Live Blog: My Kitchen Rules – Grand Final And The Winner Is….

Bree and Jess resized

The mum’s from South Australia, Bree and Jessica, were the winners of season five of My Kitchen Rules. They beat Chloe and Kelly by two points to take home the $250,000 first prize, making the months they were away from their family worthwhile.

The teams had to make a five course meal with 20 serves per course. Jess and Bree’s menu was classic flavours with a modern twist. Their first course was Beetroot Carpaccio with Cured Salmon, followed by Open Scallop Salad, third course was Spiced Squab with Heirloom Carrost and Pomegranate Jus, 4th course was Ouzo and Tomato Braised Lamb with Wild Greens Potatoes and Consomme,  and dessert was Deconstructed Rhubarb and Chocolate Tart.

The Western Australia girls can take heart that Manu said the morel sauce that went with their Veal Sweetbreads was the best sauce he had ever had on My Kitchen Rules. Their menu had a tad more risks in it. They started with a Caprese Salad where they made their own mozzarella cheese, followed by Confit of Trouth with a Broad Bean Pesto. Their third course was Veal Sweetbreads with Morel Sauce, followed by Pig Trotter’s Crepinette, and dessert was Rose Chocolate with Spiced Figs and Pistachio Ice Cream.

Bree and Jessica scored a nine from each of the judges taking their score to 54 out of 60 beating Chloe and Kelly by two points.

For the full run down on the finale read the live blog below.

Join the blog here to discuss live the My Kitchen Rules grand final. Apologies to those who are not on Eastern Standard Time.

7.35pm – The team work through the MKR kitchen but will they start cooking before 7.45pm or will it be filler and tears as the family and contestants are introduced?

7.39pm – Manu is wearing a purple velvet jacket – Matt Preston will be jealous. The teams talk about why they will win.

7.40pm – They are told they have to plate up a five course meal which will be over 100 plates in total.

7.41 pm – Bree and Jessica’s menu is modern twist on classic flavours. Their first course is Beetroot Carpaccio with Cured Salmon, Open Scallop Salad, third course is Spiced Squab with Heirloom Carrost and Pomegranate Jus, 4th course is Ouzo and Tomato Braised Lamb with Wild Greens Potatoes and Consomme, Deconstructed Rhubarb and Chocolate Tart.

Chloe and Kelly are making Caprese Salad for first course, Confit Ocean Trout with Broad Bean Pesto, Veal Sweetbreads with Morel Mushrooms and Pea Foam,  Pigs Trotter Crepinette with Crispy Pig’s Ears, and  Rose Chocolate with Spiced Figs and Pistachio Ice cream.

7.41 pm – They have two hours before they have to get the first course out.

7.51pm – OMG Chloe and Kelly are making their own mozzarella! This could be a disaster.

7.52pm – The Captain is there hope he gets some quips to camera.

8.02pm – And first course is up. In my opinion on looks alone Bree and Jessica’s looks better.

8.05pm – Liz Egan says Bree and Jessica’s dish is dancing on her palate. Manu is liking the horseradish cream. And Corinne is wondering where the avocado is (Joking).

8.06pm – Manu tells the judges they made their own cheeses. Guy Grossi thinks their Caprese Salad works.

8.10pm – An hour until the next course. Chloe and Kelly are Confiting their Trout. Jessica made the pasta shapes too small so is having to roll it out again.

8.15pm – Carly won’t be eating the pigs trotters to “babe” for her.

8.16 pm – Jessica starts crumbling “I am not coping”. Bree probably wants to slip her a Xanax.

8.20pm – Not sure what the point of the pasta or lasagne sheets are on Bree and Jessica’s Open Scallop Lasagne. Bree and Kelly’s Confit of Ocean Trout looks delicous.

8.21pm – Of course there is going to be bones in the fish as they talked about it over and over.

8.22pm – Liz Egan and Karen Martini smile politely at each other as the praise the delicate Scallop Lasagne.

8.23 pm – And we have bones in Guy Grossi’s trout. Uh oh. The other judges loved the crispy skin.

8.24pm – one hour until the next course and it is getting exotic. Bree and Jessica were making Squab with Heirloom Carrots and the WA girls are making Veal Sweetbreads and morels.

8.35pm – Jessica double dips into her vegetable puree.

8.36pm – Josh gets jealous as Kelly pumps out some pea foam.

8.40pm – Bree has a meltdown mid cutting up the squab and decides she needs to deal with the fourth course putting the lamb in different moulds. Jessica is plating up the Squab by herself.

8.41pm – The squab dish looks great on the plate or tile which it is plated on. Karen said the favours work exceptionally well together. Pete thought the carrots needed five more minutes in the pan and then says there is nothing to fault with this dish. What?

8.42pm – Colin Fassnidge said the sweet breads have blown me away. Karen was in love with the morel sauce. Manu said it was the best sauce he has ever had on My Kitchen Rules.

8.53pm – Jessica says she is using a biscuit base to her tart to give it a modern twist.

8.54pm – Kelly starts talking about bones in her pigs trotters which means one will be found on tasting. The meat looks yucko.

8.56pm – Jessica is getting uptight as their ice cream is too runny. Not sure why they left it so late to do it.

8.57pm – Chloe makes perfect ganache, Jessica has to throw hers away and start again. She is unravelling fast.

9.03pm – Neither of the mains look fabulous. Both look like big hunks of meat.

9.05pm – Judges start with the Pig’s Trotter Crepinette with Crispy Pig’s ears.  Colin said this dish is my style of cooking. It is a stand out dish. Manu said full of flavour and techniques.  Karen Martini said she thought there was a slight repetition of flavours. Liz thought the sauce was too salty.

9.07pm – The Ouzo and Tomato with Lamb with consomme also was well received. The judges loved the consomme. Liz said it was perfection. Not surprising the Greek twins loved this dish.

9.08pm – They have 45 minutes before they have to serve their dessert.

9.16pm – The chocolate ganache quenelles on Bree and Jessica’s plate looks like poop.

9.20pm – Not sure about Bree and Jessica’s Deconstructed Rhubarb and Chocolate Tart as deconstructed dishes always look a mess.

9.21pm – They try Chloe and Kelly’s Rose Chocolate with Spiced Figs dish first. Guy Grossi is really liking the dark bitterness of the chocolate. Colin likes that it is not too swet. Guy thinks the rose glass is not working for him.

9.23pm – Now it is on to Bree and Jessica’s Deconstructed Rhubarb and Chocolate Tart. Guy said all the flavours are sensational. Manu said it was a great dessert.

9.29pm – And they are getting ready to do the scoring this could go on awhile.

9.40 pm – Waiting for scores whilst Bree and Jessica say they are doing it for their families AGAIN.

9.47pm – Chloe and Kelly are being scored first. Karen Martini gives a 9, Colin an eight, Liz gives an 8, Guy Grossi a 9, Manu a 9, and Pete a 9. A total of 52 out of 60.

9.48pm – Bree and Jessica’s scores are: Karen Martini scores a 9, Guy Grossi a 9, Liz a 9, Colin, 9, Manu a 9 and Pete gave them a 9. They are the winner of 54 out of 60. Winning $250,000 should put them back on speaking terms.

1 donae { 04.30.14 at 10:04 am }

I don’t really care who won, but cold lamb pressed into a shape and flashed fried (still cold in the middle ? ) as an award winning dish.
In future I will present the roast leftovers with a lot more flourish

2 Blake { 04.30.14 at 10:13 am }

It’s best not to frequent the Facebook pages for reality shows, Evan. I feel like I have lost brain cells whenever I have in the past…

3 Culinary Boner { 04.30.14 at 10:59 am }

Bring on MasterChef say I.*
Shine will have to surpass themselves to make it any worse than MKR.

* I need the menswear style tips that George, Matt and Gazza never fail to deliver at the start of each season.

4 layla { 04.30.14 at 11:36 am }

To me this finale was like – would you rather get stabbed or shot? Because either way you’re hurt like hell. I didn’t watch. I just hope Jessica sues Bree for emotional problems bought by the stress she caused the poor woman & takes her half of the share.

5 Maz { 04.30.14 at 12:16 pm }

It is amusing that as much as there is complaints about the focus on contestants’ back stories, we use these back stories to determine whether or not these contestants are worthy winners.

I think it was wrong for Ch7 to film alternative endings then decide who has won. The delay in the broadcast suggests that they were gauging public reaction before declaring a winner and being “Mums’ made the SA pair more socially acceptable winners than Miss Contiki and her side kick.

6 Rosie { 04.30.14 at 12:19 pm }

So, who won… was it the Qld dads or the Tassie girls?

*Rosie puts her fingers back in her ears and recommences humming as loudly as possible.

7 daisy { 04.30.14 at 12:24 pm }

CB do you think Jowlsy might have gone molehead for the new season.

I hope George has learned not to lick his knife. But then perhaps that’s his signature.

I will look fd to MC but if after 2 weeks it is as bad as MKR was, then forget it.

8 Smythe { 04.30.14 at 12:52 pm }

Going to give MC a try, too, but may give up on it if it turns out to be more BS. After only watching 2-3 episodes I’ve given up on other “reality” shows this year including “The Amazing Race” and “Survivor”.

9 daisy { 04.30.14 at 1:19 pm }

Smythe, loved, loved, loved OB. I keep thinking it will run out of momentum and have no where to go but it keeps delivering.
Alison is my favourite because she is the most like me, except that I have only WANTED to murder a neighbour.

10 brain dead dave { 04.30.14 at 1:20 pm }

Gary’s a serial knife licker, too. Jowl$y’s the only judge with a hint of manners.

Bree was making a pathetic pitch for some tourism promoting on $unrise this morning. Embarrassing.

11 Littlepetal { 04.30.14 at 1:24 pm }

Bree is the one talking and appearing in public. Jess nowhere to be seen. I rather listen to Jess than Bree.

12 Sandii { 04.30.14 at 1:29 pm }

Bree is very dominant. I dont think we hardly hear Jess speak at all last night. I missed seeing Chloe with her son and boyfriend. Was she affectionate to them. I see the mums cuddle their girls, but I dont know if Chloe did and I just missed it.

13 LB { 04.30.14 at 1:30 pm }

Thanks Lily @144! Love how Chloe & Kelly say that they copped flack for how they were portrayed. Actually, they said those things.
Would have been better and more redeeming for them to say, gee wish we didn’t say those things. Didn’t seem so bad at the time, but in hindsight it was a bit over the top.
Fat chance!

14 daisy { 04.30.14 at 1:37 pm }

CB@153. I have great fashion sense.
I would love to do you.

15 brain dead dave { 04.30.14 at 1:39 pm }

Yes Sandii, Chloe gave her son a bit of a peck during the contrived Brady Bunch section at the beginning of the show but I’m not buying any of the affected sincerity of any of those finalists last night.

Judy Moran said she loved her family, too.

16 lisa { 04.30.14 at 2:19 pm }

Where can I watch chloe and kellys reaction live when the lose? I missed ot and hear she gets the shots and walks out.

17 Sandii { 04.30.14 at 2:36 pm }

You would want to give them a bit more than an obligatory peck if you havent seen you son for ages. You would think you would give him a big squish.

18 daisy { 04.30.14 at 2:52 pm }

Sandii, I dropped into my daughter’s work with some pasta for her and gave her a hug and a kiss and all the other staff said, Aaaaaw, Iwish my mum would do that”.
I was very proud of her too. She’s 38. They are never too old to get spoiled.

19 daisy { 04.30.14 at 2:53 pm }

Don’t take me literally on the spoiling. I mean loved.
I don’t raise brats.

20 Bolders { 04.30.14 at 3:21 pm }

They behave like brats for weeks and over articulate their stupid gobs and they have the nerve to complain about perception and feedback.

What did they expect – a clap and a cheer?

21 Kim { 05.01.14 at 5:14 pm }

A bit late to the party but I got really irritated every single time Bree and Jessica said they were doing it so their families could have “better lives”. Yes, 250K will improve anybody’s life, I just hate the way they implied that their family was not provided for enough.
Also how they kept saying they had to win “so our daughters will be proud of us”… Oh sorry, didn’t realise they would be ashamed if you came a paltry second.
At least C&K were somewhat honest and only mentioned winning for the money (maybe mentioning “dreams” once or twice)

22 mobile games { 06.28.14 at 11:57 pm }

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say
that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you
write again very soon!