Masterchef Australia – The First Mystery Box And Invention Test

We already had one casualty before the top 24 even kicked off. It Cecilia  Vuong who was out due to medical advice related to her head injury. Gary confidently told the contestants that she could come back next year. Lucky for him the ratings are looking like this will indeed be the case.

They replaced her with Georgia the 18 year old who is friends with Laura the other 18 year old. Being ageist I was thinking how can these young whipper snappers have the food knowledge to compete in the long term of the competition. It should be noted Laura  well and trully proved me wrong later in the episode.

Masterchef Australia is indeed going back to old school and kicked it off with a Mystery Box. The ingredients were selected by the five previous winners of the show and were here to watch them cook it. There was white chocolate, guava, lemons, rhubarb and hazelnuts. They had 60 minutes to cook and had to use at least one ingredient. Only five of the dishes would get picked to be tasted by the former winners.  Andy Allen looking down from the balcony said “It is amazing everyone is capable with pastry, my first challenge I could not boil an egg”. This year it does appear they have selected people with a higher level of cooking skills.

Laura was making a Hazelnut Ganache Tart but after sliciing her finger off in the blender had to change that to curd with some crumbs.

Tash was making lemon tart with guava sorbet and Julie Goodwin picked hers to taste. She thought the tart was perfect but did not like the taste of the sorbet.

Ben showed bad technique when chopping a hazelnut and sliced himself. But this gave the producers the opportunity to go over his “compelling back story”.  Twelve years ago he had cancer and he said it made him realise you need to do what you love doing. So 12 years later he is on Masterchef after he became an IT consultant. But more screen time of him is a positive thing. Adam picked his to taste but his Rhubarb was over cooked in his Roasted Rhubarb and Candied Hazelnuts with White Chocolate Ganache. George said “Sings modern, sings now”.

Andy picked Georgia because she is cute. She madeLemon Cake with Roasted Rhubarb with White chocolate ball stuffed with Guava mousse. She noted the ball was inspired by George’s Lemon, Lime and Bitters dessert seen the previous episode.  Andy said as a dish he thought  the dish was very close. Whatever that means.

Kate Brack’s selected Sara who made a White Chocolate and Hazelnut Nougat. Kate said she loved the flavours. Whilste Emma had been salivating over Nick’s Salty Hazelnut Crumb with Lemon Curd and White Chocolate Mousse. Nick is lovely and he revealed he has lost 50 kilos in the past year. For the record probably more then most contestants lose on The Biggest Loser in 12 months, however you get the feeling he would have been better suited to Bake Off.

After the show flagging Nick was the winner for the past 15 minutes it was officially announced.

Nick then got to choose the invention test. This time it was based on themes, ‘the past’, ‘the present’, or ‘the future’. He chose the past but it basically meant anyone could pick what they wanted to cook.

They had 90 minutes and  were told only three would be safe the other 21 would go through to elimination. Amy was in tears after her burning her Beef Curry as she did not want to go through to the elimination. Sam and Scott did not even get anything on the plate. Which was a pity for Sam as her prawn ravioli looked fabulous. Is this the year of the hot girlfriend. First Byron’s and now Sam’s wife. She was smokin’ as well.

By the way where was Byron this episode?

Laura showed she has strong technique making Silverbeet and Goats Cheese Agonlotti with Artichoke Pesto. She was top three as was Sean who made a sophisticated take on meat and three vegetables. Also Jamie the hipster bartender who keeps on saying he is here for his family made a Smoked Salmon with Pumpking and Carrot Puree. George loved how it looked on the plate as well as the flavour.

For a first challenge under pressure most dishes looked pretty damn good.

1 Reality Raver { 05.08.14 at 9:15 pm }

I am interviewing the eliminated contestant tomorrow so if you have any questions let me know.

2 Littlepetal { 05.08.14 at 9:16 pm }

No, if it had been Byron he will be safe.

3 Littlepetal { 05.08.14 at 9:17 pm }

RR, please ask Brendon if Byron the protected species

4 LW { 05.08.14 at 9:19 pm }

I loved Matt Preston wanting the dumplings to look ‘pregnant’ and, well, more Preston-esque…

5 daisy { 05.08.14 at 9:35 pm }

I think Troy Buswell crashed his car because he was trying to sniff the clutch.

6 Sandii { 05.08.14 at 9:42 pm }

What is the reasoning behind not eating pink pork as opposed to beef dripping with blood. This is an honest question I want to know?

7 Andrea { 05.08.14 at 9:53 pm }

I was thinking the same thing Sandii. I could only eat all meats well done.
Deepali should stay a dentist, they make a very good living judging what a dentist’s visit costs these days.

8 Maz { 05.08.14 at 9:56 pm }

I think Deepali (and Lord Bryon) are protected species. The judges were dropping hints to her that they were not extending to Brendan.

Sandii@ I think it has something to do with the bacteria levels in the various proteins.

9 LW { 05.08.14 at 10:04 pm }

Sandii, apparently pork and chicken are more likely to be infected with salmonella. And Google ‘trichinosis’, eeeew.

10 Littlepetal { 05.08.14 at 10:09 pm }

Depali and her husband run their own dental clinic.

11 Sandii { 05.08.14 at 10:17 pm }

Thanks everyone I have been googling. It says there is more risk in pork, chicken and bear (say what?) but there is still a risk in eating beef rare, especially if it has been tenderized with regards to bacteria.

12 Evan { 05.08.14 at 10:22 pm }

Yes, Byron is obviously George’s favourite guy this year, but I kinda like young Byron, so I hope he is around for a few more weeks at least.
Nick obviously cooked a good fried rice, but why didn’t we get to see any of it?
Poor Brendan, we barely got introduced to him and he is gone already. He is one contestant I would have liked to stay on Masterchef a little longer.
And contestants in pressure tests getting help from the “peanut gallery” up on the balcony should be banned.

13 Evan { 05.08.14 at 10:24 pm }

Depali is obviously popular in the Masterchef House, she was getting way more help than Brendan

14 Littlepetal { 05.08.14 at 10:34 pm }

Yes, why didn’t the people in the peanut gallery tell Brendan that the pork is undercook?

15 Sandii { 05.08.14 at 10:36 pm }

I thought Brendan’s rice was presented the best out of each plate. I would have liked him to stay.

16 Littlepetal { 05.08.14 at 10:44 pm }

Ha ha ha. On the Masterchef website, they called Byron’s fried rice; Westerner’s Vegetarian Fried Rice!!!! And he put in rice wine vinegar in the fried rice!!! He is producers pet

17 Evan { 05.08.14 at 10:47 pm }

I still don’t know who half of the Top 23(as it is now) are. There was some guy briefly featured tonight, who is a complete unknown to me.
They haven’t done a great job so far giving us the bios or background videos for ALL of the contestants, as others have said, it is pretty much the Byron/Nick/Depali/Georgia/Laura show.

18 Jaycee47 { 05.08.14 at 11:20 pm }

I agree with all re Byron….how can someone forget to put prawns on the plate and still get through….but even more surprising is that a Chinese guy cannot get through on flied lice…..FFS!!!

19 brain dead dave { 05.09.14 at 12:29 am }

Hi Zen @ 40. To answer your question, no, I’ve never been out of Australia or to a 3 star Michelin restaurant like Horse Head and Jaws have.

All hail, Lord Byron
Who would be Thane of the Ma$terchef Kitchin.

20 emp { 05.09.14 at 12:33 am }

No backstory brendan, see ya later.

byron, sheds a few tears and they let him through.

21 annajjj { 05.09.14 at 6:17 am }

Was it really that raw? It looked a bit pink to me but not raw, having said that I probably wouldn’t have eaten it either. On MKR that dish would have scored a 10. One man’s raw pork is another manu’s ‘cooked to perfection.’

22 Fijane { 05.09.14 at 8:12 am }

One of the unknowns is called Colin. I noticed him because he was one of the standouts in the audition, they raved about his dish. But no backstory, nothing seen of him until last night when he was one of the ones put through on the fried rice. He is silver-haired with a little bit of hair on the lower lip. He looks to me like one of the stayers – flying under the radar for a long time.

23 Littlepetal { 05.09.14 at 8:15 am }

F lon is the 51 yrs old winemaker. We haven’t see much of Tracy either, the Hairdresser