Guest Post: House Rules – The WA House Reveal

Thanks again Annajjj for the recap on what Carole and Russell thought of their house reno:
House reveal tonight and it looks like a good one. Despite her multitude of misgivings, the preview shows Carole in floods of joy and Gapper…well does anyone, least of all Carole, care about Gapper’s reaction?
A very dramatic start to this episode as it’s Judgement Day says Voice Over ominously and Lisa tells us she won’t survive another week in the tent. The hardest thing for me, admits Grant, is interpreting the 5 different house rules. Really G? That’s the toughest thing in your life at this point? Hard to believe.
First up and Team Bomb get bad news from Chester!, which they already knew, that they have a hole in their ceiling. Meanwhile Crush and Gosling have issues in the bedroom, which no one needs to know about but it’s more to do with the painting. Painting doesn’t thrill Candy at the best of times and now she flicks a bit more paint around in obvious disgust. We’re losing an uphill battle says Ryan flicking his metaphors around.
The Cappers pack up to come home and that was a quick week says Iggy cheerfully and no it bloody wasn’t snaps Carole. Iggy Gapper tells us his worst nightmare is that no one got the house rules right. My worst nightmare is being chased naked through the forest by Ramsay Snow with wild dogs attacking my face but then again I’m not married to stressy Carole.
Back at the house Bomb has decided to make a feature of his ceiling hole and Grant is installing what looks like hand-drawn penises wallpaper in the kitchen. Brooke tries to help by peeling off the backing paper and Grant tells her off so she assumes the arms folded position and declares that removable wallpaper is removable so it shouldn’t matter if she destroys it.
McGravy is back with a style tip for Lisa. Look at your pillows then turn away and spin back to check again and that is very like Coco Chanel’s tip for checking for over-accessorising McStealy. Mel is being a gun says Bomber and I’ve just realised Bomber looks quite a lot like Will Ferrell. There is last minute fixing up of rooms and carrying of furniture up the stupid driveway then Lisa is stressing about pillows, spin Lisa spin, and says she can’t work pillows to save her life and this woman can’t do much to save her own life. Appliances go in, Jo yells 5 minutes to go, Lisa thumps her pillows again and then suddenly that’s it. Pillows down everyone. We’re done.
Hugs all around as Mel tries to manouvre herself a bit closer to fireman Lloyd and we get a quick reminder of the week that was including Brooke’s gas leak and other assorted low-lights.
Teams depart and judges arrive and Joe is wearing an Italian-restaurant tablecloth shirt and what this guy doesn’t know about style isn’t worth knowing. Wendy and Joe walk into the kitchen and wow. Its a very big kitchen in a very small house and Wendy doesn’t think it is industrial chic but really industrial chic is anyone’s interpretation according to Grant. Meanwhile Joe says he is worried he may be sucked into the enormous rangehood…Joe thinks far too much about appliance suction. The butler’s pantry is a complete miss; there is no butler for starters and the deconstructed bed-head door is not industrial chic in anyone’s book.
Moving into the family room/alfresco dining and this is industrial chic so hooray. Joe wants to sit on the lounge but has to move about 7,000 cushions first. The deck is great but there is nothing stunning here says Joe. Down the hallway the laundry doors are the wrong red, it is so easy to get your reds wrong.
Heading into the master bedroom and we haven’t seen much of this room so far and its pretty good. Joe thinks the mirror is awesome, I think the bed looks too narrow and Wendy thinks the plywood bed head fails the vintage luxe theme. Everyone likes the vintage luxe chair. In the WIR there is more wallpaper, sucked in Gapper, and into the ensuite which is great and the bath is the hero of the dish declares Joe who has been visiting the MC set on his days off.
Lastly the guest bedroom and bathroom where Lisa parrots Grant and hopefully tells us the House Rules are open to interpretation but really they aren’t. Overall the judges like the guest room and the bathroom although people with big bottoms will struggle with the narrow shower seat which might discourage them and I’d have thought that would be a plus.
The judges meet up with the teams at HomeBase to deliver their verdicts.
Crush and Ryan Gosling: Need more cohesion (technical designer term) and the Big Red Car Door was a fail so 6 & 6. That makes a total of 12 Jo helpfully informs us.
Team Bomb: Too many cushions and they are advised to think about restraining orders or possibly just restraint. 7 & 6
Snow Whites: Not so much industrial chic as cottage farmhouse fail. I lean on the hotel remote and accidentally change to foxtel so miss the scores here. [Ed’s note: I think it was 4 & 4]
Adam and Lisa: I’m on the phone to reception asking how to change the channel back since all the instructions on the remote have been worn off in this crum-bum hotel so can anyone fill in the gaps? [Ed’s note: I think it was 7 & 7].
Maddi and Fireman Sam: I’m back just in time for the scores 8 & 8. Well done.
Now its time for the home owners and Carole can’t make it as far as the driveway before collapsing in shocked delighted amazement. Gapper gives her a supportive hug and this would be a bit cute if we didn’t already know these two. They enter the house and seem to really love every part of it. Very few criticisms apart from Carole getting annoyed that Gapper gets a whole drawer in the WIR to himself. And a top one too. What were teams thinking?
Back at Homebase Jo says it was a mixed bag of reactions but it seemed overwhelmingly positive to me. The Cappers arrive to give their scores.
Team Bomb: Cappers absolutely loved the living/dining, couldn’t possibly fault it and score is a 6. WT actual F? A measly 6??
Adam and Lisa: Again absolutely perfect, loved every bit and this must be a ten… no another pathetic 6.
Crush and Ryan Gosling: Bedroom was lovely but laundry doors were too big and going by previous history we should now see our first negative score but no its a 5.
Maddi and Firefighter: Fantastic effort, perfection plus and it’s an 8. Wonder what you have to do to score a 10 from Carole. Actually don’t even go there.
Snow Whites: Couldn’t fault anything except the bed head door and they get a 7.
Well that was disappointing. Shitty scores all around considering how much they apparently loved their reno. Are these two playing the game? Because if so they’ve just lost it.
We take a look at the overall leader board for this week plus the overall leader board for both weeks and much to everyone’s delight Snow White are camping next and Brooke is angry and threatens to leave but from the previews it is Candy who does a runner. Next up Adam and Lisa’s home.

1 Colleen { 05.13.14 at 9:25 am }

I love everything about it, there is nothing to fault, therefore I give you a 6!!!! WTF!!! I suppose once your house is done you don’t need friends anymore. I was really happy when the judges scored snow white really low, but then Carole went and destroyed my happiness.

I think that Mel saw that episode of Better Homes and Gardens when Jo visited Wendys house and Wendy said that she loves cushions.

2 all happening { 05.13.14 at 9:54 am }

Where does one put all the xs cushions when you want to sit down. Very strategic scoring. another great recap, annajjj. My hubby,not happening, is a big fan of your recaps too.

3 Smythe { 05.13.14 at 10:03 am }

Mel and Bomber underscored by Carol & Russell and Joe. Only problems Joe had with their renno seemed to be the cushions which can easily be removed and the deck which he thought was not elegant enough. I thought the deck was nice, didn’t need any bling. Joe gives a 6 to Candy and Ryan for their not so good renno and then gives Mel & Bomber the same score. C & R very happy w/ the living room and deck and only give Mel and Bomber a 6. WTF was that about. Strategy?? As for Joe, what was his rationale for scoring those two teams the same?

The Brady Bitch and partner deserve to go to the tent and maybe they can wind up there for more than a week. I was very surprised that C & R liked the kitchen. Did not look like industrial chic, range hood low (assuming it can be adjusted), the not a barn door ugly especially with those huge black handles, no sink in butler’s pantry.

Did C & R buy the house knowing or assuming that they would be on House Rules?

4 Gabby { 05.13.14 at 10:04 am }

Annajjj thanks again for fast, fun recap. I am with you about Gapper saying his worst nightmare would be if they had interpetated their whatever wrong. I would have thought they would have been happy just to have had their house renovated and not too bothered with a few mistakes on the design front. Not cause enough for ‘worst nightmare’.
Could not believe their scoring, did not match their elation at seeing the rooms. Also the judges scoring was a bit off too. They raved about Mel and Bom’s living room and then marked them a six.
Same for Carole and Gap, raved about it all and marked sixes.
Payback is not very nice and I will not care if they receive some.
At first I was feeling sorry for them when they were seeing their home and Carole was crying but when they dished their low scores out, any sympathy I was feeling for them soon disappeared as fast as it arrived.
I can’t believe they gave the Brady’s 7. After all she didn’t get her sink!

5 brain dead dave { 05.13.14 at 10:20 am }

No sitting down,all happening. You just get to admire all the cushions and if you turn round really quickly and look at them,they look even more awesome and edgy. Smash your head on the range hood and then look at the edgy “mottled” effect the cushions vibrate with.

Carole was all over the shop with the scoring. I guess that’s from being so emotional seeing her sight unseen cockroach and rat hotel being renovated on the house.

Camping out with the sound of a babbling brooke. Perfect. I’ll bet she snores like a machine or a huge range hood. Loved that bozo judge banging his head on Grant’s range hood.

Candy’ll be back ,sure as eggs is eggs Ryan. Loving your work,annajjj.

6 daisy { 05.13.14 at 10:36 am }

I had a 3 minute look and saw one room that looked awful. It was really garish. There was an awful orange picture on the wall that they described as a “Keeper”.

I know I am probably supposed to look at the characters but I can’t get past the décor. Do they ever do tasteful or understated?

7 brain dead dave { 05.13.14 at 10:59 am }

Tasteful or understated? The guests bedroom looked great- if you’re running a brothel.

8 Fiona { 05.13.14 at 11:03 am }

I actually liked all the cushions in the living room. Carol now has the option of storing most of them in the cupboard and swapping them around when she feels like it.

I have a walk in pantry, not a butlers pantry, but just a plain walk in one. It is much larger than the one on HR and instead of cupboards (WTF?) it has shelves, why put cupboards in there? If there is a door. Does not makes sense to me.

9 Shellbot { 05.13.14 at 11:14 am }

Scoring was a joke, Carole is clearly on crazy pills, she seemed to struggle to say to their faces that the other teams did a good job too :p Also I’m smelling another ‘hilarious prank’ with the Runaway Candy promo, was Ryan talking to Lloyd about it to test his psychologist skills?

10 jec { 05.13.14 at 11:34 am }

Everyone has nailed the scoring issue on it’s head so I won’t add much more except to say that the minor (if any) faults in the lounge/sundeck and guest room/bathroom can be easily fixed, unlike Ryan & Candy’s zone that will need more work – wall behind the main bed fixed, new laundry cupboards & drawers. I couldn’t believe it when they were only scored one point less than those other two zones!

I liked it how the same colours went through the house: browns, deep red, touch of yellow. I wonder if teams discuss that aspect at all? They must talk about carpets & flooring. I love the tiles on the laundry wall and ensuite floor/wall as I have the same sort as much kitchen splashback.

BDD, I think you’re onto something with Carole’s scoring. The contestants (her especially) would be so caught up with the emotional high of seeing their house totally renovated to think properly about the scoring, though I doubt it’s done the same day. Where is Homebase located? I’m guessing Sydney or Melbourne. Teams have to return there which means it’s highly unlikely the judging is done on the same day as tools down. Also there would be extra days between finishing at one house and starting at another to allow for travel and the judging telecast.

While I say that the colour decor seemed to flow through the Gapper’s house, I can’t say the same for Adam & Lisa. I’m guessing only one of their house rules mentions wallpaper, yet it seems like all teams are going to incorporate it into their zone. I like Adam & Lisa (more so Adam, who seems very supportive and smiles through most things) and hope they get a decent renovation.

11 Smythe { 05.13.14 at 12:15 pm }

Brain Dead, brothel…my exact thought when I saw the guest bedroom. The wall behind the bed in the master bedroom and the sconces made me think of a funeral home.

12 Smythe { 05.13.14 at 12:18 pm }

Keep getting this message: Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that! So I’ll try again below:

13 Smythe { 05.13.14 at 12:19 pm }

RR, is my comment about the brothel and funeral home in the spam folder? Got this error: Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that! and then varied the post but wouldn’t post. Thanks.

14 Aubergine { 05.13.14 at 12:20 pm }

Is it just me or does Judge Joe look like the new AFL CEO, Gillon McLachlan? He sure wears the same … ahem … stylish and colourful get up as Gill and has similar boyish floppy hair.

15 brain dead dave { 05.13.14 at 12:32 pm }

Smythe @11 My comment above which contained the word “brothel” also went into the spam folder. I’ll be sure to call it a knocking shop or adult relaxation outlet next time.

If yours doesn’t appear soon, you can email RR to have it retrieved .

16 all happening { 05.13.14 at 12:33 pm }

I saw a promo this morning and a scene well into the reno has Candy slopping paint or something around. I am fearful of this reno with all the different wallpapers. I just do NOT like Carole.

17 daisy { 05.13.14 at 12:40 pm }

Brothel. Ha ha. Yes that’s apt.

Or Miss Kitty’s boudoir above the saloon in Gunsmoke.

Yes Rosie. I have watched Gunsmoke.

18 Andrea { 05.13.14 at 12:56 pm }

I hated the barn door/butler pantry thing, and the graffitti LOVE wallpaper in the kitchen, just awful. Ditto to the laundry, too impractical squashed up in a cupboard like that, where do you put all the dirty clothes that need washing?
Much more practical to have built a proper laundry under the house.
I was liking Carole, but not so sure now after the low scoring she did.
So glad The Bradys are in the tent, I hope it rains .

19 Agent 86 { 05.13.14 at 1:58 pm }

I thought the worst rooms were the kitchen (which completely missed every aspect of the House Rules – industrial (not cottage), barn door and butler’s pantry), the main bedroom (poor paint work by Candy, bizarre mix of industrial and vintage luxury) and the laundry (ugly and impractical). Yet, the scores awarded by the judges and the owners didn’t really reflect this.

But, the house did seem more cohesive than Candy and Ryan’s house which had a bizarre mish-mash of colours and styles.

I feel bad for Adam and Lisa since it seems that the teams each take the “wallpaper” House Rule and run wild with their own bizarre and conflicting choices. I don’t feel bad for Grant and Brooke being stuck in the tent. They’re a thoroughly unlikeable team. And I don’t buy the “Candy has quit” editing at all. It seems like yet another “practical joke” thought up by the producers to waste time, leading to a frantic finish, and to create “dramatic” TV ads.

20 all happening { 05.13.14 at 2:20 pm }

Didn’t each house have another room that was left undone last year. I noticed that there was a room below the lounge in Carole and Russel’s place. It will be the room they go back to later in the series during the elimination phase and when they fix the worst bits.

21 MV { 05.13.14 at 2:25 pm }

Spot on re cap Anhajjj.
I loved what Mel and Bomber did – it looked so warm and homely. They can come and re-do my lounge and deck anytime :) Carol’s score was just wrong. As for long john’s critic that the deck wasn’t swish enough – it’s the hills for crying out loud and it fits perfectly in that setting.

22 Gabby { 05.13.14 at 2:46 pm }

I like Adam, he seems to always be happy and gets on with everyone. I hope he and Lisa get a good job.
All happening I remember that last year about the extra room, did they all have an extra room, I can’t quite remember that much but I did spot the room under Carole’s house.
Fiona to me that was definitely a walkin pantry, not at all a butler’s, no room for appliances or to do any work in there. And of course no sink.
I was thinking they could pay Carole back for her low scores but they don’t know who did what room when they score do they, so there goes my little theory down the drain.

23 Lyn { 05.13.14 at 3:02 pm }

Possibly a Spoiler but check out the whirlpool forums House Rules Thread on page 60 – someone has posted a couple of photos of their house showing a done up garden and plywood covering in under the larger deck. Possibly means they go to the round where the extra rooms were done.

24 kess { 05.13.14 at 3:18 pm }

Anyone get the feeling the vile Tassie couple’s exes ran off with each other.
They probably met at a counsellor’s office, or maybe divorce court/lawyers.
And these 2 just lumped together – they despise each other, and compete to make the other look like an idiot.
Rude idiots without a clue.
As this was filmed in summer, LOL, they are likely to be camping in the horrendous record breaking heatwaves we endured. That will be fun:)
Carol knows Mel is going to be a viewers favourite, she is just adorable, so she votes her down
This series is going to be longer surely – they already have so many stuff ups to fix.

25 Lisa { 05.13.14 at 4:04 pm }

Joh Griggs said it is 24 – 48 house between house reveal and ponta awarded. So they had plenty of time to think about it

26 Smythe { 05.13.14 at 5:00 pm }

Andrea #18 I was surprised that there were no negative comments by judges or C & R about that LOVE wallpaper. Maybe they were edited out or maybe no comments were made?? If that were my kitchen I would rip that out along w/ the non barn doors. Maybe C & R could get a pony or miniature horse and keep it in the pantry. 😉

Brain Dead If br*thel not acceptable could always replace a letter or two with a * or rename it as per your suggestions.

Based on the previews, the teams take wallpapering to the extreme.

27 ExEssex { 05.13.14 at 6:08 pm }

And Annajjj your recaps are really fun

28 annajjj { 05.13.14 at 6:31 pm }

Shellbot I reckon you’re right about Candy and Ryan, seems a bit too staged to be real. Maybe these pranks are designed to endear us to the contestants….it’s not working. @bdd camping by a babbling Brooke, I just snorted out loud. Snol
Keep the comments coming gice and welcome over here Daisy. Hope you stick around!

29 Eliza { 05.14.14 at 12:38 am }

I am so glad you were all thinking the same as me about Carol’s crazy scoring! Made NO sense, neither did the judges re Bomber and Mel! Their spaces were miles better than Candy and Ryan’s and Joe scored them the same?! They seemed to be resolved very well, fit with the house rules and looked nice. I awarded them most improved from the week before. I still have nightmares about that guest bedroom!

I also didn’t get the scoring for Adam and Lisa. Although I didn’t love the bedroom (esp that horrid wallpaper – if you don’t have time to get good stuff, don’t buy it from Masters!), it was pretty well done and the bathroom was nice and looked functional. Unless Carol just pretended to like it during the reveal?!

Candy and Ryan’s spaces were a mess – the bedhead was awful, the print looked silly over the bed and the red laundry doors.. why?

The kitchen wasn’t terrible, but wasn’t great either and didn’t fit with the house rules.. oh wait, except the colander and the stools.. good job! The two most easily replaced things.. Hated the pantry doors too and wasn’t sure what was going on inside. No sink was just stupid and those red shelves were just pointless and just got in the way of actually being able to use the bench in there. Seeing as Grant and Brooke didn’t really succeed with any of the house rules, not sure why they got a 7. Strategy maybe..

Take a breath.. I feel better now!

P.S I love cushions too.. Sometimes I just buy them because I like them..

P.P.S Gidgit, was that you that tweeted about Tuesday night’s ep? If so, you did make me LOL..

30 Eliza { 05.14.14 at 12:40 am }

@Smythe, this site hates me too.. I will attempt to post again:

Take a breath.. I feel better now!

P.S I love cushions too.. Sometimes I just buy them because I like them..

31 Eliza { 05.14.14 at 12:43 am }

RR, my comments are being eaten up again. I think the site gets sick of my mega rants. Could you pretty please take it out of junk? I won’t try post it many times so it doesn’t clog up the junk folder! Thank you!

32 Reality Raver { 05.14.14 at 12:56 am }

Eliza – it is out! My spam box can be overly zealous

33 daisy { 05.14.14 at 12:56 am }

Thanks annajii. I always enjoy your comments.

I will try and have the odd peek at hr but everytime I have turned on my eyeballas have been assaulted by some weird uni student style make over. You know like the things you did when you first flew the family coop and had to make a bookshelf from bricks and planks of old wood.
Everything I have ever seen on this show has been ott and gaudy, but in fairness I think I have seen all of 10 minutes ever, so you can ignore me completely.

Now I willmjust be thinking brothel…and I have never even been to, or been employed in one.

34 Eliza { 05.14.14 at 12:57 am }

Wow, that was quick! Thanks RR :)

35 Eliza { 05.14.14 at 1:01 am }

DW, Daisy, the standard on HR is not very high. The first house was horrid. I felt so bad for Candy and Ryan.. so much to fix!

It’s all good for me to say this, but I am sure what they do in a week is very tough and you have such a limited amount of time to source things. Still, some things they pick.. well.. they could find better. I have been to, and bought cushions from Freedom recently and continue to wonder how they all seem to find the ugliest ones possible?!

36 daisy { 05.14.14 at 1:10 am }

Maybe the producers choose cast who tbey know will chose crap furnishings. Can they choose any shops they like?
The problem you often have, as with clothing, when it’s the latest fad, it’s all…everyone’s got the same furniture.

37 daisy { 05.14.14 at 1:15 am }

BTW, and on names… I might hire someone named Candy to be a fairy at my gkids party, or a dancer at a bux night. Decorating, not so much.
I will have to check out this Candy person.
Who knows, she might be a sensible librarian in a button up shirt, pleated skirt and court shoes.
Now I have insulted and stereotyped all Candys, all librarians and all people wearing sensible clothes.
You sure you want me here annajiiii?

38 Eliza { 05.14.14 at 1:39 am }

Oop, I am trying to respond to you, Daisy, but my posts are getting eaten again :(

39 daisy { 05.14.14 at 1:46 am }

And yet my rude ones are slipping the censor. Weird.

40 Andrea { 05.14.14 at 7:19 am }

Daisy, @36 , they have to go to major sponsors of the show to shop such as Masters, Beacon Lighting and Freedom.
Its not so good this year but some of the rooms have been done really nicely, and to be honest, anything is better than the dumps they started off with, and they go back at the end and fix up a few things they did wrong.
I’d be very grateful if it were me just for the improvements, and they can always change wallpaper, paint, cushions etc when the show is over.
At least the value of their homes have improved.

41 daisy { 05.14.14 at 7:55 am }

It’s lovely to see old homes restored tastefully, and creatively but I can’t say I have liked what I have seen on hr.
But, again, to be fair, I haven’t seen enough so my opinion isn’t worth much.

I can see a problem in them having to choose only from those shops though.

If people have a tight budget, I like visiting a home that is clean, cosy, tidy and hospitable. It doesn’t need new furniture. If I get a friendly chat a cuppa and something nice to eat, I’m happy.

If I had to sit amongst ott garrish decor, I might find it a bit discomforting. Eg, orange is not a relaxing colour, and swirly wallpaper is unsettling too.

42 Andrea { 05.14.14 at 8:42 am }

Yes, I am not fond of orange either, ever since my mum overdosed on it in the 70’s. We had orange everywhere in our house!
Don’t like swirls either, simple is best , comfortable and cosy.

43 daisy { 05.14.14 at 8:50 am }

I think all of our parents went mad on orange and brown in the 70s. And we would have been the lucky ones as purple was also an in colour. And lime greens, maybe bamboo print for sun rooms.

See why I don’t think I am good for this hread. It’s too easy to insultpeople. Sorry to all those (my mum inc) who have bamboo print wallpaper in their sun room.

44 Smythe { 05.14.14 at 11:45 am }

This critic was very impressed with the butler’s pantry doors.

45 daisy { 05.14.14 at 11:47 am }

Aw Smythe, you found a shot of Chloe.

46 Smythe { 05.14.14 at 11:58 am }

Chloe or Kelly? Maybe it’s a hybrid..Chlelly? Looks like there’s a lot of gurning going on. :-)
BTW, Daisy, did you watch OB? Great episode.

47 daisy { 05.14.14 at 12:03 pm }

Not yet Smythe. I crashed early but it’s on the top of my list for tonight.
I asked my kids if they had heard of “Orange is the New Black”.

Also there was a funny show from Britain called Friday Night Dinner. I think it might be back on. I’ll get back to you if I find it.

48 annajjj { 05.14.14 at 6:53 pm }

Always daisy, you and BDD and the other regulars are the reason most of us have bookmarked this site. You are well loved.

49 firefall-wiki.com { 10.03.14 at 7:37 pm }

I blog frequently and I genuinely appreciate your information. Your article has really peaked my interest.
I’m going to take a note of your website and keep
checking for new details about once per week.
I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.