So You Think You Can Dance Australia – And The Winner Is…..

SYTYCDA Winner, Michael Dameski 2

Michael Dameski has won the latest series of So You Think You Can Dance Australia. The 18 year old from Yagoona, Sydney wins $100,000. He also has a choice of one of three dance career opportunities including an international season with  Burn The Floor created and choreographed by SYTYCD judge Jason Gilkison or being in a contemporary ballet Body Torque with the Australian Ballet. There was also an opportunity to do some classes with a contemporary dance company from Berlin.

Lauren Seymour was also in the final two with Jay and Renelle the first two eliminated.

At the beginning of the show before voting closed Lauren and Michael were lucky enough to do a contemporary dance whilst Renelle and Jay had a ballroom routine. Later the girls danced together as did the guys.

One of the highlights of the finale was judge Aaron Cash tap dancing for the first time in 19 years with his Tap Dog dance mates. They looked like they were having a lot of fun.

There was also a group dance to a medley of Paula Abdul’s greatest hits and she looks like she has not aged a bit. A special mention should go to the tutu like dress she was wearing. Also Paula Abdul in the Daily Telegraph gave Kylie Minogue a tickle up about not paying dances for her video

The finale was entertaining and very high end television. Will it come back next year? Highly unlikely which is a pity but the viewers were not there.

1 Carolyn Williams { 05.01.14 at 11:18 pm }

Loved it! Cannot understand why not enough viewers.

2 Suzanna { 05.02.14 at 12:08 am }

It was fantastic great show , great to see so many young talents loved it , cannot understand why people didn’t tune into it . It’s a great shame if it doesn’t come back.Paula was fantastic as was the other guy’s , great job judges. Young ones can learn from these talented ones go for your dreams ,go go go never give up !

3 Eliza { 05.02.14 at 12:56 am }

I really enjoyed this show, too and will be disappointed if it isn’t back. They did a good job with all of the casting, IMO.

Michael was a deserving winner even though I liked the other 3 better as ‘favourite’ dancer (my 3 favs most of the way through). He was the most talented and his final individual dance was crazy good!

What was with Jason Derulo’s (always imagine singing his name now thanks the Carrie) performance though? Horrible!

4 Kat { 05.02.14 at 6:29 am }

Michael was exceptional and so far above the rest of the competition, a very deserving winner. I loved watching him dance every single time.

It is a shame it didnt get the numbers but Channel 10 need to wise up about how they position their shows against the other networks, they basically wrote themselves a death knell by putting this up against MKR & the Block at the beginning. I really hope they give it another season and position it better against the competition so it stands a chance.

5 Nikki { 05.02.14 at 6:51 am }

If they want viewers then put it on earlier, like at 6:30. Then the kids can watch it. My 6 year old would have loved to have watched this but she has to go to bed.

6 kjmorse { 05.02.14 at 7:38 am }

I loved the show last night…

Knew it would be Michael & Lauren in the final- am disappointed that they didn’t have a girl & boy winner like in the US.

Paula should have worn leggings under her dress- cause at 1 stage you could see straight up & under it.

Wish it would come back for another season- never knew what I was missing when I didn’t watch previous seasons.

7 Shellbot { 05.02.14 at 10:20 am }

Such a good finale and deserving winner! I believe Michael has chosen to tour with Burn the Floor, probably because it will be overseas in US and Europe and he hopes to do acting and singing and make connections etc.

8 Emilia { 05.02.14 at 4:20 pm }

Love, love, love this program and I also would love it to be at a family friendly time. Both my 6 year old twin boys love watching it with me and they have asked to start doing hip hop. Great show, great inspiration for young children.

9 Misaki anzu { 05.13.14 at 1:21 pm }

Loved the show so so much more than “Dancing with a star”.
i do not understand that there were not enough viewers to watch the amazing such an entertaining show.
the show should starts earlier for kids to watch!!

10 len brown { 05.26.14 at 11:24 am }

The show was fantastic. Someone commented that it was badly programmed up against MKR’s & The Block. I don’t know anyone who watches either of those programs & think they are not worth watching anyway. It’s not quite as good as the US version, but the dancers are almost as god if not better. I sure hope it comes back next year or there will be nothing worth watching on TV at all.