My Kitchen Rules – Did The Right Team Get Sent To Sudden Death?

chloe and kelly meme

It was pop up restaurant time on My Kitchen Rules and for once the judges had the luxury between picking the worst of the best dishes rather then the best of the worst.  Each team had to do a pop up restaurant and had to serve one dish each. One of the team was head chef the other maitre d, which for most teams meant just taking the dish out and placing it in front of the customer.

The strange thing that even though there was one dish on the menu some teams were taking down orders on a pad. OK I get it for Danielle, as she and Josh were cooking steak and they were doing it to order. However Carly made a rookie error asking how people wanted their lamb done. This is unusual even in proper restaurants. This left Tresne having to cook them medium as well as medium rare. She did do a good job of it.

The problem with their dish was the pesto that went with it. They made it with walnuts instead of pine and put mint in it. Therefore it had a bitter flavour.

The other team with a flawed dish was Chloe and Kelly’s which was Tuna with a salad and Mac and Cheese Ball. Pete did not like the deep fried ball but Manu loved it and thought it was naughty however did query that did was mismatched with the rest of the dish. It was like a fusion of chick food and dude food. They had a hard time getting bums on seats at first.

Paul and Blair who have barely put a foot wrong in the competition cooked a delicious looking Lamb with Masala Sauce and Smokey Eggplant. Pete really liked the complexity of flavours in the sauce. Also the lamb was cooked well and I note they did not ask their customers how they wanted it cooked. This did not matter as they were the team who received the most money and therefore get the advantage in the next challenge.

Josh again tried to Hestonise a simple steak dish. He cooked them in a sous vide first before cooking them over heat. Manu queried the need to do this. They were cooking them to order and of course there was on customer who wanted hers well done. After the Josh and Danielle meeting her culinary requirement she only put $5.00 in their honesty box.

The other team that had a difficult customer was Vikki and Helena who made Snapper with Celeriac Puree and Capsicum Sauce. The lady thought she was going to get restaurant quality and also sent it back because it was cold. The judges thought all three elements of the dish were done well.

Cathy continued with her undercooking of protein. This time it was salmon. Anna was getting snippy and said she was insulted that people were sending back medium rare fish. However some of them looked more like sashimi. The judges received a perfectly cooked piece of fish and their accompanying Freekah Salad looked delicious. Good enough to even check out the recipe.

Tahlia and Bianca showed you only have to please the judges in these challenges. They  had customers leaving as they were not ready when the crowd came in as they were still making the pasta for their Tortellini with Prawns. However the judges said it was dish of the day.

In the end the judges had to decide between Chloe and Kelly and Carly and Tresne to send to sudden death and they decided the pesto was the greater sin with the NSW girls having to cook for their life.

Photo source: Facebook

1 all happening { 03.27.14 at 6:04 pm }

I read something about ads for food truck patrons when they were in Brissy so may be same with last nights event.

2 Georgietake2 { 03.27.14 at 6:04 pm }

Thank you Daisy, I don’t normally bite, but sweeping generalisation make me mad. A rude customer is a rude customer, the behaviour is the problem, not the appearance. Some say Kelly is pretty, but her behaviour is ugly. Which is preferred?

3 daisy { 03.27.14 at 6:10 pm }

You are right Georgie2. A kind, and good person always looks nice and when a person is mean it shows on their face too.
The most beautiful sight in the world to me was my short, chubby, cuddly, wrinkly, grandma. And she smelled of moth balls and 4711. Later, Avon. Peeew.

4 Georgietake2 { 03.27.14 at 6:22 pm }

Thank you Daisy!

5 daisy { 03.27.14 at 6:34 pm }

But to be fair to em, and to be honest I do think I was the first to note they were nearly all big women. I just wondered why.

6 Georgietake2 { 03.27.14 at 6:45 pm }

Understood, noticing the obvious is one thing. Making a judgement that behaviour is based on appearance is another. Who knows why that particular group was selected.

7 Ali { 03.27.14 at 6:57 pm }

Re Paul, when you win a challenge involving rack of lamb, it’s not a “lamb off”, it’s a “rack off”.

I’m guessing “Kel-vinator” got her inspiration for deep fried mac ‘n’ cheese from Cholesterol City: the Iowa State Fair, home of such culinary delights as deep fried oreos, deep fried sticks of butter or a deep fried potato, chicken and pickle tower. The other thing they are big on is impaling stuff, like cheesecake on a stick

That’s the cooking out of the way, now on to more important matters:

Pete must be “gell us” of all the attention Manu’s hair is garnering as Pete was sporting a rather fetching Tin Tin quiff last night. However, Tin Tin has ditched Snowy the Dog and acquired a French Poodle side kick.

Manu says “Oissie’s love their biff”. Who are these “Oissies” whereof he speaks?

Is that where our national chant Oissie, Oissie, Oissie, Oi, Oi, Oi comes from?

8 all happening { 03.27.14 at 6:59 pm }

First come, first to get tickets I suspect. Perhaps they wanted their 15secs. of fame. Like the cranky one that kept having a go at the twins and the one who Josh at Danielle had a problem with.

9 Littlepetal { 03.27.14 at 8:58 pm }

Do you think those difficult customers were actors? That is my suspicion.
Daisy, COMFY duck was lovely. Not over cooked. 9 out of 10.

For dessert, there was Creme Brulee. I told them there must be cracked the caramelised sugar. They all did.

The 2 dinners that I organised for the group were 10 out out 10!!

Tomorrow is a bus trip to Wanaka. No fancy restaurants in Wanaka but I hope the food is good. Or else my reputation is on the line!!

10 all happening { 03.27.14 at 9:10 pm }

I am not sure if the difficult customers were actors so much as wanna bes.

Enjoy your holiday LP.

11 Uel's cannons { 03.27.14 at 9:19 pm }

Q. What’s the difference between Jabba the Hutt and Jamie Oliver?

A. 10 kilograms, tops.

12 Uel's cannons { 03.27.14 at 9:50 pm }

no no no, can’t say that

13 daisy { 03.27.14 at 10:01 pm }

Glad you are having such a good time and your dinner was good Littlepetal.

14 Uel's cannons { 03.27.14 at 10:55 pm }

Things that Shit me to Tears: #156

The chronic misuse and abuse – even by edumacated persons who should know better – of the word ‘confirm’.

Its easy – if you are telling me about a meeting or other appointment – and its the first time you have told me, you have ‘advised’ me. You haven’t confirmed anything, as there is nothing to confirm until you tell me first.

15 daisy { 03.27.14 at 11:38 pm }

Eliza, How is Japan? And was dinner oishi?

16 Eliza { 03.27.14 at 11:50 pm }

Hi LP.. Are you on holidays in NZ? I’m guessing that must be the Wanaka that you’re going to! If so, I love it over there! If you can, go to sandfly bay in Dunedin.. Steep slope down but free to hang with the yellow eyed penguins and sea lions!! Hope you have a great time.

Daisy, no, I still feel pretty short haha.

Zhee, if you pop on this thread, a new place and new furniture is super cool/exciting!! I’d love to have my own place. Good luck with the furniture shopping!

On everyone’s comments, I think there is a limit to how ‘big’ you can be and still be healthy. I’m solid-ish naturally but still small to most people i guess but am unhealthy as ‘skinny’. I think most people get to a point though where exercise plus healthy eating are required to stay thin. Heck, I’m young and have never been able to be naturally thin so I try to not judge people too much, it’s about how much fat you have!

I have never been a fan of either Manu or Pete.. They are a big reason why I don’t watch MKR, plus all the meanness they advertise!

17 Eliza { 03.27.14 at 11:53 pm }

Hi Daisy! Funny you commented as I was just doing so too. I haven’t seen much, just got in today and spent the whole day travelling. Dinner was fairly oishi. There are so many places to eat here compared to Hong Kong. I swear the people over there eat bags, shoes and cosmetics!

I’m sure I’ll be able to update more in the coming days with more interesting news :)

18 daisy { 03.28.14 at 12:42 am }

Hi again, Eliza, I noticed I gave you your shout out at just the time you came on. Snap!

Are you in a ryokan and sleeping on the floor. Have a good sleep and enjoy your sightseeing tomorrow. Where are you going?

19 Smythe { 03.28.14 at 2:08 am }

Pesto vs mac and cheese balls. Pesto was just a small part of CT’s dish whereas mac and cheese balls a main component of CK’s dish. CK should have gone to sudden death but predictably didn’t happen. However, it is sort of a good thing that CK didn’t go to sudden death because then they would have more airtime and would have to look at them more. :-) Cheshire’s facial expressions not pleasant.

20 daisy { 03.28.14 at 2:38 am }

Smythe you are another late night owl. You’re not a Westie like me, alone when all the others have been asleep for ages?

21 Whimsical Dreamer { 03.28.14 at 8:28 am }

Small observation, but has anyone else noticed that all the teams who get eliminated (after the instant restaurant rounds) were those who got sent to SD via Food Truck & headquarters challenge?

22 Sandii { 03.28.14 at 8:45 am }

Whim dreamer, I hadn’t noticed but are you saying that the eliminated contestants were the ones Pete and Manu put there as the worst dish.

23 Whimsical Dreamer { 03.28.14 at 8:50 am }

Lol! Sandii, I meant that out of the two teams who were competing in that week’s SD, the one who got eliminated was the one who got sent there with the Food Truck & headquarters challenge rather than the one who was sent there via worst dish in People’s Choice. A bit long winded but I hope this makes a bit of sense?
(I was able to predict H&C and U&S’s elimination with this logic :P)

24 Sandii { 03.28.14 at 8:52 am }

Oh you might be on to something!

25 Zhee { 03.28.14 at 8:59 am }

Eliza, it’s not our own place. Maybe the next one, if we stay in France. In the end, buying is cheaper here than renting. :)

Pete has kids. Seriously? I thought he’s gay. 😉 And this girlfriend he has, wow, what a trashy appearance. I know it is so mean to say, but she looks so cheap. Especially those ugly, fake tits. Really why do guys like something like that?

Daisy, 4711 Kölnisch Wasser – my (great) grand parents used it in the past es well. I hated the smell as a child because it was so strong. But I loved the old bottles they had in their bathroom and I remember my grandpa putting some of it over his comb before he left the house. He used it to get some order into his locks. :)

26 Sandii { 03.28.14 at 9:29 am }

Zhee and daisy, I travelled lots when I was young with my parents and they always gave away little samples on the qantas flights. I loved the smell then. I haven’t had a whiff in years, it would be interesting to know if it brings back memories.

27 daisy { 03.28.14 at 12:38 pm }

Girls she also used Lily of the Valley.

28 Sandii { 03.28.14 at 1:27 pm }

I also remember Avon had a violet scented talcum powder my mum loved.

29 Littlepetal { 03.28.14 at 4:08 pm }

Eliza, Have a great time in Japan. We only have a few days in NZ. Doing a fun run tomorrow at Wanaka. Sun we are off to Milford Sound and back to Syd on Tue.

30 Georgie { 03.28.14 at 4:34 pm }

Enjoy yourself Littlepetal. Soak up the beautiful landscape and find some of the fabulous food I’ve seen, showcased on various Kiwi travel/cooking programs. 😎

31 daisy { 03.28.14 at 5:01 pm }

Don’t forget to warm up first Littlepetal. And before you leave the starting line you say, “Eat my dust, suckers”.

Someone gave the granny Avon apple perfume on a chain to wear around her neck, and being a mad old thing she did. It was PUNGENT. I can still see it nestled amongst the cuddly folds of brown (part Sri Lankan) wrinkles, fat and bosoms.

32 Georgietake2 { 03.28.14 at 7:07 pm }

I like your granny

33 daisy { 03.28.14 at 7:24 pm }

She was the best Georgie2. Such a dag, so happy, silly, kind and generous to everyone. And the reason I will always leave my bags and sags for the grandkids to tug on instead of going to the surgeon. Well that and my policy not to look the same age as my daughter.

My mum has had the nip and tuck and loves it when people think we are the same age. Bloody hell!!!

34 Littlepetal { 03.28.14 at 8:17 pm }

Thanks,Georgie. I have a lovely chocolate tart:
Rich chocolate and Tia Maria tarte served with plum and crème fraiche ice cream and berry coulis.

The plum and cream fraiche ice cream was delicious.

My partner has slowed braised shoulder of lamb and its fall off the bone.

I have a Tarakihi fish (never eaten before, a NZ fish) cooked to perfection!!

35 Reality Raver { 03.28.14 at 8:50 pm }

Little Petal – what would be the Australian equivalent of that fish?

36 daisy { 03.28.14 at 10:11 pm }

Littlepetal, are you sure you are going to be able to run with all that delicious food rattling around your tummies?

37 Georgie { 03.28.14 at 10:18 pm }

Sounds super yummo Littlepetal. I’d love some of that chocolate tart and would be prepared to go to NZ to get it.

38 Sandii { 03.30.14 at 10:42 am }

RR I have been thinking about your comment at 42 for a couple of days and I think I disagree with you ( with the utmost respect sorry). I think if they are happy to accept the winner being the highest paid for a dish then they should equally accept that the lowest should be the worst. The same can be said about the highest paid, in that you might get some snoozer that drops a $50 in when a meal might be worth a tenner. I think it should be ” live by the sword, die by the sword”

39 daisy { 03.30.14 at 11:36 am }

Littlepetal, are you running today on that full tummy?