another Team Gone

There was a lot of retro on the menu in both Jason and Annie’s and Carly and Tresne’s menus tonight in the sudden death cookoff. Carly and Tresne were making Prawn and Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Flowers with Lime Mayonnaise for entree, main was Beef Cheeks in Red Wine with Cheesy Polenta, and dessert was Strawberry Shortcake.

Jason and Annie were going more old school then Naughty Nana making twice cooked Gruyere Souffle, with Beef Wellington for the main and dessert was Creme Caramel.

Clearly when the teams are designing a menu it is important to think about how they will organise their time so they don’t have to leave things in the oven unsupervised as they are sitting out the back of the set whilst the judging is occurring.

The smart thing to do seems to be make braise in a pressure cooker something Uel and Shannelle did last week and this is what Carly and Tresne did this week.

Annie got caught out with her creme caramels as she left them in a turned off oven but they were still overdone.

Jason had responsibility for the entree and his way of separating eggs  for the souffle meant he lost a batch as he was trying to remove egg yolks after he had cracked them all in a bowl. Why did he not do it separately. Carly being very sweet ran across to show him how to do it. Just a minor irritation with Carly is her constantly saying she was doing MKR for Tresne and her students. I don’t quite believe that she is not enjoying the ride or the attention she is getting for it. She makes it sound like she is doing a selfless act.

Her assisting the other team only took a few moments but it could have been critical as 20 minutes out they looked like they were not going to get their zucchini flowers out.

The souffles were looking good after their first time in the oven, however Annie had to move them to another tray as the one they had flipped them out onto a tray which was too big for the oven. It was interesting to note that not one of the judges commented on the mustard flavour as Jason put in  a lot of English mustard.

The good thing was since there was cheese in both the entrees the judges, who supposedly blind tasting, might not have had a clue of who had cooked each dish.

Colin Fassnidge thought the souffle was missing something and Manu and Karen thought there needed to be sauce, however Guy Grossi thought it was fine.

Karen really liked the flavours of the zucchini flowers and Pete would have liked more mayo and it was a fair criticism as Tresne only put three drops on the plate.

After their strong start Jason and Annie’s main was a disaster. The Beef Wellington was rare/blue and their potato gratin was burnt. In fact the potato gratin was just potato with cream poured over it. The judges loved that it was that the beef was so rare. However it should be noted Liz  left the middle of hers untouched.

The girls beef cheeks were highly praised. Colin said he could not cook them any better. Again Tresne was scabby with her polenta servings, she only put three dobs on the plate. This is even less then a Masterchef smear.

Carly lost her positivity whilst she was doing her Strawberry Shortcake dessert, and thankfully Tresne kept her cool and took over the plating. Interesting they were not criticised for putting fairy floss on it as it was not an element they had made. However the biggest criticism they received was it was not enough.

Annie and Jason’s Creme Caramel were inconsistent. Liz Egan and Guy Grossi got a well cooked one but the other four judges were overcooked. Guy also queried why there needed to be spun sugar on top as it was caramel on caramel.

Carly and Tresne were scored first  and received a grand total of 39. Karen scored the girls a seven, Guy gave them a six, Liz gave them a six and Colin a six. Pete scored them a seven and Manu a seven.

It was enough to keep them in the competition with Jason and Annie only getting 37. Karen gave them a six, Guy gave them a six, Liz gave them a six, Colin gave them a five. At this point Jason revealed he could not add up or he was an optimist as he thought they might be able to get three extra points off Pete and Manu. They didn’t as they gave them seven each. They were eliminated and even though there were sad goodbyes, if the weekly gossip magazines are correct, the country duo were not well liked. Jason and Annie have been quoted saying the only team they were close to were Chloe and Kelly. That seems like an odd friendship indeed.

1 Littlepetal { 03.12.14 at 10:07 pm }

Not sure why, but on other blogs, they are posters who dont like Bree. I find her annoying too.

I also find Harry and Christo annoying. Not funny anymore watching them trying to be silly rather than cooking. They are a joke in the comp.

2 Muffin { 03.12.14 at 10:32 pm }

Totally agree Stacey #45-there’s a shitload of mother superiors at my work place too, esp single ones. Boss is a mum too so if anyone feels the need to leave early, has a case of the can’t be stuffeds, or just feels like being a bitch, they just invoke a variation of the “I have kids” excuse with impunity. Who’s left to pick up the slack?-the childless (the worthless) of course. Any complaints about working unpaid overtime while mum relaxes at home with lil Johnny are met with the patronizing “just wait till you have kids”. Aaaarggh!!! Sorry, didn’t mean to rant but I’m so over it.

Thanks for listening! Lol

3 brain dead dave { 03.12.14 at 10:42 pm }

layla @36. That exhibition isn’t going to the Eastern States so it’s worth checking out. Lots of black and whites from the 60’s.

Yes Georgie and Sandii, I couldn’t believe Harry and Christo dodged the truth again .Very dodgy. Someone thinks they’re awesome.

A lot of people have stuffed up Polenta on these “cooking” shows. Time to move on to something safer.

4 Georgietake2 { 03.12.14 at 10:55 pm }

I hear you Muffin, been hearing the ‘I have kids’ excuse for years, and of course complaining means you are jealous, bitter, heartless. Well I have learnt not to rant. I do MY work only, and leave on time, my excuse ‘I’ve got cats’ now on MKR Pete & Manu really want to save Kelly Chloe, Harry & Christo – no matter what they fuck up they can’t lose. And the twins constantly wasting food is totally bugging me. I like Cathy & Anna they wanted to make them stuck up in the promos, but they are the only ones displaying real humility. I want them or the surfer dads to win.

5 daisy { 03.12.14 at 11:09 pm }

Me too Georgie 2. Cathy and Anna seem pretty low key and mother and daughter seem to get on well.
I think kids often turn the tables and get bossy with their parents but at least A&C seem close.

But having said that I couldn’t be bothered watching MKR tonight.

6 brain dead dave { 03.12.14 at 11:14 pm }

Inside Story on 9 was pretty good,daisy.

Cathy and Anna, Surfer Dads , Tassie gels. The rest are complete duds.

7 Georgietake2 { 03.12.14 at 11:23 pm }

Anna is bossy, and Cathy does faf about, but the editing makes it look worse than it is. The need to create ‘drama’. I agree with your line up BDD. Polenta is not the only carb botched up – rice,pasta, bread, potato mash, cous cous – all the basics, constantly stuffed up, dare they try quinoa next??? Pete would faint!

8 Stacey { 03.12.14 at 11:28 pm }

Thanks Muffins and OTG: I don’t mean to disrespect about the great job mothers do, I’m not a complete hater. Just in observation. In the vein of my initial point though was the fact that some ‘team’ characters and they’re slogans are tiresome after a few years ala ‘mum’ and ‘mates’ teams.
“We’ve got kids”
“we’ve known each other forever”
“Our husbands always eat it like this'”

What about the rest of the population?

9 brain dead dave { 03.12.14 at 11:44 pm }

I love how Kelly wanted to debunk Manu and Pete’s criticism just because just one arse- licking old Italian crow in the crowd went nuts about their pathetic pizza.

“The whole family loves this dish!” is a personal favourite of mine, Stacey. They’re just not wanting to hurt the cook’s feelings is more like it.

10 Muffin { 03.12.14 at 11:49 pm }

I don’t mean all mothers either, just the ones who think they are the Virgin Mary who birthed out the baby Jesus or something. They have a superior, holier than thou attitude…like Bree! Lol, good night.

11 Georgietake2 { 03.12.14 at 11:55 pm }

Mums and dads are great, and it’s nice that families appreciates what the mum/dad cooks, but just like Kelly has to grow up and realise that just because she likes her steak a certain way not everyone else will, so do the mums/dads have to realise that not everyone wants what thier kids eat And it is usually the mums on shows like this. The surfer dad’s don’t seem to say it.

12 daisy { 03.13.14 at 2:02 am }

Stacey, where I used to work it was the opposite. The mothers/parents got no special treatment. It would annoy me when meetings after school went for about 2 hours and kids of teachers were left to wait unsupervised. A school should care for kids. They were neglected. My kids were grown so it was just a selfish view.

The pretty young things got all the favours, “Oh poor thing is tired”, while we older ones were told to shoulder some of their responsibility; responsibilities they were quite capable of doing themselves. These were nice girls and my friends but the bosses were jerks.

13 daisy { 03.13.14 at 2:37 am }

I ditched MKR tonight because I couldn’t bear another boring cook off where no one can cook and they drive around in a car rally.
Ha ha. I got heaps of work done making games for my classes.

14 Smythe { 03.13.14 at 3:11 am }

Manu….the pizza is wonderful but crust undercooked. How the hell can the pizza be wonderful if there is an issue with the crust?

H & C are saved from sudden death once again. Too much batter and bad sauce and they are still there. They should go to SD just for Christo not knowing how to open the bottle. In fact why don’t they choose more than one team to go to SD if food is not up to par: K & C and H & V. A three way SD.

15 Smythe { 03.13.14 at 3:19 am }

Wanted to add that I didn’t get the churros at an Italian festival. Churros…Mexican/Spanish. Maybe they were good and people were enjoying them but didn’t fit with the Italian theme. There are many Italian desserts to choose from and the girls fry up some churros???

16 daisy { 03.13.14 at 4:19 am }

Smythe I may have to dl Orphan Black season 2 because I don’t want to wait.

17 Littlepetal { 03.13.14 at 4:54 am }

Do we believe Woman’s Day? Latest issue has Chloe and Kelly falling out.

‘Tensions are said to have boiled over after a stressful on-screen challenge pushed their friendship to the limit, with 27-year-old Kelly cracking under the pressure and storming off set’

18 Georgie { 03.13.14 at 6:54 am }

I don’t mind Carly and don’t believe she’s being fake. Sure she hams it up, but there’s an element of performer in every teacher – their stage and audience is usually a bit smaller is all. I think the positivity schtick is overdone and obviously her little rituals aren’t working, but that’s because being positive is a state of mind not something you invoke. I do think the producers are deliberately putting this facet of Carly’s personality on display though.

Smythe #65, a churro is a Spanish doughnut and although they were cooking for the Italian Festival, they were asked to put up their best Mediterranean dish.

19 daisy { 03.13.14 at 7:59 am }

Georgie, too much fluffy bunny for me and new age stuff. 50% of it would have been enough. But of course the producers are pushing for a certain aspect from each team.
When J&B used to be on I thought I would be hppy tonput my hand up to play villain. Now I think I would never go on because of the way the producers pick one aspect of one team member and push it over and over and over…… and over. Each team is like an organ grinder and his monkey. Harry is the monkey, Deb was the monkey, Anna is the monkey, Carly is the monkey.
It’s hard to pick the monkey with A&C because both are being restrained.
Oh Jack was the monkey AND The organ grinder. 😉

20 Smythe { 03.13.14 at 8:07 am }

Daisy, Season 2 will start April 19th in U.S., I believe. I will watch it online. BTW, do you watch Dr. Blake Mysteries. I’ve been enjoying it.

Georgie, I didn’t realize they were supposed to do Mediterranean as opposed to just Italian. I still think that churros didn’t fit the bill. They were at an Italian festival…serve an Italian dessert. I couldn’t imagine someone serving a tiramisu or cannoli at a Spanish or Mexican festival.

21 daisy { 03.13.14 at 8:46 am }

No, I haven’t seen it Smythe. I thought I would check out Zhee’s suggestion but I am having trouble fitting too much telly as it is.

I was going to pass on Love Child but then that was pretty good this week. Except the fighting scenes. I never saw brawls in the 70s and I thought the ‘peace man’ sixties would be the same.

I would have chosen the wild girl for my best friend back then.

22 layla { 03.13.14 at 9:22 am }

What a suprise…. Harry & Christo avoid SD yet again! Poor twins. Hopefully whoever they’re put up against they beat. Paul & Blair are still my favourite team. Those guys can cook. I just don’t like Cathy & Anna. Stupid old duck always puts on this fake “OMG” face & it annoys me.

Glad others agree with the pretentious mum personality Bree is dishing out. I can’t stand woman who think because they’ve birthed out a kid they’re more hollier than holly. You’re not.

23 Georgietake2 { 03.13.14 at 9:48 am }

Did you see Harry’s face when they announced who would be in SD? Even he couldn’t believe it wasn’t him and Christo!

24 daisy { 03.13.14 at 10:48 am }

And so there’s why I didn’t care if I watched it last night.

That and the fact that it hasn’t been interesting. Fingers crossed MC will do better this year.

25 PoRk ChOp { 03.13.14 at 12:35 pm }

daisy #23…have to agree with you :)

26 Smythe { 03.13.14 at 1:27 pm }

Agree with you too, Daisy. #23 & 74 I find myself not watching all of it or doing something else while it plays in the background because I lose interest. Whereas with MC New Zealand I like most of the contestants and also like the judges. With both of these programs, though, they don’t show enough of the cooking and spend too much time w/ the drama. MC NZ has a bit less of this than MKR and MC AU.

H&C…if they eliminate them there will only be one male team remaining so seems like they just feel the need to keep them around. They should have been eliminated several challenges ago.

27 Georgie { 03.13.14 at 5:05 pm }

Daisy #69, what is J&B?

28 Littlepetal { 03.13.14 at 5:08 pm }

Georgie, J&B could be Jessie and Biswa.

29 Georgie { 03.13.14 at 5:11 pm }

Thanks Littlepetal.

In that case Daisy, you would’ve appeared an angel next to them, no matter how villainous you tried to be.

30 daisy { 03.13.14 at 9:57 pm }

Yes Jessie and Biswa.
I would love to play the villain with Nidha Bumjab.

I would be the organ grinder’s monkey and she could be the organ grinder.

31 daisy { 03.13.14 at 10:16 pm }

Sandii, I hope Adelaide was fun. Did you play who’s that guy in the Stones’ shirt at the magazine rack?

32 daisy { 03.13.14 at 10:44 pm }

Sorry Needha. I misspelt your name @ 80.

33 daisy { 03.13.14 at 10:46 pm }

Or Georgie, have you seen the pedantic, judgemental, hippy new-agers on Portlandia. I could play half of one of those.

34 Sandii { 03.13.14 at 11:17 pm }

Daisy, did a lap of the mall, some good busker / performers as well as some dodgy ones.

35 daisy { 03.13.14 at 11:28 pm }

Sandii, want to be my evil partner for the next MKR if Needha can’t make it.
It may be beneath her culinary standards.

We could be really annoying aging hippies and make lots of haloumi and mung bean recipes.
You could grow your arm pit hair really long and I’ll wear a bandana.

36 Sandii { 03.14.14 at 5:13 am }

Sounds like a plan Daisy!

37 daisy { 03.14.14 at 10:20 am }

Well that was too eeeeeasy Sandii. Didn’t you read the fine print?

38 Georgie { 03.14.14 at 10:41 am }

Daisy #83 – I’ve never watched Portlandia, but sounds good. Confession – even though I found out who/what J&B were, I got them mixed up with Braces & Tatts in my comment #79. J&B were just delusional not nasty and unfriendly.

39 daisy { 03.14.14 at 10:50 am }

Georgie, Portlandia is not belly laugh hillarious but 70s style tongue in cheek nonsense.
I love the way the actors can be so serious, and not burst out laughing while being so ridiculous. It’s just cleverly acted nonsense.
Get stoned and watch with a friend.
It’s on ABC 2 about 10ish I think. Sort of Tracey Ulman on pot.

40 Georgie { 03.14.14 at 11:11 am }

Lol Daisy, I get stoned on music these days, but I’ll give Portlandia a try if it’s got captions – thanks.

41 daisy { 03.14.14 at 11:29 am }

Yeah, but we can pretend, Georgie 😉

New plan, Sandii. After reading the Tully/Tahlia thread:
Lesbian biker couple. We’ll just texta the tats on.

42 Ray { 03.15.14 at 2:21 pm }

What an horrendous thought Carly is teaching our children. How can this be – surely our young ones deserve better than this?
And this woman can actually vote – no wonder our country is in decline. There is no hope what-s0-ever with teachers of such little calibre. Sorry Spelling

43 brain dead dave { 03.15.14 at 3:21 pm }

Only thing in decline is your trolling,Pops.