My Kitchen Rules – A Sudden Death Cook-Off With Few Highlights

Josh and Danielle need to pull back on the Heston Blumenthal style cooking as they have some talent but sometimes they extend themselves above their skill set.

Last night their Slow Cooked Egg with Pea Puree and Verjuice Gel looked good on the plate except the egg was undercooked. Mildly ironic considering Josh stood over them for a lot of the prep time. Then their main of Crispy Skin Pork Belly with Beer Soaked Chickpeas was over cooked with Liz Egan and Karen Martini leaving most of the dry meat on the plate.

Sure their dessert of Chocolate Ganache with Mint Icecream and Avocado Puree was good. But have to agree with Kelly for once when she described chocolate and avocado as “blergh”. Also what was the point of the avocado as they only put three tiny dots of it on the plate.

Josh also did not win any fans with the audience with him shifting all the tedious tasks to girlfriend Danielle and then when the pressure really got to him telling her to “shut up”.

Uel would never speak to Shanelle like this but what he does do is not realise when and how sugar should be used in dishes. Again last night they were using sugar in savoury and salt in sweet.

Their entree of Cereal Prawns which was made out of baby cereal and then added sugar no surprise it was far too sweet.As was the sauce on their Beef Short Ribs, which was a pity as the dish looked fantastic. Thankfully Uel decided not to put his salted coconut chips on the Kaffir Lime Creme Brulee otherwise he would have definitely turned this dessert into the MKR death dish, like risotto is to Masterchef Australia. Shannelle’s Creme Brulee was praised but it was not enough for them to secure the win scoring 40 points out of 60, with Josh and Danielle securing a high 45 out of 60.

It is now back to the instant restaurant rounds which are always popular with the viewers but hopefully there will be a few twists involved like time restrictions.

1 Uel's cannons { 03.26.14 at 12:59 pm }

Fixed contest.
Tosser + Joss = Josher?
Good luck on the whole ‘quit the job and pretend you’re Heston’ trip.

2 Windsong { 03.26.14 at 1:04 pm }

It surely seemed like the judges were more positive regarding Uel and Shannon’s meals … but they scored them lower.

It’s hard to argue against the idea of a fixed contest, because gosh, it really does seem like it is fixed, doesn’t it?

3 layla { 03.26.14 at 1:11 pm }

I don’t know how uncooked eggs & overcooked lamb can justify a score of 8 from the judges. They were handing those scores to Jake & Elle, & Dan & Steph last series who were miles ahead in their cooking ability than Josh & Danielle are. Thank god for Colin who is REALISTIC.

Uel & Shannelle were robbed but I’d rather them loose to a team like Josh & Danielle than the WA moles. Unfortunately it’s getting down to the nitty gritty & they’ve all gotta go at some point. I adore Uel & Shannelle but they’re not as strong as a team like Paul & Blair or the Tassie girls so we knew they weren’t going to win. Though I’d rather see them on my TV screen for a few more weeks rather than that horrible Anna. Josh appears to be a bit of a wanker but he soon apologised to Danielle straight away. I’m not one of those extreme feminists; personally it’s awful for any partner to say that to their other half regardless of gender. He knew he did wrong though.

Horse teeth Bree should have been cooking last night though, that is all.

4 Andrea { 03.26.14 at 1:17 pm }

Totally agree Layla, so sad Uel and Shanelle had to go thanks to Bree and Jessica who should have left the night before.

5 2ndhand { 03.26.14 at 1:21 pm }

Sad to see U&S go home. Don’t mind Josh & Danielle, but would rather they went. Don’t consider soft boiled eggs and avocado with dessert as ‘fine dining’. However, with the Jess & Bree being so obviously bottom cooks in the truck challenge, and then bottom cooks in the first two rounds of the cook-off, surely they should have been the ones to go?? And let’s face it, U&S are cute, we love to get our backs up against Josh, but what do Jess & Bree bring to the show. Lacklustre cooking skills, lacklustre personality .

6 Culinary Boner { 03.26.14 at 1:34 pm }

Despite the abysmally inconsistent scoring, justice was done last night. Farex prawn rusks and beef ribs in syrup again showed that Uel and Shannelle need some palate re-education. I’d suggest a stint on Hells’ Kitchen, but that would be cruel.

7 jewels { 03.26.14 at 1:39 pm }

I am also sad to see U & S go home as I liked their food way better than some of the other contestants, and they were seemed like a nice couple.
Now Bree and Jessica…should have volunteered themselves for elimination, after the disgraceful truck challenge. That would have been the worst one to date, I think. They both behaved like children, were both disorganised, had no idea and cooked badly. They really let the team down and should have manned up and offered their own elimination because of the way they behaved. If I was on the show…I would never want to be on a team with them.
Gotta hand it to the 2 WA girls, they ran their truck really well, were good team leaders and cooked good food. I am not usually their number 1 fan, but give credit where credit is due.

8 Gidgitvonlarue { 03.26.14 at 1:45 pm }

Producers found Uel and Shannelle too boring so they got booted – that was obvious. Their food was much better than Josh and Danielle’s – Stevie Wonder could have seen that. Then Colin gives a 6 – but Manu and Pete both give 8’s????
Not sure if I’ve just watched too much MKR but I was actually getting quite bored last night. Found myself channel surfing because, well, it was just dull. Thank GOD they are going back to home restaurants because that is always the best part of the whole show. Otherwise it’s really just Masterchef!

9 cam2 { 03.26.14 at 1:48 pm }

sad to see u&S go, they were lovely and paul or blair’s (not sure which is which) comment at the end about their morals and kindness was very touching. uel’s pep talk also was really sweet, about how they will be fine and to speak words of kindness to each other. best of luck to them both in the future.

really didn’t like the way josh was talking to D. especially when he was telling her to leave the science to me and you go do some simple chopping etc. with her soft hands. i don’t know, that comment along with all his other remarks and general attitude came across as quite demeaning and very ‘im the man, i know best’. he was very dismissive. i find it hard to find anything particularly ‘warming’ about the couple tbh, and though not necessarily unlikeable, i do not find them likeable either.

also, i don’t get why teams serve slop of plates. J&D’s entree was a sloppy watery mess and they serve it on a plate. i don’t get how you r meant to easily eat it with a spoon. plates are for stuff you may need to cut etc, if you need to ‘scrape’ to eat, put it in a bowl. it just looks uncomfortable to eat that way. also, RR, i agree, im sick of all this fuss and drama that is made over avocado or whatever ingredient, and in the end its three dots on a plate. i mean, why bother, if thats all you’re going to do. can hardly taste anything with three dots.

10 cam2 { 03.26.14 at 1:51 pm }

oh and i agree U&S need to work on balancing flavors, but it probably doesn’t help that the judges are on those ‘i quit sugar’ diets either.

11 daisy { 03.26.14 at 2:04 pm }

Yeah, sure this show seems rigged, but on the boring theory, I thing Josh and Danielle were the more boring team. On Josh apologising, he probably knew there would be consequences if he didn’t. Danielle probably would throw him out onto the couch and put his nuts in dry ice.

12 brain dead dave { 03.26.14 at 2:14 pm }

Yeah, Josh wouldn’t apologise at home. I guess the producers have to decide whether to go with Uel and Shannelle being really nice and respectful to each other for weeks or have Josh and Danielle like cat and dog with more potential “tension” ie verbal abuse they can cherry pick for the viewers.

Josh and Danielle are boring, too make no mistake. Just look at the tsunami of votes for them on RR’s poll….while Uel and Shannelle are blitzing it.

13 daisy { 03.26.14 at 2:22 pm }

Good point BDD. I missed that. They must be boring to get beaten in a poll by the dreaded Smirk and Grin.

14 PoRk ChOp { 03.26.14 at 2:25 pm }

Josh is a misogynistic pig. I would not be, at all, surprised, if he has a dinosaur, instead of a dog, as a pet. In fact, I cannot conceive how he pulls his knuckles up from the ground, to cook! Danielle is on course for the “Battered Wife Syndrome.”

“The Darlings” were blatantly ripped off :(

cam2 – you hit the nail on the head “i was surprised J&D got such high scores. both teams desserts were equally good, both teams stuffed up entre and then leaving it up to mains, it seemed U&S beef was better than the dry pork. but of course, its rigged! lol.”

15 Culinary Boner { 03.26.14 at 2:32 pm }

Josh will presumably ‘make up’ with Danielle in the traditional fighting couple’s manner… via a little testicular gastronomy.

16 Rosie { 03.26.14 at 2:40 pm }

Pork chop – loved your comment about Josh having to pull his knuckles off the ground to cook. Well played, sir!

Agree with pretty much everything else that’s been said. I do love this show, but the disrespect for the viewers’ intelligence (ie, re the rigging of the votes) is now just so over the top it takes one’s breath away. Unless that thing on poor darling Manu’s head is really a brain tumour that is burrowing its way outwards aand everyone else is just humouring him in his last days?

17 Smythe { 03.26.14 at 2:46 pm }

Josh and Danielle made pork and beans for their main with overcooked pork. I know they cooked chickpeas and not beans but the dish just looked like pork and beans. Looked like they opened a can of baked beans and lopped that on the plates. An egg for an entree and it was undercooked. :-(
The ice cream may have been tasty but it appeared to be melting and the avocado drops reminded me of bird poop (already posted that description in the previous MKR thread). Colin’s was the most honest score. The fix was in, though, and J & D were safe. I don’t think that Uel and Shanelle are boring. Cute couple and Uel is funny. Producers may think that J & D are more interesting because of their interactions w/ one another creating more drama or because of their supposed ability/skills (LOL) as molecular gastronomers. I would much rather watch U & S being kind and supporting to one another than Josh criticizing and demeaning Danielle.

However, when it comes down to it, Bree and Jess should have been eliminated. They took their team down in the food truck challenge and because of their behavior (especially Jess) their team wound up in the cook off.

18 Littlepetal { 03.26.14 at 3:52 pm }

Josh didn’t even cook the chick pea. Came out from a can.

Actually avocado and chocolate is really nice. Combine both and you can use them as a chocolate frosting.

Dan and Steph did make a chocolate and avocado dipping sauce.

Can’t comment on the next few episodes of MKR. I am on holiday.

19 Gidgitvonlarue { 03.26.14 at 3:54 pm }

I see Danielle (who is very attractive) kicking sooky sexist Josh to the curb eventually. As they say – she can much better.

20 Rosie { 03.26.14 at 3:55 pm }

Have a great holiday, Littlepetal!

21 Littlepetal { 03.26.14 at 3:57 pm }

Thanks, Rosie. I need to catch up on RR

22 daisy { 03.26.14 at 4:02 pm }

Yeah, Littlepetal. Have a wonderful time. :)

23 Ali { 03.26.14 at 4:38 pm }

” Again last night they were using sugar in savoury and salt in sweet.”

Maybe they have dyslexic tastebuds

CB @6
“And while Karen Martini still gives me the horn, I am seriously starting to question whether I have an unresolved ‘grumpy cat’ fetish.”

There’s a joke about pussies and licking to be made in there somewhere, especially as grumpy cat would not approve.

24 Culinary Boner { 03.26.14 at 5:19 pm }

Have to agree with ‘grumpy cat’ on this one:

25 Windsong { 03.26.14 at 6:01 pm }

LOVE that picture, Culinary Boner ^_^.

26 PoRk ChOp { 03.26.14 at 6:44 pm }

Rosie @16…glad that brought a smile to your face.

I liked your comment about “humouring ManU’s tumour.” LOL :)

27 daisy { 03.26.14 at 6:49 pm }

CB, Grumpy Cat actually does look like KM; nice eyes, turned down mouth, whiskers.

28 Uel's cannons { 03.26.14 at 8:44 pm }

Notes.
1. Carly – cute only works when you are 5 years old, and you know, cute.
2. Josh – for goodness sake, stick your sous vies where the sun don’t shine.
3. Kelly – being short and whacking on the fake tan makes you look like an Oompa Loompa. The constant gurning doesn’t help either.

29 Sandii { 03.26.14 at 8:58 pm }

Gurning, that is the perfect word for Kelly. I have been trying to think of a descriptive word for weeks. It describes her facial acrobatics perfectly.

30 techhater { 03.26.14 at 10:04 pm }

Since when does a great dish with a bad pesto lose to macaroni and cheese?

Let me rephrase that question…..

Since when does mac’n’cheese become a competition worthy dish outside of the USA?

31 daisy { 03.26.14 at 10:08 pm }

We in agreement on the ‘cute’ thing UC.
Can’t bear baby talk or cutesy on adults or big kids. Shanelle doesn’t count because hers is natural.
Kelly has been thowing in some poomvey (traditional family word for those trying to appear cut) too.

There’s a fair bit of poomvey on IYATO.

32 techhater { 03.26.14 at 10:25 pm }

DAisy Desi volunteers to put some POOmvey into that MushMouth 😈

33 daisy { 03.26.14 at 10:26 pm }

Well that is a different poomvey TH.

34 Sandii { 03.26.14 at 10:43 pm }

Tech hater, I agree again, a mediocre pesto does not lose to fried macaroni. Rigged! Surely if they hardly served any customers how can they not have been the worst of the day. At least Carly and tresne served lots lamb.

35 techhater { 03.26.14 at 10:53 pm }

Sandii Desi is curious as to what Horsehead & Mushmouth have got going with Pete & Manu that keeps tipping them over the line. I have said previously on other threads that I acknowledge that they’re decent cooks, but there have been times like tonight when they should be bottom.

36 Sandii { 03.26.14 at 11:10 pm }

It would all be about ratings and keeping in who they think will keep viewers watching. They seem to be ok cooks but should have been on the bottom today. I wonder if the producers will realize that we like watching people like the Darlngs, and even the Tassie girls. We want to see good cooking. I thought I read somewhere that they wer going back to cooking in their homes.

37 daisy { 03.27.14 at 12:03 am }

I expected the diners to choose the dads but I didn’t really like the look of their dish. I thought Tassie girls then Cathy and Anna.

Did anyone else notice that most of the women diners looked like that had lost their way to the set of The Biggest Loser week 1. My attention was drawn to it by the woman leading the stampede in the black strapless dress.
No offense to all the lovely big women out there but I just couldn’t help notice the ratio very big women and wondered where they found them.

38 Calorie Loader { 03.27.14 at 1:43 am }

Judges again were inconsistent with their feedback. So it is not okay for the twins to cook fish in a bag three times, but definitely OK for Anna and Cathy to under cook salmon several times?

Mac n Cheese (not deep fried) is a feature on the Rock Pool menu so perhaps C+K had tried it on their travels and were aiming to impress but it back fired. The contestants seem to be under the illusion that deep frying a classic is the new fine dining…

39 Eliza { 03.27.14 at 2:21 am }

@Daisy.. Thought I’d find you best here! I’m in Hong Kong at the moment (leaving for Japan tomorrow) and have been able to spread my night owl wings.. I’ve been able to shop till 11pm and eat dinner at bed time. Mind you, I am in a total daze now though and forget what my name is half the time!

Sorry to not actually comment about anything MKR here.. :/

40 Zhee { 03.27.14 at 3:32 am }

Eliza, I’m so jealous. 😛 We just moved and still are equipping the new kitchen plus buying all new furniture (I had the idea to throw everything away except for a table, chairs and a shelf). So no vacation this year for me as I’m always drawn to the more expensive items.

I am still behind with the episodes. Catching up takes some time now, I just saw the episode with the final food truck. I also have to admit that Chloe and Kelly did a good job that day. I still hope they won’t win this season and keep my fingers crossed for the dads. I like their laid-back attitude. And they can actually cook.

41 daisy { 03.27.14 at 3:35 am }

Oh Hi Eliza, glad you found time to send me a ‘post card’.

I haven’t been to Hong Kong. I suppose the food was good tonight.
Have fun and I’ll be waiting for the next installment.
Tomorrow you’ll be tall. :)

42 Culinary Boner { 03.27.14 at 8:27 am }

Manu’s steadily morphing haircut explained??? – http://www.news.com.au/world/north-korea-reportedly-orders-men-to-get-kim-jonguns-haircut/story-fndir2ev-1226865904522

Is the naughty Frenchman really just an undercover operative for a foreign despot?

43 Gabby { 03.27.14 at 8:46 am }

TH and Sandii, agree with you about Chloe and Kelly and their M&C balls. They hardly had any customers and I am sure they would have made far less money than C&T. Also the balls were dry, well Pete’s was. Once again they are rigging it.
I think the worst meal should be the least amount of money paid.

44 daisy { 03.27.14 at 8:50 am }

Oh, so Manu’s hair is to make him look taller than Pete?

45 Sandii { 03.27.14 at 9:15 am }

Gabby, it does seem so bloomin’ obvious to me that the lowest should be the loser. I think they are turning lots of views off with their bias. I would love RR to do an interview with someone about it.

46 Morgan { 03.27.14 at 9:31 am }

Chloe and Kelly could serve up shit on toast and Pete and Manu would still put another team through to Sudden Death. So over this blatant bias towards certain teams.

47 Andrea { 03.27.14 at 9:49 am }

Yes, its so obvious whats happening. Agree with you Gabby and Sandii, the lowest should be the losers.
At least on MC, we are usually told how much money is made.
I hope Chloe and Kelly, and Bree and Jessica go soon.
The Tassie girls did a good job but it didn’t look like a very big serving.

48 PoRk ChOp { 03.27.14 at 11:26 am }

daisy@37…yes, I’ve noticed the “large lady” phenomena at the foot trucks too. They definitely lost their way to TBL casting.

CB @42, “Men were also ordered to cut their hair every 15 days, after North Korea launched a campaign against long hair, saying flowing locks took nutrition away from the brain and robbed people of intelligence, according to WantChina Times.” I luff dis. We know now why Pete keeps his hair so short. or, should I say “Pit.” (great article CB, zenku).

Manu to Pete: “I’s luffing dis pis os biff, Pit.”

Agree with all, that Horsehead and Jaws are protected species, atm. Mac ‘n cheese! Pfffft!

49 Smythe { 03.27.14 at 11:45 am }

So Pork Chop #48 ,if “flowing locks took nutrition away from the brain and robbed people of intelligence”, then if Helena and Vicki cut their hair would they have one brain each rather than one brain between the 2 of them. :-)

50 PoRk ChOp { 03.27.14 at 11:58 am }

Absolutely, Smythe :)

Kim Jong Un looks like a kid raised on fast foods, so his hair looks very strange – sort of like a toupee on a bald head; imagine being ordered how to have your hair cut. I would definitely arc up, and end up in a NK prison, or worse. It is certainly a scary thought, that a spoiled, fat little boy, is in charge of such a highly militarised country :(