Tully Reveals Life After Big Brother Has Not Been All Unicorns And Rainbows

It appears that life post Big Brother has not been all unicorns and rainbows for Tully Smyth. Tully who was responding to the article where Kelly from My Kitchen Rules was saying she was broke and bullied wrote about her own experience on her blog.

There does need to be proper psychological support for reality TV contestants particularly once the show is airing. Tully and Kelly both have in common that for their particular series they were the villains and have felt the ire of the reality TV audience.

However you also get the feeling that these two expectations of what would happen to them post their reality show has not occurred. Even thought Tully is being supportive of Kelly she does say she thinks it is a bit rich that she blames editing. What she does talk about is when the reality TV bubble bursts post show.

Her post is honest and well written and she does seem to own her behaviour.

Tully wrote about her experience on her blog and it was spotted by news.com.au.

The article on news.com.au states:

Former Big Brother housemate Tully Smyth has revealed the heartbreaking effects of life post-reality television, describing the “lack of psychological support” six months after appearing on last year’s hit reality TV show.

In a blog post responding to My Kitchen Rules contestant Kelly’s revelations that she was broke, bullied and hospitalisedafter her stint on the show this year, Smyth opened up about “just how f***ing tough it is after the bubble bursts” on her blog,Young Blood Social.

Smyth revealed she asked the production company behind Big Brother to cover the costs of a psychologist of her choosing, which, she says, the Nine network were more than happy to provide.

She described how she “struggled to slip back” into her old life after the series, which saw Big Brother villain Tim Dormer take out the prize in November last year.

The controversial housemate was eliminated from the reality show after scoring a dismal 17 per cent of votes to save against finalist Tahan (with 34 per cent) and Suger Sister’s Katie and Lucy (49 per cent).

“You have to move back into your parents’, live off your mother’s superannuation or borrow rent off younger siblings,” she wrote.

“We’re human. We’re people. We have feelings and insecurities. We make mistakes — just like you.”

Smyth revealed she had an “initial chat” with a psychologist immediately after she was evicted from the Big Brother house and the service was available “whenever you want”, but she expressed concerns that “you’re not exactly sure how open and honest you feel you can be with someone so closely affiliated with the program”.

But she took responsibility for her outrageous antics on the show, where she was criticised by the Australian public for cheating on girlfriend Tahlia Farrant with castmate Anthony Drew while the cameras were rolling.

Tully’s foray into heterosexuality, along with her constant stream of tears, triggered bitter social media backlash, with viewers calling for “cheating Tully” to be evicted.

Tully was none the wiser once she was evicted that her on-screen fling with Drew had led to her being dumped by Tahlia on Twitter.

“Despite the print and social media sh*t storm that I was greeted with upon leaving the house, and the continued online bullying and trolling that I am subjected to on a daily basis — I never once blamed the editing of the show or the producers,” she wrote.

“Did they force me to make the decisions I made in that house? No. Did they put words in my mouth? No. Did they put me in alien situations where I would act differently to what I perhaps would on the outside world? Yeah, of course.

“What did I expect? It’s a reality television program designed to entertain. I knew what I was risking, I knew what I was putting myself up for and I signed along the dotted line anyway”.

It is interesting that the comments on both her and Kelly’s articles have not elicited that much sympathy to the public.

1 Gidgitvonlarue { 05.10.14 at 1:52 am }

Urgh I’m SO over these fame whores whinging when they go on these shows, sign massive contracts, know what they are doing (no one forced them) then whinge when they were assholes on the show and then whoops – no one likes them! Immature children wanting to be famous but they are really not very likable people and are in denial – so they go on a reality show thinking they’ll be ‘famous’ after it and have a career in the media. Nope didn’t happen, so whinge, moan then fake some problem to try and get us all on their side.

Not working. Again no one forced you to be on these reality shows. Maybe people need to wake up and see they are not very likable and avoid putting themselves up for critique by social media.
I’m glad I went on my reality show before twitter existed! I don’t think I’d ever apply now. Rather be the commentator than fame whore.

2 daisy { 05.10.14 at 2:11 am }

What show were you on GVL?
And I am looking fd to this week’s Survivor recap. I hope you dish it up good to Cass and Tony.

In America they would call Cass a flip flop.

3 Isabelle { 05.10.14 at 2:18 am }

Good on you Tully

4 Izobel2 { 05.10.14 at 9:36 am }

We should have a ‘guess which show Gidget was on’ contest!
My top 3, Paradise Hotel, 60 Minute Makeover, and I’m a Celebrity Get me out of Here!

5 Ryan { 05.10.14 at 9:39 am }

Never thought I’d say this, but Tully makes a surprising amount of sense.

6 Georgie { 05.10.14 at 9:52 am }

Izobel2 #4 – my 3 guesses – Australian Idol, BB, AGT.

7 daisy { 05.10.14 at 9:54 am }

I’m guessing GVL is Tahan.
Oh no , that can’t be right because I have seen the family photos. Different genes.

Are you Carlos from BB? Or Brynn from Celebrity splash?

8 daisy { 05.10.14 at 9:56 am }

Bella, I like this game. We need a prize.

Ooo. Ooo. It might be Hot Seatt. I bet she didn’t say, “C is leaping our at me for some reason”.

9 daisy { 05.10.14 at 10:27 am }

I suppose Ben Norris and Michael the Ginger Cockroach must have REALLY treatment for their hate backlash. They are the still at the top of my worst ever list.

I have already forgotten Tully and moved on.

10 daisy { 05.10.14 at 10:45 am }

Did anyone see the ‘table fight’ on Sunrise this morning?

That could take off.

11 LB { 05.10.14 at 11:46 am }

If you actually read Tully’s full post & not the news.com.au article, she makes some excellent points. She takes full responsibility for her words and actions, but also explains what it is like from the contestants PoV.

I’m not a Tully fan, and didn’t watch BB last year, so am not clouded by any feelings towards her at all, just found it an interesting summation of 15 mins of fame via RTV

12 LB { 05.10.14 at 11:46 am }

Yep, Daisy – that under table kick was a cracker

13 all happening { 05.10.14 at 12:07 pm }

As much as I didn’t like Tully, she at least owned up for her behaviour and didn’t blame producers etc for putting words and actions in her mouth.
Yes Daisy I did see the table incident. Very poorly made table I would think!!!!

14 daisy { 05.10.14 at 1:02 pm }

I am really laughing out loud all happening…that you took that away from the clip.

Ikea.

15 daisy { 05.10.14 at 1:07 pm }

I think You tube should bust out the table fights…..
oldies with their folding card tables
picnickers with tables bolted in

Packer and Gyngell should have used a table.

16 brain dead dave { 05.10.14 at 1:21 pm }

A blackjack table.

I don’t know what this table thing is on $unrise, I missed it.

Poor Tully. That’s shrew business!

17 daisy { 05.10.14 at 1:44 pm }

Shrew Biz 😆

The table fight was funny. Kind of lame. A bit like two girls slapping. Probably best tried with ikea furniture.

18 Eliza { 05.11.14 at 2:41 am }

The funny thing about all this social media bullying is that, at the end of the day, correct me if I am wrong, but people would claim shows such as BB to be boring if there weren’t people doing stupid things to bitch about. I don’t tend to watch much BB, but would tend to think that without the drama, people would get bored??!!

It’s those like Tully, Tim and even Ben (I understand it was widely viewed that he engaged in bully behaviour) and Estelle from last year that create the controversy and most likely keep viewers intrigued as to what will they do/what will happen next. It’d be like a movie with no good guys or bad guys..

I’m not advocating Tully’s behaviour, more just a general thought on contestants that cop it most post these shows. Social media has definitely changed things a lot and although I don’t believe there will ever be a lack of people wanting to go on these shows for their 15 mins, I do think that the producers need to look after contestants after the show, as they need people for RTV to exist!

I will say that I do empathise with Tully as I don’t think that anyone deserves to be bullied in any way, even in the cases of the bullies. Doesn’t get anybody anywhere. She stuffed up big time, but people need to imagine a time that they stuffed up, then imagine doing it for the whole country to see. At least she is owning it.

19 daisy { 05.11.14 at 12:18 pm }

You’re not wrong, Eliza.

But oh, I could really have done without the horrible Ginger Cockroach, Ben Norris and the little group of puglies who thought they were the cool kids. They were so not cool.
On the other hand they showed up Estelle’s strength, like dark shows up light and a suntan shows up white teeth.

20 Carol (without the e) { 05.12.14 at 12:17 pm }

One phrase that struck fear into me when reading through that Tully story:

“live off your mother’s superannuation”

Knowing the Mother’s situation… does this bother anyone else?

I would think that would be the LAST thing you would rely on!

I know how hard it might be for her to get another job… but I also wonder how high her standards would be for a “Tully appropriate” job. Can’t see her waitressing… or cleaning.

I just hope the Mother’s financial affairs are transparent to the others in the family. I’ve seen some situations like this get quite nasty.