The Block – Dale and Brad’s Bathroom Might Stop The Sale Of The Block? Highly Unlikely

Keith was creating streets of fear on The Block last night telling Brad and Dale that if their bathroom was not going to be certified byt their waterproofer none of the apartments would in the complex would be able to be sold.

The question is why did it take so long for them to find out there was an issue? The bathroom was completed in week two had they not realised that they had not received the certificate?

The waterproofer said he was not going to certify it as he had not done all the layers, as Brad and Dale had done the top layer themselves. As Dale said he was told at the beginning they required a certificate, and then let them do the layer themselves to save time. However considering if the guy signs the certificate it would mean he would  be liable for their work if there was damage from a leak.

In the end he said he would certify the two layers he put on, which is just ridiculous and impractical.

Dale and Brad should have just held everyone else to ransom telling them that they all should have to pay to fix it.

Don’t panic folks it looks like it is all sorted out as Dale and Brad’s apartment is up on a a real estate website here. Thanks @trentymc for sending it it.

1 Erin { 03.12.14 at 12:48 pm }
2 ziii { 03.12.14 at 12:48 pm }

I thought anything like water proofing would needed to be done by someone who is qualified? If there was a problem with the water proofing and it leaked to the floor underneath or created a mould problem later on then it may very well be Brad and Dale’s fault as they were the ones who did it.

3 Reality Raver { 03.12.14 at 12:58 pm }

Thanks Erin.
Zii – agree particularly if it does major damage

4 Maz { 03.12.14 at 1:01 pm }

Thanks for the links. It is always interesting to see the RE photos and how the apartments actually flow.

It looks like the boys scored the kitchen as redo week as it seems to have a new splashback and mirror.

Not a fan of the bathtub tucked in the corner of their master bedroom.

Loved the photo of the twins’ kitchen. (Seriously S&C can not win this week).

Re: Waterproofing…serious failing on behalf of the production crew. You know it needs to be certify then make sure it is before any work progresses.

5 Gabby { 03.12.14 at 2:28 pm }

Thanks Erin @1 for the links. I know the apartment I like the best.
I don’t know if the changes to the boy’s kitchen made that much difference really. I think their kitchen is ok, maybe just not suitable to the style of the building. Then again some people might go for the light and bright!

6 jec { 03.12.14 at 3:00 pm }

As much as I like the boys (especially Dale), and admire their renovation & decoration skills, I do not want them to win this series as between them they’ve won over $800,000 on previous series of The Block! Include the twins in and the total is over one million dollars. Perhaps teams that did not win huge amounts of money should have been chosen for the Faves, not teams who have won a lot of money already IMO.

7 cam2 { 03.12.14 at 3:11 pm }

thanks erin for the links.

judging on the RE photos alone, id think that the twins were in for a good shot at winning. (though must wait until see K&K’s photos too). Their apartment looks way more luxury than S&C. They must have redone their bathroom as that moss stuff is not there anymore and the bathroom looks very nice actually when the blind is up and the mirror can reflect outside. doesn’t feel so small and claustrophobic. Their kitchen too looks much much nicer i thought when you see the whole room complete.

B&D’s apartment is nice, every room seems so much bigger than the other teams. but i think the twins apartment still feels a bit more luxe than theirs.

8 Erin { 03.12.14 at 4:37 pm }

I just put in the linked before, but didn’t get a change to look at the listings properly, i didn’t even notice the re-do rooms!!
I like Brad and Dales, kitchen now, the changes have softened it a bit. Agree, don’t know about the bath in the corner of the master, looks to me, like they tried to do similar to what the twins did last year, with the bath in the dressing room.
Yes, it looks like the Alisa and Lysandra redo their 2nd bathroom. It does look much better with the the time and moss. Unfortunately, interms of re-do, the kitchen and bathroom are most expensive to do. I think their first floor it going to look great. the void is looking like a good idea.
Looking at the floor plans, looks to me like, they were all a bit stuffed up stairs because of the location of the spiral stairs…
However the twins decision to move the kitchen to a different area than suggested on the plan, looks good to me, makes the first floor flow a bit better in my opinion!
I also don’t understand the bit drama about the main bathroom upstairs, there are three bedrooms and three bathrooms, they could all be ensuites, and lets be real, these apartments are not targeted at families!

9 Hi { 03.12.14 at 5:27 pm }

Why did they make such a small pool in such a huge space? Was there a reason?

10 Eliza { 03.13.14 at 1:10 am }

Thanks for the links, Erin.

I love seeing the photos. The boys have definitely made changes to the kitchen – I noticed the splashback immediately.

The twin’s bathroom was a big change but it still feels cramped to me (in terms of the placement of basin and bath). The void is cool but they definitely have felt it in this space (hence the slightly cramped/narrow feeling) and the 2nd bedroom. Fine if it’s just a couple living there which is most likely the target market.

I don’t love the idea of that exposed looking bath in the master bedroom being the only bath in the boy’s apartment. What happens if a family do want it.. or.. if you simply have a guest staying who wants a bath? Then they need to take up your entire room.. not a HUGE issue but surely just having a bath in one of the other bathrooms would have been sensible.

S&C’s apartment just doesn’t hit the mark. It’s too all over the shop.. They didn’t even get rid of the French cafe style dining setting out in the terrace.. which totally matches with the aztec theme in bed 2.. and the art deco vibe in the main bathroom.. hmmm. The whole place just leaves me confused. I do love their 2nd bedroom though. From the pictures, does it look like they have changed something about their main bathroom? Looks like there are not as many different types of tiles/wasn’t there some wood around the bath next to the basin? Shame they didn’t change the basin too…

The whole boy’s bathroom fiasco id just another excuse to drum up drama.. I never fell for it!

Hopefully we get the Thurs night ep in NSW this week.. can’t wait for them to (s)exploit some male tradies!!

11 Eliza { 03.13.14 at 1:40 am }

Does anyone know how to contact RR when your posts keep getting eaten up? I think the site hates me again!

12 Eliza { 03.13.14 at 1:41 am }

Thanks for the links, Erin.

13 Carol (without the e) { 03.13.14 at 12:56 pm }
14 Agent 86 { 03.13.14 at 12:56 pm }

Thanks for the links.

Steve and Chantelle’s dining area looks really awkward. The island bench was poorly positioned.

The twins have a great layout for their living areas, but I’m not sure the “void” was worth it in terms of the space sacrificed upstairs.

The boys kitchen does look better. I think some timber stools would have also been an improvement. And it would have been nice if they’d somehow reflected the warm red colour of the exposed brick wall in the kitchen design.

I wonder what the Super Ks are hiding since their apartment isn’t listed yet?

15 Carol (without the e) { 03.13.14 at 12:57 pm }

I still say the super K’s bath looks weird sitting right in front of that door!!!

16 Agent 86 { 03.13.14 at 1:07 pm }

Thanks Carol!

So, the Super Ks replace their water feature with an outdoor shower? It seems like a waste, especially with an indoor shower about 1m away, but I guess they thought it worked for the twins and the boys.

I’m surprised that their ensuite doesn’t appear to have a double or exra large shower. Their layout indicates that they had the room for a larger shower.

I’m not sure about all the grey walls, especially in the twins’ apartment and the SuperKs’ apartment, but I guess that’s the “trend”.

17 Maz { 03.13.14 at 1:08 pm }

Looks like the super Ks got the laudry for redo. Its a huge improvement so I expect they win that week.

I guess it really between the twins and Super Ks who takes out this season’s Block.

18 Smythe { 03.13.14 at 1:41 pm }

Thanks for the links. The twins’ apartment would be my choice followed by the Ks.

19 cam2 { 03.13.14 at 1:43 pm }

thanks carol for the link. :)

super k’s apartment looks really nice in the photos. its a very different look and style to the twins. im surprised they put in an outside shower. i mean for all the flak that the twins copped about putting in one, now 3 out of 4 teams have one! like agent86 said, i don’t really see the point either in having one for the K’s since there is another shower 1m away. Plus its not able to be accessed from the outside, so even if you’re sandy from the beach you still need to walk through the house, past the other shower to get to the outdoors one. don’t really get it. it’s such a small space that it probably would have been better if teams could have just made a bigger and proper bathroom and laundry rather than a cramped powder room/laundry in one.
the most practical is actually S&c’s with the clothes line (though i think their space is quite ugly in terms of styling). noone else has a clothes line, i guess people moving in would probably just put out a drying rack, but a clothes line is better if you have one.

Glad S&C won the challenge and its good to see the challenge giving something back to the community. should do more of those. its good to see the interaction with the public.

thank goodness there was less recapping last night!

20 Eliza { 03.13.14 at 7:05 pm }

Rest of the comment I was trying to post last night:

21 Eliza { 03.13.14 at 7:06 pm }

Rest of the comment I was trying to post last night:

22 PollyB { 03.13.14 at 7:06 pm }

Thanks for the links. Loving super K’s, but why such a narrow kitchen bench. There is heaps of room for a wider one, even 10cm extra. The end of the bench looks kinda stingy. And having the cistern in their ensuite attached to the wall of the other bedroom – mmm not good for mid-night visits. But I like their style & hope they win.

23 Eliza { 03.13.14 at 7:12 pm }

Rest of the comment I was trying to post last night:

S&C’s apartment just doesn’t hit the mark. It’s too all over the shop.. They didn’t even get rid of the French style cafe dining setting out in the drying terrace.. which totally matches with the aztec theme in bed 2.. and the art deco vibe in the bathroom.. hmm. The whole place just leaves me confused. I do love their 2nd bedroom though. From the pictures, does it look like they have changed their main bathroom? Looks like there are not as many different types of tiles/I think there was some wood around the bath, next to the basin?

The boy’s bathroom fiasco was just an excuse for drama.. I never fell for it!

Hopefully we get the episode tonight in NSW.. can’t wait for them to (s)exploit some male tradies!!

24 Eliza { 03.13.14 at 7:14 pm }

PollyB – I think all of us have had the exact same though about the K’s kitchen bench.. as soon as I saw it I just wanted to make it a tiny bit deeper and stretch it out a little!

25 Gabby { 03.13.14 at 8:02 pm }

Eliza, you write to realityravings@hotmail.com that will get to Emma.

26 Gabby { 03.13.14 at 8:27 pm }

Stretch it out a little? Stretch it out a lot Eliza. It looks ridiculous in that photo. A lovely big designer kitchen and that piddly little bench with two stools. I cannot understand their reasoning.
Even if they did have a long a bench, I still prefer the twin’s kitchen. The K’s feels as if it is stuck in a corner.

27 Reality Raver { 03.13.14 at 10:27 pm }

Eliza – retrieved your comments out of spam box.

28 Eliza { 03.14.14 at 12:55 am }

Thanks, RR.. I got it all out, eventually. Sorry about all the attempts to post…..

Haha, Gabby, I feel like I have been told! I feel the same way as you, it is just the way I say (write) things. Sometimes I under exaggerate what I mean.. I should have put “a lot” in brackets so it was more understandable.

It actually frustrates me looking at their kitchen because of the bench. It looks totally unbalanced and I too don’t understand why it is so small. Considering they had the room and money they could have made it deeper and then longer too. I was shocked the judges didn’t comment on it. This is also why I liked the twin’s kitchen the best, as I think I was able to say at some point earlier, let alone for your own ease of use, you can entertain around the kitchen without being inside it. Like our kitchen at home, it is much nicer to be able to access a kitchen around the outside too where you can. B&D managed to do that in their space hence why I didn’t mind theirs terribly as it had a nice sense of space within the kitchen, and around it.

I am thinking about kitchens too much…

29 Zhee { 03.14.14 at 7:58 am }

Mhmm, the bonus point might cause the first (and hopefully one and only) room win for S&C. Yeeh. Not…

30 Gabby { 03.14.14 at 4:02 pm }

Eliza, I knew what you meant, I was just having a go, but in a nice way, and I am pleased you took it in the spirit it was said in.
Yes the boys kitchen even peed all over the K’s, curved bench top and all!

31 Zhee { 03.17.14 at 4:41 am }

I hate it when I’m right…. -.-

32 Gabby { 03.17.14 at 1:54 pm }

Well what did we all think of that?
I liked the twins living room the best, it just seemed to flow on from their kitchen. I agree with the judges about their styling, it is a bit naff, but nowhere as naff as C’s has been.
Speaking of who, well done tonight on their win. It was a nice room but to me it was still a bit of mix and match and not my cup of tea. To me she had some of this here and some of that there.
Looks like you were right Zhee, they must have wanted to give them the win this week. I really think Neale went overboard with his praise.
As for specials K’s did not like it at all. Very small and very ordinary. They definitely lost their mojo this week or maybe I am just not in to what they did. I cannot get over how small it was.
A big luxury loft apartment and that was the size of their living area, nup, not good enough. As the judges commented all that beautiful space wasted in the entry. Karma commented about opening up on to the outside area, sorry not for too many days in Melbourne.
They made a big boboo there with their whole kitchen dining entertaining area, and that’s a real shame because they were going so well.
The boys was ok, it didn’t really leave me thinking about it at all. So I suppose it deserved its 8’s. I agree it didn’t go with the kitchen and their table and chairs looked like it belonged in a children’s cubby house.
My winning area was definitely the twins.

33 Zhee { 03.17.14 at 2:07 pm }

I liked the twins’ room best. It felt luxurious and spacious. The K’s was way too small unfortunately. I think the producers will know knock them off their pedestals.

I hated S&C’s area. It looked awful, there’s a bit of this, there’s a bit of that. The chairs didn’t fit in. That awful wooden wall looked like German 1980’s rustic restaurant. The lamps were hideous and I really disliked the fireplace. Ugly 1950’s style.
It was so painfully obvious that they did want to let them win last night. The praise was was too much from the judges. And interesting that it didn’t matter using retro whereas the boys got slammed (yeah, the kitchen wasn’t good but it’s funny with those inconsistent judges).
And oh, what a coincidence that S&C had the bonus point. I would feel ripped off if I were the twins.
The brief was LUXURIOUS – none of S&C’s rooms show that.

So, I guess the next room win will be the boys pity win…

34 why { 03.17.14 at 3:17 pm }

Brad is such a sore loser and cannot take any criticism. Just because he thinks his place looks great, that doesn’t make it so.
He goes on and on about the twins – he needs to take a good look at himself.

35 Smythe { 03.17.14 at 3:28 pm }

The twins’ living/dining rooms were luxurious and spacious and probably should have won. S & C get the sympathy win. Didn’t think BD’s rooms were styled that great….that dining room table would be great for the oompa loompas or munchkins. It was too small and far from luxurious. In fact I thought that most of their furniture looked cheap. Bored with the K’s timber and the rooms were small and cramped looking.

36 cam2 { 03.17.14 at 4:43 pm }

the twins should have won this week for sure. their planning, layout, void and styling made it completely luxurious and stand out from the others.

the KK’s was surprising small living room. too cramped. i liked the timber up the stairwell, but i am a bit confused by where their use of space went. the whole kitchen living dining area was not well planned at all. i think it will let them down at auction.

B+D’s kitchen and living area looked mismatched and the dining table was comically small.

S&C i do think they were given the pity win. they needed to win at least one room for budget and so that at auction their place isn’t a total write off. they do deserve second place imo. i think they also scored higher from the judges bc they surprised the judges (very) low expectations of them, rather than being scored higher bc their quality of work was on an equal scale to the twins. S&C layout, design and style does not say luxury, and cannot be compared to the twins.

the whole bonus point thing is a joke. its a ridiculous advantage to be given to one team. im not one for show rigging conspiracies, but this year it really does seem this whole ‘wheel of crap’ was brought in to even the playing fields and to give producers control over the game. its not fair to the contestants.

btw why didn’t S&C get blasted for having their artwork too low? when shayna sat on the bench seat her head definitely would hit the art if she were to lean back against the wall. double standards.

37 Agent 86 { 03.17.14 at 5:03 pm }

I think the twins deserved to win this week, irrespective of Steve and Chantelle’s “bonus point”. The twins living and dining had a great “flow” from their galley kitchen and they were both spacious areas. Sure, the threadbare rug was an odd choice, but I don’t think “styling” should make up a large component of the scores since it is something that is easily changed and will more than likely be changed to suit the tastes of the buyer.

I was impressed with Steve and Chantelle’s efforts. The space worked better than I expected. I liked the “private” foyer, the bench seating and the fireplace. But, their space really doesn’t give the buyer many options and the area between the island and bench, while spacious, felt like a waste of space.

The Super Ks really proved to be not so super. I’m not sure whether it was due to the way the apartments were originally divided, but the Super Ks had a very small living and dining area. The grey, concrete walls certainly didn’t help to make things appear larger.

The boy’s areas were just odd. The “industrial” black air-conditioning did not fit with the super white, futurist kitchen. The dollhouse “dining table” was really out of place. Even the heater seemed like a last minute addition which was just shoved into the room. I would expect a far more integrated heater if it had been planned from the start.

I had expected the boys to win with their neutral design, but I can’t see how anyone other than the twins can win at this stage.

38 PollyB { 03.17.14 at 6:03 pm }

Loved the twins space except for the wall behind the TV. I think that whole wall should have been whatever their fireplace/chimney was.
S&C got the big sympathy vote. Agree with cam2 #37 – I was waiting for the blast about the low hanging print. Should be a landscape print there, short & wide.
Lovev Super K’s, but their space was so small. It looks like the apartments are divvied up differently, but maybe not.
I’m not mean, but I don’t want S&C to win this week. They didn’t deserve this win.

39 Zhee { 03.17.14 at 10:12 pm }

Cam2, I start to doubt the boys will win. Until kitchen week I was pretty sure they will win the auction. I still think they will win the upcoming room reveal though.
I agree with the painting issue. The twins got slammed, yet S&C’s painting was in the way as well. It really lets the viewer left with a “That’s so rigged”-feeling. Especially when the scores came and the twins had the same scores than S&C (yeah, they put much effort in but it looked bad. Even on glossy pictures on websites it looks bad like the apartment overall).

I didn’t mind the twins’s styling. It shouldn’t cause them to lose a room reveal because in the end their planning and execution was fantastic. A potential buyer would enter that area and would like it more than S&C. The whole apartment gets more and more flow which shows that they planned pretty well. In my opinion even their slammed bathrooms and outdoor shower make more sense now. Their apartment is the only one that really feels luxurious, next are the K’s (the timber overkill takes a bit away from that feel and the way too small living/dining area).

40 Eliza { 03.18.14 at 12:23 am }

I have been waiting since last night for a post about the reveal episode but glad you guys got it rolling here.. I have been dying! I have a feeling a mini essay is coming along :/ No wonder this site thinks I am spam.

If there was ever a time for the twins to whinge about the show being unfair and this and that, it was this week! What a joke! I don’t see how any of the spaces could match theirs at all, so I agree with you all that it was the superior space due in particular to the layout. It baffles me that no other team was able to go “hey, it says put the kitchen here, but wouldn’t it make a much better use of space to move it”. I do get they were under pressure to get the plans in though. This week’s reveal was a big game changer IMO.. the twins had hit the lead somewhat after the kitchen reveal but I cannot see them not winning now with their downstairs space the way it is. Comparing it to the K’s, it looks double the size. The K’s have definitely lost their edge now as a small living area in such a big apartment I am sure would turn many buyers off.

S&C’s, although probably better than I expected, was still a bit off and all over the place, as others have said. Mind you, I loved their coffee table and rug.. right up my ally, however the whole thing together didn’t work so much. They really should have worked out a way to continue the joinery from the bench seat to the other side of the fireplace as that would have looked much, much, much more cohesive. The TV unit bugged me and was just a retro-look cheapo piece of furniture. I love actual retro furniture and own a bit of it myself, but it is just not right for these apartments unless you get it really right, in little bits as it is hard to pull off unless the pieces are just right for the space, that is the key – to make it look like it belongs there.. S&C haven’t managed this though. B&D’s was ok.. agree it didn’t flow from the kitchen but there place did feel spacious though and bright. The table though.. seriously?

@Gabby and Zhee – the pity win was going to come at some point.. I really wanted to see a team go without a win eh hehe.. We knew the producers wouldn’t allow it though :(

@Zhee – I actually liked S&C’s fireplace! With more contemporary styling I think it would have looked better. I was thinking the same as you about the twin’s styling, I loved how convenient it was for the judges to hate their styling (which can be changed easily, layout not so much) so much this week to deduct an actual point.

@cam2 #37 – yep, yep! The twin’s planning was exceptional. I liked the K’s timber wall too. They decided on a grand hallway at the expense of space in the kitchen/living area which was a big mistake. Too much wood in the space and when even Shaynna doesn’t get excited about abundant storage, you know you’ve gone too far! Buyers won’t go “wow I can store so much in this apartment, I don’t care that I can’t actually live in it now!” hehe. The wheel is most definitely a controlling mechanism. I would struggle to find someone who didn’t see right through it! Imagine if S&C had to give other contestants money, they’d be screwed. Double standards re the artwork too.. my thoughts exactly.

@Agent 86 – Totally agree also that S&C’s space is very inflexible – that was my first thought when I saw it.

41 Smythe { 03.18.14 at 1:56 am }

Looking at the apartments again in the latest episode, the placement of SC’s TV was really off. It was way to the side and it would not be comfortable watching it. Also judges saying that their living room was reminiscent of the 60s as if they were impressed by that but putting BD down for going retro 90s with their kitchen and also previously making comments that they want something trendy, modern but industrial and scoring high for that 60s look. Definitely inconsistent judging and double standards here. If not for the bonus point twins and SC would have been tied but there should not even have been a tie. The twins’ rooms were way above SC’s. Scoring twins down for styling?? Who cares about the size of the rug or the accessories such as the items on the coffee table? These can be easily changed. The room placements, sizing and treatment (flooring, walls, etc) can not be readily or easily changed.

42 Zhee { 03.18.14 at 2:10 am }

I love your essays, Eliza. <3

Yeah, the table in the boys' area was.. well… small. It would even look small in my new apartment. You cannot fit more than 4 people. Even though the twins used a round table (I love that one!) it at least fits 6 or more people. They really picked up nice pieces. Alisa and Lysandra might be real bitches but at least they have a good eye and plan ahead and get a real flow into their apartment. I know it might sound not great to wish the bitches win the auction but I think they really created the best apartment. After DB's downstairs area fail I see them taking 3rd spot, S&C number 4 (I cannot imagine them getting a better result, it would be totally ridiculous). DB made mistakes with the kitchen. It misses soul and warmth. Even though the twins' areas are darker, it looks more comfy and luxurious.
It's a toss up between the K's and the twins. The K's still have that beautiful vie of the city and I think their roof top terrace will look fantastic. This could grant them the win in the end over the twins.

43 Eliza { 03.18.14 at 2:24 pm }

Thanks, Zhee. If I were talking, people would say I like the sound of my own voice!

The view element will be interesting indeed. It didn’t seem to help the teams last year though as you really still need to have the best apartment + view because of the higher reserve prices. We shall see! I think I might just make it back home from holidays for the final.. I’ll have to check and see

44 Carol (without the e) { 03.18.14 at 2:36 pm }

I really really liked the twins layout and loved that they had a dining area that was removed from the lounge/kitchen space. Their layout is what will win this series for them… NOT the way the apartment is styled!!!!!

I’m over all the timber in the super K’s apartment. Some timber stuff is OK but I think they’ve gone a bit overboard.

I didn’t like the “caravan” dining area that S&C did as it limits any possible layout changes the new owners might want.

B&D’s dining table can be easily replaced but why haven’t they hung their huge artwork? It shouldn’t be on the ground should it? Did I miss something?

45 Carol (without the e) { 03.18.14 at 2:39 pm }

Oh and if the judges will deduct a point from the girls for styling issues… then why weren’t the same points taken off S&C for the lighting they used which was all wrong?

A&L should have won… and this was definitely a pity win for S&C in my view! Or maybe it was the producers sucking up to S&C fans to keep them onside after giving Steve a bad edit (IF that’s what they did).

46 WHY { 03.18.14 at 3:06 pm }

Totally agree with Carol (without the e) Too much timber for Super K’s. Almost looking like it was bought cheap hence it’s over usage – less is more.

I really love the twins’ layout, and design – their living and dining space is superlative to the others and the ambience they have created is second to none – I want that apartment!
I

47 Carol (without the e) { 03.18.14 at 3:13 pm }

My husband isn’t sold on the raised section as you enter A&L’s apartment. I’m not sure what I think yet… (waiting to see it fully finished) but I agree with WHY… I too want their apartment! The furniture in the lounge room was criticized for being too small. Yet if they had chosen larger pieces they would have been judged as making the area seem too small/crowded.

The cashed up buyers will be the ultimate judges I suppose… and I can’t wait to see what happens!!!