My Kitchen Rules – Norton St Italian Festival Sees Harry and Christo Inexplicably Safe Again

Are Harry and Christo some sort of protected species? They dish up whitebait fritters that could have been used as cricket balls and they are still not sent to the sudden death cook-off. Helena and Vikki who are struggling as well in the competition were the ones judged to have the worse dish in the Norton St Italian Festival challenge. At least the twins try and put a complex dish out with their mushroom and polenta balls with gorgonzola sauce. Whereas Harry and Christo just put whitebait in batter and stuffed that up.

Even though Harry and Christo are out of the depth they still manage to cling on in the competition. Christo could not even open a bottle of beer as he did not realise it was a twist top. What posh beer does he drink?

The teams were given three and a half hours to shop, prep and cook a dish for the festival, with the crowd voting for their favourite dish. It was an Amazing Race style start to the show with the teams rushing to the cars as the sooner you bought your ingredients the sooner you could start cooking.

Anna who is a definite type A personality screaming someone “Get out of my way I can’t get to my car”. Seriously she would make a cracker The Amazing Race Australia contestant as her control freak nature would have her out of her comfort zone fast.

Coles the shows sponsor will be pissed when they see this episode as there is a perfectly acceptable Coles 200 metres down the road from where the stalls were set up. But we had to see the teams go to Haberfield, a neighbouring suburb, and then off to the organic farmers to get fresh produce.

Most teams were back at around the 2 hour and 45 minute mark. However started getting food out at an hour before the challenge was going to end.

Chloe and Kelly were first to arrive back and they started making their Pizza with Pancetta, Pear and Rocket. They ended up blowing their lead and were the last to start serving. Why pick something where you had to wait for the dough to rise also there was more cutting and chopping then they envisaged. In their bid to get the pizzas out they ended up undercooking them. However the flavour combination worked according to Manu.

Another weird menu choice when time was your enemy was Uel and Shanelle’s Pork Belly. It needed to spend a fair time in the oven and then it was not long enough as it was not cooked long enough. They served it with salsa verde and watermelon. This combination apparently worked. And Uel needs to put out a book of naff jokes after his time on the show. I am sure he has an extensive collection of knock, knock jokes.

Paul and Blair cooked Veal Piadinas which was veal ragu wrapped up in flat bread with mozzarella and rocket. They looked great. With Pete Evan’s saying it got better with every bite.

Josh and Danielle made a ricotta gnocchi and the judges thought they had packed a lot of flavour into the dish.

Bree and Jessica made an Orzo Alla Marinara  and were given the ultimate compliment of being told it was a restaurant dish on the street. Bree managed to look humble when she received that praise.

Carly and Tresne burnt their risotto  for their mushroom arancini balls. But Carly’s  circle of empowerment must have worked as the judges loved them.

Tahlia and Bianca again made a dessert. They made  Churros with Salted Caramel and Chocolate Chilli Sauce not quite Italian but probably was just in the “mediterrranean” dish category. Again they shone but I really would like to see them cook some savoury food.

However it was Anna and Cathy’s Fritto Misto with Anchovy aioli and Fennel and Rocket Salad that won the viewers choice and will give the mother/daughter team an advantage in the next challenge.

1 daisy { 03.17.14 at 7:29 am }

Don’t worry. I’ll go have some hot milk and play some repetitive game on my tab then have a good sleep in.

2 Zhee { 03.17.14 at 7:40 am }

I don’t know if anyone knows the books: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnaqypyJDHs&list=PLYg6DkgTt8JC6s2FHqTZI55kJm61w7TbE

Looking forward to that show. But still have to wait till summer. :S

3 PoRk ChOp { 03.17.14 at 10:00 am }

#96 Zhee..thx, very good :)
Fellow bloggers – love your work.

Last night, the “foot truck” was in my ‘hood.’ Would have loved to get up close and personal with Pete and Manu, for several reasons. 1. Potential for studying the subject at the core of the “Manu Hair Paradox,” aka whether “To Bieber or not to Bieber.” I would have asked Manu, if his hairdresser may have misunderstood him, when Manu asked for a “Bieber style,” and instead gave Manu a “beaver style?” As I wrote, my mind segued to the American slang for “beaver.” lol. 2. Discuss the merits of activated almond paste as cosmetic filler for Pete’s crow’s feet. 3. Ask Pete about his fervent passion for nonagenarian surfing? Hell! Had, I known about the filming, I could have donned the cap of “Reality Ravings Roving Reporter,” and been prepared with a list of questions (from my fellow bloggers) to pose to the dining duo.

Notably, Pete and Manu were seated quite close to the front of St Johns, behind which, is a notorious locale for drug peddling/usage, sanctuary for the homeless, and homosexual beat. That makes me wonder if the gice would have even eaten the foot truck offerings, had they known what was lurking behind them? I hope MKR gave the leftovers to those homeless gice!

Manu’s feigned anger was “food for hilarity.” Manu’s Address to the Foot Truck (paraphrased) “foot truck, zooday I am snot ‘appy. Wat u zinking? Ve arse snot zum foot truck on ze zide os zum woad selling ‘ot doges. Ve arr zuppost zobee pofessionalee vine wining westerwantsss!”

Ray2, I would like to get back to you this afternoon, if that is ok? I wish to share several observations/suggestions with you. I truly feel your pain, son. I will post my message here.

4 daisy { 03.17.14 at 4:50 pm }

Porkchop, love what you bring to the table too.

PS Bring medication.

5 cam2 { 03.17.14 at 5:01 pm }

i never would have picked up on carly and tresne being a couple. its odd that they would be labelled as ‘friends’ when they’ve been together for 8 years! i guess U&S took the casting label of ‘loved up’ couple.
hoping H&C go tonight to SD. they deserve it. but honestly i don’t really care much about any of the teams in the cook off tonight, so they can all go SD, fine by me.

6 Georgie { 03.17.14 at 5:14 pm }

Gotta Serve Somebody
~Bob Dylan~

“You may call me Terry, you may call me Timmy
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy
You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray
You may call me anything but no matter what you say

You’re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You’re gonna have to serve somebody”

7 daisy { 03.17.14 at 5:41 pm }

Georgie my BD going around head is currently…
shut the lights, shut the shades, you don’t have to be afraid, cause Iiiiiii’ll be yooooouuuur, baby tonight.

Less pertinent than yours, but nice and mellow.

Japanese daughter is here cleaning my house. She will fight me over it but I am going to give her $50 and hour although she only comes to do it for love not money. She deserves spoiling.

She’s like having a sweet little geisha in blue jeans gliding around the rooms.

8 Georgie { 03.17.14 at 5:56 pm }

“Kick your shoes off, do not fear
Bring that bottle over here
I’ll be your baby tonight”
(from John Wesley Harding album)

Daisy everything BD has ever written is relevant somewhere, sometime and I love it all.

9 daisy { 03.17.14 at 6:10 pm }

I even love the old Burl Ives version.

ATM I know we have Kris K singing it from the recently aired BD anniversary show.

10 Georgie { 03.17.14 at 6:28 pm }

BD wrote it and released it on JWH in ’67 and Burl Ives covered it the following year. The Burl Ives song I loved from my childhood was Pearly Shells.

11 daisy { 03.17.14 at 7:18 pm }

You reminded me of a good old daggy BI oldie;
The Ugly Bug Ball. Is that what it was called?

Burl Ives was kind of family friendly Barry White forerunner, with his mellow voice.

12 daisy { 03.17.14 at 7:23 pm }

Listening to parent’s era and favs:
I remember yoooou, Frank Eifield a great family car sing-along. Even the dogs would howl.
Other family sing-alongs as kids :
Chattanooga choo choo.
Blue Moon
Zippety do da.

I am going way back in time now.

13 Georgie { 03.17.14 at 7:40 pm }

I do remember Ugly Bug Ball too Daisy, it was in a Disney film. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Frankie Lane, Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, Johnny O’Keefe – it’s all flooding back!

14 Sandii { 03.17.14 at 7:49 pm }

I had never heard of the ugly bug ball song but I just googled it and it is gorgeous. Certainly don’t make them sweet and innocent like that anymore

15 daisy { 03.17.14 at 7:57 pm }

Then Sandii, if you like UBB, google
I’ll be your baby tonight, especially the Burl Ives rendition. I’m not usually A Kris K fan but he did a good job of it too.
Who does it best do you think?

A massive fav, Mama Cass; Dream a little dream”.

An oldie fav, Summertime, and the livin’ is easy,
fish are jumpin’ and the cotton is high”

16 PoRk ChOp { 03.17.14 at 8:07 pm }

Well done Georgie #108.
Thx Daisy #106, love dining here too.

Ray2, please attempt to control your puerile, and outrageous outbursts. At this point, I am simply making you aware, that you are most clearly, a perilously troubled individual. Currently, you appear to be in the grip of a severe paranoid episode, however, that is the very least of your problems. I truly fear for your welfare, and more so, the welfare of those around you. I am consulting with a colleague re your absurd, yet fascinating behaviour, and then I will (“bring it on”). Although, in my profession, we prefer to use the term – endeavour to assist you too actually “live,” and, further, to understand your responsibilities/acceptable behaviour within society. We all have societal mores, and if we refuse to live by those mores, then we may be relegated to the backwoods of our world, and more importantly, we can become entirely disconnected from our loved ones.

I do hope that your physical health, is not as precarious as your mental health? For the moment, I am advising you to have your blood pressure checked. A total physical work-up would be preferable, and very prudent. If you cannot control your effusive bouts of anger, you are at grievous risk of, not only, of compounding your psychiatric issues, but compromising your very being.

Given, my present observations, I am questioning, as to whether you may have been the victim of extremely traumatising emotional, and/or physical abuse, at a younger age. I sincerely hope you have not suffered any sexual abuse (the reason this possibility has struck me, is because you labeled me a “faggot”). We often find that until the effects upon a pre-pubescent Ray (or whomever the victim, may be), having experienced such depraved violation, are addressed and resolved, then the adult Ray, will forever be haunted by those appalling memories. Oftentimes, those memories are repressed, however, in order to conduct yourself with some semblance of normalcy, a treatment such as hypnosis, may be prescribed and beneficial. Past experiences that you cannot, or will not express nor address, will almost always result in further deterioration of your psyche (we refer to that as your “élan vital”).

I am almost convinced that your unfortunate youth experiences, could be the key to your flagrant disregard, for the feelings and thoughts of others, and the attendant, and as yet, inexplicably negative treatment of others. Ray, when you conduct yourself in this unfortunate, and disdainful manner (and people are not cognizant of what may have occurred to you), it would be understandable, that you may appear to be nothing more than a socially inept person, with discursive, abusive “word salads,” in a feeble attempt to express yourself. And not understand that you are, indeed, suffering, and most likely afraid to request much- needed help. A failure, on your part, to seek professional help, at the soonest possible juncture, could definitely result, in an impossible return from that existential Hell.

17 daisy { 03.17.14 at 8:17 pm }

Good for you Porkchop. I was thinking along the same lines.

I had a friend who ‘got help’ and she’s no longer someone people avoid.

18 daisy { 03.17.14 at 8:46 pm }

Hey Porkchop….now do me 😉

19 daisy { 03.17.14 at 10:08 pm }

Goergie, Portlandia is on tonight on ABC2 just after 10.00pm.
It might be hit and miss but it’s like 70s mad humour.
For a really good laugh some of you would love Saxonville, a British comedy about an ex-roadie. But it’s not on telly so it’s check the internet.
Steve Coogan is the ex-roadie.

20 Georgie { 03.17.14 at 10:09 pm }

Thanks Daisy, I’ll check it out now and report back.

21 daisy { 03.17.14 at 10:13 pm }

Some will be funny and it might need to grow on you. It’s very tongue in cheek.

22 Georgie { 03.18.14 at 12:17 am }

“Word salads” – I like that PoRkChOp. I’ll file it away for future use. 😉

23 PoRk ChOp { 03.18.14 at 10:11 am }

Hi Daisy, I believe you to be a very kind, sweet and funny lady.

I note, that the resident psycho, made derogatory comments about you and your dog. Do you have a dog? I have several, and I would be quite happy to “look like’ any one of my pack, because they are all beautiful :)

24 daisy { 03.18.14 at 1:16 pm }

Oh porkchop, I wasn’t fishing for compliments. I thought you could tap into my dark side 😆

25 PoRk ChOp { 03.18.14 at 1:35 pm }

Yes Georgie, “word salads,” – I should give kudos to my good friend, who reminded me of that term, as I was writing to Ray Ray. I remember a character with that name. It was from something on TV, but Ray Ray was a “special person,” similar to our Ray Ray. “Ray Ray” is also a song by a band called “Mindless Behaviour!” That’s very ironic.

Daisy, you don’t have a “dark side.” You have a “dark sense of humour” though…you would have to, in order to have a giggle at what I write.

Have a lovely arvo, girls :)

26 Anonymous { 03.30.14 at 2:31 am }

Pork Chop Stop your endless rubbish as I said boy, the are a bunch of pathetic philistines

27 Foghorn { 03.30.14 at 8:09 am }

@126

“Go, I say go away boy, you bother me”

“That boy’s about as sharp as a bowling ball”