The Block – Chantelle and Steve Could Win Fan Versus Favourites

kyal and kara

The weird and wonderful thing about The Block is that on auction day anyone can win. Even though Kyal and Kara would look like the deserved winners things may not go well or them on the day as it depends on reserve price and what buyers are willing to pay for that dwelling.

Polly and Waz had Stephen Bradbury style win, as they were the only one to sell on the day. In that 2011 season they had been thought to be one of the weaker teams behind Josh and Jenna and Rod and Tania. However they were the ones that walked away with the $100,000 bonus.

Jarrod and Madi who were one of the weakest teams on last year’s season on sky high came in runners-up. This team that struggled all season received only $4000 less then the twins in profit. It should be noted they had $30,000 taken off their reserve on auction day with Lysandra and Alisa only had $10,000 deducted.

This week’s challenge on The Block has seen a House Rules like challenge where the teams have to renovate a house in 7 days. The motivation for the teams is that the points accumulated get turned into dollars which get taken off their reserve price. Also the overall winners will receive an extra $10,000 off the reserve. Since the teams are working in pairs they have to split the dollars between them.

Kyal and Kara who won the final room reveal chose Brad and Dale to work with. It was a smart move by Kara as it meant she would have most of the say in the design. Whereas there is tension between the Lysandra, Alisa and Chantelle. Not a shock at all. And Steve is just staying out of it.

Interestingly Chantelle’s children room was highly praised whereas Alisa’s bedroom was not. At this point they are one and half points behind the Super K’s and Brad and Dale whose decision to sacrifice a bedroom for a bathroom and walk in wardrobe paid off for them. Currently the twins and Chantelle and Steve have $12,000 off their reserve price ie. $6000 each and the other team has $750 more.

If you are curious to know some of the final scores there is a funny article on TV Tonight where an eagle eyed fan took a photo of the scoreboard being transported in the back of a ute. It is a SPOILER. Here is the link.

Also don’t expect the twins to be on the show. Not just because they look over it, they said they don’t want to ruin their relationship. They also told the Daily Mail that they think the whole show was geared for Kyal and Kara to win.

Who do you want to win?

The Block Fans V Faves Grand Final will be aired Wednesday April 9 at 7.30pm on NINE.

1 Maz { 04.03.14 at 2:48 pm }

Thanks for the link. Can’t wait for the finish product then. :)

I wouldn’t say it was geared for one particular couple to win (as all the apartments need to be desirable for the halo effect). It more like the way the rewards are structured. If you win early then you can dominate the subsequent room reveals as you had a greater budget.

The contestants should be given more money upfront and a room win reduce from 10K to 5k so it is not so distorting.

The twins dominated Sky High (the other couples became demoralised) whereas this time around with Brad and Dale + The Super Ks it was more evenly spread.

CS really suffered from the lack of experience. I think another couple with building experience should have been casted. CS would have been better off with a more structured block (eg the terrace houses) where the couples were eased into it.

If CS win I think the buyer would have a healthy redo budget.

With the House Rules-eque week, the twins’ stuff thus far is a bit repetitive and not adapted for the situation.

2 Isabelle { 04.03.14 at 3:16 pm }

I would really love for Kyal and Kara to win, Kyal is always so humble and always doing the best that they can- I think it may be between the boys and Super K :-) thanks for your opinion Maz! :-)

3 Kess { 04.03.14 at 3:24 pm }

I used to hate the Block – those twins have won me over.

I love them for calling bullshit on RTV shenanigans, a lot.
They keep things more honest – so I can watch and see through the 9 veneer myself, but I love that we have contestants in the thick of it calling the same – your full of shit 9.

4 PollyB { 04.03.14 at 3:44 pm }

Thanks for the link.

I’m so over the twins cracking it when the ‘rules’ don’t suit them. Everyone knows ‘reality tv’ is BS. They went back fully aware what crapola The Block is. All free publicity for their business.

Inter-team relations look interesting tonight!

5 ziii { 04.03.14 at 5:01 pm }

Can’t stand the fact twins. Just because they’re not winning they think its all rigged.

They seem to forget that they won the last series.

6 PoRk ChOp { 04.03.14 at 5:01 pm }

Agree with you PollyB re twins.

Super Ks, all the way.

7 brain dead dave { 04.03.14 at 5:32 pm }

Biting the hand that feeds you. Goodbye twins.

8 Violet { 04.03.14 at 5:50 pm }

I saw A&L on Mornings this morning and they said that they had asked the producers on three seperate occasions if they had to be bedrooms and were they allowed to change it and each time they were told no, it had to be three bedrooms. If I was in their shoes I know I would have cracked it too. There should be the same rules for both teams, but I guess that wouldn’t make good ‘reality’ tv.

I had a good laugh at Shaynna the other night when she clearly hated the plywood on S&C terrace, yet she gave K&K the win in the lighthouse challenge with their plywood feature wall. Poor Chantall must have thought she was onto a real winner there, or maybe was just so over it she didn’t care anymore. At any rate there has been some real bizzare judging this year, so I hope they get some new judges that are not so focused on cushions and bloody plastic plants.

I think the Twins and B&D (minus the clear ensuite door & bath in bedroom) have done a great job. K&K have put a lot of work in, but their lounge/dining is so small and too much wood for my personal taste. I don’t really like S&C’s at all, but hopefully they all sell on auction day with the twins taking out the win again :)

9 cam2 { 04.03.14 at 7:58 pm }

i find it a little odd that this week its not fans vs favorites, when every other challenge it has been – and the series is called ‘fans vs favorites’.
sigh. whatever.

agreed S&C plywood looks tacky and cheap. not sure who will win at auction. i think this weeks winners (probably kk and B&D) will decide who wins at auction with the money off the reserve price. hoping the twins pull off a win though.
if thats true Violet, about the twins asking to change the room and not being allowed, then completely understand why they’re so pissed off. it really would be unfair, and then to be edited on tv so it just looks like they are sore losers makes it worse. 100% believe them when they say the series was tailored towards kyal and kara – the block needs a new ‘favorite’ couple for future seasons as all the old faves are used up now and unlikely to return.

10 Nikki { 04.03.14 at 9:06 pm }

I’ve stopped watching. I was finding myself getting more and more frustrated watching the show and ending up really tense and grouchy afterwards. It just felt like there was a really obvious editorial slant to the whole show, especially with the nasty voice overs and remarks about certain teams and people. It’s pretty clear who the real “favourites” actually are. I might tune in to see the auction results, but otherwise I think I’m done with The Block.

11 Lebay { 04.04.14 at 12:38 am }

I’m over the twins and their dummy spitting when things don’t go their way. Did they think it would be handed to them? Not a fan of the super Ks either, but that’s just because I got tired of them winning. Team Brad and Dale all the way

12 PollyB { 04.04.14 at 12:40 am }

Tonight was so boring in that they constantly showed house 1 where all the drama & bickering is happening. House 2 appears to be congenial & highly productive. Positivity not deemed good tv it seems.
And wow, those girls let there true colours be shown. Bitter & twisted about covers it for me.

13 Smythe { 04.04.14 at 3:20 am }

If the twins were really told that they had to do 3 bedrooms and this could not be changed then I fully understand why they would be upset.

Did the judges see what the rooms looked like before the re-dos? They should have. In addition, they need to not only judge based on what they liked but also if the teams met the owners’ briefs. The owners should have input when it comes to judging.

House 2′s master bedroom very crowded looking and claustrophobic. Styling not very good especially with that chair that did not fit. Not deserving a 9, IMO.

When it comes to winning I base my choice on which apartment I liked the best and it would have to be the twins’ with the Ks second. I really liked the open design of the twins’ apt. with that large kitchen and the separate living and dining areas. Also like the void. Too much timber for me in the K’s apt. Didn’t like BD’s kitchen and dining room and hated the bath in the master bedroom. Did not like most of SC’s apt.

14 Maz { 04.04.14 at 9:10 am }

Oh dear, last night’s performance was not a good omen for a certain couple’s interior design aspirations.
1) Completely ignore client’s taste in furniture
(FFS, short space of time and the owner liked the dining table-go for what the owner liked not guilt trip them it free so put up with what we choose)
2) Insist on a feature which the client has confessed on camera that they will rip out
3)Practicality and functionality ignored.

Then telling Chantelle to F off.

I agree Smythe, the owners should be judging not judged.

As for the three bedrooms (as JJ & DD demonstrated in the electricity challenge) its all the semantics. If the producers said you had to do the three bedrooms designated as such it does not automatically follow that the rooms need to be bedrooms.

I think Chantelle and Steve do have a point of why concessions are allowed for twins but they can’t see members of their own family. Its not just the Block but the bigger issue that single people’s familial relationships are deemed of less value. I know a lot of people will disagree saying it re small children etc but seriously you know what you are in for when you apply…

15 brain dead dave { 04.04.14 at 9:29 am }

Last night showed what horrible ,selfish people the twins are. The twins trashed their young families last year , so I’m not buying their grandstanding about family time on last night’s episode for a minute.

If those chairs were deemed “common” , it’s nothing on the garden variety sore losers the toxic twins are.

Thankfully, those shrews have left the police force and the community will be better for it.

16 cam2 { 04.04.14 at 9:43 am }

weren’t the ‘common’ chairs the same as the ones brad and dale used in their kitchen? and the glass table was what they changed to when they redid the kitchen too.

17 Smythe { 04.04.14 at 10:06 am }

I have to agree with Chantelle that things are not fair or equitable on The Block. She should be able to meet up with her family members just like the twins have done. I don’t remember her or Steve’s family members ever showing up at the apartments but Brad’s wife was there and Ks’ family members, too. Why can’t she or Steve or anybody else on The Block meet up w/ a family member? Is it possible she did not request a visit?

The twins do need to listen to their clients. If a designer thinks they have better ideas of how to do things then there are ways to suggest this w/o being rude. The common chair comment was very demeaning.

All 3 of the girls were acting like cats, “hissing and spitting” at each other. However if Chantelle is not feeling well she shouldn’t be running around shopping and she should be resting her voice. Alisa’s “F” off comment was unnecessary. They all need to grow up, get their acts together and behave like professionals. Let Steve take control of the tradies. LOL ;-)

18 brain dead dave { 04.04.14 at 10:25 am }

It’s shaping as a fairy tale ending to The Block~ Cinderella v the two ugly sisters.

19 Smythe { 04.04.14 at 10:31 am }

Brain Dead #18…wrong character for Chantelle because if she is Cinderella then that would make Steve Prince Charming and I don’t think that works. :-)

20 cam2 { 04.04.14 at 10:34 am }

@smyth, re S&C family visits, steve’s had his brother around working for them a couple times and then steve and chantelle had that big family reunion/lunch in the bonus room one week.

21 Smythe { 04.04.14 at 10:35 am }

Cam2…you are right. Forgot about those visits. Thanks for the reminder.

22 Maz { 04.04.14 at 12:59 pm }

Yeah but they didn’t get to return home to see their relatives like the twins. It was all carefully stage managed for the cameras.

23 Kess { 04.05.14 at 1:23 pm }

OMG look at that, all of you sucked in by 9 and hating on the twins.
I love them, for their brutal honesty – regardless of the consequences, they are the only RTV contestants who refuse to lie for the camera.
Or act, don’t complain what you are getting with the Twins is REALITY, everyone else is full of crap.
Watch those judges hate a room, take a breathe and sell that apartment – the whole purpose of the judges is to sell.

24 brain dead dave { 04.05.14 at 2:01 pm }

Maybe you’re the one getting sucked in ,Kess. The reality I’m seeing is that they’re a pair of surly little bitches who can’t handle losing and blame the show.

As if you’re the only lucid viewer here. Pffft. I don’t think so.

25 PollyB { 04.05.14 at 6:45 pm }

I’m seeing a similar reality to you bdd.

26 Smythe { 04.05.14 at 7:13 pm }

Of course most of it is not reality unless reality is scripted and edited. :-)

27 Zhee { 04.05.14 at 8:50 pm }

Well, it’s kind of easy to portray the twins in the worst light possible. Remember when Brad and Dale lost, Brad was really bitchy as well about it and the editing showed a not so nice and relaxed side of him. The producers could have easily made it look and sound worse – they didn’t. Maybe because D&B are so popular, while the twins were already known for butting their heads with each other and for being direct and outspoken. Plus they enrage easily and are stubborn. Producers might find tons outbursts. Good RTV in the end and they make it easy to be portrayed as the villains who are soooo mean to poor little Chantelle. Even Kara, who has been portrayed as the nice girl next door didn’t have to say good things about Chantelle in the beginning and the producers made it look like Kara’s a bitch.

I don’t like the twins, but I don’t mind them. In the end it only counts how their work looks like and their apartment looks fantastic. Whereas S&Cs apartment looks like an accident.
I switched off the episode with the twins vs Chantelle because it was trash, but from what I saw Chantelle wasn’t the victim but having 2 vs 1 makes it look bad for those “ganging up” on the other person.

Regarding the twins seeing their families: Last year, the family of Trixie had been invited because she was crying to the cameras every 5 minutes how much she misses her family. This year, Brad had a visit or two from Lara. This year, S&C slept in their own apartment without consequences (first few weeks). And they also said in the beginning, that the twins’ families stay in a hotel near them so they can see their children. Don’t think that’s a bad thing the producers arranged a meeting. But for sure they timed it well… thus making the twins look bad again. :)

Damn, stupid essays and stupid brain which stores too much unnecessary information but I still cannot remember who’s the secretary of state of Germany. :D

28 Maz { 04.06.14 at 12:41 am }

No one is denying that the twins do have a flair for interior design and their apartment is a testament to that. However, for people who have aspirations for a career as interior designers the manner in which they have behaved would give you pause as to whether you would actually employ them.

Regardless of what you think of Chantelle, there was no excuse to tell her to f… off and imply that her familial relations were less important than theirs.

Regarding reality contestants with children- I am absolutely tired of contestants sobbing to the camera and then wiping away the tears in a melodramatic manner stating that they are doing insane renovation/serving inedible food/warbling off-key etc so their spawn may be ‘proud’ of them while demanding concessions (contact with the outside world) denied to other contestants.

My understanding is that C&S went to their apartment for a couple of hours and were busted for it. They didn’t stay there. As opposed to the twins who got to go home to see their families.

29 Eliza { 04.06.14 at 1:17 am }

Oh no I missing so much bitchy drama while I’m away! I couldn’t record all episodes otherwise our Foxtel IQ would have combusted and ch9 won’t let me watch the episodes from overseas! Lame!

I have to agree with the majority about the twins. They really do come across as rude and bitter a lot but I do agree with you too, Zhee (hehe you know I know what it’s like to have long thoughts on somewhat trivial things, but it’s all good) that it is very easy for the producers to villanise who they choose and we are used to the twins being the hot headed ones that don’t hold back. I remember Brad’s little hissy fit too! I was like :O I Wish that the twins were appearing at my shopping centre next weekend rather than today so I could have seen what they were like in person!

I’m really curious to see these houses they have done and their finished upstairs terraces!

30 Maz { 04.06.14 at 9:33 pm }

Maybe the twins are right that there are future plans for Brad and Dale http://www.popsugar.com.au/celebrity/Reality-TV-Interview-Brad-Dale-Block-2014-Fans-Faves-34504959#photo-34505030

Wonder if the next crop of contestants will have stricter non disclosure clauses in their contracts in view of the criticism emanating from this season.

31 Zhee { 04.07.14 at 6:10 am }

I would laugh out loud if the twins place last after their public comments. Not because they are idiots but this would certainly imply that even the auctions are rigged.