Masterchef Australia – The Immunity Pin Challenge Is Back

mc tart

Is this the weirdest product placement ever? Tracey is making Lemon and Lime Curd Tarts and there is a chicken stock packet lying on the bench right where she is plating up. OK she was going to originally make Gazpacho but you would have thought she would have removed those ingredients from her bench.

Tracey, Amy and Laura were getting a chance to cook off against a top chef for an immunity pin. But first they had to battle it out amongst themselves to see who would be in the chef-off.

The first round was a mini mystery box with mini ingredients including quail, quail eggs, mini leeks, mini beetroot and finger limes. They had to make an amuse bouche in 30 minutes.

Amy made Pan-Roasted Quail and Laura made Pan-Grilled Quail not sure what the difference is there.

Laura served her quail with a whitebait crumble and hard boiled quail eggs. Gary found a bone and told her it could be dangerous. Matt did not like how they had to reassemble the dish. George was more positive saying he liked the flavours.

However it was Tracey’s Quail Ballotine with Quail Cream and Candied Beetroot that got the win even with a bone peaking out on the plate. Gary thought it “bloody delicious”.

The chef she cooked off against was Oli Gould from The Stokehouse or what is left of it after it burnt down. Currently it is a pop up restaurant. Like previous seasons the chef gets to pick the ingredient to cook with and the contestant gets an extra 15 minutes.

Oli chose the fruit over the nuts. Tracey decided to make a Gazpacho Soup but was talked out of it by Kylie Kwong who hinted she was not showcasing an array of fruit. So she ran into the pantry and wasted time trying to decide what to do. In the end she decided to make a Lemon and Lime Curd Tart with Candied Oranges.

Oli decided to stick with savoury and cooked Pork  with Summer Fruits, Beetroot and Prosciutto. After coming to have a chat with Tracey when his pork was cooking he thought it might have been overdone but he did not have time to do a new one.  There was a slight sliver of pink in the meat for which he was praised it would have been interesting to see how pink his meat was cooked if it had been done to his perfection. Brendan was probably sitting at hom gnashing his teeth as he was turfed out for under cooked pork. Even though he had not rendered the fat off and Gary thought he had one too many fruits there he took out an easy win over Tracey whose meringue had split.

Masterchef Australia on TEN at 7.30pm Sunday to Thursday.

1 Benji { 05.21.14 at 2:17 am }

I know Kylie Kwong has a lot more experience than Oliver Gould, but I thought her little hints and suggestions about his cooking were a bit patronising. They’re both head chefs and professionals after all. She should regard him as a colleague, not an apprentice.

Tracey’s dish was uninspired. All that fruit and she chooses lemons and oranges? That’s barely a step up from the gazpacho she was initially going to do. I don’t mind her as a cook, but going up against a professional chef, her ideas were far too basic.
I noticed that Kylie didn’t seem very confident in advising Tracey on her dish, though. But I suppose desserts have never really been Kylie’s thing, which shows in her restaurant menu.

2 Sandii { 05.21.14 at 7:17 am }

You said exactly what I was about to comment on, on both accounts. I didn’t like Kylie telling Oli how to cook his pork and also thought Tracey should have used other fruit instead of citrus.

3 Gabby { 05.21.14 at 8:01 am }

Ditto, I thought Tracey should have chosen something with a bit more depth than Lemon/lime merengue pie, it seemed like a very basic dish for such a major challenge.
Also thought it was embarrassing the way Kylie was talking to Oli. As you said Benji @1 they are both head chefs and professionals. She was only there to mentor the MC contestants. I hope afterwards she realised what she had done. To me it was very condescending.
Tracey might also be realising she should have cooked something with a few more elements for any real shot at the immunity pin.

4 Littlepetal { 05.21.14 at 9:15 am }

Like the panacotta that Emelia made in the restaurant challenge would have met the brief. Have some beautiful fruits on the plate.

I thought Kylie was there to mentor the contestant not the chef.

5 Amy { 05.21.14 at 9:20 am }

“Amy’s Quail was served with Beetroot Chips. Kylie Kwong said it was honest. What does that mean?”

I said the exact same thing!

6 Littlepetal { 05.21.14 at 9:26 am }

Maybe it was honest meant it was real food!!!

7 Littlepetal { 05.21.14 at 9:33 am }

Also is this the third time that the judges said the pastry was the best in the competition or something like that?

How much better can the pastry be?

8 Smythe { 05.21.14 at 10:43 am }

Agree with everyone, Kylie was very condescending towards Oli. Wouldn’t think he appreciated or needed her advice.

Tracy’s dessert was pedestrian and not a dish for the “ammunity” pin challenge. As for her pastry being the best, guess it was better than the last best pastry so it’s the bestest (and grammar police, I do know that bestest is not correct except as slang). :-)

9 brain dead dave { 05.21.14 at 10:55 am }

“Best in the competition” seems to be the fall back position of the judges these days to remind us that these are the best home cooks ever,etc ,that Ma$terchef has turned some kind of qualitative corner.

“Honest” food,yes, Pete Evans was tossing that phrase around like confetti on MKR this year. Not sure that it means anything important.

Byron will get his ammunity pin soon. He’ll have to cook against a drover’s dog to get his.

10 Littlepetal { 05.21.14 at 11:03 am }

Thanks, Smythe. I am waiting for the next bestest best pastry!

I have a look at the recipe for Tracy Lime and Lemon Curd tart. She wasted time in preparing the curds separately and then covered the 2 coloured curds with the meringue.

Could have made it prettier like this to showcase the fruits?

11 Littlepetal { 05.21.14 at 11:07 am }

Rating not good. Just 780,000 viewers.

The quality of the contestants is definitely better than last year and they are doing more cooking but somehow the show is not engaging.

12 Evan { 05.21.14 at 11:14 am }

Channel 10 should thank their lucky stars for Offspring and Masterchef – both those shows are by far their best rating programs.
I really did not want the immunity challenges to return this year, and last night’s episode did not enthrall me all that much, albeit Tracey is quite likeable as a contestant.
The one notable highlight of last night – Colin, the winemaker, finally said something, in one of those tiny interview things.
I hope we soon get to see him cooking something for longer than 5 seconds.
Oh, and they manage to put Byron on endlessly up there on the gantry……….I like Byron, but it is obvious that he is the Lynton or Andy of 2014, according to the producers.

13 Evan { 05.21.14 at 11:15 am }

Byron, Georgia, Ben, Laura sure get a lot of screen time when they aren’t cooking

14 Culinary Boner { 05.21.14 at 11:18 am }

The ratings are fair considering the heightened boredom factor of a show that’s now been around for years, offers up the same formula and judges, and moves at the plodding pace typical of Australian reality TV shows. It’s become so boring I only bother watching occasionally, and rarely the entire episode.

15 Carole { 05.21.14 at 12:01 pm }

What the hell is quail cream?

I thought exactly the same thing when she was going to make gazpacho. She had all that beautiful fruit and decides to cook gazpacho. Thank god Kylie talked her out of it. Then she picks lemons & limes to make a meringue tart. For an immunity pin. Very basic indeed. All those beautiful berries & stone fruit and she picks lemons & limes. Girl had rocks in her head. She wasted her 15 min head start standing in the pantry deciding what to cook.

16 Zen { 05.21.14 at 12:24 pm }

Ha ha ha, RR, even I was wondering what “It was honest” meant. I must admit that MC didn’t captivate me and I kept channel surfing, then kept forgetting that I was watching MC in the first place. I just watched bits and pieces of it, but hey, I am not complaining!

17 Rosie { 05.21.14 at 12:59 pm }

I only watched the beginning of last night’s show. As soon as I realised one person was going to be up against an actual chef, it was painfully obvious that the ammunity pin wasn’t going off just yet. As it never should, Channel 10! Ugh.

I can only hope tonight’s show will be an improvement.

18 Danielle { 05.21.14 at 1:39 pm }

I personally get really sick of the peanut gallery being so critical of the ones down. ‘Gazpachio does not show off the fruit so there for she’s freaked out and I’m concerned’, it drives me nuts. I remember that Kate Bracks liked her immunity challenge because she got to cook without the risk of being eliminated.

I was also put off by Kylie Kwong questioning the chef. Yes he is younger than her but he is still a great chef. She can ask him what he is making but not be critical about it.

Are you going to interview the last two people eliminated? If so ask the obvious why did you use the whole fish?! Why didn’t you try cooking fish because MKR and Masterchef loves fish.

19 Andrea { 05.21.14 at 2:15 pm }

Kylie sounded like a teacher talking to Oli like that. He is a professional head chef who should know what he is doing without her help. I dislike the ammunity challenge very much, there is no point to it.
I want to see more of Colin, I wonder why he and others are rarely shown, are these the ones who coast through and win at the end?

20 Ali { 05.21.14 at 2:17 pm }

* Riddle me this: why does the professional hairdresser who runs her own salon (Tracy) have the messiest hair of anyone in the house?

* How dinky and cute were those midget-sized pans and utensils? I would be chuffed and honoured to be able to use George Columbaris’s personal set of cookware.

* Olie Gould has awakened my Sexy Librarian fetish.

* I thought an Amuse Bush was like a merkin, before Brazilians were invented. I won’t go into how they taste; we’ll just leave it at that …

21 Elizabeth { 05.21.14 at 2:25 pm }

The judges were kind to Tracey. Apart from the bestest pastry (at least until someone else makes a better one) her tart was an epic fail. Note to self for other MC contestants facing off against a professional chef:
1. Use your extra 15 minutes strategically to THINK about the dish
2. Do something creative with the available ingredients
3. Don’t rely on a recipe with precise ingredients and measures that, under the pressure of competition, you are likely to forget.

22 Littlepetal { 05.21.14 at 2:38 pm }

I agree that Tracy has the messiest hair!!! Look like C10 has budget cut and do not help them with looking more delicious!

23 Gabby { 05.21.14 at 2:46 pm }

In the history of this particular challenge where a rookie goes up against a professional how often has the rookie actually won? Not very often I don’t think. It is a stupid challenge.
I think this show has lost many of it’s viewers from last year. They made up their mind after last years pitiful contestants not to tune in again, and they haven’t, hence the viewer numbers being down.
Also the show is getting predictable and boring and ever so slow watching it all happen again. No surprises.
Thank God for being able to tape shows.

24 Culinary Boner { 05.21.14 at 4:57 pm }

Just for you Ali…
an amused bush checking out a brazilian –

25 Sandii { 05.21.14 at 5:20 pm }

CB classic gold!

26 Techhater { 05.21.14 at 5:45 pm }

CB Brilliant. 😳

I’ve actually thought the same thing about messy hair. Sam, Laura and Georgia some of the time. Maybe Ch10’s make-up dept had to make cut backs in order to finance this year’s season.

But i do think it’s much better than the last few seasons.

27 daisy { 05.21.14 at 6:03 pm }

No way TH. I am just glad they aren’t getting worked on by the MKR hair and make-up dept.

28 Smythe { 05.21.14 at 6:22 pm }

In the next dessert challenge the judges will exclaim, “This is the more bestest of the best pastry crust ever in MC history.”

Ch10 did have to make cut backs w/ hairdressing and makeup in order to finance Matt Preston’s ascots and clothing.

29 brain dead dave { 05.21.14 at 6:59 pm }

I just saw Michael Weldon, ( Ma$terchef runner up in Kate Bracks’year) down at the local supermarket. Not Coles.

I bet he’s loving the “this is the supreme overlord of all pastries ever realised in the Ma$terchef Kitchin” superlatives the out of touch judges are literally groping for.

30 Techhater { 05.21.14 at 7:00 pm }

When Tracey said she could see a thread, i was thinking it was definitely a hair, and to be honest I’m surprised we haven’t seen hair all over the place.

31 Littlepetal { 05.21.14 at 7:58 pm }

Interesting challenge tonight

32 Sugarcube { 05.21.14 at 10:53 pm }

A lemon curd tart in an immunity challenge?
Pastry. Curd. And a poorly executed meringue? It’s not even difficult or impressive. One of those things you eat and think “oh yeah, that was okay” – definitely not worthy of an immunity pin challenge!!!
Finding this season pretty boring to be honest, and you can already tell who the protected species of this year are!! Byron, Tracy, and Laura. God knows why because I don’t really find any of them that appealing. Ben, Colin, Sarah and Brent I am loving but!!!