My Kitchen Rules Is Doing A Masterchef And Not In A Positve Way

What is it with these networks that when their cooking reality shows become successful they start dicking the fans of the show around? First we saw it when the powers that be decided to split the Masterchef Australia finale with their new show The Renovators and now SEVEN have decided they will put My Kitchen Rules in hiatus over the Easter break because it is non-ratings period.

This could be a risky move and should anger the viewers.  My Kitchen Rules has had a very long season, clearly wanting to milk the show for all the ratings points it is worth. However the general perception is that it is now dragging on a bit – hello fourth round of instant restaurants – and there is a risk the viewers will just give up on the show prior to the finale.

Masterchef never recovered from their strategic blunder and it will be interesting to see if MKR has any fall out from this programming decision.

Anyway last night the fourth round of instant restaurants kicked off with Paul and Blair playing hosts. To be honest both of them looked pretty tired even before they started prepping the six dishes they were going to serve.

This time around the teams have to cook two entrees, two mains and two desserts. The teams then choose one dish they wish to order and both of those team mates were given it. The judges Manu and Pete ordered a different dish each.

For entree they had the choice between Wasabi and Avocado Soup with Marinated Tuna and Prawn Tempura with Beetroot Puree. Manu said that because wasabi was the ingredient that was mentioned first so was surprised he could not taste more of it in it. Chloe and Kelly thought it tasted more like cucumber then any of the other ingredients. What is the obsession with this year’s contestants and avocado. It is the death ingredient.

Pete Evans thought the prawn dish was too sweet.

Chloe and Kelly were being strategic and selecting the dish that higher degree of difficulty ie greater chance for the team to stuff up. For the main they chose the Salmon with the Moreton Bay Bug Ravioli over the Beef Cheeks with the Soy and Orange. The salmon was overcooked whereas the Beef was delicious with the only criticism Bree could come up with was the sauce soaked into the rice. What? Isn’t that what it is meant to do?

Manu took one for the judging team by being the judge to try the Triple Chocolate Cheesecake. In fact he was the only one to have it. The twins changed their dessert order to the Spice Cake With Lime Sorbet and Salty Coconut Sauce at the last minute. Did the producers put them up to this?

Manu gave the cheesecake a ten, and the cake also scored highly.

The scores were:

• Twins – 7
  • WA Girls – 7
  • Tassie Girls – 6
  • SA Mum’s – 6

Pete gave a 6 for entree, six for main, nine for dessert and Manu gave a six for entree, seven for main, and ten for dessert. This was a total of 70 points which should see them safe.

1 brain dead dave { 04.09.14 at 11:57 pm }

Steve Vizard thought he could lick the Taxation Department and failed. He’s a grubby fraudster.

2 daisy { 04.10.14 at 12:03 am }

Yeah but I did enjoy him bagging George.

I guess you can get caught with your hand in the taxation depts. cookie jar and still get work in telly. Not so Robert Hughes. I’ll bet he hears plenty of “Hey Dad!” in the shower block.

3 LB { 04.10.14 at 12:13 am }

Best part of tonight was watching that thing on the head of the tall one of C & K slide up and down, slightly sideways, then down and up again.
That was closely followed by the thing on the head of one of the Vic twins going further & further north. Was pretty funny when one of the other contestants said it looked as though it was trying to escape.

Ch 7 wardrobe, wtf were you thinking with those ridiculous costumes?

Meanwhile back at the food, the only thing I would have ordered in a real restaurant would have been the marron, which appeared to be a largely unloved dish by the cooks. It was the only thing which sounded edible.

And those boards that marrow entree was served on deserve to be relegated to 2010 along with mason jars. Ugh.

4 Ryan { 04.10.14 at 9:21 am }

I’m sorry, I just don’t get the confected outrage about this. Maybe I’m just cynical and jaded, but…whatever. I’ll still watch the show when it comes back, it’s just a few damn days.

5 Smythe { 04.10.14 at 9:55 am }

C & K got their arrogant arses kicked. Changing people’s palates…LOL. Those desserts really looked horrid….tiny brioche with curd, that’s really fine dining. 😉 As for the triple truffle dessert..just cause you use truffles doesn’t mean it’s fine.

6 Littlepetal { 04.10.14 at 10:11 am }

Just started to watch last night episode. Already the girls are blowing their own trumpets. Saying we are talented cooks!!!!

Using premium ingredients make it a premium restaurant. Really? You need to know how to cook them.

7 Bolders { 04.10.14 at 10:14 am }

Ali and Daisy (and the rest of y’all) I like this Dorothy Parker quote when she was callenged by a drunken buddy to come up with a bon mot using the word “horticulture”.

Miss Parker’s came back with: You can lead a whore to culture, but you can’t make her think.

Not pointing ANY fingers here.

8 donae { 04.10.14 at 10:16 am }

C and K drank their beer from the bottle at Paul and Blairs restaurant;
very fine dining.

9 Sarah { 04.10.14 at 10:18 am }

I have to admit that I have fast forwarded through more of MKR than I have watch these last two seasons. One thing I don’t understand from last night. Why would they leave making the ganache for the truffles until after the main was was served? Surely that would be the first thing you would do. I usually make my truffles (without any actual truffle) over two days.

10 layla { 04.10.14 at 10:32 am }

Kelly makes me sick. She has no conscience. She’s a sociopath – “we’re changing the world” on her meat dishes. I don’t dislike people who eat meat, I am not that pretenious, but she honestly makes me sick with the things she says acting like she is above everyone & everything. Grow a heart you sick bi*ch.

11 Littlepetal { 04.10.14 at 10:38 am }

So it confirmed that these girls are not fine dining chefs. They themselves said it needs fine dining chefs to make the truffle ice cream perfect. They didn’t.

12 daisy { 04.10.14 at 10:40 am }

I’ll have to get this Dorothy Parker woman’s biography.

I already have my vintage Donna Parker mint collection. But they have an entirely different moral code embedded.

As for C&K. That speak as though they know a lot but used cordial in their dessert.

Didn’t Bree and Jess look like two old “bargirls/hostesses” out of Gunsmoke.
They looked so funny with that silly headgear.

13 Kathl29 { 04.10.14 at 10:41 am }

I’m guessing I don’t need to wait until after Easter to know how this will pan out.

Chloe and Kelly at the bottom at the moment. Despite all the promo tears it is unlikely the Tassie girls or those annoying mums will do worse so the last instant restaurant round will be billed as the clash not to be missed. We will see Helena and Vicky make mistakes while Chloe and Kelly make suitably bitchy remarks until probably Helena and Vicki are eliminated with only a points difference. This series has been so scripted by the producers this year that I will be amazed if this is not what happens.

I am hoping that I am wrong as I am so over this fake rivalry rubbish – I just want to see people cooking some great food that makes me say yum. The only thing that has come close this year is Paul and Blair’s cheesecake and a couple of dishes in the earlier rounds. Otherwise it has been plate after plate of raw meat/chicken on purée or with beetroot.

14 daisy { 04.10.14 at 11:00 am }

I just clicked on “Megan Gale’s first nude scene” on Ninemsn. Now THAT is a beautiful girl/woman. Absolutely stunning.

Who was it we were accused of being jealous? I can’t recall but, if I was ever going to be jealous of anyone it would be more like to be this lovely girl.

15 brain dead dave { 04.10.14 at 11:08 am }

Chloe and Kelly are extremely pretentious but underneath that veneer, they are as dumb as dogshit. Jaws gibbered about the “opaqueness” of the scallops. It’s “opacity”. Similarly Horse Head blew smoke about “quails” the other night. The plural is the same -“quail”. In between mocking the “brain” shared by the twins. Those stuck up sows have got some big issues.

16 daisy { 04.10.14 at 11:13 am }

I would prefer the twins if they stopped saying, “shtraight”. And cut the goggle-eyed to-camera schtick.

17 Bolders { 04.10.14 at 11:17 am }

@ BDD #65 – you said a mouthful there Toots! (from an old Mickey Rooney film ) – you also just highlighted a pet peeve of mine: adding s to denote plural. Like Food and Fruit.

There is a so called health guru on Channel nine in the mornings sometimes that insists on referring to foods and fruits. Which just about makes me scream in frustration.

18 brain dead dave { 04.10.14 at 11:25 am }

Would that be Joanna Macmillan or something similar, Bolders? Scottish woman. Can’t stand her,either..

19 Bolders { 04.10.14 at 11:45 am }

Yes BDD that’s her – short dark hair.

“Balance your foodS.” “Make sure you eat plenty of fruitS.”
“Eat a range of fisheS”

Make it stop.

I admit, it is difficult to be me.

20 Ron Jeremy { 04.10.14 at 12:20 pm }

Chloe and Kelly are changing the world one bone at a time…
… just like me.

21 Candy Caning { 04.10.14 at 12:24 pm }

Perhaps you can use them in a video, Ron. I hear Kelly can unlock her lower jaw to fit any size bone or marrow.

22 layla { 04.10.14 at 12:29 pm }

The twins did have some funny comments last night I will say. “So we’ve heard Chloe & Kelly like to use store bought products, well lets hope they’ve used a good brand”. HAHAHA.

Their score of 3 was childish though.

23 Mark K { 04.14.14 at 6:56 pm }

This is total crap. First we had to endure Manu’s show on Sunday night (which I tolerated), now they’re showing Dog Patrol and Animal Airport tonight instead of giving us our regular dosage of MKR. All because of some stupid ratings.

Between this and the copious amount of ads (almost 45% of the show), I’ve lost patience. I’m tuning out and not looking back.

24 Littlepetal { 04.14.14 at 9:48 pm }
25 Juz { 04.14.14 at 10:37 pm }

Littlepetal – fascinating. Thanks for the link. I knew it would be an arduous process, but not that drawn out.

26 daisy { 04.14.14 at 11:07 pm }

Littlepetal, it is much better here now. The rough nuts seem to have gone and been replaced with sensible oldies. They don’t swim but just bob in the water like in the movie Cocoon.
We have even been making friends and discussing B&B and Love Child.

27 stair rails { 09.04.14 at 6:34 am }

A bathroom that looks good and functions well is a fantastic
place to be in. Replacing a front door is not an expensive undertaking, so do so if it needs it.
” “One reason, of course, is that curb appeal
has a strong effect on prospective buyers,” he continues, “Another has to do with cost.