My Kitchen Rules – Nice Guys Don’t Always Finish First.

It was a slightly surprising result on My Kitchen Rules first semi final where the “bad girls” beat the nice blokes. Β You knew Paul and Blair were in trouble when they decided to make a Red Wine Chocolate Ganache on their main dish of Kangaroo with Baby Beetroots and Blueberry Sauce.

However Chloe and Kelly did balance out that poor menu choice by deciding to make a Deconstructed Champagne and Strawberry Trifle. Anything deconstructed should have an automatic two point deduction. Also don’t want to be a pedant but there was no custard only cream.

To be fair it was a close night of cooking and both of these teams should be the ones fighting it out in the Grand Final on Tuesday. Indeed if Paul and Blair had not undercooked the fish for Colin Fassnidge and Manu Feildel in their entree of Red Snapper with Asian Broth the result would have been different. Paul must have been rushing it as he had to re-do some of the Snapper as he had not scored the skin well enough and it curled up.

Chloe and Kelly’s Lobster and Smoked Salmon with Lotus Root looked quite creamy but most of the judges liked it and the main criticism appeared to be the smoked salmon overpowered the dish. The girls were right down to the wire with producing their entree and Kelly was only deep frying the lotus root a couple of minutes from the deadline. What confused me is putting allegedly piping hot lotus root straight from the deep fryer on the plate resting on the cucumber and creamy seafood and it did not wilt or melt it. From the editing it looked like they would not have time to cook it down.

Their main of Fish with Crazy Water looked like it was going to be a disaster. First they were making it with flathead tails but also they were using a lot of chilli. However Guy Grossi was in raptures when he was eating it as were the rest of the table. I think it is fair to say this was dish of the day.

Paul and Blair’s dessert of Espresso Parfait with Sesame Seed Crisp also was one of the best dishes of the day. Pete Evans said it was the best of their dishes. Guy Grossi described it as “truly magnificent”.

The score for Chloe and Kelly were:

Guy Grossi – 8

Karen Martini – 7

Colin Fassnidge – 7

Liz Egan – 9

Pete Evans – 8

Manu Feildel – 7

They lost by one point to the WA girls.

1 Uel's Cannons { 04.28.14 at 7:50 pm }

Looks like broth and ice-cream are big in the kitchens.

2 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 7:53 pm }

Same with last year. Every other dessert has ice cream.

I think the cinnamon ice cream is going to be too strong with cinnamon flavour. They put like a dozen cinnamon sticks in the ice cream.

3 Uel's Cannons { 04.28.14 at 7:57 pm }

HOW MUCH FOOD HAVE THOSE GIRLS WASTED?

WHEN WILL BREE TAKE OVER THE WORLD?

4 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 8:00 pm }
5 anny { 04.28.14 at 8:03 pm }

I still don’t understand the concept of blind tasting if two of the main judges knows who cooked the dishes.

6 Uel's Cannons { 04.28.14 at 8:03 pm }

Karen Ai Ai Ai!

Did I just develop X-ray vision?

7 Windsong { 04.28.14 at 8:14 pm }

KFC aren’t even cooking, tonight, and they’re still television-screen-smashingly obnoxious. Yikes.

8 Tuppence { 04.28.14 at 8:21 pm }

All I can say is after tonight, only one night to go listening to KFC! Woohoo

9 Georgie { 04.28.14 at 8:21 pm }

Wtf! Madam Lash just put the duck breasts in the oven, straight onto the oven rack! There’s no tray under them or on the shelf below to catch the fat.

10 Uel's Cannons { 04.28.14 at 8:28 pm }

————–

Shheeeesss nooottttt cclleeaaaniinnngg iittt.

11 Georgie { 04.28.14 at 8:32 pm }

Mmmmmeeeeeeee eeeeeeittthhhheeeeerrrrr.

What an inconsiderate bitch she is!

12 Uel's Cannons { 04.28.14 at 8:48 pm }

Harder fruit like Apple is much better in tarte tartan.

13 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 8:48 pm }

I think the Twins are gone

14 Windsong { 04.28.14 at 8:54 pm }

Yeah, I’m genuinely surprised that the twins look like they’re going to lose.

Having said that … one of these teams is woefully inconsistent, and the other are terrifying bossy who don’t understand that raw chicken is bad.

What the hell, channel 7? Really? This is the grand final?

15 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 8:55 pm }

What a horrible finale!!!

I am suspicious of the best ice cream. I saw heaps of cinnamon sticks in the ice cream but recipe on website only have one stick

16 BakerBoy { 04.28.14 at 8:56 pm }

I am not invested tonight. I dont really care who wins, because in my opinion, the wrong teams are in the GF regardless of how you look at it.
It should have been Paul & Blair v Thalia & Bianca.

One thing I know for certain is that if the SA Mums win tonight, I will be free to get in my own kitchen tomorrow night because I couldnt give a figs stuff about watching two nasty teams slug it out to see who will steal the title best!
Totally uninterested!

If the Twins win tonight, I might watch it tomorrow night, but geez, really ambivalent about it?
I dont really care any more now.
Ch 7 are idiots!

We want a cooking show not a bitch show.
There is plent of other crap to choose from if we just want to see people mouthing off and slagging each other.

17 BakerBoy { 04.28.14 at 9:07 pm }

Yi hah! I have tomorrow night free!
I am totally uninterested in watching those two teams compete.
I am laughing!

I am a foodie, so it takes a special kind of stupid for a TV show to lose me…. and Ch 7 have done just that!
LOL!
Gold plated idiots!

Walks out the door laughing and shaking head….

18 Techhater { 04.28.14 at 9:12 pm }

Bakerboy i’ve been absent for a while and your comment is the only one i’ve read in the past 3 weeks and i have to agree it should have been the dads and the tassie girls. I have to ask the question ” whose c*ck did WA girls s*ck to get to the grandfinal. πŸ‘Ώ

19 Andrea { 04.28.14 at 9:12 pm }

The only good thing about the grand final is that we can see all the other contestants, some of whom should have been there instead of Bree, Jessica and KFC.
Agree with you BakerBoy as to who the final two teams should have been.

Techhater, welcome back, you have the devil in you!

20 Jaycee47 { 04.28.14 at 9:14 pm }

I know what you mean about cleaning an oven after cooking duck. I once did Peking duck in a fan forced oven and it took two days to clean! Needless to say I haven’t made that mistake again. Oven bags are the go now.

21 Karen Martini is the new Nigella { 04.28.14 at 9:17 pm }

Whoever scripted the display of Karen’s puppies….we want more!

22 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 9:24 pm }

RR having a live blog tomorrow. Not sure how many will be watching and comment.

23 Techhater { 04.28.14 at 9:26 pm }

Andrea Have to admit I’m so mad at outcome. What can i say????

Have totally given up on MKR and look forward to a great MC season. Let’s hope rumours are true and Colin takes over from Pete and his over activated nuts.

24 Reality Raver { 04.28.14 at 9:29 pm }

Little Petal – Will have a live blog tomorrow night for the finale.

25 Techhater { 04.28.14 at 9:35 pm }

Karen Martini is the new Nigella @71 It could have been worse. It could have been Susie Elelman.

26 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 9:35 pm }

Not keen to watch the finale.

27 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 9:39 pm }

The scandals on Woman’s Day is funny. It said there are chefs cooking in the sudden death challenges and the judges doesn’t know who cooked what.

Also the failed dessert of the Twins was changed to Burnt Butter custard instead of ice cream on the website.

Still suspicious of the cinnamon icecream

28 Tuppence { 04.28.14 at 9:40 pm }

Thanks RR. Will look forward to following it. In Adelaide we are half an hour behind, so I will be put out of my misery before the announcement is made here.

29 daisy { 04.28.14 at 9:46 pm }

I’m not mad at any of the outcomes, contrived or otherwise. It just has been such a dull season with boring cooking.

It’son atm for 5 secs, only asI get ready to move on. Long enough for me to hear ‘shtrong flavour’.
I am going to continue my Doc Phil marathon.

30 Windsong { 04.28.14 at 9:47 pm }

I have to admit, I’m into guys … but Karen is looking particularly scrumptious lately. Is that weird?

As for the finale, I can’t stand either of these teams. I’ll be disappointed no matter who wins (unless the teams invade the kitchen floor and lock KFC and the mums in the storeroom and then take over. I’d watch that). The only good thing to come out of this whole season (aside from Harry having a shower. More of that please, channel 7) is that really awesome Justice Crew song.

31 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 9:52 pm }

I really really hope MC will be better this year to give MKR a kick in the backside.

32 Juz { 04.28.14 at 9:57 pm }

I thought the grand final would be like a six-course dinner, but just read this on news.com.au “Teams will have to plate up a total of 100 meals for a full restaurant in the Grand Final.” This makes me think WA will win, as they are better under pressure.

33 brain dead dave { 04.28.14 at 10:02 pm }

It’d be a foolish, not to mention desperate man to put his co*k in between those jaws, techhater. It’d be safer in a bear trap.

Mums if you can’t pronounce Tarte tatin, don’t make it. What a celebration of illiteracy this show has been.

Horse Head and Jaws got way too much camera time and they weren’t even cooking, mostly laughing, gloating and making embarrassments of themselves.

34 Littlepetal { 04.28.14 at 10:02 pm }

Grand Finale is a 5 course meal with 10 dishes per course.

Dan and Steph said they cooked 3 courses one day and 2 courses the next day

35 Georgie { 04.28.14 at 10:03 pm }

Yay Windsong a fellow Justice Crew fan. For a dance troupe they sure can sing.

36 Juz { 04.28.14 at 10:09 pm }

Thanks for the link, Littlepetal. Interesting that they cooked over two days for the grand finale.

37 brain dead dave { 04.28.14 at 10:21 pm }

Manu’s opening salvo was pretty ordinary:

“Zere will be a huge butthole in ze keetchen tonart. Ze wiener will go into ze Grunt Funhole”

(There will be a huge battle in the kitchen tonight.The winner will go into the Grand final))

38 Windsong { 04.28.14 at 11:10 pm }

“Grunt funhole” is an oddly-awesome euphemism for sex.

39 Calorie Loader { 04.29.14 at 12:56 am }

Georgie@59-yep, that’s why it looked like a liposuction gone very wrong on the oven door.
LP@65-my thoughts exactly. In fact, didn’t the Tassie girls make a cinnamon arse cream with far fewer sticks which was criticized as having overly bold flavours that ruined the dish (and that was before it hit the deck).
Thanks BDD for that cracker Manu translation πŸ˜†