The Voice’s Hayley Jensen Slams Former Australian Idol Judge Mark Holden Because He Criticised Her

hayley jensen Oz Idol

Hayley Jensen clearly still has issues with her Australian Idol days with her coming out and slamming Mark Holden for not liking her.

Hayley who is now through to the battle rounds on The Voice Australia came fourth in the second series of Australian Idol is still talking about the fact judge Mark Holden criticised her performances.

She says she was only 21 years old at the time and she told News.com.au “I’d love to see him, I’d like to say, ‘Oi, what’s your problem buster?’ I have a lot more confidence these days, to ask him for real, rather than feel intimidated.”

Mark Holden when asked by news.com.au sent back a response filled with more spin then the Federal Budget.

He said:

“I saw Hayley’s performance on The Voice — she looks and sounds fab.

“Will.i.am could give her a massive hit record or form another group around her- persistence pays off big time, congrats to Hayley for hanging in and continuing to believe in herself no matter what anyone else says!

“Good luck Hayley, you are already a winner. Mark.”

She likes The Voice because the Coaches are nicer. Which was one of the criticisms from the viewers about the show that once it got to the battle rounds and live show that coaches were not criticising sub-standard performances.

She says:

That’s the difference with The Voice this year, I haven’t heard anyone say ‘you’re just average or not good enough’”, said Jensen.

“The Voice has been a really lovely experience. There’s been no forcing of talking about this or that skeleton in your closet.

“That’s the reason why I went on The Voice.”

Surprisingly she said that this year she has not had to have a compelling back story as last year EVERYONE did. And in a essence that is the issue with Hayley she is just not compelling enough. She is pretty with a good voice but star quality was lacking on Idol and probably what will hinder her being a contender on The Voice Australia.

The Voice Australia on NINE tonight 7.30pm.

1 LW { 05.14.14 at 2:14 pm }

You know what Hayley, for .00001% of people to be extraordinary, the rest of them have to be ‘just average or not good enough’.
Sorry, but statistically we can’t all be special little princesses.

2 daisy { 05.14.14 at 2:23 pm }

Good one LW. I like your reasoning. I use stats when I ask Woolif, “What are the odds of being right 100% of the time?”

3 Chrissie { 05.14.14 at 2:41 pm }

I always liked Hayley on Idol and am excited to see how she goes on the Voice! Wish her all the best. Oh, and how absolutely refreshing to see a show that celebrates strengths and doesn’t put down weaknesses. You can get by on hard work and talent, not necessarily just because of a backstory too. That is impressive and motivational IMO.

4 Eliza { 05.14.14 at 3:15 pm }

If I remember correctly, they used to rip on them a lot for what they were wearing/how they were styled on Idol. Who could forget Dicko and his infamous comment to Paulini?! In this regard, I like that the coaches on The Voice don’t tend to comment negatively on how they look. Let’s not pretend though that they aren’t *secretly* relieved when they turn around and find an attractive person standing there..

Back stories don’t make me like one contestant or another more, it’s just more to fast forward through during the show.

Very true, LW.. or we’d all be superstars on The Voice.

5 emp { 05.14.14 at 3:42 pm }

What’s worse than a failed reality tv judge? A failed reality tv singer going on another reality tv singing show.

6 Reality Raver { 05.14.14 at 4:36 pm }

Well once the battle rounds start it becomes more about the looks then the voice.

7 Carole { 05.14.14 at 5:16 pm }

Wow, how many years ago was Idol on? I think she needs to get over it.

8 Morgan { 05.14.14 at 6:21 pm }

Um yeah, her season was 10 years ago. Time to build a bridge, Hayley.

9 Chrissie { 05.14.14 at 6:25 pm }

To be fair, someone obviously asked her the question!

10 Calorie Loader { 05.14.14 at 9:24 pm }

How’s the door bitch on this show? Looking like she wants to crawl up the arse of some contestants whilst seething and giving out the stink eye to others.

On Hayley-If all contestants are looking for is praise, why not stay at home and give concerts in front of Granny? How dare a judge, who’s title covers the job description be critical in anyway? It’s much more interesting watching one contestant after another being showered in praise for making potty after all.

Agreed that there’s no need to rip people to shreds for how they naturally look, but expecting no critique on any given performance is a bit much. If all they want is a platform, just post on YouTube.

11 daisy { 05.14.14 at 9:40 pm }

And Eliza@ 4, ki king themselves when they hear an ordinary voice and don’t turn around to find someone is groovy and hot. That’s annoying.
“You can’t sing but I wish I had turned around”. I think Joel says it the most.

12 daisy { 05.14.14 at 9:42 pm }

Calorie, good to see you round liks a rissole.

My heart rate is still up from watching my Orphan Black rec from last night.
It goes, “Boom boody boom”.

13 Eliza { 05.14.14 at 11:51 pm }

Haha, yes Daisy #11, very true. I love the “awwww” they do and then the fake “awww” when they pat themselves on the back for dodging an ugly bullet.

RR, I do agree that it does become a lot about the looks once the battles start, or should we say, how “marketable” they are.

We always knew a show called The Voice would never be all about the voice, people need to have that extra something about them.. be that good looks, but I think that more often it’s a compelling personality that makes people go further.

14 Chrissie { 05.15.14 at 12:05 am }

Agree CL – constructive criticsm, especially from such successful judges am sure is appreciated, to contestants and viewers alike.

15 Calorie Loader { 05.15.14 at 3:23 am }

What’s shitting me up the wall this season especially is the way the judges (mainly Kylie and Joel) seem incapable of making their own decision on when to turn. They hover above the button, pull indecisive faces at each other, look to the audience for guidance?!? and yet as soon as Ricky or Will.i.am decide to hit the button they both often quickly follow suit as if to say, ‘well if he thinks they’re good they must be and I must have them’. I wonder if at any stage Ricky does it to screw with them hoping the contestant will pick the other two-although if he did it would only backfire given his own popularity.

I respect Will.i.am and Ricky far more for being more independent, listening carefully, not hyping up the audience constantly, and relying on their own ears.

16 Ryan { 05.15.14 at 9:58 am }

There was a reason why he was tough on you Hayley. Back then you were blander than beige and not a terribly memorable singer, either. Seriously girl, it was ten years ago.

17 Eliza { 05.15.14 at 1:55 pm }

Yes, CL! This is exactly what they do!! I whinge all the time about (especially) Kylie seeming to copy. Will i am and Ricky seem much more able to make their own decisions.

18 Ginny { 05.20.14 at 1:53 pm }

emp { 05.14.14 at 3:42 pm }. A failed judge huh who now happens to be a barrister. Not not barista… barrister as in the law!