My Kitchen Rules – Harry And Christo Again Show Why They Should Not Be In The Competition

Harry and Christo continued to show that they are unable to cook with dishing up a hamburger in last nights My Kitchen Rule’s instant restaurant. When Colin Fassnidge queried how much people would pay for their burger they assured him $20. He retorted “You are no Neil Perry”. Indeed there was nothing special about the burger no fancy bun or accompaniments. Sure they replaced bacon with pancetta but it was one you would get from your local milk bar if they still existed.

Though you would get more chips at a milk bar as they ended up only putting 6-8 on a plate why did they not peel more potatoes? They did not have that much to do in prep time.

Christo even managed to further prove his incompetency by putting pancetta on a vegetarian burger. If they don’t go this week expect to see them serving up Spaghetti Bolognese next Sunday.

The boys were in the White Apron group headed by Tresne and Carly who have now revealed to the papers they are a couple. Interesting that on the My Kitchen Rules bio it states they are friends. However in this article here it says they live together in a house they own and also own the house next door. The word “couple” is mentioned also.
Not sure why it was so hidden on the show as no one would care and when it is the most popular show on TV it would be pretty hard to keep it a secret.

Chloe and Kelly also on their team were making OPen Crab Lasagne with Pea Puree. This would have been a great dish if they could have managed to prep enough crab between cutting themselves. However Pete said the Pasta was great but the filling bland.

Uel and Shannelle were heading up the black team. They were cooking Spiced Gazpacho with Ling. Shannelle was the head chef and realised she was so uptight tasting everyone elses dishes she had not tasted her own. Manu said it was vinegary. Pete Evans said it needed some work.

The Tassie girls are showing they can actually cook. This time they were not doing dessert and were making Middle Eastern Lamb with Smokey Eggplant and they only razzled out their own flat bread. Colin did tell them to rub off some of the spice flavour as it was over powering. The advice must have been right as Manu said he could say nothing wrong about this dish.

Bree and Jessica also got glowing reviews for their Pan Seared Swordfish with Green Curry. It could have been a calamity if she had over or under cooked the fish as she only had 37 portions when they needed 35.

Josh and Danielle helped the white team with a very nice Deep Fried Apple Pie, the judges thought it was near perfect.

Paul and Blair’s dessert was not quite so good making Ginger Cake with Caramelised Peaches. Not sure why Paul thought it was a good idea to put a chopping board on them to try and make them all the same size. Pete thought the flavours were there but the execution were off on the ginger cake.

It was no surprise the black team headed by Shannelle and Uel won and hopefully it will be Harry and Christo sent to sudden death against Vikki and Helena tonight.

1 Andrea { 03.17.14 at 11:40 am }

That’s right RR, Harry and Christo are hopeless, who would pay $20 for a burger, they are delusional.
I guess the fried apple pie could seem to be basic too, nice as it was, McDonalds have already invented it. Good try though Josh and Danielle.
Enough of the food truck though, I’m over it, nice to see Parramatta again though, go Parra!

2 all happening { 03.17.14 at 11:55 am }

I am not sure I would waste $20 on a burger ,no matter how good, at a top restaurant. Why pick that restaurant if you are vegetarian or your religion doesn’t allow one of the dishes. I suspect producers have a say in all this just to add to the drama.

3 Culinary Boner { 03.17.14 at 12:28 pm }

In a rather boring episode Harry & Christo’s real-life parody of Beavis & Butthead at BurgerWorld was simply outstanding…

4 Smythe { 03.17.14 at 12:29 pm }

Boring, once again. If they are going to do the food truck then at least have some interesting challenges. Continues to be the same old thing, different day, different location.
Harry and Christo are deluding themselves. Fries and a burger. LOL
Pancetta for a vegetarian. Did they think it was a “fake meat” product, soy based pancetta? They really do need to go. BTW, that vegetarian sandwich look like crap w/ or w/o the pancetta. Wouldn’t pay anything for that and I am a vegetarian.

Andrea #1…I thought the same thing about the apple pie. McDonalds.

Chloe & Kelly…why would they cook crab when one is allergic to shellfish and the other does not know how to shell a crab. If H & C don’t go to sudden death then I hope they do.

5 cuisinaire { 03.17.14 at 12:40 pm }

@4 I did not see the show but your comment about allergies to shellfish is interesting since C&K spent yesterday cooking at Mandurah’s CrabFest.

6 Gabby { 03.17.14 at 12:40 pm }

Once again the boys were hopeless but we weren’t expecting anything different. I am pleased the Tassie girls showed everyone that they are able to not only cook desserts. I think they will be a force to be reckoned with. The teachers let themselves down with their dessert, I think they will have to practice more on their sweets.
I read a similar article about Carly and Tresne but no mention of the ‘couple’, however it did cross my mind. Good luck to them, I hope they will be very happy.
I bet, Harry and Christo fluke it through tonight, again!
If by chance they don’t, which I hope they don’t, there is no way they can beat the twins. Is there?

7 Gabby { 03.17.14 at 12:44 pm }

Smythe@4, good one another one they have been caught out on. Allergic to fish and they are up to their armpits in it. What about allergic or hate cheese.
Only when it suits them it seems.

8 Smythe { 03.17.14 at 12:47 pm }

cuisinaire #5 Chloe has mentioned a few times that she is allergic to shellfish and yet they have cooked it. She wasn’t supposed to be the one shelling the crab but Kelly cut herself and wasn’t able to do it so they switched places and Kelly worked on the pasta. However, Chloe cut herself and then couldn’t continue with the crab so they switched again. Interesting that they were cooking at a crab fest.

9 brain dead dave { 03.17.14 at 12:57 pm }

I couldn’t see the episode and listened to it over the dog and bone from interstate.Thanks for the recap,RR. I don’t need to torture myself with the double episode tonight.

Manu bagging the burger was funny as was the tired Jaws music the producers roll out to create the illusion of drama. You can get a dead set gourmet burger made by a real chef and stubby of boutique beer here in Adelaide for well under $20, so where do Harry and Christo get off with their outrageous assessment of the value of their colostomy burger made by culinary cretins?

Why not ramps in lieu of steps on the “foot truck”? The dang thing should have a gallows built into for Harry and Christo.

I’m confused re crustaceans and shellfish. I thought shellfish were oysters etc and crustaceans were crayfish etc and including what Manu calls “craps”.

10 layla { 03.17.14 at 1:09 pm }

@2 Majority of restaurants these days offer vegetarian options. Why shouldn’t we be allowed to dine there if there’s options available? This wasn’t a steak or seafood restaurant.

I’m intrigued to know why it wasn’t even noted that the guys were serving vegetarian burgers as well as beef. So I highly doubt they made their own patties then. Probably store bought from Coles.

I find them somewhat humerous at times but it’s unfair to keep them on for that reason alone. Right now there’s three VIC teams left so my guess is one of those teams (the twins or the boys) will be eliminated.

I definitely got lesbian vibes from Tresne but I didn’t think it was worth mentioning because who really cares? Good for them. Maybe they didn’t want to mention it beforehand because they wanted media to focus on their cooking abilities rather then their sexuality – I don’t blame them at all for that.

11 Jim { 03.17.14 at 1:17 pm }

How Harry and Christo are still in the competition amazes me. They are delusional. It must be rigged. They are terrible ‘cooks’! Obviously there is no audition process for this show. Though serving crappy burgers out of a food truck in Parra seems pretty much perfect for where their abilities are at.

12 Smythe { 03.17.14 at 1:19 pm }

Did Harry and Christo bake their own rolls or were they store bought? ;-)

Layla, they made their own burgers. They were shown grinding pork and adding it to the beef.

13 all happening { 03.17.14 at 1:26 pm }

I know ‘real’ restaurants offer vegetarian options, Layla, but I was referring to the rent-a-crowd choosing one of the 2 mkr pop ups. There was no vegetarian option given in mains by either teams. Just a drama set up me thinks.

14 Culinary Boner { 03.17.14 at 2:01 pm }

MKR voiceover dude Septimus Caton*clears he throat …

“In coming weeks on My Kitchen Rules, Harry and Christo will take the MKR food truck into new territory as they add their own twist to a range of trailer food icons…”
Main – http://media2.apnonline.com.au/img/media/images/2011/10/20/LNS_21-10-2011_EGN_07_LIS201011SHOW02_fct1025x631x115_t460.jpg
Dessert -

* Apparently Maximus and Optimus where unavailable.

** After flirting unsuccessfully with ‘the burger’, the boys opt for safer territory with their range of phallic-inspired food truck classics.

15 Georgie { 03.17.14 at 2:09 pm }

“The Count and Christo, I can hear your mothers calling – time to go home.”

Maybe when we get down to 4 or 5 teams who can actually cook, the competition will start.

16 daisy { 03.17.14 at 2:17 pm }

CB@3, as vegetarian as Harry and Christo veggie burger.
Smythe, I said it yesterday, my 10 and 12 year old grandson could make that burger and fries.
And their veggie burger looked a pretty random selection of ingredients.

17 all happening { 03.17.14 at 2:23 pm }

The veggie burger was a salad roll … oh with pancetta. There was no burger in it.

18 Andrea { 03.17.14 at 2:36 pm }

That’s what I thought too AH, it was just a salad roll, not a vege burger.

19 Smythe { 03.17.14 at 3:15 pm }

I’ve had better vegetarian sandwiches at Subway than what H & C prepared. They heard vegetarian and just threw whatever vegetables they could find on a roll. I would have paid them nothing for that sandwich. Wonder if they fried the potatoes in bacon fat and served those to the vegetarian? :-)

Daisy, a burger would have been OK if there was something unique about it, something gourmet, but this was just a boring burger with boring toppings. AND the vegetarian sandwich was even more boring. BUT boring fits in with the MKR theme for this season.

20 daisy { 03.17.14 at 3:46 pm }

Smythe, I agree with you that most of it looked a bit boring, but then it’s made on a truck by amateurs.

Yeah, I don’t mind a burger for lunch. But to pay more than $6 it would need to be better than a drive-in burger.

21 Littlepetal { 03.17.14 at 5:31 pm }

RR, the official website didn’t hide the fact they Carly and Tresne are living in the same house.
They said:

We bought duplexes next door to each other, so we rent out Tresne’s and live in mine,” says Carly.

Adds Tresne: “We also have an investment property together which I renovated and designed myself.”

They also have travelled together. My initial thought was they are a couple but I am not too sure and it make no different whether they are or not.

Yes, Harry and Christo didn’t make a veggie burger with some veggie patty. Not fair to expect that as this is not really a true restaurant and they have the menu on the board.

I still think it was staged. Suddenly they found some big mushrooms. I would not pay for the veggie burger when it was just a few lettuce leaves, mushrooms and where is the dressing?

22 daisy { 03.17.14 at 5:49 pm }

Littlepetal, I love field mushrooms but I can’t see how they wouldn’t be terrible in a burger. For starters they’d be soggy but the taste would be wrong too.

23 Gidgitvonlarue { 03.17.14 at 6:00 pm }

The boys could have easily ‘upgraded’ that burger by using venison – and maybe truffle shaved over the patty and rather than lettuce use rocket – something like that.

Still I do like them purely for entertainment reasons. Harry ‘taking the piss’ is pretty amusing in their piece to camera.

I’m ‘over’ the food truck as well but I think we are going to be seeing it a lot more. Ch 7 obviously coughed up quite a bit of dosh to create it so they are going to make the most of it.

They need to challenge them a lot more – like they all have to come up with a chicken dish – or a vegetarian dish or make a dish using certain herbs etc.

Chloe and Kelly keep ‘moving the goal posts’ regarding what they like, what they don’t like – what they can do and so on. I really cannot stand them. If it’s an ‘act’ it’s working a treat. If that is really how they are – they are pretty horrid.

24 Georgie { 03.17.14 at 6:02 pm }

#21 & 22 – I made burgers for dinner one night last week gice and cooked up sliced onions, mushrooms and chopped garlic. I did them tossed in butter on the bbq and used them as a topping for the lean beef patty. As Manu would say – ” eet wus yumm”.

25 daisy { 03.17.14 at 6:14 pm }

Fried in butter (as Manu would like eet) with onions, pepper and salt and eaten on zee toast.

26 PollyB { 03.17.14 at 6:15 pm }

Yep, this is getting boring. Same old each week. I want to see them cooking, not squashed up in a truck screaming at each other.
Harry & Christo are very bad. I heard Tresne on radio about 1/2 ago. Her reasoning for the cock up with the pancetta is it is so full on in the truck.
I thought Apple Turnover for the fried apple pie. Can get it at the local Fish n Chip. Tresne said that people were asking for the recipe they liked it so much.
Bree really does my head in.
Monday whinge fest over now.

27 Littlepetal { 03.17.14 at 7:47 pm }

Dsisyy, Harry and Christo is cooking a Chicken Laksa. They are doing a 5 spice chicken to put in the Laksa!!!! 5 spice in Laksa, ha ha ha

28 emp { 03.17.14 at 9:42 pm }

When undercooked chicken triumphs over a laksa you know you’re not good at cooking

29 Littlepetal { 03.17.14 at 9:50 pm }

The laksa must be really bad. They can’t even cooked the vermicelli properly. The vermicelli looked overcooked and mushy to me. Even the recipe on the website is different from the one cooked by Harry.

30 daisy { 03.17.14 at 10:19 pm }

Oh Yuk, Littlepetal. Do you mean Chinese 5 spices?

Woolif makes a good laksa but I have a young Korean gf who makes the best one in the world.

31 emp { 03.17.14 at 10:21 pm }

the MKR facebook page is going nuts, people are outraged chloe and kelly aren’t in sudden death tomorrow

32 layla { 03.17.14 at 10:38 pm }

@31 Probably teenage girls & housewives who have P!nk as their profile picture…

Bree made some snobby comment tonight that made me say “shut up you horse teethed &@*##” honestly; her true colours are coming out.

Yeah no surprise Hopeless Harry & Crisis Christo are finally in SD. I’ll admit they’re funny, but it can only get you so far in this comp. No way are the twins going home.

33 Stacey { 03.17.14 at 11:06 pm }

Missed tonight’s episode but am still surprised that Harry and Christo are still there. On the other hand I forgot about Harrys accident, how extremely unfortunate and I wish him a swift recovery. Please get better soon Harry.

Also Carly and Tresne… my ‘gaydar’ is usually spot on but in this case I really didn’t see it coming. I almost feel homo phobic because of this! A lot of people are saying ‘oh it shouldn’t matter’, and that’s true, but Yeh. Didn’t pick that one.

34 Zhee { 03.17.14 at 11:13 pm }

The twins will only lose if they cook up an old shoe in a pot as main and serve the shoe laces as side.
If Harry and Christo will be better, this show officially died a painful death.

I find it weird that it wasn’t openly presented that Carly and Tresne are a couple. Maybe they chose to keep it low key or the producers think it’s too awkward for their viewers? I know a lot people who have problems with lesbians (esp. if they are pretty) but don’t mind seeing gay guys…

35 brain dead dave { 03.17.14 at 11:23 pm }

A couple of drovers dogs could thrash Harry and Christo tomorrow night. Harry’s the Laksa expert and Christo’s cooked Turdillas before (albeit once). As soon as I saw Harry overdose the Laksa with chilli it descended into a cringefest.

I’ve watched a double episode of MKR tonight. Those veggie burgers really were a deal breaker.

I didn’t pick Carly and Tresne either. Dr Evil and KRudd, on the other hand made MKR one long Mardi Gras while they were there.

36 Stacey { 03.17.14 at 11:26 pm }

Hey Layla, agree with all of your posts to date. ‘We share half a brain’ haha.

Also agree Zhee, about the double standard re gay men and lesbians. Effing ridiculous!

37 brain dead dave { 03.18.14 at 12:26 am }

I just grilled some steakettes with the paper still on,gice. Harry and Christo inspired me after all.

38 Georgie { 03.18.14 at 12:40 am }

Gives them a genuine smoked flavour bdd.

39 daisy { 03.18.14 at 2:50 am }

As I said Portlandia can be hit and miss.

40 Smythe { 03.18.14 at 6:46 am }

Too bad they didn’t pass on the second challenge and send both Harry & Christo and Chloe & Kelly to sudden death. That would have been a twist and a good one. H & C cook a burger, cook a Spanish omelette…this is supposed to be a cooking show with competitive level dishes. What will they cook for sudden death:
hard boiled eggs for entree (Chloe and Kelly already did that, though, with their quail eggs), fish filet McD style for main and for dessert yogurt with a few slices of fresh fruit or some milk and cookies?

41 brain dead dave { 03.18.14 at 7:17 am }

My “dream” Harry and Christos’ Sudden Death Menu:

Entree~ Home Brand Tomato Soup w/Home Brand White Bread soldiers

Main~ Toasted Vegemite sandwiches with Home Brand White Bread.

Dessert ~ Home Brand Canned Sliced Peaches w/Weight Watchers Vanilla Ice Cream and Hundreds and Thousands.

42 Georgie { 03.18.14 at 7:46 am }

Thanks for the breakfast laugh bdd. I really like the hundreds and thousands touch there at the end.

43 Georgie { 03.18.14 at 7:52 am }

Daisy #39 – Portlandia has captions so that’s a big plus. I liked the “pastrami sandwich” cafe order – I could relate to that experience. I was also writing emails during the show, so didn’t give it my full attention. Will tune in again next week and concentrate this time.

44 Sandii { 03.18.14 at 8:28 am }

BDD @ 41, have you been to my house for Sunday night dinner. We are probably a bit more up market with tiger toast. You know, when you spread vegemite and put strips of cheese….

45 Amy { 03.18.14 at 9:35 am }

I keep thinking with the way Carly & Tresne talk to each other, “They sounds like a couple!”.

It really bothers me that it’s not acknowledged – unless it was their decision, but when you think about all the other couples on the show who are always shown giving each other affection… why is it any different? Channel 7 shows have been pretty conservative with casting decisions generally I find. Makes me mad. It’s 2014 ffs.

As for the episode? I don’t remember anything that happened beyond my fantasies about dirty kitchen threesomes with Colin and Manu. Wait, what?

46 layla { 03.18.14 at 11:52 am }

I don’t think anyone would have an issue with Carly & Tresne being being affectionate towards each other (especially with them both being young & blonde) as I believe lesbian couples are more “accepted” than gays in this PC society. But as I said in an earlier post they probably want people to focus on their cooking abilities rather than their sexuality.

Stacey, great minds think alike! Happy to share my brain with you. ;)

47 Sandii { 03.18.14 at 12:05 pm }

I guess Carly and Tresne didnt think it was important to the show. I think with Carly being a teacher she may have wanted to keep it low key.

48 Bel { 03.18.14 at 2:04 pm }

Carly & Tresne hey…. I’m only surprised that the producers haven’t made a big deal of how progressive they think they are, ie, captioning them with “The Lesbians” instead of their professions. MC made a big enough deal over Christina being gay, for instance.

49 brain dead dave { 03.18.14 at 2:13 pm }

I find The Block’s white supremacist heterocentric style much more hideous, myself.

50 Bel { 03.18.14 at 2:35 pm }

Eeek BDD. Sounds nasty. Since my partner is a chippy that show is banned in our house. It does a terrible disservice to actual tradesmen. I’ll have to take your word for it :)

51 daisy { 03.18.14 at 3:48 pm }

Layla@46, you had me imagining some fabulous girl on girl that would really make a good hook.
The girls generating their own steam and then cooking dumplings.
Instead poor Tresna looks a bit supressed.