The Block – It Is Surprising More Relationships Don’t Crack Up

chantelle and steve

It is was not a surprise when Chantelle said to camera that her an Steve’s relationship was under strain on The Block. In fact it is surprising that more don’t crack up under the pressure of hard physical labor, lack of sleep and privacy and having the stress of delivering a room each week within a budget.

This pair have had it harder then the other three teams as they had no renovation experience and to be frank Steve is a bit of a liability. They are not the first couple to split after their time on The Block. Maddie and Jarrod’s marriage after their time on the show and at the auction they could barely look or touch each other.

Steve and Chantelle are allegedly still a couple.

However considering the number of seasons there has only been one marriage casualty at this stage. In fact some couples have come back to do round two including Phil and Amity, Josh and Jenna and Dan and Dani.

Lysandra and Alisa probably have it best as twins they can scream at each other viciously and then twenty seconds later have forgotten about it.

The challenge last night was to create the worst room ever. If was fan versus favourites and for once Kara and Kyal were happy to be paired with Chantelle and Steve. With Kyal even saying that Steve and Chantelle wre really going to shine in this area.

They did and the fans won some much needed cash sharing a $2500.

1 all happening { 03.27.14 at 12:10 pm }

Can I please query your comment, RR, in the first paragraph, you talked of pressure of hard physical labour? Steve has not been seen performing any sort of labour imo. Perhaps Chantelle has woken up to what a lazy, belligerent so in so he is.

2 Reality Raver { 03.27.14 at 12:14 pm }

All happening – LOL true I am sure I saw him move some pavers this week. He is not the smartest tool in the shed. Though I am not sure Chantelle is either though she has spark.

3 all happening { 03.27.14 at 12:43 pm }

Sorry RR, haven’t seen this weeks eps yet. I am in for a treat.

I cannot believe the ‘hate’ going on to Shaynna and K&K on fb. Really nasty stuff at times.

4 Mia { 03.27.14 at 1:45 pm }

RR- Steve may not be “the smartest tool in the shed”, but he’s certainly the biggest.

5 Georgie { 03.27.14 at 1:49 pm }

Rofl Mia, very good. 😆

6 Maz { 03.27.14 at 2:17 pm }

LOL. Loved the ‘allegedly’ still a couple.

For complete novices I don’t think Dux House was an appropriate building given the lack of spatial structure that for arguments’ sake a terrace house would give and the resulting rooms really have suffered for it.

It has been compounded by Steve’s lack of (insert any word you want here really). Steve’s narrative certainly has not being flattering (and to some extent emasculating). Absolutely irritating to watch and an epic fail on the part of the casting. If you wanted to cast someone with no clue and lazy then you could have casted me!

It wasn’t really surprising the M & J broke up as there was a degree of immaturity there.

7 Smythe { 03.28.14 at 2:01 am }

The rooms: Did I see a flat panel TV in the fans’ room whereas the faves had an old CRT? If that’s the case then the fans should have been penalized for that and the challenge would have been a tie. I actually thought that the faves’ room was more clever…with the tiny chair and the family portrait. Neal may have liked the lighting but it was oversized and did not fit the room. Should have had nothing to do with what would fit into the reno.

Chantelle and Steve: Chantelle seems to be into the process but Steve just seems to have gone along for the ride. Maybe Chantelle pressured him into doing the show? Didn’t like how they were chosen from the beginning and always thought that one of the other couples (don’t remember their names) would have been a better choice.

8 PollyB { 03.28.14 at 10:16 am }

Speaking of couples, K&K have been amazing IMO. They just get on with it, even when they are tired or pissed off.
Steve, on the other hand, appears so, so immature, spoilt, narrow minded, self centred, a doofus? Don’t take your pick, he is all that.

9 techhater { 03.29.14 at 2:35 pm }

Just saw No Idea article about Kara supposedly being pregnant. It’s the first her Mum has heard of it, and as she has a great relationship with Kara, she would’ve known before some BS mag. NI get your facts straight before you print them.

10 sunny { 03.30.14 at 5:52 pm }

No Idea probably picked that hairbrained rumour up from here or the Whirlpool forum topic about The Block. I remember reading someone thought maybe she was because at a barbie or lunch at the pub she didn’t have an alcoholic drink.
Great story sourcing NI, real top level professionalism there.
Does anyone know when the auction is going to be?
Good luck to all of them, but come on Super Ks!

11 Eliza { 03.31.14 at 1:40 am }

Chantelle is probably desperate for a career in the media.. I saw her profile online when the series begun about all her ‘acheivements’. It stunk of someone going on RTV to further a media career. Agree that they were a terrible casting choice as they have been painfull..

12 daisy { 03.31.14 at 1:57 am }

Now Eliza, if I remember correctly Japan is on the same time as WA. How’s it going? Wonderful, no doubt.

13 Eliza { 04.01.14 at 1:27 am }

Hi Daisy! Japan is currently 2 hrs behind Sydney time so almost the same as WA! Japan is going well.. I love the people here (esp coming from HK) and they are so friendly. I love trying to talk to people in shops in my very limited Japanese.

Lots and lots of travelling around as we headed from Tokyo when we first got in to Hiroshima. The A-bomb site was nicely done though and we went to an island which was pretty but the rain made it a bit difficult.

I’m in Kyoto now and I like it. Our room is teeny tiny but right in the centre of town. Found this little street filled with restaurants and finally had a truly oishi meal. Probably walked many kilometers today seeing temples, shrines and cherry blossoms.

There is so much to buy here it ‘s so bad.. I always pack too much in my bag to begin with so I had better do some really good creative packing when I head home! My bag is super omoi.. You should see me on the Shinkansen #princess

14 daisy { 04.01.14 at 1:52 am }

I love, love, love Kyoto. Near where we stayed there were two parallel coonecting shopping mall with a giant model of a crab hanging up. Are you near there. There is also a pretty river nearby on the way to the geisha district. That’also the area where we saw these very narrow alleys with very private, invite only, I think, restaurants. We used to buy lots of things from Japan and bring back to sell in our shop. Some great things: The handmade papers, the printed tea caddies, the beautiful hankies, and all the beautifuly made knick-knacks. I also got some gorgeous clothes and boots there. Check out the vintage shops near those malls. The Japanese throw out better things than we get first hand. I got a beautiful navy blue silk smock from a boutique called Ship. It will never date. If you buy too much, just post some home.
Oh we bought lots of prints too.

15 Eliza { 04.02.14 at 2:16 am }

Yes, the giant crab!! We are just on the main rd to the right when you are facing the crab! The shopping area is cool.. I am a sucker for souvenirs. I loved the vintage shops and already found a cool 90s maxi dress and oversized jumper!! Got both for $30ish. I really want to have my own store and would have a ball buying stuff here to sell as the ceramics are nice especially.

We actually ate in that little alley way street last night and tonight. Last night’s meal was really good and tonight’s was nice too.. Noodles/omelettes on the hot plate. There’s lots to choose from everywhere! We went through Gion yesterday.. It was really nice all through there.

Thanks for your well wishes haha we got a bit lost tonight but finally made our way back.. Off to hopefully find the monkey park tomorrow 😮

16 daisy { 04.02.14 at 4:34 am }

Eliza, if you are facing the crab, and then go left into the street, past a vintage clothing shop on your right, you will come to a nice cafe/restaurant on a corner if you feel the need for Japanese version of burgers etc. Also from the crab if you gor right somewhere there is an even coler vintage shop. I got some great boots and a couple of 40s, then later 70s embroidered, gypsy style tops. Also in the malls did you find the shop selling all the pens and rubber stamps.
We bought ceramics to sell, but the best sellers were probably the tabi, Japanese socks.
Oh and check out their KitKats, especially if you can find the strawberry and banana, and the green tea ones. Their KitKats are amazing.

How crazy are the pitchinko parlours.

Have fun at the monkey park.