My Kitchen Rules – Jessica Melts Down In The Heat Of The Kitchen

Jessica showed she is not good under pressure and melted down twice when she was head chef on the final food truck challenge. As the two of them were the only ones on their team that had not been in the lead role they had no choice but not to step up.

Jessica did not want to take the maitre’d role as she had not done that before so went with head chef. Sure it is stressful but how hard can it be when there is only one appetiser, two mains and one dessert? Of course it was not helped by Bree’s weird way of taking orders.

Why not just have a code  like A x 2 for appetisers, and again a code of either K for kangaroo or S by spatchcock with the number of amount needed beside it. Jessica had fallen apart before the orders had even hit storming off when she realised their entree of Moreton Bay Bugs with Citrus Salad was mushy. Bree had to follow her and do her best Kath impression “Look at me, look at me” to motivate her.

Then later Jessica when the pass was turning into a clusterf**k said “I don’t know what I am doing anymore, I’m sorry guys” she then walked off “I ruined it for everyone”. She did as their teams main courses were both pretty good.

Needless to say even the ever placid Shanelle started getting a bit uptight. She was miffed that her and Uel’s Grilled Spatchcock was one of the best dishes they had served and there were diners walking off as the wait must have been too long. Also I don’t get once it started going pear shaped why they just did not pump out the mains with Bree going around offering any dish to the diners. At least they would have eaten. But hey it is easy being an armchair critic.

Chloe and Kelly as the winners of the peoples choice had the advantage of picking the ingredients they wanted to cook with. They chose lamb rump, squid and spanish mackerel and fruit, leaving the bugs, kangaroo and spatchcock for the white team.

The WA girls decided they would be the head chef and maitre’d. Chloe boasted that she was born to lead, no she was born delusional. They decided to cure the mackerel and it was a brave move as an hour and a half is not a lot of time to fillet and cure fish. They added a watercress salad and wasabi mayonnaise. It looked like they added the MKR fall back ingredient avocado, however that could have just been a giant dob of the may. The judges did love it and  Manu said he was really enjoying it.

On the same team Cathy and Anna made Lamb Rump with Asparagus and Spring Bean Salad. This time Cathy actually cooked it through. However since she was resting it for ten minutes it was going cold and was being sent back. This sent Anna into a tiss and was in tears. She is a tad highly strung and also told her mother not to be involved in the plating up. The received good reviews from the judges.

The Tassie girls did as well and Pete said Thalia and Bianca were the team to watch in the competition. They  made a beautiful Mediterranean Stuffed Squid with Roasted Tomato Salsa. Bianca was also confident telling Colin Fassnidge that they did not need to roast the tomatoes whilst they are prepping the squid as they said it would not take them that long. She was right.

The weakest linke were Carly and Tresne were making White Chocolate Profiteroles with Summer Berries who over cooked some beautiful looking berries. However they would have had to have given the diners food poisoning to lose the challenge for the team.

Vikki and Helena’s dessert of Macadamia and Pistachio with Honey Custard and Crostoli looked delicious but it was not enough to over come the bad service. Bree and Jessica’s team lost and tonight will be cooking off to try and avoid getting sent to the sudden death cook off against Josh and Danielle.

1 emp { 03.24.14 at 11:10 am }
2 cam2 { 03.24.14 at 11:35 am }

this was a good episode. last food truck! wonder what challenge they will do from now on, maybe it will still use the food truck, but not as an instant restaurant ?
chloe and kelly (never remember which one is which) was a very good head chef. very impressed. and cathy and anna have quite a funny dynamic about them. i like seeing cathy’s facial expressions when they get good news.

i think id probably want Bree and jess to go to SD or maybe Paul and Blair. actually i don’t mind, just as long as its not Uel and Shannelle. i like them best of the four teams.

3 layla { 03.24.14 at 11:42 am }

I did feel for Jess somewhat last night. I can’t cope well under pressure either. I thought Bree would have been head chef with her pushy nature.

Rolling my eyes at Anna & her crocodile tears. “Oh we need to let the lamb rest” – the average bogan Joe customer wouldn’t have known or cared. Just serve it hot.

I hope Paul & Blair are safe tonight.

4 Sandii { 03.24.14 at 12:11 pm }

Jess was probably only “putting it on” so she could cop a feel with Colin. Wah, Wah, oooh Colin!

5 Gidgitvonlarue { 03.24.14 at 12:11 pm }

Looks like mum Jess is going to have yet ANOTHER melt down tonight. Her aunt Flo must be visiting for a few days?

And Uel and Shannelle’s spatch cock dish looked absolutely delicious! I’m even going to look up that recipe. I love that glistening sticky looking poultry. I’m also going to look up that squid dish. Those two young ladies sure can cook!

Both Bree and Jess were both a mess. Talk about falling apart like a tissue in a pool.

6 daisy { 03.24.14 at 12:18 pm }

Those two couldn’t even manage a school canteen duty.
Bree was even worse than Jess, I thought because she made Jess’s job more difficult by being such a ditsy waitress.

7 brain dead dave { 03.24.14 at 1:03 pm }

I won’t mind if Jessica has another meltdown tonight. It will take some more camera time from the tiresome pseud feud between Greece and WA.

Not sure if the “foot truck” was a howling success. Those hired hands washing up in the background were distracting. I guess now Kom -Back Kitschen will make a comeback.

8 Smythe { 03.24.14 at 1:17 pm }

Glad that was the last food truck. Just wish it was also the last of Chloe & Kelly. Jess & Bree need to go…they should just step up to the plate, take responsibility for the failure of their team and bow out gracefully. Of course the producers won’t let them do that (not that they would volunteer to leave anyway). I hope they don’t do well in the cook off and wind up in sudden death.

9 Sandii { 03.24.14 at 1:41 pm }

GVL … Aunty Flo!… bahahaha! You are going to get me sacked from my job if I keep laughing so loud!

10 Rosie { 03.24.14 at 4:20 pm }

Tonight should be verrry interrresting. While Jessica and Bree did a great job in their instant restaurant, Jessica clearly cracked under the strain last night, and for that reason alone I hope they are the couple heading for instant de….er…Sudden Death.

Count me as another who is glad to see the end of the foot truck. I’m sure it’s well insured, so maybe the driver could “accidentally” leave the hand brake off while it’s parked a bit too close to a very steep cliff somehere? Just a thought.

11 TickledPink { 03.24.14 at 4:21 pm }

Perhaps Bree would have been better off as head chef? As she seems to like to take control. Wouldn’t it be less pressure waitressing?

12 Calorie Loader { 03.24.14 at 4:24 pm }

Apart from missing using the term ‘foot truck’ I’m glad that was the last one. I did think they might string it out once more with 3 teams on each side-but I guess that would have made for no choices in any course and made the Maitre D almost obsolete, ‘will you be having the lamb or the lamb?’ Guess they couldn’t risk the humiliation of docket cock ups on this one. (not saying it would be easy the rest of the time though-esp with Colin every 5 seconds, ‘aar yew leedn yer team? Hoew?’ and when you make sure everyone else is tended to, ‘where ar the appetizers at? Yew should be on top of em yeah? Serrrrvice in thirrty mins’. ‘Yes Colin, I mean yes Chef.’ So it’s back to the appetizers and sure enough, ‘yer teem’s fallin apart-they needjya! a mean witdoubt a leeder..it’ll all jus…well fall apart….hoog anywon?Ya migh jus be looky enooff ter get a sniff of me pig fat hare.’ Then.. ”Whatterya doin? There’s no time for hoogs…service in 25minutes!’ 5minutes later…, ‘Aarrr you gonna be ready for service?’ ‘I think so chef’ ‘well ether you aar or you aarrn’t. Ya need ta getyar teem together’ 2 minutes later once head chef decides it’s time for a group pep talk, ‘whatteyer doin? it’s notta convention, stop taaalkn and start moovin’…. 5 minutes till service, ‘cun everywon jus stop for a minute. When I say soomthn it’s ‘yes chef’. Well whattayar all lookin at? only 3 minutes till service? Stop standin there loike stooned moollets and mooove!! Tis is gonna be a disaaarrster.’

Manu continued to deliver with his interpretation of what Cathy and Anna cooked, ‘You kooked lum rump with aspara goose and spring bin salad.’
A few rounds into the Cointreau and he seemed to think punters were being treated to some other form of entertainment other than kitchen baked goods, ‘hopfully the profiterole was eeenough for these costimers to pay their mummify’

13 Littlepetal { 03.24.14 at 5:03 pm }

Taking orders in this round is not difficult. Diners only have to chose Mains 1 or 2. Everyone will have the same entree and desserts.

Bree was not very helpful with the orders.

So another round of Instant Restaurant. I think they will do it when we are down to 6 teams. Maybe 1 team from each state?

14 layla { 03.24.14 at 5:28 pm }

Smythe@8 Wishful thinking. Like Bree would bow out gracefully. Her head is shoved too far up her own ar$e to do so.

Instant restaurant rounds are definitely my favourite part of MKR viewing so that’s fantastic news.

The ads tell us the mums are in trouble but that usually means the opposite will happen. I think it’ll be the twins again or Uel & Shanelle unfortunately.

15 Ali { 03.24.14 at 5:28 pm }

Evidently Roseanne rang – she wants her trailer home back.

Jess and Brie: the biggest meltdown since 70’s fondue was high class eating.

I really didn’t think Colon was much help in the beginning. When Jess’s panic was only nascent (y’know, like the stage when you’re just dry retching but you haven’t fully upchucked yet), Colon’s solution was to make her look out the window at the swarming hoards that were massing, for which they were totally unprepared. How was that going to allay her fears?

On a previous Trailer Trash challenge, the twins served a prawn appetiser in similar glasses and were criticised by the judges because it was deemed too awkward to eat. I fully expected the same comment, mais non, the judges have since changed their minds as this dessert was pronounced Dish of the Day.

16 PoRk ChOp { 03.24.14 at 5:46 pm }

Manu on the fish salad…”dez ze pitiful salary unnerneef.”

17 Morgan { 03.24.14 at 8:21 pm }

Should be an interesting episode tonight, the four teams cooking tonight are probably the strongest teams left. Whoever goes into Sudden Death shouldn’t have any problem beating Jason and Danielle.

18 Littlepetal { 03.24.14 at 8:24 pm }

But Josh and Danielle are the dark horse! They may safe themselves to cook for another day.

19 Sandii { 03.24.14 at 8:57 pm }

It is really obviously that bree and Jess aren’t feeling the love for each other. Seems very frosty.

20 Georgie { 03.24.14 at 9:07 pm }

I agree Sandii and I think it’s affecting Jess more than Bree – she’s not as thick skinned.

21 Sandii { 03.24.14 at 9:12 pm }

Bree keeps giving Jess the old “stink eye”

22 Littlepetal { 03.24.14 at 9:18 pm }

Bree keep saying its your recipe. They really dodged the bullet tonight. Instead of getting better with the cooking, they are going backwards.

Really like the dads.

23 Georgie { 03.24.14 at 9:22 pm }
24 Sandii { 03.24.14 at 9:25 pm }

It does seem like their friendship has gone to shit.

25 Georgiet2 { 03.24.14 at 9:39 pm }

Maybe there friendship was what was served up on a plate tonight. Poor Uel & Shannelle.

26 Frenchy { 03.24.14 at 9:54 pm }

Poor Uel and Shanelle indeed. Jess was clearly trying to escape Bree’s hug when they finished platting up, it was so awkward. I can’t believe they messed up their molten cake while it’s so easy just to add a piece of chocolate in the centre of the cake before cooking it – you can then cook it for a bit longer and be guaranteed a perfectly runny chocolate centre.

27 Littlepetal { 03.24.14 at 9:59 pm }

Frenchy, smart people think alike!!!! I do that all the time and it never fails.

28 emp { 03.24.14 at 10:13 pm }

i get the feeling the producers know who they want to see gone. i think it will be U and S tomorrow. there will also be an “epic” showdown between chloe and kelly and helena and vic.

final four will be the QLD dads, TAS girls, Bree/Jess and Chloe and kelly. im judging this on all the edits everyone has gotten so far.

29 Morgan { 03.24.14 at 10:16 pm }

Pete doesn’t even try to hide his bias. Once he started going on how good Bree and Jess’ cowpat cake tasted, I knew they going to be safe. Uel and Shannell got robbed big time.

30 Sandii { 03.24.14 at 10:16 pm }

Emp it does get very predictable with regards to the edits. As soon as anyone says ” we are going home for sure “, it is guaranteed they are safe.

31 emp { 03.24.14 at 10:27 pm }

yeah sandii i agree with that too. also i dont think that bree and jess are going any time soon. the “meltdown” is a just a part of their story and they’re in it for the long haul. they’re not gonna show the mums cracking it this week, save them and boot them next week.

the real dark horses in the comp are cathy and anna, i forgot about them in my assessment

32 daisy { 03.25.14 at 1:39 am }

Tonight Chloe made some smug remark and then pulled the worst smug face.
I don’t mind Josh and Danielle but I would rather see U&S win tomorrow.
But omg, why all that salt. I would only use that much if I was gargling a sore throat.

33 daisy { 03.25.14 at 1:49 am }

Zhee, are you awake?
I just watched the one where Jenna dates ‘herself’.
I always think of you now when there is something funny on 30R.
I mean that in a good way, of course.

34 daisy { 03.25.14 at 1:53 am }

The only ones I really don’t like are Bree, and Chloe and Kelly.

Anna is a bit of a spoilt princess and Carly grates on my nerves a bit.
My favs are probably the Tassie girls, the boys and US.

Best cooks? Maybe the Tassie girls.

35 Smythe { 03.25.14 at 4:30 am }

Two disastrous desserts. Too bad the show doesn’t have some flexibility and send both teams to sudden death. If I was served either of those dishes I would send them back. That was NOT mousse and it was NOT a molten lava cake. Agree with Carly’s description re: Bree’s and Jess’s dessert….cowpie. Shanelle kept throwing in salt and didn’t appear that she was tasting after each addition unless that was just edited out. The contestants really need to remember to taste everything and taste frequently.

Hoping U & E stay in the competition but have the feeling that producers will want to keep the molecular gastronomy team.

36 Littlepetal { 03.25.14 at 7:25 am }

The promo showed some beautifully plated dishes. Some looked like those Josh and Danielle will do

37 Ryan { 03.25.14 at 9:23 am }

I’ve just worked out who Chloe reminds me of. Yes, she has a cheshire cat smile when her teeth are bared, but when she smiles without her teeth showing, tell me that’s not Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory looking pleased with himself. It’s uncanny!

38 Culinary Boner { 03.25.14 at 10:17 am }

Uel and Shannelle can cook, BUT can they taste?
Last night wasn’t the first time their palate, rather than technique, destroyed the dish.

39 Littlepetal { 03.25.14 at 10:24 am }

You are right, CB

40 daisy { 03.25.14 at 11:09 am }

Palate might be an issue for both teams in tonight’s cook off.

Shanelle throwing salt in last night reminded me of an old fable; How the Sea was Salted. What was she thinking? You wouldn’t need to taste it to know it was way too much. “Weeeeeeee!”

41 Zhee { 03.25.14 at 11:20 am }

Daisy, I am finished with 30Rock. I started Modern Family. I love it. So many clichees but in a witty costume.
Didn’t have zeh interwebz for a week as we moved to another apartment. I am currently catching up with the episodes. So glad Dumb and Dumber are finally gone. Even though Harry l0oks like a younger version of my brother in law, I couldn’t stand him…

PS: I realized that babies aren’t as bad as I thought. My sister visited me with my dad and she had her baby girl with her (she’s the cutest little button on earth with beautiful big blue eyes, even though everytime I carried her around she threw up on me… Seems like she really likes her auntie Zhee!).

42 brain dead dave { 03.25.14 at 11:26 am }

How about the salt the producers rubbed into the viewers’ wounds with a Mexican stand off between two failing teams?

Yeah, a little more salt would be good Uel, ‘cos this has got to be perfect. It looked like Uel was shovelling gravel into a cement mixer.

Smiling Assassin has done some damage. Should have gone straight to sudden death after foot truck.

43 daisy { 03.25.14 at 11:26 am }

Zhee, how old is the cute little vomitter? I love kids and babies.

I loved Modern Family but in later seaons they have started to talk really fast like it,s funnier that way. I miss half of what they are saying. But I love the characters and when I can make them ou, some very funny lines.

44 Zhee { 03.25.14 at 11:35 am }

It’s fine for me to understand. I only have problems with Gloria’s accent. :) I think I’ll watch one or two episodes now before sleepy time. Will sleep alone tonight anyway as my boyfriend is stuck with Diablo 3 which released it’s expansion today. Yeeh, grown up boys and nerd stuff…

My niece turned 7 months today. Can’t believe she’s already so old. The last time I saw here she wasn’t even 4 weeks old and just made her 3 kilos.

45 Bel { 03.25.14 at 11:55 am }

Both the desserts last night were pretty bad, but I agree the little charming asian couple did more & should’ve won against uncooked cake.

Wouldn’t a choc molten/lava cake that’s undercooked just taste like raw cake mix? Blueerugh. Agree with Frenchy & LittlePetal about sticking a chunk of chocolate in the centre…. surely that’s a better bet, and probably makes the ‘lava’ taste better since it’s actual chocolate and not oozy raw batter.

Firetruck-knows why I’m still watching this. Am really enjoying old MC on Channel One but it’s reminding me how shite MKR is. Right now it’s the open-fire lamb challenge at Matt Moran’s family farm. Gee, that guy comes from cash. Entertaining challenge though- carving up whole carcasses with nothing but fire to cook them on. Can’t see Cathy/Anna, or any of these peeps dealing well with that.

46 daisy { 03.25.14 at 12:06 pm }

Zhee, enjoy and good night. It’s o nly 9am here.
Bel, I am only watching MKR now because of RR.
Emma I think they should be paying you.

47 Zhee { 03.25.14 at 10:10 pm }

MKR seems to get worse from year to year. I still watch it but I don’t know why… Same with MC, I hated last year. Hope season 6 will be better. Does anyone knows when it will start this year? Or if Great Australian Bake Off will be back? I enjoyed the first season a lot. :)

I don’t think that Chloe and Kelly will win this season. It will be shortly before the finals that they will be booted off (like Ashlee and Sophia from last year). It could be a final between Cathy and Anna and Paul and Blair (none of those duos won in the past, only girl teams, married couples, sisters).