My Kitchen Rules Linked To Increase In Food Poisoning Cases And Yes We Are Looking At You Josh

Is Danielle crying as she knows a bout of Salmonella is coming her way?

Is Danielle crying as she knows a bout of Salmonella is coming her way?

This season of My Kitchen Rules there has been a plethora of undercooked food including lamb, beef and chicken. However in South Australia there has been an increase in Salmonella poisoning from undercooked eggs and health authorities are pointing the finger at the popular reality show.

In fact it looks like Josh from Victoria could be the culprit. He does work for a pharmaceutical company is there a conspiracy theory here or is it just bad cooking?

The Adelaide Advertiser states:

A SPIKE in food poisoning cases has been linked to South Australians undercooking eggs at home.

The new cases have sparked warnings from health authorities to be wary of attempting techniques used on television cooking shows.

SA Health figures show 353 cases of potentially life-threatening salmonellosis have been reported throughout the state so far this year. That is about a third more than the number of cases — 267 — reported at the same time last year.

About 15 per cent of cases this year were hospitalised.

SA Health director of food safety and nutrition Dr Fay Jenkins said that while raw chicken and other meat can lead to salmonella poisoning, undercooked eggs were believed to be responsible for the recent increase.

“Millions of eggs are eaten each week,” she said. “It’s the exposure we have to eggs. There is nothing that has linked these cases to a restaurant or anything like that.

“We believe it is linked to the handling of eggs at home.”

Dr Jenkins warned against using such techniques as the 60/60 method of cooking eggs at a lower temperature of 60C for the longer timeframe of 60 minutes, a method featured on television cooking show My Kitchen Rules.

“These techniques are really exact and use very specific equipment that the people on TV usually have the skills and knowledge to use,” she said.

She also suggested foods containing raw eggs, such as drinks, aioli, tiramisu and mayonnaise be eaten soon after they have been prepared.

Symptoms of salmonellosis can include headache, fever, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting, and can last from days to weeks.

Last year, a total of 977 salmonella poisoning cases were reported to SA Health.

Dr Jenkins urged anyone experiencing these symptoms to seek medical assistance.

For more information about egg safety, visit www.sahealth.sa.gov.au

What would be interesting to know is whether this spike of food poisoning cases is just specific to South Australia and not the other states. Or are South Australians more likely to copy cooking techniques from reality TV cooking shows?

1 Georgie { 04.16.14 at 9:18 am }

Or maybe SA’s eat more eggs? SA also experienced a very hot summer with a series of heat waves which could impact on food storage, before and after purchse.

2 Reality Raver { 04.16.14 at 9:36 am }

Georgie – I thought reality TV was the blame for everything bad that occurs in society?

3 Reality Raver { 04.16.14 at 9:37 am }

Georgie – I should add that one of my specialities is beating up a story that has already been beaten up!

4 brain dead dave { 04.16.14 at 9:42 am }

Regardless of the use by date, I’ll test every egg to make sure it’s not off and thoroughly cook/boil it. Always free range eggs. That way the produce is not literally to die for.

This serve it raw philosophy we see on these shows escapes me , along with the wannabes having to have their hands and fingers over everything. How often do we see them wash their hands prior to handling food? Never.

When I watched The Restaurant with Raymond Blanc the other night, it was pleasing to see some contestants actually using utensils to handle food, as well as a camera showing a charter of kitchen hygiene attached prominently to a door. It’s not a bad show actually.

5 brain dead dave { 04.16.14 at 10:44 am }

Our eggs might be suspect but Premiers love our wines.

6 daisy { 04.16.14 at 11:55 am }

What gets me is all this resting, then allowing 15 minutes to plate up. I like my food hot. I don’t want meat dripping nor transcluscent seafood. And I don’t want to eat food that looks like every element has been primped and posed more than a competitor on BNTM.

7 daisy { 04.16.14 at 11:58 am }

They have even caught the bug here. In one of the elevators there is a restaurant poster with a photo of a large beef roast that is only cooked for about a cm or two on the outer circumfrence.
Yeah, that would be a good idea to eat raw meat in the tropics.

8 Littlepetal { 04.16.14 at 1:18 pm }

If the eggs are fresh, you can eat them raw.

9 daisy { 04.16.14 at 1:24 pm }

Litt!epetal, there are plenty of Japanese who would attsst to that. And raw beef and fish. We were even given completely raw chicken in one fancy place. I couldn’t bring myself to eat it though.

10 Littlepetal { 04.16.14 at 1:31 pm }

I remember growing up eating Hainanese Chicken Rice cooked at home and the chicken is just cooked. Still red at the joints and that is how we like it.

We also used to crack an egg on the hot rice and eat that for lunch. No problem there. Fresh egg.

11 daisy { 04.16.14 at 1:46 pm }

Speaking of dying from germs, I am pretty sure the room cleaners here have been using the used hand towels as tea towels to wipe out the coffee cups. I caught a glimpse in the mirror reflection. It also stands to reason as it’s the quickest way to do it.
I’m off to have a cuppa now.

12 SCHAICH { 09.19.14 at 5:34 am }

Typically I do not read publish for blogs and forums, having said that i would choose to declare that this specific write-up really forced my family to perform hence! A person’s composing preference may be astonished myself.. Visit Web Page Thanks a lot, really great post.