The Block – A Cliffhanger No Winner Of The Master Room Announced

Channel NINE’s  The Block has been beating SEVEN’s My Kitchen Rules on Sunday nights because it is room reveal night, the only night they take out the win. However now they are being a bit cheeky by not revealing the winner last night, which must be a ruse to get those same viewers to tune in tonight to the show and boost ratings.

It will be interesting to see if it works.

Chantelle and Steve are finding their mojo and are in the hunt for a win for the second win in a row. The other team in the hunt are Brad and Dale with their slick bedroom and master bedroom which like a seperate wing in the house. Not sure about the bath in the bedroom I am not a fan.  Kyal and Kara faulted for once with their stark bedroom being criticised for being like a hospital room. The lambs looked like something in an office and the doona just looked cheap.  Their ensuite did get better reviews.

The twins werecriticised for their styling but their much talked about void was praised.

Who do you think will win the room reveal? And which features did you like the best?

1 Erin { 03.24.14 at 11:56 am }

I didn’t like the bath in the bedroom either. I felt the whole master suite looked tooo much like a hotel room, which are great if you are only staying a few nights, but not really practical for day to day living.

I wasn’t a fan of the Super K’s, but haven’t really been a fan of their style from the begining. Too much timber, which will date very quickly. I do think to compare their room to a hospital room is a bit harsh! and it looks much nicer than any hospital room ive been in!

I liked Chantelle and Steves. Agree i don’t think they have copied the timber thing from the Super Ks.

And I liked the twins too. Just not sure about the timber in the walk in, i would have thought you want a walk in to be as light as possible for picking out clothes etc…

2 Maz { 03.24.14 at 12:01 pm }

That is a stupid cliffhanger. Its Tues, Wed, Thurs episodes that lag. Monday night is good as a) it bitch night b) you see a big more of the rooms particularly as other contestants express their outrage.

Not a fan of the bath in the bedroom either but since when did the judges go for practicality? (Last week’s comment that CS should be spending more money on overpriced cushions was a good one).

I didn’t realise until last night that we were suppose to be totalling up whether the fans team were taking out more rooms than the favs…Silly me.

The void…how on earth are you suppose to clean that? The balcony railing looked a bit low as well.

I agree that the KK look like a hospital room. I think it was the grill was a bit more prominent. Kara did let the mask slip last night.

3 Gidgitvonlarue { 03.24.14 at 12:17 pm }

I hate bath tubs anywhere but a bathroom. I know when I have a hot bath it steams up the whole bathroom – so it would do the same thing but in the bedroom with your sheets and clothes and carpet etc. No thanks.
Glad the ‘Super K’s’ copped it. I don’t mind him, but I can’t stand Kara. She’s that typical really pretty girl that has not had to do much more but just be pretty. She reminds me quite a bit of Anna on My Kitchen Rules. She’s like that too.

4 ziii { 03.24.14 at 12:25 pm }

I was so annoyed with Channel Nine for holding out on who won the room this week. I live in Perth and make sure on Sundays I stay off twitter so I don’t get spoiled.

I liked Steve and Chantelle’s room out of all of them. Not sure about the black, but it had a good WIR. The twins, not sure about the void and the mirrors and their WIR was a bit small. Hate the bath in the bedroom. The K’s room was ok, but I would want a proper bedhead and a better bedside table for my phone, ipad etc.

5 Smythe { 03.24.14 at 1:11 pm }

Stupid not telling all the scores and announcing the winner. Guess they are just trying to keep people hooked. SC’s rooms….did not like the black in the bedroom. K’s room…agree with judges too sterile/boring. Did not like the styling and choices of some of the furnishings. BD’s rooms….did not like the bathtub in the bedroom. Would have probably liked it if it had been a hot tub but a bathtub….NO. The hallway was boring…why no artwork? Twin’s rooms….liked the master bedroom and ensuite the best, not impressed with the walk in. My choices: Twins followed by SC. Based on scoring so far twins will not win so hoping it will be SC.

SC not influenced by the Ks regarding timber. Kara a bit arrogant regarding this. She and Kyal have seen the rooms and surely know that S & C have been using timber since the beginning and have continued this trend in each of their rooms. The Ks use of timber had nothing to do w/ the choices S & C made.

6 jec { 03.24.14 at 2:08 pm }

RR I had a giggle about the “lambs” looking like they belong in an office :)
I think the bath would have looked better if it had been a free-standing claw bath instead of encased in wood. I would have liked a better look at the mirror on the wall, it looked almost like a vanity mirror? Is it there instead of a dressing table or because of the bath?
I am SO over grey. I didn’t know there were so many shades of grey – except 50 shades of grey haha – but I think K&K have used them all and everyone else a close second!
It’s easy for buyers to put a bedhead in or change a bedside tables – though what is with tiny little stools as bedside tables in a master bedroom? – but very difficult to make structural changes. The judges should take that into consideration when marking the rooms. If the styling is not right, it doesn’t really matter.
Gidgetvonlarue, I see Kara as a strong, hard worker who has put in a lot of effort (remember her carrying all those bucket-loads of bricks up the stairs?). I think she is shy and this can come across as standoffish.

7 cam2 { 03.24.14 at 2:23 pm }

hate that they didn’t tell us who won. makes you feel ripped off and its just sneaky and unnecessary. i mean if the block overall is struggling for ratings, why are you pissing off the few people who ARE watching. Sunday night was your only guaranteed win, and now next sunday, im sure there will be people who choose MKR instead bc you don’t even find out the result on the sunday anyway. channel 9, you’re a jerk.

8 Lebay { 03.24.14 at 2:37 pm }

I HATE THE CLIFFHANGER, my loudmouth uncle does the ‘surprise’ drop in every Monday night, stays for hours and talks over everything Im trying to watch…. YAY for Foxel and recording 2 programmes at once. I like the bath in the bedroom, I love a long soak and often sleep in the bath, so its just making it official for me… 😀 What I didn’t like was the straight back in the bath, didn’t look comfy for the long soak… I really liked Steve and Chantal’s rooms as well. Sadly for all of them though, whats ‘on trend’ now is going to need gutting in 5 years

9 Agent 86 { 03.24.14 at 3:21 pm }

Not a fan of the “cliffhanger” as a desperate attempt by Channel 9 to increase ratings.

Also not a fan of any of the bedrooms. My favourite was probably the Super Ks bedroom with Steve and Chantelle in last place, but none of them really looked like master bedrooms. Steve and Chantelle clearly had the best WIR.

The ensuite bathrooms were a bit all over the place as well. Impractical sinks. No under-sink storage. They looked nice, but I’m not sure how they would actually function. Pretty disappointing compared to the earlier bedroom reveals.

10 sunny { 03.24.14 at 6:13 pm }

All of these rooms are dismal. Just so bits and pieces, reaching for some “design” … If I was going to fork out coin in the range of 2million for “high end” (I hate that stupid term), I would be wanting something a lot more classy and immaculately finished than anything presented there.
Real letdown people, very ordinary, to the point of tacky.
The redeeming features…
D&B staircase. Bath in bedroom are you freaking out if your tiny minds!!??
K&K, bottom of barrel here for bedroom, but chair and footrest did look stylish, just situated poorly. Bathroom okay.
Twinettes, nothing mindblowing but nice lines in bathroom.
S&C, I do not get their style. To me it is anti, it will date like yesterday and it just looks tacky and badly finished.
For master bed and bath, I think this is a bloody joke. I am over it now.

11 sunny { 03.24.14 at 6:15 pm }

Oh actually now that I think about it, S&C did a good job in their bathroom. Major improvement from that last derelict rooming house shamozzle!

12 Ann { 03.24.14 at 7:46 pm }

I think the girls make a really cute couple. Would rather watch them then the Skanks (Chloe & Kelly).

13 Maz { 03.24.14 at 11:10 pm }

Okay, final scores
CS 9,10,9
DB 9.5,9.5,9.5
AL 8.5,8,8.5
KK 8,7,7.5

Annoying episode tonight with all the budget drama. It not entertaining watching people mismanage money. If Ch9 want to be good corporate citizens then some lessons in financial literacy won’t go astray. Hit Xero up for sponsorship.

Steve annoys me. Did it completely slip his mind that they won outright last week due to the bonus point.

The ACME dumb waiter is wearing a bit thin. The payoff better be worth it.

14 PollyB { 03.25.14 at 8:10 am }

I taped the first 1/2 hour, taped Bondi Rescue, then taped the last 1/2 hour. Piss weak effort Channel 9. S&C bedroom was crap. The fake judgement was so obvious. I think Blaze’s tears were for her realising that she sold out completely long ago.
Steve has been stuck up chimneys for too long. I think he is 35 yrs old. Acts younger than some 16 yr olds I know.
But yes, I’m still watching, with lots of ffwding.

15 Gabby { 03.25.14 at 9:20 am }

I too think judges went overboard with praise for S & C’s rooms. I did love their walk in robe, definitely the best. Ensuite wasn’t bad either.
Maz you are right about Steve, he wants to grow up. I am sick of him having a go at Keith, rules are rules Steve! Keith doesn’t make them up just to annoy you.
Twins bedroom was a bit small for a master in a ‘luxury’ apartment. Other than that I didn’t mind it all.
While I didn’t like the K’s, I don’t think it deserved the criticism, hospital room etc., they were right about artwork being on other wall. I didn’t like their walkin. Also didn’t like the little stools for bedside tables, yuk. Didn’t mind the chair and my dentist doesn’t have chairs like that in their waiting room.
Now for the boys, I hate the bath, hate it. That would put me off that apartment. Or I would take it out, and what’s with the little timber bench.bench in the bedroom. The bath looked like a big coffin sitting there. As for the walkin, you couldn’t swing a cat, so small.
Their ensuite was ok but I could not understand them winning for their bedroom with bath and their walkin, I did not like either and I think the judges just wanted the guys to win no matter what. Who were they trying to convince it was a winner, us or themselves?
Sorry for the rant.

16 Maz { 03.25.14 at 9:26 am }
17 Gabby { 03.25.14 at 9:45 am }

Thanks Maz for the link, some good photos.

18 Tell It Like It Is { 03.25.14 at 12:49 pm }

Did anyone notice regarding Brad & Dale’s “bath-in-a-bedroom” area that you would not be able to reach the tap (on the wall), which controls the spout for filling the bath, from in the bath? You couldn’t top up the water without getting out of the bath! Why didn’t judges jump on that and criticise it for lack of practicality? If the judges were to be consistent they should also have criticised their bedside tables that were stools without storage, and that they copied the horizontal timber from Kyle & Kara. The judging is inconsistent and always rigged for the result the producers want. If you look at the Channel 9 site with a large number of photos for each master bedroom/ensuite, a close-up of where the timber meets paint in the boys’ bathroom shows untidy edges! An issue they bang on about one week (lack of storage in bathrooms, poor finishes, impractical points) or for one couple they do not do for others.

19 Eliza { 03.27.14 at 2:13 am }

I was going to try catch up on this reveal while I had free wi fi but sounds like it was really underwhelming! Agree that the judging has been all over the shop even more so this season! TBH, when I look back on the rooms, this season has been quite underwhelming on the whole, with no one stand out – all have something fairly major that needs fixing/is a big downfall – the twins main bathroom and downstairs bathroom wasn’t great, the boys kitchen/bath (if you really hate them), the K’s downstairs toilet/laundry/terrace/tiny living space and S&C’s… Well.. The majority of their apartment IMO!

Gabby, yep I can keep in touch with the joys of free wi-fi so you won’t have to be without my long comments totally.. Yay!

20 Gabby { 03.27.14 at 8:34 am }

Eliza, I’m glad we are able to keep hearing from you but where are you or will you be?
Also, have you not seen the bath? I am surprised you didn’t pass comment!
If you are already away I hope you are having a great time.

21 Eliza { 03.27.14 at 11:35 pm }

Hi Gabby, no I haven’t seen the bath.. Yet! I am going to watch it in a minute with free wi-fi :) you might see another comment soon then I guess!

I was in Hong Kong for a number of days and am so sleep deprived from living even crazier hours than I usually do. I’m in Japan now about to start our journey around tomorrow!

Hopefully you see this in this old post!