Reality Tidbits – Friday Evening

Here is an interesting interview with Executive Producer of Masterchef Australia, Margie Bashfield, she must be very organised and very tired. (Source: Pop Sugar)

Kylie Kwong has also been interviewed by The Age and she talks about her mentoring role on Masterchef Australia. She said she nurtures the contestants. Now nurturing is good but why is it always the female that does the nurturing. Thankfully she does other stuff as well. (Source: The Age)

Tahan’s career after  Big Brother appears to be going well she hosted a jelly wrestling competition in Ballarat this week. (Source: The Courier)

For those who like reality TV auditions News.com.au have listed six great ones including of course Susan Boyle. (Source: News.com.au)

Former Big Brother Australia housemates give their tips on the audition process. (Source: Big Brother)

Gina Liano has said she won’t be back on Season two of Real Housewives of Melbourne unless Andrea is gone. Though she admits she would like her own reality show. (Source: Daily Mail)

Andrea from Real Housewives is not a happy camper either as she says she is having to shelve her parenting book due to it being trashed on the show. (Source: Daily Mail)

No wonder Pete Evans might be deciding to give My Kitchen Rules the flick his show oin the US A Moveable Feast With Fine Dining (yes it is paleo) has been nominated for a day time Emmy. So a Logie and an Emmy in the same year now THAT must be a world first. (Source: WA Today)

Simon Cowell is cooking up another reality show this time it is the ultimate DJ competition. (Source: In The Mix)

Very interesting article by a Laura Zalaznick who commissioned Project Runway for Bravo. She talks about the strategies used to turn it from a failure to a hit. (Source: Linked In)

1 Georgie { 05.03.14 at 9:38 am }

It’s great to put a name and face to the person responsible for all the parts of MC that most viewers complain about. Some of these statements are classic and ironic at the same time. Anyway, now I can direct my criticisms of the show’s production, straight to the source. Bashfield bashing! 👿

“MB: I think one of the best things about being a producer is coming up with a basic idea of a challenge and then watching it develop until it makes sense, is filmed and edited, and works in the show.”

Georgie: Well what happened last year Margie?

“MB: I love seeing our onscreen talent being congratulated as it’s the best accolade I can receive as a producer. It’s a producer’s job to make sure the on screen talent look good — if they look good then I’ve done my job.”

Georgie: I wouldn’t have thought to blame you for the 3 Stooges Margie?

“MB: The biggest challenge for reality formats is avoiding the temptation to change for the sake of “keeping things fresh.” By changing too much, programs face the danger of alienating their audience from what drew them to the show in the first place.”

Georgie: Well hello – what happened last year Margie?

“Going into Series 6 we are remaining true to the core values of MasterChef, we have the best group of home cooks we’ve ever had and we are celebrating our classic challenges like the Mystery Box and Invention Test.”

Georgie: ‘Remaining true’ Margie? Surely after last year, you mean ‘returning to’.

“PS: How do you unwind at the end of a work day?
MB: I come home to a Golden Retriever who doesn’t care what’s happened in my day. He just wants to play and be cuddled. . . It’s a great reality check!”

Georgie: I’ll say…

2 brain dead dave { 05.03.14 at 9:51 am }

” It’s a producer’s job to make sure the on screen talent look good — if they look good then I’ve done my job.”

Then you’d rather they look good than be good ,Margie. A lot of viewers know you can only polish a turd so much.

Emma Dean and Andy are nothing to be crowing about as “talent”.

Nice work, Georgie.

3 Georgie { 05.03.14 at 9:52 am }

A jelly wrestling competition in Ballarat hey – Tahan has made it!

4 brain dead dave { 05.03.14 at 9:59 am }

Tahan’s a role model for young women everywhere with the consciousness raising jelly wrestling initiative. A major leap forward from “demeaning” wet T shirt competitions.

5 Georgie { 05.03.14 at 10:01 am }

Good morgan bdd. My reality check this morning was having breakfast with Alice Cooper. 😎

Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with a bit of jelly wrestling. I’m sure it’s good exercise and no harm done if you accidentally swallow a mouthful.

6 Georgie { 05.03.14 at 10:09 am }

I saw a wet t-shirt leveller once – a wet stubbies competition. The girls got to use a water sprayer to do the wetting themselves too.

7 Georgie { 05.03.14 at 10:32 am }

Thanks bdd #2 – I’d missed your edit.

8 daisy { 05.03.14 at 10:56 am }

RR, may assume your tongue was in your cheek re: Tahan and the Jelly role.

I didn’t think Tahan had sufficient ‘jelly’ for this gig.
Good luck to Tahan.

9 Lydal { 05.03.14 at 12:10 pm }

Pete Evans has confirmed (via his Facebook page) that he’s coming back next year to MKR and also he’ll have another cooking show on 7 based on the Paleo diet he’s following. https://www.facebook.com/peteevanschef

Not sure I agree with his views about how these cooking programs influence/have an impact onto the next generations tho.

10 Maz { 05.03.14 at 8:21 pm }

Agree Georgie & BDD-“…It’s a producer’s job to make sure the on screen talent look good — if they look good then I’ve done my job.” Is the best line in that interview.
I guess we are to assume that the production values are the best ever not the contestants.

11 daisy for zhee { 05.03.14 at 10:48 pm }

Here’s what you were missing in Thailand guys. Emma you can look fd to it.

We didn’t get the eclipse but………

Zhee, are you there? He was ein Deutsch Grossvater. Is this what they usually wear.

Woolif said please let it be known…it is not him.

12 Littlepetal { 05.03.14 at 11:15 pm }

daisy, I hope you rinsed your eyes with some holy water!!

13 daisy { 05.03.14 at 11:25 pm }

Littlepetal, first I said, “Quick Woolif, get your camera”.

It actually looked much worse on real life. Or should I say “wurst” (German sausage).

14 Smythe { 05.04.14 at 1:04 am }

Daisy, #11 I’m glad I missed that, but since you shared the photo I guess I didn’t miss it. Wished I had. :-)

15 daisy { 05.04.14 at 2:02 am }

Hey Smythe, I watched the 1st two eps of Fargo and enjoyed them.

Is that wrong?????

16 Smythe { 05.04.14 at 5:45 am }

Wrong??….if you liked it then it’s right for you. :-)

17 daisy { 05.04.14 at 9:29 am }

Zhee@11. Sorry I just remembered you only enjoyed light entertainment.

It was only meant to crack you up.

18 Littlepetal { 05.04.14 at 11:13 am }

Manu is doing another 2 episodes of My France with Manu. Pete also doing a cooking show for C7

19 Littlepetal { 05.04.14 at 11:37 am }

Oh no! There is drama on Masterchef! From Matt P- “There’s a person you never want to see leave your show who leave quite early on but you’ve got to trust the food gods and trust that everyone’s got a story and that these things happen for a reason. If you’ve done the worst dish, then they have to go – no question.

That show the integrity of our show.”

So it was the integrity of the show that Emma Dean won or Andy won the year before.

But I have to admit so far the promo focus on some delicious looking dish.

20 Ali { 05.04.14 at 11:49 am }

Found this in Readers Digest

“Great Dining Gripes

Has a recent meal out left a sour taste in your mouth? Take your reviews to the user feedback section of that restaurant-goer’s bible, Zagat:”

“What they lack in quality, they make up for with butter”

“The waiters are trained to bang into you”

“Only the flies on our table enjoyed the meal”

“[The chef’s] food tastes better on TV”

“Not what it used to be – and it did not use to be much”

“A guest at a Novotel in Australia complained that his soup was too thick. He was inadvertently slurping gravy.”

[I thought that could be Manu dining there, but the Novotel is too upmarket]

21 Ali { 05.04.14 at 12:21 pm }

RR, please fish my comment out of spam. Thanks