Masterchef Australia – The Mystery Box And Invention Test And Byron Continues To Shine!

The mystery about the mystery box was why the judges when they were only going to taste three dishes had decided that Bryon’s Upside Down Cake was in contention to be the third dish to be tasted.

Thankfully they went with Renae’s very technical chicken dish over a cake where the pineapple could barely be seen on the top of the cake. The level of difficulty was low. Also Colin would have been choking on his chicken wing sausages as well if that had occurred.

It was like the old days the Sunday night mystery box and as usual it had a weird mix of ingredients. There was cinnamon, pistachios, beetroot, thyme, yoghurt, liquorice, pineapple, and chicken. They had to use at least one of the ingredients and had 60 minutes to do it in.

Renae continued the Masterchef tradition of doing things that she had not done before. But during a mystery box is the time to do it in as you are not at risk of elimination. She decided to sous vide her cinnamon chicken which she was serving with a beetroot salad and pistachio cream. However she could not even work out how to turn it on. She asked Jamie how to put it on he responded by saying “The start button”. The judges thought her dish was nice.

Kira was the health coach was finally getting some air time. She must be into paleo as she said she does not eat grains which makes you wonder how long that is going to be able to last on the show. She was making making a chicken terrine and serving it with a purple pineapple jam and pureed beetroot with liquorice. She was one of the three to get her plate tasted and the judges loved it.

Tash was the other person who got her dish tasted. She made a liquorice custard with pistachio and cinnamon cake and pineapple and thyme foam. Her dish looked like it was from a Michelin Star restaurant (that is how you do it Kelly) and Gary said it was smashing.

However it was Kira who was deemed the winner and got to pick the ingredient for the invention test. After five minutes of screen time she picked eggs to be the ingredient. As the challenge was to make a breakfast dish. She also could choose between bacon and mushrooms however the two ingredients not picked were not going to be in the pantry. Kira decided not to be tricky and went with eggs.

For once being the mystery box winner was not a poison chalice as she made Baked eggs with Black Beans Chipotle and served it with Coriander and Lime Smoothie. For the first time in a few years I will be looking at a recipe on the Masterchef website.

Nick again was making sweet and made a pistachio crumbed french toast with stewed peaches. However he could not get it together and did not take the skin of the peach nor remove stone. Gary said it looks bad and tastes worst.

Emilia was making sous vide scrambled eggs and have to agree with the judges and ask what was the point? She dished them up with normal sides and the eggs were not even as nice as just making them in five minutes on a fry pan. She was lucky she was not up for elimination.

Byron was making the judges swoon over his savoury churros to dunk into his Baked Eggs. His first go at the churros reveal the oil was not hot enough so his churros just sunk straight to the bottom. The judges liked the dish.

Jamie was also making an the Israeli version of Baked Eggs. However he made an error of transferring his tomatoes to a cold dish  and his eggs were raw. Even though George said the stuff at the bottom was absolutely delicious the undercooked eggs saw him go into the elimination challenge.

Steven who served up poached eggs with a vegetable side was told there was nothing inventive there.

Sarah who the judges love, were impressed with her Scotch Quail Egg she even managed to keep it gooey inside.  Gary was all “wow” and George thought it was  “delicious, delicious, delicious.”

Tash told she made a top three dish again but then did not make it into the top three looks like she is going to go top ten.

Deepali who has not shown she can cook at all made a Crumpet Egg Hollandaise. George said the crumpets were oily and the eggs overcooked. I wonder why she did not make an Indian dish with eggs. She needs to stick with her strengths.

Top three were Sarah, Kira and Byron  with Sarah winning but there is no prize just the accolade.

Bottom three were Nick and Deepali  and Jamie. Also Scott was sick and missed the mystery box and invention test so will have to cook of as well. Jamie should be safe as he is against two cooks that are not that great and as it is a pressure test Scott might struggle as not sure he is fabulous at following a recipe.

1 Evan { 05.12.14 at 10:44 am }

Scott or Depali will go next, Jamie and Nick are better cooks than them.

2 Jas { 05.12.14 at 11:30 am }

It seems like they should be able to rely on their strengths at the moment, but people like Nick will soon work out that just doing sweet will not cut it.
I hope Jamie is safe, hopefully a toss up between the rest of them as the cult of Byron continues. He’d have to be this year’s Daniel.

3 Culinary Boner { 05.12.14 at 11:49 am }

“Shine on you crazy Byron
You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom”

4 Georgietake2 { 05.12.14 at 11:54 am }

I don’t blame people like Nick sticking to what they know for as long as possible. Obviously as the field gets smaller, you need to start being clever and creative, but like any long race, it is not always the ones that sprint at the start that win. Standing out from the crowd is great, but can they keep up the momentum?

5 Fiona { 05.12.14 at 11:56 am }

I hope Jamie does not go home. He is my fav, more over Byron… Jamie is so cute he does something to my lady parts LOL. I think it will be the dentist leaving tonight.

6 Ari { 05.12.14 at 12:02 pm }

I like Jamie and Byron! And Brent…they’re pretty good-looking. Also I love Sarah and Renae!

Scott will go. I don’t know why but he just trumps the mood for me. Like, whenever he’s on screen you know it can’t be good. So I think he will go. Depali has potential, she will be the one where they say, “you have to try harder you don’t wanna come back here.”

Such a good season so far. Makes me want to forget S5 like it never happened (except for Rishi).

7 emp { 05.12.14 at 12:35 pm }

Nick can’t cook savoury and Deepali can’t cook. Bye Deepali

8 Ali { 05.12.14 at 12:53 pm }

Unfortunate comment from Emilia whose sous vide scrambled eggs was the colour and consistency of diarrhoea:

“I’ll just see what comes out and run with it”.

Jamie looks like he walked straight out of a Nick Cave video – for South Australian Tourism. When MasterChef has its Abattoir Challenge, he will kill it.

If Byron is meant to be this year’s stud-muffin Lynton, sorry Masterchef, but Topher Grace does not moisten my loins.

RR, you said that Deepali “needs to stick with her strengths.”
And what, pray tell, would those be?

9 abc { 05.12.14 at 1:02 pm }

watched it yesterday for the 1st time!!!! it does seem good this year!!! Sarah seems nice!!! i dont like nor hate broyn!!! Would like to know why people hate broyn everywhere!!!! :)

10 Evan { 05.12.14 at 1:09 pm }

The ones I like so far are Ben, Nick, Byron(yes, even Byron), Kira, Laura and the lady who cooked the crabs the other night, and Renae too.
But we are yet to see very much of the other remaining contestants, for instance – who is Brent?
Depali or Scott I would happily say goodbye to tonight – Depali because she is irritating and all over the place, Scott because I doubt he has much to contribute in the way of cooking.

11 Rosie { 05.12.14 at 1:46 pm }

Thanks for the giggles, Ali.

I’m not sure what to think about tonight. Except Deepali should go back to being a dentist, and keep her cooking as a hobby. A very rare hobby. A very, very, very rare hobby. And I’d be stunned and amazed if Nick went home. But not at all disappointed.

It would be a shame if the poor bugger who was crook winds up going home on the back of that. Not unfair, but bad luck. I don’t know how you gice remember so many of their names so soon! At least they’re culling them nice and fast, so I should catch up soon.

12 brain dead dave { 05.12.14 at 2:30 pm }

Byron’s a cult. To his credit , he didn’t cry last night or milk his back story. He even helped another contestant. I’m not a true believer yet. ,and think Byron should remain as Boner alludes a ” target for faraway laughter”

It’s got to be better to find the peach stone on the plate than in your throat. Should have crisped the peach skin up, Nick, it’s all the rage.

Gary :” It looked bad and tasted worse”. C’mon Gaz best home cooks ever. Ma$terchef Kitchin!

Scott or Deepali. I think it’s a challenge that involves cooking chips to sort these out tonight.

Thanks for the laughs,Ali.

13 kingfisher { 05.12.14 at 2:42 pm }

g day all long time no talk , how on earth did channel 10 stuff up last nights master chef by showing after the first and second ad break the 4 bottom cooks who are in the elimination , plain to see we could not believe it there they are all four in there black aprons , well the souffle collapse for us at home and another gripe that I hate is why do they treat us like morons when they show the cooks who are going to be in the top 3 by interviewing them when this happens we all say she”s in he”s in ….. I want some excitement I don’t want to know who gonna be in the top 3 , well what do you know my souffle has collapse again BLOODY MASTER COP OUT ! HOWS BDD going good I hope and gday reality raver I am out of hibernation looks like things haven’t changed and has Paul finally lost his internet connection :) tata kingfisher

14 Culinary Boner { 05.12.14 at 2:55 pm }
15 daisy { 05.12.14 at 3:04 pm }

Ha ha. He can fill in for Jowlsy or go on TBL

Poor Godzilla can’t even escape social media bullying.

16 brain dead dave { 05.12.14 at 3:04 pm }

It needs a frightening big brown checked suit on it like Jowlzilla last night.

Thanks, kingfisher , good to see you back here.

17 Georgietake2 { 05.12.14 at 3:58 pm }

Proof that a “Western” diet is bad for your health. Should have stuck to seaweed and sashimi.

18 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 4:23 pm }

I don’t hate Byron but its C10 that keep showing him and people get sick of the favourtism they showered to him.

Just like what they did with Dani. She has a bubbly personality but because of the favouritism and keep showing her on screen, viewers start to dislike her.

Lots of Masterchef ad on radio but the problems with the ad are they keep promoting the judges rather the contestants. They never learn. Its the contestants that make the show not the judges.

19 Sandii { 05.12.14 at 5:03 pm }

I agree Littlepetal, I dont mind Byron at all, in fact he is pretty easy on my eyeballs, but I hate the way they seem to be “grooming” him (BDD not in a Rolf Harris kinda way) and they seems to be favouring him. I think the upside down cake was a tad over the top. Like I said previously I think I made them in primary school and it didnt even look that great. I am enjoying this serious because the cooking has stepped up.

20 daisy { 05.12.14 at 5:15 pm }

Oooo oooo ( a la car 54), Sandii don’t mention grooming on here. We might ALL be groomers.

But then again I din’t even groom for Thailand.

:ooops: tmi ?

Bad daisy! Kecha!

21 Evan { 05.12.14 at 5:19 pm }

There is a big interview with Scott in TV WEEK for this week – I wonder if this is an indication that he doesn’t get eliminated tonight?

22 Reality Raver { 05.12.14 at 5:27 pm }

Evan – sometimes that can mean he IS going to be eliminated as his publicity value goes after they are eliminated.

23 Morgan { 05.12.14 at 6:04 pm }

And so the Byron favoritism begins. Relieved he didn’t win the challenge. Sarah is looking like a real contender to win so far, as do Kira and Tash. I hope Jamie survives tonight as I think he’s one of the better cooks there and I don’t think he should even be up for elimination as Emelia and Stephen’s dishes looked and seemed worse (but hey, that’s MasterChef for you). I want to see if Nick can do savoury.

I think Deepali or Scott are going tonight, Deepali has continued to flop and Scott doesn’t look like he brings much to the table at all.

24 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 6:07 pm }

The guys are dropping off like flies if Scott get eliminated tonight.

25 Carole { 05.12.14 at 6:15 pm }

Those scrambled eggs looked horrible. They looked all rubbery like the ones you get at cheap breakfast buffets. I make yummy scrambled eggs, but I wouldn’t make them if I was on MasterChef. It was a shame the crumpets & eggs benedict didn’t turn out as they would have been really nice. I love baked eggs, but they are tricky, too risky to make for something like MasterChef. They always either turn out overcooked or not cooked enough, it’s very hard to get them just right.

Indians are usually know for being good cooks, that’s 2 years in a row we have had an Indian who can’t cook.

26 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 6:18 pm }

I thought Rishi was a good cook.

I think Tash has some Indian heritage.

27 Gabby { 05.12.14 at 7:26 pm }

Good one Fiona @5 you made me laugh. I don’t want Jamie to go home either, but not for the same reasons as you, wink, wink :)
His dish was really tasty the judges said, it was just the fact the egg wasn’t cooked, I know it was an egg dish but he still had the flavours so I think he is going to be a decent cook.
I would have preferred to see Emelia in his place for her horrid scrambled eggs. That was a disastrous dish compared to his, she she should be up tonight.
I think they want the dentist for a bit longer.

28 abc { 05.12.14 at 8:11 pm }

@littlepetal 26- does that suppose to mean all indians are good cooks????

29 Uel's Cannons { 05.12.14 at 8:11 pm }

Annoying Deepali.
That voicebox and accent.
‘I’ve never cooked beef before’ and I’m on a cooking show.

30 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 8:13 pm }

Not really,abc. Just mentioned that Rishi was a good cook.

31 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 8:16 pm }

Nobody can use the excuse that just because they don’t eat or cook certain food the judges need to have sympathy.

32 abc { 05.12.14 at 8:22 pm }

Oh!!!!

33 Morgan { 05.12.14 at 8:30 pm }

Scott did alright. Nick’s steak was way undercooked but the rest of the components were good. Deepali is in trouble.

34 Littlepetal { 05.12.14 at 8:33 pm }

A bit of tears and you will be safe

35 Sandii { 05.12.14 at 9:35 pm }

Pretty happy with the result. I think it was a fair call.

36 Smythe { 05.13.14 at 3:38 am }

The right person was sent packing for a change.

37 Culinary Boner { 05.13.14 at 9:24 am }

Nick looked like he’d also never cooked steak before.
The guy was clearly born with man-nesia.

38 daisy { 05.13.14 at 10:06 am }

Did anyone else notice that Deepali looked like smiling Alice from the Vicar of Dibley.

39 brain dead dave { 05.13.14 at 10:50 am }

The Ma$terchef ratings trend is still downwards .735 ,000 last night after 770, 000 on Sunday night. Not even the magnificence of Byron can stop roughly 25-30,ooo viewers abandoning Shine’s ship of culinary fools each night.

Best home cooks ever ,gice. Ma$terchef kitchin’!

Deepali’s departure was inevitable, I guess. Not very familiar with Vicar Of Dibley,daisy.

40 daisy { 05.13.14 at 10:58 am }

Then I will try and find you a photo of toothy Alice.

41 Littlepetal { 05.13.14 at 11:22 am }

Rating just like last year. Maybe about 50K more than last year.

42 daisy { 05.13.14 at 11:27 am }

Viewing may pick up as people discover it is not as bad as last year nor as bad as MKR, but that people are actually cooking. Well someone is cooking. Let’s hope they don’t have behind the scenes chefs.

Even W said it is much better this year. We have our antenna fixed and can get ch10 now.

43 Littlepetal { 05.13.14 at 11:35 am }

It is definitely better this year and back to the original format. Unfortunately, once you lied too many times, viewers wont believe them anymore.

44 Carole { 05.13.14 at 6:21 pm }

Sorry Littlepetal, I didn’t mean Rishi, I liked him too, he should have won. I was referring to Neehar.

45 Avia { 06.01.14 at 9:05 pm }

I hope Byron doesn’t go home he’s my fav.
He’s so cute