My Kitchen Rules – Harry and Christo Decide Not To Cook Anything

harry and christo mac

Meme from FACEBOOK.

Harry and Christo must have decided last night not to cook anything. That was OK for their entree of Tuna Carpaccio but not so great for the Wagyu Beef and Espresso Creme Brulee.

The boys were up against Vikki and Helena in a sudden death cook-off and the girls decided to stick with their Greek heritage and cook Mussels Saganaki,  Moussaka for main and a Raspberry Banana Cakes with Sweet Dukkah and lemon curd for dessert. I note this is the second time they have dished up lemon curd as they served it with their honey balls in one of the food truck challenge.

Even though at this point of the competition the twins are not really a cooking force they were not going to have any trouble knocking Harry and Christo out unless they started chopping their fingers off in prep. They didn’t.

Even though the judges praised the Tuna Carpaccio even though it had raw garlic and a mound of chilli on it the rest of their dishes were a mess. In fact they were told it was dish of the day.

The steak main was inedible as Harry decided to cook it rare not taking into account that Wagyu is fatty and he did not render the fat off it. In fact Colin Fassnidge did not hold back and said the only thing edible on the plate was the Bernaise Sauce. The chips were soggy and no one was really eating the beans either.

Their dessert of Espresso Creme Brulee was not cooked long enough and was a liquid mess. The judges were too kind and said it had great flavours. Liz Egan, Karen Martini and Manu and Pete were far too generous in their scoring giving the boys are six. Colin Fassnidge gave the most realistic score of a four considering only one course was edible.

The twins food was given a fair review. The Saganaki was good, Karen Martini liked the Moussaka but thought it was too oily whereas Liz did not think it was a problem. However all the judgest thought their Cake with Cream Cheese Icing was pedestrian and more like a cup cake rather than dessert. They easily scored 40 points which thankfully knocked out Harry and Christo. Viewers were sighing a collective thank God, but Tassie girl Bianca was having to blink away tears.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN Sunday’s at 6.30pm and Monday to Wednesday at 7.30pm.

1 Smythe { 03.20.14 at 3:03 am }

What is it with the hairstyles? Are the producers choosing the styles? We have Manu’s animal on his head, Chloe and Kelly channeling Annie with their braids, Carly’s 1940s or thereabouts victory roll type hairstyle. Are they trying out for the new program My Hair Rules? Are these samples of some of the upcoming styles?

2 PoRk ChOp { 03.20.14 at 8:28 am }

Smythe, it was your raspberry and banana liqueur cake that made me believe that you are a cooking God :)

Smythe #51 Victory Rolls is right, although, I was thinking, Carly’s head had a few Cannoli clipped on the top.

Sometimes, Uel can be almost as difficult, to understand as Manu’s disordered speech. What I thought I heard: Uel to Darling: “Baby, are we cooking your Dad tonight?!?!”

3 PoRk ChOp { 03.20.14 at 8:31 am }

Jay #43…very funny…zenku

4 Ryan { 03.20.14 at 9:07 am }

My last name is McDonald, and I assure you Harry and Christo are NOT my brothers, although we do share a lack in culinary skills. C’mon, McDonald’s is still cooking, that’s an insult to the franchise!

5 Sandii { 03.20.14 at 9:15 am }

Is it me, but isnt it really, really obvious that the team that has the most tokens/votes is the winner and the team that doesnt get any votes, a la Cathy and Voldemort , should be the deemed the worst dish of the day?

6 Sandii { 03.20.14 at 9:18 am }

Maybe Voldemort was a tad unkind. Maybe a bit more like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. I think there was a bit of head spinning going on last night.

7 Georgie { 03.20.14 at 9:28 am }
8 Smythe { 03.20.14 at 9:50 am }

Thanks for the laughs re: Voldemort, Exorcist’s Linda Blair and Tiffany.

Pork Chop#52 Thanks. Never made a banana raspberry liqueur cake but used to bake lots of cakes and one of the best was a Black Forest cake with added liqueur. Think I used kirsch??? My mother used to make something called a Harvey Wallbanger cake and she didn’t spare the Galliano or vodka. Another good cake is the Tequila Sunrise cake. I think Manu would give me high scores if I made any of these for dessert or actually anything with added liquor/liqueur. There are lots of recipes for cointreau cakes. :-)

I am planning on baking some lemon shortbread but no alcohol will be added. :-(

9 Carrie { 03.20.14 at 9:55 am }

CL your very funny post @ 35 really made me laugh out loud. It read like a novel. So many other great posts as well.

10 Smythe { 03.20.14 at 9:57 am }
11 Andrea { 03.20.14 at 9:59 am }

Good one Smythe, I have that movie, what an obnoxious child she was.
Anna has been thoroughly spoilt by her mother.

12 Sandii { 03.20.14 at 10:03 am }

Georgie, that photo was really scary. I have never seen the movie and quite frankly, if that was a character, I wont be seeing it any time soon.

13 PoRk ChOp { 03.20.14 at 10:27 am }

Jay #37…yes, for those of us who were raised with good manners, to respect ourselves, and others, in particular our parents, the way, in which, Anna treats her mother, is shocking. Cathy should have shoved her daughter’s face into the Rendang

I fear for the mother…she does tend to squeeze her head between her hands a LOT. I have seen some very neurotic people do that. Psych probs can have a tendency to run in families, too. Further, Anna is a bit too thin – keeping in mind, too, that, when people are on TV they tend to look 5 kilos heavier. Perhaps there are some skeletons in the Cats Bottom-Pouts’ large walk in closets.

14 layla { 03.20.14 at 10:38 am }

Bit late to the party with my comments, but first off, THANK THE LORD the boys have gone. Sweet, but hopeless. I read on twitter a fan commented that she saw Bianca & Harry get out of a taxi together in Melbourne. Gossip for now.

I like Karen. I don’t like Liz. Can’t trust a skinny chef.

I didn’t watch last night’s episode as I went shopping but I’ve read Chloe & Kelly won people’s choice. For all we know, it could have been by a single vote.

Don’t like Anna. As soon as she walked through the door I thought she was a snob. I’ll never trust a skinny, blonde woman. Never.

15 Andrea { 03.20.14 at 10:51 am }

Good to see you back Layla.
The “people’s choice” never works, they don’t taste everything.
May as well let the judges decide best and worst dish.

16 PoRk ChOp { 03.20.14 at 10:59 am }

CL #35, 49…zo vunderfool. I lufft doze.

Smythe, I might bake a Cointreau cake for our favourite Napoleonic meme – I’m sure, we have all noticed the way, in which, he places his arms, nowadays. I could “beaverize” (thx bdd), the top of the cake, with some very thick chocolate frosting.

I’ve made Cassis au Delice (with blueberry liqueur), Various Grande Marnier orange creations…actually, when I think of it, most of my baking has benefited from adding booze. I managed to put a little bit of whiskey in last Xmas’ Malteser Cake.

“The Bad Seed” – I’ve seen that movie at least 6 times, and the little girl is still frightening!

17 cuisinaire { 03.20.14 at 11:16 am }

@55 Necessary but selective editing doesn’t allow the viewer to see every vote cast. Top votes won the “People’s Choice” however I think that Pete and Manu were the ones to select the worst. Both agreed that C&T’s prawns were very tasty even though the rice was undercooked; they disagreed over the rendang, Pete enjoyed it; but neither deemed the food prepared by J&D to be of any merit.

18 brain dead dave { 03.20.14 at 11:35 am }

These shows , regardless of whether it’s Ma$terchef, MKR or Big Brother NEVER divulge the actual numbers of votes. Furthermore , it’s written in stone that the result is always “down to he wire”.

There’s more holes in these methods than in Oscar Pistorius’ bathroom door.

Believe the producers and you’ll believe anything. Horse Head and Jaws are money in the bank for them.

19 cuisinaire { 03.20.14 at 12:01 pm }

And there’ll be melodrama aplenty Sunday night when Jessica throws the teatowel in.

20 Jay { 03.20.14 at 12:15 pm }

PoRkChOp 63 – yes I think those of us who we’re taught to value manners would be horrified at our own behavior if we were to treat another so rudely however some of these contestants are just quite happily able to excuse their behavior as ‘a bad edit’ and lack the ability to self reflect.
Here’s a thought – don’t speak rudely and don’t say nasty things and you can’t have them edited into the show.
As for cooking with alcohol – there is a place for alcohol in cooking but I prefer to avoid the middleman and drink direct!

21 brain dead dave { 03.20.14 at 12:26 pm }

On Sunday night, after all the blather and melodrama cuisinaire refers to , I fully expect Jessica will receive an eleventh hour pep talk from Colin Fassnidge, exhorting loyalty,teamwork and the folly of trashing the “woonce in a loiftoime upportoonitea” of MKR which magically re-ignites her “passion” for food and her delusional culinary “dream”.

22 Littlepetal { 03.20.14 at 12:31 pm }

Also I think the white group will win the challenge and send WA girls to the Rapid cook off. The twins can then continue with their feud.

23 Georgie { 03.20.14 at 12:33 pm }

And if this melodrama is ignited by people leaving the ‘restaurant’ before they’ve eaten, we can be certain it’s scripted. Who in their right mind would pass up a free meal AND the chance to get their mug on TV? Someone on the payroll, that’s who.

24 layla { 03.20.14 at 12:46 pm }

Yeah I saw the preview where Jessica has a hissy fit. No doubt it’ll be for all of 5 minutes.

Are the gruesome twosome safe from elimination this week or do they recieve another advantage?

Also, for them to get bad scores for two instant restaurant rounds & then suddenly getting all this praise – I’m not buying it. No way have they practiced cooking off screen like Dan & Steph did. As others have said, producers just want to keep them on as long as possible to keep viewers talking.

Question is, will they be given the flick before the twins or afterwards?

25 daisy { 03.20.14 at 1:27 pm }

Agree, Anna was out of order and is probably worse in private. I bet she is really rude when she doesn’t get the sercice she wants from waiters or receptionists etc. And Cathy, not sure why she just takes it.

Re Jessdown, I stopped believing proms ages ago.

Sandii, I put a link up for you on the last MKR thread.

26 daisy { 03.20.14 at 1:34 pm }

I would have liked to have seen the hideous cream horns on Carly’s head actually filled with cream and custard.

That hairdo alone warns me never to sign up to MKR madness.
The production hairdressers is tripping. And certainly going braid crazy. I think we can spend the rest of the comp viewing the outlandish, over the top dos.
Oh and I googled. By the smoothness, it’s a headless garden variety duck on Manu’s head. I would love to see them just shape the front up a bit more and put the head and beak on.

27 Sandii { 03.20.14 at 1:44 pm }

Hi Daisy, I can find your link to me…there are so many threads going, I am struggling to keep up.

28 Sandii { 03.20.14 at 1:53 pm }

argh* can*t find link

29 Georgie { 03.20.14 at 2:03 pm }

Here’s Daisy’s post copied/pasted, with the link Sandii.

84daisy { 03.19.14 at 11:47 pm }
Down on the sheep farm.
Just for Mr Sandii.

30 Sandii { 03.20.14 at 2:07 pm }

Thanks daisy and Georgie, I will show him. Haha good one!

31 daisy { 03.20.14 at 2:58 pm }

Thanks for that Georgie.

Yeah Sandii I think we will all come for a farm stay.
And to get a back-side Brazilian.

Too rude.

32 Carrie { 03.20.14 at 6:51 pm }

BDD loved your post at 71 and Daisy loved your take on Manu’s hair. Hilarious!

33 daisy { 03.20.14 at 7:06 pm }

Thanks Carrie, always happy to give and take a good laugh, even at Manu’s expense 😉

34 Calorie Loader { 03.20.14 at 7:13 pm }

Smythe@51 Thanks for those hair-do’s-very cool!! My fave was the helicopter! I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s Ch7’s next venture-they can’t seem to get away from the Rules….My Kitchen, My Restaurant, My House, My Head.

Carrie@59 and PoRk ChOp@66 many thanks gice, my pleasure.

Andrea@65 Agreed. Unless the public taste every dish available it’s not a ‘favourite’ dish, it’s lucky dip. No doubt producers are organizing or encouraging the crowds to move into certain spots on the scene?

BDD@71 completely agree re the promo and great Fassnidge too :)

Daisy-ripper of a sheep shearing 😆

35 daisy { 03.20.14 at 7:17 pm }

Yeah Calorie, I think it’s roast lamb rump tonight at down on the farm.

36 Smythe { 03.21.14 at 1:12 am }

Pork Chop #66 As Pete Evans would say, “Yum”. Those cakes sound good. You should consider entering The Great Australian Bake Off.

As for the Manu cake, LOL. You need to carefully style that chocolate frosting.

37 PoRk ChOp { 03.21.14 at 5:03 pm }

Thx Smythe @86…I also did a Tiramisu Trifle with Kahlua, Mangomisu with Grande Marnier. I make celebration cakes for family parties, however my elderly great aunts looked as though they had been into the cooking sherry, after eating those.

I was looking at my baking supplies this arv, and lo and behold, I have a bottle of Cointreau…perhaps I will make a “Manumisu,” and I will sculpt that beaver, with great care :)

Jay @70…I had better keep you away from my booze :)

38 daisy { 03.21.14 at 5:15 pm }

And you don’ know, you don’, you don’knooooow…how glad I am.

How fabulous are these 60s songs. Beats the Sexercise Ball.

Neddle in Haystack…what I say!

Sorry guys I am high on 60s.

PC, sculpt that beaver. 😆 Manu is channeling the 60s beehive.
Can we put some plastic hoop earings and fishnet stockings on him?

39 PoRk ChOp { 03.22.14 at 7:49 am }

Dais, one never knows…Manu might enjoy wearing lady things/bits.

“Sculpt that Beaver” – sounds like a title for a rap. Not inspired to write one this morning but I might put one together in coming days.

Have a great weekend, gice

40 Smythe { 03.22.14 at 7:53 am }

Pork Chop You must take a photo of the Manumisu and also post your recipe as well as your sculpting techniques. :-)

Instead of frosting you may want to use fondant.

AND you have a great weekend, too.