My Kitchen Rules – The Meltdown

Props to Chloe and Kelly who were bottom of the leader board for scoring Tassie girls, Thalia and Bianca, fairly. A five out of ten was about right for what was a pretty erratic night. But boos to SEVEN for the week’s break from My Kitchen Rules as it really took the momentum out of the show. Even with the girls sobbing on camera I was finding it hard to care.

However it was still the highest rating show of the night but then there WAS nothing else on.

Thalia and Bianca were the third of the final five teams to cook in their ultimate restaurant round where they had to offer up two dishes for each course. Thalia and Bianca’s was a bit hit and miss. For entree they served up Salmon Rilettes with Olive Toast. Manu finished his plate but then complained the salmon was overcooked. No surprise as they were freestyling the confiting of the fish. Josh probably had a panic attack when he saw that they did not have the thermometer in the oil the whole time.

Their other entree was a bit weird. It was Deep Fried Silverbeet Ravioli with Basil Filling. It would have been divine if it had not hit the deep fryer. Pete thought it did not make sense, was too dry and the Basil and Tomato salad did not go with it.

It was the main course where they started unravelling. The mains were Braised Duck with Pinot servered Mashed Potato and Red Cabbage and Blue-Eyed Trevalla with Potato Scales and Pea Puree. In fact it would be interesting to know how long it took them to get the dishes on the table. As earlier in the episode Manu said the duck would take two to three hours to cook in the oven to get it falling off the bone and it was. But it was put in the oven just as the teams arrived. Also when they were trying to crisp up the skin they said it was cold which meant it must have been out of the oven for quite some time.

The potatoes on the fish were cut far too thick so when they were placed in the pan burnt but were still raw. Also it looked like Bianca had overlapped them too much. Bianca decided to deep fry them and place them on top. Once they plated the mains up they both started sobbing which continued while they were waiting to be judged.

They need not have worried too much as Pete Evans thought the Duck was melt in your mouth and as good as home cooking gets. I note he only gave it an eight out of ten. So it was not perfect. The girls did manage to render the fat out of the duck properly which is more then a lot of other teams have been able to do this year.

The fish was overcooked though Bree said it was not woeful. The Queensland boys thought the duck was great, and Chloe and Kelly were bitching about the lack of crispy skin but were not wanting to hand over their plate for the boys to finish.

Again there must have been a big wait between main and dessert as the tart pastry cases were only being cooked after mains had been served and they would have needed to cool down. Desserts were Palm Sugar Bavarois with Poached Pear, and Rhubarb and Hazelnut Tartlet with Cinnamon Ice Cream.

Bianca had another meltdown after dropping one of the tarts on the floor. Bree and Jessica said they would share and this did not seem to impact on the score they gave.

Considering Bianca had made the custard of the ice-cream it turned out OK. Manu’s big criticism was that it was made with cinnamon powder. Also that the

Thalia must have decided to give up at this point as she put a hot poached pear on the unset Palm Sugar Bavarois. It was surprising it did not turn it into a puddle on the plate. However it was not Pete’s biggest complaint he thought the spices were overpowering and confusing. He must have taken one bite before he started nibbling on his activated trail mix again.

The scores were:

Qld – 6

Vic – 6

SA – 5

WA – 5

This was a total of 22 out of 40.

Manu gave a eight for entree, a five for main, a seven for dessert and Pete gave a four for entree, a nine for main, and a three for dessert. Tears again by the girls.

They got a grand total of 58 which placed them at the bottom of the leader board. They were sobbing, however they should take comfort in the fact that Vikki and Helena still have to cook.

1 daisy { 04.22.14 at 11:43 pm }

Bree might get past the post by a nose.

2 brain dead dave { 04.22.14 at 11:53 pm }

While I fully get why people think Bree’s a horse , when I look at her I see that bloody big mouth and teeth and think of the entrance to Luna Park or when her mane is frizzed up it’s Krusty the Clown. You just want to plonk a couple of ping pong balls into her grating gob and try to win a fluffy toy into the bargain. She’s got to have the most annoying voice to come out of Adelaide since Jimmy Barnes.

3 Smythe { 04.23.14 at 2:05 am }

The BS scoring is so obvious. Since I’m now a vegetarian I don’t eat mole but in the days before vegetarianism I have eaten and cooked it. If I were served that in a restaurant I would have returned it….that was NOT mole. Only “mole” I could see was sitting on Manu’s head. Would have scored that dish a zero. Didn’t even consider it a deconstructed mole, just a hunk of chicken with some chocolate sauce. The dessert of peaches (not easy to eat) and ice cream…so simple…and gets a high score. Flan cafe and churros, the combination not to Manu’s liking gets an 8. They get a perfect score for the pig’s cheeks but the Tassie girls were not given a perfect score for the main that Pete raved about. LOL

4 daisy { 04.23.14 at 3:18 am }

Well you guys have all convinced me, I have missed nothing except being annoyed at the cheating scores.
Time for a new show then.

5 Littlepetal { 04.23.14 at 8:11 am }

BDD #52- That was so funny. Bree does look like the clown in Luna Park!

This show has lost its credibility. Just like Masterchef.

Daisy-you didn’t miss a thing.

6 Sandii { 04.23.14 at 10:31 am }

I agree about the stock going down the gurgler. I think Bree handled it all too well. If it had been half as bad as was promoted Bree would have taken off Jessica’s head.
Cuisinaire I also agree about the dessert fork…

7 daisy { 04.23.14 at 11:03 am }

Is Bree racing tonight?
She might win the Cup.

8 brain dead dave { 04.23.14 at 11:17 am }

Bree’s signature dish is Horse d’oeuvres.

9 Sandii { 04.23.14 at 11:21 am }

@58… classic gold!

10 PoRk ChOp { 04.23.14 at 6:41 pm }

Piks chiks are not “fine dining.” My stomach turned, when Horse-faced Bree shoveled that fat-laden mess into her big gob.

Smythe, I was only half with it, when I read the blog, and thought you were talking about eating those ugly furry little rat-like critters called “moles.” I was thanking FSM that you are now a vego!

Not surprised that Pit is a liar, and a thief – the two go hand in hand. At some point, in the future, I can see him running (nuts in hands) from those ACA reporters (that try to confront con men), while the con men push the attendant camera men, over. ACA will be chasing Pit down Bondi Beach. He will be struggling to run, with his wet suit around his ankles :)

11 daisy { 04.23.14 at 11:00 pm }

Ah, Porkchop, I have missed you.

And I thought they were eating moles too. It could have explained the one nesting on Manu’s head.

12 Smythe { 04.24.14 at 4:30 am }

Pork chop, I was lazy and forgot the accent mark…molé. :-)