The Biggest Loser Is Going Going Gone But TEN Are Still Sticking With Reality TV

If you are on the KFC Biggest Loser diet to get on the show next year, put the bucket of fried chicken down now. According to the SMH The Biggest Loser is to be axed by TEN due to the poor response it received by viewers.

The other show that will be gone as well is So You Think You Can Dance Australia. It never recovered from premiering against My Kitchen Rules and The Block.

The article states:

“We are happy to invest our money in reality but we have to find the right format,” [Hamish] McLennan says. “We are looking at so many different formats at the moment … The Biggest Loser is one that is getting to the end of its life cycle.”

Ten’s problems aren’t just its programs but also its programming decisions. Dating reality series The Bachelor is the perfect example.

It was launched on a Sunday night against reality talent shows The X Factor and Australia’s Got Talent. After the second episode of The Bachelor attracted about 550,000 viewers it was moved to later in the week and from then on it started to gain momentum.

The finale was no.1 with more than 1.1 million viewers, showing if Ten gets it’s programming right, it can attract a decent audience.

McLennan admits Ten has to lift its game.

“It’s a really complex issue (programming),” he says. “It’s the type of show we produce and the scheduling of that show and you have to get them working in unison and it’s fair to say we haven’t nailed that.”

McLennan says despite the poorer than expected figures from its two reality shows, The Biggest Loser and So You Think You Can Dance, network bosses weren’t backing away from the reality format.

They still have successful cooking series MasterChef and The Bachelor to come and Recipe To Riches will start production soon.

“We like reality, The Bachelor was really good for us last year and it will be even better this year, the issue is we have a few formats that are tired in their life cycle.”

Any ideas for TEN on some good reality formats?

1 Jayden { 04.11.14 at 3:18 pm }

If done right, with a decent host, good location, and a lot of money going into production, their is defiantly an audience for Survivor Australia.

2 wallah { 04.11.14 at 3:33 pm }

Just wasn’t the same without Munnalita.

3 Wotcha mean no biggest loser... { 04.11.14 at 3:47 pm }
4 Lisa Casey { 04.11.14 at 5:15 pm }

Maybe if Channel 10 took a more assertive approach to their programming and didn’t air the show around other higher rating shows, people would watch it. Fortunately I have Foxtel’s IQ and I just series link it, otherwise you need to be a detective to work out when it’s on. Consistency is key when you want to monitor user behaviour.

5 daisy { 04.11.14 at 5:27 pm }

Celebrity Reality Cleudo. Without really murdering anyone. Unless Karl S is in it. But it has to be better than the Mole.

Viweres could ring in each week with their guesses, or the name of the person they would like bumped off in the library or kitchen.

6 kes { 04.11.14 at 5:27 pm }

Channel Ten has always been a bit of a fizzer when it comes to home grown shows. I’m currently spell bound watching ABC1 Janet King which is so well made and excellent viewing,can’t take my eyes off each episode.Surely they should take a leaf from their book. Quality drama is not one of Ten’s strong points.

7 Andrea { 04.11.14 at 6:06 pm }

This season of BL was always destined to fail. Having all the contestants from the same town didn’t create enough interest.
Australia’s Next Top Model could move to Ten instead of pay tv.

8 Bronwyn { 04.11.14 at 6:26 pm }

Can’t agree Kes, Puberty Blues for me is a top watch.

9 LB { 04.11.14 at 6:54 pm }

If Ch 10 thought of some innovative programming I’d make a large bet that they would do well. Instead of sacrificing TBL & SYTYCD against the juggernauts that are TB & MKR, why not look at when they’re not on and snap up those timeslots? OK, there aren’t as many eyeballs on TV’s on Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights, but I would bet that, given these nights are a reality TV wasteland that there would be loads of people who would otherwise be watching one of the blockbuster reality shows on 9 & 10 who would tune in.

It would also get people back in the habit of watching 10. They can promo all the shows they want, but if there isn’t anyone to see the promos, what’s the use?

10 Gidgitvonlarue { 04.11.14 at 6:56 pm }

I d’loaded an American reality show called Opposite Worlds. Didn’t think I’d get into it as much as I did. It’s kind of a big brother but with one side of the house in luxury and the other side living in ‘cave man’ days. They do challenges to see who wins what side of the house. Ch 10 should look into it.
And seeing SO many of these contestants purposely go onto these reality shows to get a possible career in TV/radio etc – why not actually DO a reality show to find the next great TV host. They could put the contestants through all different TV hosting jobs with someone being eliminated each week. Feel free to call me Hamish! I’m a swirl of ideas!

11 Juz { 04.11.14 at 9:47 pm }

I used to watch Loser, but this season I never knew what night it was on. I would like to see fewer elaborate challenges and more begin the scenes stuff – show me what each contestant eats each day, and bring back the Friday night cooking segment. Hope Hayley Lewis can find a TV gig – she’s lovely. Maybe 10 could buy the rights to Great Australian Bake Off?

12 Fiona { 04.12.14 at 5:48 am }

Yes Australian Survivor would be great.

Also I’m sure ten are kicking themselves now that Big Brother is doing well for nine. Over the years there has been a few BB knock offs in the US, Gidgitvonlarue mentioned Opposite worlds, there is also the glass house another BB knock off. Come on Ten give us a BB type show and have an actual live feed.

13 brain dead dave { 04.12.14 at 10:38 am }

These were pivotal events in the demise of TBL in my opinion:

* discontinuation of Nollsy’s obesity anthem “Lift” as theme music for the show.
*the progressive softening of Commando’s image to a huggy cream puff.
*the “win ” of Margie a couple of years ago. I stopped watching regularly during that year.
*the shameless promotion of worthless shakes , krill oil etc by the trainers
*the abundance of empty promises from the contestants ie ” I’m going to give 110%”~ Pig’s arse you will.

14 Michelle c { 04.12.14 at 8:28 pm }

TBL – ep too long needed to be only a couple of nights & don’t compete with the block or any cooking show. Have a look at some NZ weight loss shows – forgot its name – also the US has a good one that follows a person around for a year & it’s all wrapped up in two shows – Ch 10 should look at a show for overweight ppl but under 100kg – nearly ever second person would qualify and more people could relate

15 Littlepetal { 04.13.14 at 1:02 pm }
16 Andrea { 04.13.14 at 2:45 pm }

Thanks, Littlepetal, he looks amazing, good on him.
I will be watching the final show just to see how they all look now.

17 daisy { 04.13.14 at 3:39 pm }

Littlepetal, TBL producers should come to Thailand for their obese Aussies. They abound here. You should see them stuffing themselves at brekkie. Like it will be their last meal ever.
And I have no idea what size their tattoos were when first done.

BTW I am getting over my culture shock at the ‘ugly Aussies abroad’ . Either that or they were still sleeping off their hangovers and in bed until midday.

18 Littlepetal { 04.13.14 at 3:45 pm }

daisy, they are everywhere! They just need to eat less and move more!

19 daisy { 04.13.14 at 3:51 pm }

If they ate less, they might be able to move.

If you go to Nepal, the Aussie tourists there are lean and fit, even the oldies. They are there to trek and climb and are usually dressed like David Attenborough.

20 Eliza { 04.14.14 at 1:57 am }

I went off TBL this year.. Just too much to bother watching and the trainers have just totally lost their credibility.. Ok, this probably happened long ago.

Shame about SYTYCD though, that show fullfills my dream of being an awesome dancer being able to live vicariously through the contestants haha

How’s Thailand going, Daisy? I am assuming by your comment that you are over there now? I get the feeling that many Australians like to assume stereotyped identities in countries like Thailand, Bali, etc. I have been told that you can often spot them drinking too much, eating too much or just generally being really loud!

21 daisy { 04.14.14 at 8:30 am }

Hi Eliza. We have been coming to Thailand almost every year for more than 20 years. It has changed a lot. It used to be popular with Euros but after the last of the Bali bombings the Aussie bogans moved in. And some Brit bogans. We knew this was the case but it was an easy holiday with the foot.
In July we go to Malaysia and that is now my new favourite for a close beach holiday.

22 Carol (without the e) { 04.14.14 at 10:27 am }

OH Kes… I couldn’t agree more! I have a clash of shows when Janet King is on so I have watched it on ABC iView on my iPad. I watched the first 7 episodes over a few days and now I have to wait till Thursday to see the next one!!! It’s killing me!!! What a fantastic show it is!!!

And Bronwyn!!! Puberty Blues is another of my favourite Aussie dramas at the moment. The joy those girls get from their friendship is so real and wonderful. It’s one show that I NEVER miss. The only thing that worries me about that show is that there’s probably lots of people that haven’t tuned in because they remember the book or the movie and have pre-judged the TV show. BIG mistake if anyone has done that! Buy it on DVD… catch up in the off season… you will not be sorry!!!

23 daisy { 04.14.14 at 10:37 am }

Eliza, here’s just one small eg out of many. We are walking through I nice cafe/cocktail lounge area of the hotel and a group of fat women, aged in their 50s, still in bathers sat with their feet on the coffee table.
If they knew anything about Thai culture they would have known that is even more rude and offensive than it would be in Australia if a person had any normal manners.

Emma, it won’t be like that where you are going. It’s different tourists there.

24 Reality Raver { 04.14.14 at 11:20 am }

Daisy – which part of Thailand are you in I have forgotten

25 daisy { 04.14.14 at 12:43 pm }

Emma, we are at Patong Beach, Phuket and we knew what we were getting into but each year it gets worse. It is the new Kuta Beach Bali.
I would only recommend it if you’re a huge fan of the yobbo culture.
But we came to enjoy swimming and to relax, and except fot the really bad blaring music they now have in the hotel, it is ticking those boxes as they say in Escape to the Country.
And the food is fantastic.
For us Thailand has passed it’s use by date because even all the quiet little islands have now gone crazy with development.
It’s more of a mixed bag where you are going, and not a hot spot so it should be quieter.

I will whisper to you later where my best destination is for a family beach holiday.

26 daisy { 04.14.14 at 12:49 pm }

I must also add, that we are here in one of the busiest seasons and that doesn’t help.

If you ever are in Patong Lair Lay Ton is the best Thai place we have ever found. We have eaten there for nearly 20 years and it has always been cheap and delicious.
The other night we had kung sarong(prawns wrapped in noodle and deep fried) with chillie, coconut, lemon grass chicken soup, yellow crab curry, two steamed rice, one large beer one water for $20 total. It is in Soy Doctor Wattana.

27 daisy { 04.14.14 at 1:05 pm }

India is always good, but perhaps not for some. I love it. You need time to get around though. And forget beaches. They are toilets.

28 Eliza { 04.15.14 at 2:49 am }

Mmm that food sounds delicious, Daisy! For the reasons you’ve mentioned, contrary to most my age, Thailand and Bali are not top of my to do list. It won’t anytime soon unless I hit the jackpot, but my next holiday will hopefully be the UK, Canada/Alaska or NY.. I have always dreamed of Italy but the murano glass over there would kill me bc I’d want to buy it all!

Carol, funny you say that about PB, as the promo I saw tonight I said again I don’t know what the fuss is about that show! All I see is that dad getting all upset about his daughter getting it on. Ch 10 have had some good success with their drama lately though esp Offspring. I like the Wonderland show, too.

29 Gabby { 04.15.14 at 11:59 am }

Kes @ 6 and Carol @ 22 you are both spot on about Janet King, what an excellent show. The best Australian show I have seen for a long time.
Leaves the others for dead. Who do you think the leak is? I am thinking Vince Colosimo’s character maybe? I’m probably wrong.
Anyway, it is a great show and I for one will be disappointed when it is over.

30 Carol (without the e) { 04.16.14 at 4:12 pm }

Well Gabby… I was wrong about the killer on Secrets & Lies… so I’m not sure how good I’ll be at guessing the leak on Janet King.

I do think that Damian Walshe-Howling’s character is probably going to be a bit of a red herring. It’s so easy to slip into the belief that the sneaky suspicious looking prosecutor is guilty. Perhaps it is Vince after all. Hmmm…

31 daisy { 04.16.14 at 6:09 pm }

Yes, Eliza, the food really, really is delicious.
And we have settled into having a good time, although we can’t see ourselves coming back now.

I think Croatia sounds good.

32 Littlepetal { 04.16.14 at 6:51 pm }

If going to Croatia, remember to go to Slovenia! Some beautiful hike with stunning views

33 Gabby { 04.16.14 at 7:08 pm }

Carol, did I hear right that it’s the final tomorrow night? I sort of don’t want it to end.
I hope they do a second series.

Eliza, I will come to Venice with you, my one of favourite places, beautiful, I love it, so quiet amongst other things. I know what you mean about the glass, I brought home a couple of small pieces, very small.

34 Eliza { 04.17.14 at 1:35 am }

Wow, Gabby, you have restraint! The first thing I would learn in Italian is “do you post to Australia?”. I’m terrible!

35 daisy { 04.17.14 at 1:48 am }

Smart girl Eliza. Not many people realize they can always buy an extra bag and go excess baggage (unless you’re flying one of the cheapies) or use a courier. It’s well worth it for something nice or good value.

36 daisy { 04.17.14 at 1:50 am }

Some shops will even post it for you. They get better rates because they are regular senders. When we bought stuff fom a shops in India, they would not only send what we bought from them but also everything else we had bought along the way, and we’d get a much cheaper rate.

37 Escorts leeds { 07.14.14 at 10:55 am }

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your
articles? I mean, what you say is important and everything.

Nevertheless imagine if you added some great pictures or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!
Your content is excellent but with images and videos, this website
could definitely be one of the most beneficial in its niche.
Good blog!

38 Anonymous { 09.25.14 at 2:37 am }

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I
could add to my blog that automatically tweet
my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a
plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would
have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if
you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I
look forward to your new updates.