Masterchef Australia – The First Elimination

It was elimination night with 21 of the contestants in the firing line having to cook one of Australia’s most popular cuisines Chinese.

Kylie Kwong was in there as a judge and it was great to see Asian cuisine at the forefront of a Masterchef challenge so early in the series.

Ironically it tripped up one of the Malay/Chinese contestants Steven. The first challenge was to make Chinese Fried Rice with twelve of the contestants to be made safe. Steven decided to put in prosciutto which Kylie bluntly said “It’s Italian” and also he overdosed it with white pepper. If another contestant had been shadowing him in the pantry to see what he had picked up they would have come a cropper.

Nicole the inflight manager from WA was having a fan moment with Kylie Kwong but was getting worried when Kylie queried her using in Gai Lan in her dish. After tasting it Kylie liked it and Nicole was safe.

Deepali who looks like her time will be short in the competition burnt her onions and looked like she had never cooked with a wok.  But at least she was honest and admitted to the judges she had not done a good job.

Brendan who is a bass player in a band was having issues with cooking Asian, apparently his specialty is dude food.  His motto was when in doubt put a lot of chilli in there.

Hipster Jamie who is mega intense was coaching Byron from the balcony. With five minutes before the end of the challenge he had to ditch his rice start again.  In his rush Byron forgot to put his prawns in  which might have been a positive thing as the poop chute looked like they were still in there.

Tash the food blogger from Canberra razzled out the best dish and was the first to be made safe. The biggest surprise was the Byron was safe as well even after being told they would have liked a bit more saltiness. Maybe the tearing up at the judging helped get him through.

There were nine of then left in round two which was to identify Chinese ingredients and the first three to get an ingredient wrong would have to cook off in the last round.  The strategy appeared to be to pick the easy ones first. Which begged the question why were the lychees there for so long? Deepali was the first to cook  in the final round as she could not identify what type of tofu she picked up. It was silken. Rachael said fish paste instead of shrimp paste and Brendan picked up a sauce and thought it was hoison but in fact it was char siew sauce. To be fair to him most of them would have said the same thing.

The final challenge was to cook a Chinese dish from the ingredients from the identification test. Rachael grabbed the crab and handled it with skill. I am really liking her. No nonsense with some good cooking skills and I am also buying into the back story of being an army wife and finally doing something for herself.  She was easily safe after cooking an amazing looking Szechuan Pepper and Coriander Crab with Chinese Broccoli.

It was the other two that struggled.

Deepali decided make dumplings but she needed a lot of  help. Kylie came around and told her she should not put pork fillet in it as it does not have enough fat. She asked the judges what protein she should use and George quite rightly cracked her off saying how much advice do you want? He also told her not to listen to peanut gallery. But she did and ran off to grab the duck. She took the brief of pot stickers seriously as they were literally stuck to the bottom of the pot.

When the judges tasted them there was hardly any filling inside, however apparently there was flavour there.

Lucky for her Brendan dished up undercooked pork  and the issue was he thought it was cooked correctly. Kylie Kwong refused to eat it and it was no surprise he was sent packing. He can be found selling dude food out of his van at markets in Brisbane.

1 Littlepetal { 05.11.14 at 4:31 pm }

daisy, you must be running out of lollies. Most of us are in the naughty corner.

2 daisy { 05.11.14 at 4:32 pm }

Thanks Rosie. I will bring lamb cooked in ale.

I want to make those lemon, lime and bitters things from MC one day. Lavender has a thermo mix which we can borrow. So we will just need the moulds and the shaker thingies.
We have decided for the sake of cupboard space to share big appliances. We might get the pasta machine. We bought Lotus the ice-cream maker.

3 daisy { 05.11.14 at 4:34 pm }

I’m busting out the chocolate frogs, lindt and ferrero roche Littlepetal.
The naughty corner is the place to be.

4 daisy { 05.11.14 at 4:36 pm }

I’m saving the coconut rough for BDD.
No sightings today.
I hope he isn’t at the principals office.

5 Littlepetal { 05.11.14 at 4:42 pm }

Yes. Where is BDD. Didnt hear from him for 2 days. I hope the principal is not mean to him.

I like the dark Lindt chocolate. Back to the naughty corner.

6 Rosie { 05.11.14 at 4:44 pm }

Ooh, ooh, that reminds me, I can contribute a whole bunch of Ferrero Rochers. Gotta great big box of them sitting in the fridge twiddling their thumbs. I can’t eat nuts and MrR doesn’t eat milk chocolate, so have at them!
One of these days we’re going to have actually give them to somebody or (sob) throw them out

7 daisy { 05.11.14 at 4:47 pm }

I hope he hasn’t been ‘suspendered’.
Maybe just wagging it with Georgie and CB. Swigging cheap asti spumante behind the bike shed.

8 daisy { 05.11.14 at 4:48 pm }

Rosie, I would polish those FR off in no time.

9 Littlepetal { 05.11.14 at 4:51 pm }

Give it away, Rosie. Dont throw it away

10 daisy { 05.11.14 at 5:01 pm }

Thanks for a fun mothers, day everyone. Now I am going to go cook something. Apple and rhubarb pie or something to take with lasagne to Lotus’s house.
Mother’s day theme so the lasagne is one that W cooked and froze.

11 Rosie { 05.11.14 at 5:29 pm }

Yeah, that’s the plan, LP. Throwing away perfectly good chocolate is a wicked crime in my book.

Have fun tonight, Daisy!

And thanks for the chatter, all.

And MT, if we haven’t chased you away, we’re not deliberately trying to be mean. We just have a bit of fun and let off steam now and then, that’s all. So if you want to join us, you’ll have to accept that we don’t always stay on track. Especially when the programme isn’t on. Anyway, welcome.

12 daisy { 05.11.14 at 5:36 pm }

Aaaw. That was a nice finale, Rosie.

Yeah MT. Join us, but take us as we are. A mixed bag of nuts and a few sweet sultanas.

13 daisy { 05.11.14 at 5:40 pm }

BTW: Listening to Lady Madonna. Lady Madonna, baby at your breast,
wonder how you manage to feed the rest.

14 all happening { 05.11.14 at 5:47 pm }

We will save some lollies for you MT if you want to join us in the naughty corner at any time.

15 daisy { 05.11.14 at 6:05 pm }

You can have first pick.

16 Sandii { 05.11.14 at 6:25 pm }

We are pretty nice, in my opinion! In fact, I think we are awesome!

17 daisy { 05.11.14 at 6:39 pm }

Yeah, and just think of all the fun we wouldn’t have had today if it wasn’t for the naughty corner.
It might have been just another boring weekend on RR.
Next time let’s get detention.

18 brain dead dave { 05.11.14 at 6:56 pm }

The timeslots are interesting tonight. I’m going to try and watch House Rules into Ma$terchef and a bit of the lost Charlotte Dawson interview.

Ch7 are doing encores of encores of House Rules.

I did make a brief comment on Eurovision blog last night, Littlepetal and yes Rosie , it’s “issuing” according to RR’s spellchecker.(that little ABC icon on top of the comment box)

19 Littlepetal { 05.11.14 at 6:59 pm }

Glad to know that you were not at the principal’s office, BDD

20 Georgie { 05.11.14 at 7:33 pm }

Lol daisy #107 – you weren’t that far off the mark. I wasn’t behind the shed drinking cheap Asti – but after a busy MD, I was IN the shed drinking not cheap Bailey’s and playing darts.

Welcome MT and consider yourself inititated.

21 Georgie { 05.11.14 at 7:46 pm }

That would be ‘initiated’ btw. Also, you gice are incorrigible! 😛

22 Sandii { 05.11.14 at 8:35 pm }

What bullshit, giving Byron a special mention for his poxy upside down cake. I made one similar in primary school. I would have liked to see them try the winged sausage

23 Jane { 05.11.14 at 8:37 pm }

IKR sandi! My local bakery has cakes that look 10x better than that!

24 emp { 05.11.14 at 8:47 pm }

byron’s churros/eggs dont look tasty at all

25 all happening { 05.11.14 at 8:59 pm }

Ch10 did the usual and showed who was in the elimination early in the show. Byron sure is the anointed one this series. Those crumpets looked foul mush.

26 Littlepetal { 05.11.14 at 9:05 pm }

Not only that. The FB is pimping Byron to death. A photo of Byron in black apron and you can see who were in the elimination challenge and some are in tomorrow night pressure test. They don’t give a damn is they are spoiling the show for others.

27 Zhee { 05.11.14 at 9:07 pm }

Mhmm, Ferrero Rocher… They are horribly expensive in France. -.- A bit cheaper in Germany and we also have Ferrero Küsschen over here. Don’t know if they are sold in Australia as well (they don’t in France, so it seems to be a German thing). But still, Nutella is their yummiest product. :)
And oh, I think I am the guiltiest of all as I started a off topic discussion. *le sigh* I feel so bad now, especially because I spoiled the ESC thread. I should got to the principals office!

28 Littlepetal { 05.11.14 at 9:10 pm }

Zhee, you are a bit late. We have finished the lollies and the chocolate.

29 Zhee { 05.11.14 at 9:18 pm }

Duh, I should stop sleeping and never clean up the kitchen and living room again. 😛 How’s MC at the moment? I have to wait until 8pm usually until I can watch the videos online. 😉

30 Sandii { 05.11.14 at 9:19 pm }

Zhee, my daughter has a recipe for a confection that tastes just like a Ferrero Rocher…mmm yum

31 Sandii { 05.11.14 at 9:20 pm }

Byron again, no fucking way….. Oops pardon my French!

32 Rosie { 05.11.14 at 9:37 pm }

Oh we speak French – with thanks to Deadwood. 😉

33 Cara { 05.11.14 at 10:39 pm }

There were no lychees.
They were longans.

34 Reality Raver { 05.11.14 at 10:54 pm }

Cara – I saw the longans but also thought I saw some lychees in a small bowl near the edge of the table

35 Evan { 05.11.14 at 11:46 pm }

There was no real need to watch the rest of the episode tonight after Channel 10 gave away the identities of the 4 worst contestants in the promo for the Monday night Pressure Test Episode – epic fail from their programmers.
I guess I am the only person here who doesn’t hate Byron, actually I kinda like the lad. I think he actually can cook – do you really think that the MC judges would be faking liking his food?
Funnily enough, Nick is irritating me far more. Can he cook anything else other than desserts or sweet things? Tomorrow night will be a test for him.
There are still some contestants left on MC that I have no idea about, Brent for one, and some guy with a beard(not Ben, someone else).

36 Eliza { 05.12.14 at 12:23 am }

Oops, I forgot that MC was on tonight. I find I can’t really connect with the contestants until the top 12.. then I can really appreciate their tragic back stories… As long as Byron makes it until then to maintain my interest.

37 daisy { 05.12.14 at 12:25 am }

Home again. Damn I missed MC and will have to wait for replay.
Rosie your Ooo ooo @106 reminds me of the cop in “Car 54 where are You”. Remember that?

Evan I have missed a lot of MC but I liked what I saw of Byron. He is kind of pretty too.

38 Evan { 05.12.14 at 12:28 am }

I assume the carpenter guy gets eliminated next – Scott

39 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 12:30 am }

Nick can be safe with pressure test as there is a recipe.

If only they can have an elimination challenge where the recipe is missing out some details and contestants must use their skills to follow through, like the Australian bake off.

Using vinegar in his fried rice has make me lose confidence in Byron.

We still haven’t seen much of Brent, Colin or Tracy.

Guy with a beard can be Sean, he got the best dish the other night.

40 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 12:32 am }

My guess is Depali or Jamie will be eliminated tomorrow.

41 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 12:49 am }

No lychee but looked like salted plums in the bowl. Also big fail to Kylie Kwong. Chinese cooking don’t use shrimp paste that is in a block as shown. That is belachan. Chinese shrimp paste doesn’t come in a block and is more orangy in colour.

42 Rosie { 05.12.14 at 12:52 am }

Evan, I’m with you, I quite like Byron and Nick irritates the shit out of me. Although evedy time I see him I do applaud him for dropping that 50 kilos. Although I’d be delighted to see him go tomorrow (today?), I’m pretty surethat he’ll stay, and it will be either the dentist whose name I can’t remember because I should be in bed, or one of those blokes of whose names I have no idea.

Deepali is the dentist. I just remembered (and LP said it above ;)).

Daisy, you must be damn near as old as me if you remember Car 54 (and yes, I do) and I am ANCIENT!

43 LW { 05.12.14 at 1:54 am }

Here’s a link to Sarah’s previous life as a model:

44 daisy { 05.12.14 at 2:24 am }

A precious relic, Rosie.
I remember My Mother the Car, The Dick van Dyke Show.
Oh and shall I go back further? Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, My Three Sons. I had my first crush on Davey Jones in the Monkees.

45 Zhee { 05.12.14 at 6:12 am }

LW, pretty pictures but then again, Sarah is really beautiful and stunning. But I hate it when women can’t close their mouths. I know most of them open their mouths so it looks more sexy but I think it’s giving them a rather dumb look. :/

46 Sandii { 05.12.14 at 6:53 am }

I will admit Byron is cute but I thought it was so over the top the way they went on about his churros, they made it so obvious that they would try them. When I saw Nick was going to do sweets again I thought, uh oh! He is a goner. The Scotch egg looked amazing as did the dish the blonde girl with the green drink made.

47 Sandii { 05.12.14 at 6:58 am }

Jane @106 . What does IKR stand for

48 Smythe { 05.12.14 at 7:16 am }

The judges salivating over Byron’s dish (a Westerner style breakfast)…LOL. Was not impressed by that dish but was impressed by Sarah and the one who made the green drink.

Deepali needs to go back to dentistry.

Nick’s french toast looked beyond horrible.

I think that some of the contestants only have a very small number of good dishes they can cook.

49 Evan { 05.12.14 at 9:37 am }

Yes, there are a few blokes on the show with beards, I guess I keep getting Jamie confused with Sean.
Brent – they have barely shown any of him yet, ditto for another of the male contestants(whose name escapes me)
Be resigned to the fact that Byron is their Hayden or Lynton or Andy Allen for this year, assuming he makes it past the Top 15.
Out of the girls, I reckon Georgia will go a long way, so will her buddy Laura, and Renae too. Kira is another one who looks good

50 Evan { 05.12.14 at 9:38 am }

And the lady from the NT who cooked the dish the other day that Kylie Kwong is putting on her menu in her own restaurant