Carly And Tresne Should Realise That Gay’s Have Always Been Accepted On Reality TV

When Carly and Tresne from My Kitchen Rules told New Idea that they were a couple not besties and had even “married” it created a media frenzy but did their coming out actually make it a bigger deal then it actually is.

Their rationale for keeping their relationship a secret from the viewer was so they could be judged on their cooking rather than their sexuality. However they also told the magazine  “I know it might be a rough couple of months, but we are pretty resilient”.

Maybe they have encountered  homophobia, which they did not mention in the article, but as fans of reality TV they should know the genre has been at the forefront of showing diversity on our television screens. Reality TV may have its faults but they have led the way in promoting a broader cross section of our community then dramas and comedies and it has not been just as a token gesture.

Ever since Courtney Act hit our screens on Australian Idol reality TV fans have embraced contestants of all sexuality, ethnicities and size.  This can clearly be seen when Benjamin Norris was voted by the public to winBig Brother Australia in 2012. He ended up proposing to his partner at the finale. In the following season Ben Zabel an unemployed gay man from Queensland was the most popular housemate and he was evicted from the show too early in what was a shock elimination. The theory was everyone thought he would be safe because of he was so popular so did not vote to save him.

On Masterchef Australia last year Christina Batista was a lesbian mum and she was hugely popular with the general public so much so she is being used in the advertisements for this year’s series. The viewer found her former struggle with drug addiction more compelling then who she happened to be sharing a bed with.

The same goes for 2012 contestant Mindy Woods who came fifth in the cooking show and Cleo Kerameas in 2011 just to name a few.

Jake Harrison who was runner-up with his sister on last year’s My Kitchen Rules was censured more for his kooky hair style and his zippy wit rather then this sexuality.

And don’t forget it was the viewers who forced CBS in the America last year to show the homophobic and racist remarks on  their version of Big Brother.  The network was censured online and in the mainstream media about derogatory remarks heard on the 24 live feed but had been edited out of the television show. In the end the outcry was so great, including a petition started up requesting Aaryn Gries be kicked off the program, that Big Brother had to screen a montage of her worse comments. When she was eventually evicted she found out she was also sacked from her job.

That is not to say gay contestants are always shown in a positive light. Tully Smyth and out and proud lesbian who was the 2013 villain. Her villain status occurred because she was cheating on her live in girlfriend with another housemate Drew who happened to be a guy. Also Peter aka “Dr Evil” on My Kitchen Rules who was a memorable reality TV contestant and sure he created a lot of chatter but very little was about the fact about him being in a long term gay relationship.

Carly and Tresne must have known that by going on the most popular on television that at some stage their relationship would be revealed. This outing of themselves at this stage of the series has made it into a bigger thing then it actually is and intimates that being gay is something that should be hidden. Sure homophobia does still exist in our society but reality TV has shown that it is one arena where everyone is on a level playing field.

1 Sandii { 03.26.14 at 5:43 pm }

Yawn! As usual I don’t get it!

2 Uel's cannons { 03.26.14 at 5:46 pm }

CB, you and me both with the ‘benefits’ of a Christian Brothers’ education in the 70s. Starting with Convent with 3 years; with the most repressed, vicious beasts known as Sisters. Then moving on to the Brothers; straight laced and odd. Corporal punishment for the smallest offence. An (innocent?) arm around the shoulders. Brothers being ‘moved on’ when allegations arose. And a lasting Gift of Guilt, Self-loathing, Shame and Anxiety. One somehow lives one’s schoolyard days one’s whole life – unfortunately .

3 Sandii { 03.26.14 at 6:05 pm }

Uels cannons, no one needs to experience that…. I am sending my care and thoughts your way

4 PoRk ChOp { 03.26.14 at 6:34 pm }

CB – very well said…funny too, as always :)

Uel’s cannons, I feel both disgusted and saddened, by the deplorable acts perpetrated upon children, in church run schools and institutions. I know of several victims, and it’s bloody awful.

Sophie, instead of annoying people with your petty rubbish, you would be far better off, spending your time, learning some basic English and grammar, instead of the almost illegible drivel you post…and, I thought, Manu was difficult to understand!

5 daisy { 03.26.14 at 6:41 pm }

Uel’s cannons, the kids who came to our school from the nuns used to also say how much they were hit. As for the other, I had the step-father but the guilt and shame are, or were all his. Never the less you have to be on your guard so perhaps the anxiety was the gift.

My Aunty used to take us to Clontarf fetes. It was pitiful to see those little boys and that was without knowing the horrow stories.

6 daisy { 03.26.14 at 6:46 pm }

“Horrow stories”? Oh no! I will have to go back to school with Sophie.

7 Sophie { 03.26.14 at 8:25 pm }

Errr….I’m still in school, Daisy. I’ll save you a seat next to me.

8 Uel's cannons { 03.26.14 at 8:35 pm }

Thanks for people’s thoughts! I’m not a sad sack, was just reminded of school. And I’m certainly not Royal Commission material. But the Catholic Church has a lot to answer for.

9 Duane { 03.26.14 at 9:55 pm }

Ana is one of the few people commenting who actually makes sense (on the original topic, that is). Pork Chop’s accusations of attacking/bullying ARE embarrassing. Comment 43 is hysterical long-winded rubbish.

10 daisy { 03.26.14 at 10:01 pm }

Well Sophie, we can start by wagging it and kissing boys….or girls…..behind the bike shed.

11 Culinary Boner { 03.26.14 at 10:29 pm }

Apologies for dredging up bad memories for you, Uel’s cannons. My own distinct memories of my primary school days under the Nuns was a fair amount of anxiety and not being able to fathom why they seemed so into instilling fear. Like most kids in this type of environment, I became timid and restricted to avoid getting punished, though I suspect the overall military tone of schooling in the mid 60’s to early 70’s meant that kids in the public system may have copped a somewhat similar deal, minus the ultimate scare of eternal suffering in the fiery pits of hell for the most minor misbehavior. To me the most negative aspect of the Catholic Church is the denial of our natural life on this planet. I absolutely desisted the anti-life rituals of Ash Wednesday, with its reveling in the fact that, of course, we will all die but heaven is where we should be aiming for. Its worst implications being that what happens down here ultimately don’t matter. Hence why I believe the Church has been damned guilty of turning a blind eye to a number of atrocities inflicted on society.

12 Culinary Boner { 03.26.14 at 10:43 pm }

Back on topic, Carly and Tresne have been a ray of sunshine and should be happy to have reached this point of the comp given they have been shown over the last few episodes to be fairly ordinary cooks. The bitterness of walnuts with the sharpness of mint was never going to work together as a pesto.

13 Stickler { 03.27.14 at 1:26 pm }

RR, you have misquoted Carly & Tresne from the New Idea article.
Your quote: “I know it might be a rough couple of months, but we are pretty resilient”. You have followed that statement with the suggestion that maybe they have encountered homophobia.

The actual quote is: “I know it might be a bit rough for the next couple, but we are pretty resilient.” It actually relates to their hope that by doing this, they can help young kids who are struggling to come out.

14 Reality Raver { 03.27.14 at 1:49 pm }

Stickler – We are both wrong. The quote is “I know it might be a bit rough for the next couple of months, but we are pretty resilient.”
The comma is after months not couple. People are going to interpret it in different ways.
I don’t get why people think this is critical of Carly and Tresne all I am saying is that few people give a hoot about if they are gay and by not just having it in their bio then making the big announcement in New Idea they have made more a thing about being gay.
It should be seen as being as mundane as being hetero. They make great role models as a couple as do Uel and Shannelle as they don’t treat each other respectfully.
But have to agree with CB the timing of the announcement would suggest that they might be for the chop next week.

15 daisy { 03.27.14 at 2:07 pm }

Yeah, storm in a tea cup, RR.

16 Stickler { 03.27.14 at 3:14 pm }

RR – actually, we are both right. They are two different quotes from two different articles. Mine came verbatim from the New Idea article, and I have found the quote you referenced, attributed to Carly, in a News.com.au article. Apologies. I was not being critical of Carly & Tresne, or your article.

17 Shane { 03.27.14 at 4:14 pm }

Argh! Tully was NOT a lesbian. She was a pretend one.

18 Sophie { 03.28.14 at 3:22 pm }

Daisy! I can’t believe you are encouraging me to wag school! According to Pork Chop, I need MORE schooling, not less. Looking back, my grammar/English was a bit erratic in my comments but that’s what you get when you type on a bus. For what it’s worth, being gay is regarded as mundane by a lot of my generation. I found some of RR’s comments offensive because she came across as arrogant (to me at least) – saying what Carly & Tresne ‘should’ realise or ‘should’ have done. Others have talked about how the situation was ‘mismanaged’? I think what they did was fine. I think it’s worked in their favour and the shows.

19 My Kitchen Rules – Carly And Tresene Getting Online Backlash And No Surprise The Source | reality ravings { 03.31.14 at 1:02 pm }

[…] way your private life will be kept private and it is slightly naive to think it might be. Also as I wrote last week maybe if they had been upfront from the beginning this online bollocks would not be occurring as it […]