Masterchef Australia – The Two Hatted Challenge

George and Gary busted into the Masterchef contestant’s house but they refrained from going into their bedrooms. Instead they spent their time making smoothies (not green ones) and fruit in a bowl.

Then they gave the contestant’s a mensa test asking them what they noticed. Apart from the product placement they recognised the different red and blue bowls. Hence they had been assigned teams.

They then had to assign captains. Jamie was the captain for the red team and for some bizarre reason it was argued that Sarah should be captain again for the blue team. And she accepted  was she being thrown under a bus?

The challenge was each team to go to their appointed two hatted restaurants Cutler and Co or Ezard and memorise three dishes, an entree, a main, and a dessert. The Blue team had Ezard where the entree was a Trout with Olive Jam and Smoked Yoghurt with some Quinoa thrown in there. The main was Mullaway with a Broth and noodle salad and dessert was Fromage Frais Cheesecake with honey jelly and a crumble.

The red team had Cutler and Co their dishes looked like they had less elements in them. The entree was Marron with salad and a Watercress Puree, main was Wagyu Silverside and dessert was a Sauterne Pannacotta.

They then had 30 minutes to get each course out, and to be fair what came out was pretty good.

The red team had  time pressure with their marron dish and it was unclear whether they were going to penalised for not getting it done.  Their entree did not look like Cutler & Co’s, but Andrew McDonnell the chef there said he was happy with the flavour. Matt said his marron was undercooked and Gary thought the watercress puree lacked balance.

Gary, George and Matt loved the blue’s trout entree but we did not get to hear what Ezard’s chef thought.  Their main was not so praised with George saying he did not like the sweetness in the broth that the blue team plated up.

The red team clawed back on their main which was Wagyu Silverside with Matt saying he would be happy if he had that dish served to him at Cutler and Co. It did look good.

Both teams had issues with dessert. Amy had carriage for it in the blue team and was getting a bit antsy at Tash to do the honey jelly. She did forget and only allowed her 20 minutes to get it set so it turned into a blob on the plate. However the judges liked the rest of the elements and apparently the crumble was even better then Teage’s. Well so Gary said.

The red team were having a disaster with the pannacotta as the caramel would not come out. Emelia the pannacotta queen saying she was feeling bad about handing the sauterne pannacotta over to someone else to do.  Which was her way of saying this is not my fault.

The red team’s dessert was a miss not only the lack of caramel but also the lack of syrup. It was obvious the blue team were going to win and they did.

Does this mean Sarah will end up being captain again?

Elimination challenge tonight on TEN at 7.30pm

1 Joseph Skyrim { 05.22.14 at 2:11 pm }

Does Sarah now have the best Captain win:loss ratio in MC? (2:0) 😛 I’m surprised that the girls managed to remember those numbers, and more surprised their counterparts didn’t ASK about things like how to put caramel on the panacotta! What did they do with their hour with the chef guy?

2 Littlepetal { 05.22.14 at 2:50 pm }

Maybe we didnt get to see how Jamie and Emelia get info from the chef.

But we did hear Jamie said the dishes were not difficult and Emelia admitted about not asking how to get the caramel in and out of the moulds. I felt that both Jamie and Amelia were too arrogant with the attitudes that they know all. Emelia keep saying pannacotta is easy.

I thought the blue dishes were more difficult to replicate. I wonder whether the producers have decided who goes to which team. Look like the better cooks were on the blue team

I like this challenge and it was a difficult one at this stage of the comp.

Last year mob would not be able to do it. Yoy will have Emma crying her eyes out.

3 emp { 05.22.14 at 2:50 pm }

Jaime and Emelia were way too cocky, unlucky for them

4 Anonymous { 05.22.14 at 2:51 pm }

Snap, emp

5 Evan { 05.22.14 at 2:57 pm }

The blue team definitely had the harder or more technical dishes to replicate, and yes, the red team were far too cocky & complacent(or at least captain Jamie was).
It is a 2 hour episode tonight – an elimination challenge, and then a masterclass(featuring Maggie Beer)

6 brain dead dave { 05.22.14 at 2:58 pm }

Add marron to the growing list of food Sean has never cooked before. Marron is usually on Ma$terchef every year. Even under cooked Jowl$y loves it.

Jamie’s vastly over rated. He’s been telling us for weeks now that he knows what he’s doing.

Not fond of Renae’s mole cut hairstyle. It’s everywhere.

Ten minutes to cook with three ingredients tonight, too.

7 magsy { 05.22.14 at 3:10 pm }

I just flew to Karratha from Perth today and Nicole from Masterchef was one of the crew :-) Was going to say something but wasn’t sure it was her at first. Anyway, she was lovely and super friendly. That’s all :)

8 nibehlung { 05.22.14 at 3:24 pm }

* Frankly, the idea that the group leaders have to memorize the dish is ridiculous. This is not brain matter quiz show. If accuracy and exact taste of the dish is important then don’t fuck around and tell the amateur cooks that they should memorize every single elements of the dish. Not being able to jot down the details is *especially* stupid.

* The red team leaders underestimated the difficulty of their dishes. Whereas Sarah and Tash from Blue team were sweating, trying hard to remember every single details of their dishes, Jamie and especially, Emelia, seem to think that their dish would have been easy and didn’t bother to ask for a lot of details on how the dishes should be cooked/presented.

* Maybe it’s just me but I found Andrew whatshisname (red team 2-hatted chef) to be quite arrogant and he’s not even consistent in the presentation of his own dish. The first dish he showed to red team clearly had the marron plated with the green sauce on prominent display with the vegies plated opposite it. The second dish he brought with him had that sauce hidden or otherwise very close to the vegies and therefore can’t be seen easily.

* Having said that, I was happy that Blue team won because with the exception of Jamie and Brent, there’s no one else I root for in Red team. Meanwhile Blue had Tash, Scott, Sarah, and Laura.

9 Littlepetal { 05.22.14 at 3:30 pm }

We havent seen much of Brent and Colin. I think Brent could be the dark horse.

Tracy is losing the plot again tonight. She wont last if she can handle pressure.

10 Adrianna { 05.22.14 at 4:30 pm }

I’m actually suprised that I’m liking Sarah. She knows her stuff and has been quite good as captain, not bossy or cocky. On the other hand, Tash didn’t come off too well last night. Didn’t like the way she was going on how Sarah should be captain again which was kinda, er, silly.
Definitely was rooting for the blue team and glad they won.

11 Smythe { 05.22.14 at 4:50 pm }

Also glad the blue team won. Was surprised that Jamie and Emilie thought that the dishes their team had to cook would be easy. They came off cocky and arrogant rather than self-assured.

There is something missing from the program: excitement and energy. It just seems to drone on and I find myself falling asleep when trying to watch it.

12 Littlepetal { 05.22.14 at 4:58 pm }

Not sure what it is. This year contestants can cook. There were some good challenges and yet the show is dull. Maybe it is getting too predictable.

13 brain dead dave { 05.22.14 at 5:00 pm }

Jowl$y’s bright purple suit is bound to be a show stealer tonight. A lot of children will probably think it’s Fat Cat, telling them it’s time for bed.

14 Simon { 05.22.14 at 5:27 pm }

The memory addition to the challenge seemed like an unnecessary contrivance but the judges did say they felt they needed to ramp up the difficulty given the level of skill compared to previous years.

I’m glad to see Red team in the elimination just for the opportunity for Steven to go. I think his time to go is long overdue, though I get the feeling that they’re projecting Tracey’s elimination in the teaser. I hope I’m wrong.

15 Evan { 05.22.14 at 5:34 pm }

I kinda like Tracey, so I hope the promo is deliberately deceptive.
Steven would be my choice out of that group to go next, and yes, Jamie is becoming a tad too cocky for my liking.
My favourites really are on the blue team – Byron, Scott, Sarah, and even Brent(who we haven’t seen much of yet, but he seems like a nice guy). Colin is another one I want to see more of in the coming episodes.

16 Carole { 05.22.14 at 5:47 pm }

Totally agree nibehlung. I was thinking the whole time what an absolutely stupid fucking challenge it was. Almost as bad as the blind one last year. To expect amateurs to remember such complicated dishes and then cook them in 30 mins was ridiculous. I have a bad memory & no way would I have remembered all that. Even with a recipe they would be difficult. Especially with the desserts where you have to have the exact measurements or it will be completely stuffed up.

If I’d got that dessert with the blueberry sorbet with those 2 tiny blobs, I would have asked where the rest of it was.

I agreed with that guy who would have preferred bacon & eggs to the muesli & smoothies the judges made them. Yuk

Busy night tonight, Amazing Race & Survivor finales as well as MasterChef.

17 Benji { 05.22.14 at 6:27 pm }

Guess what?!?!
I am not a self cleaning
DEVICE OR AREA

Take away
cups are
for TAKE AWAY
only
[something I can’t make out]

I felt as if the blue team had a much easier entree. The red team had to cook and peel shellfish. The blue team only had to serve raw fish, which would have saved them about 15 minutes.

Oh, well. Steven will be in danger again tonight, I assume.

18 Littlepetal { 05.22.14 at 7:11 pm }

Stephen is definitely on borrowed time.

19 brain dead dave { 05.22.14 at 7:14 pm }

The vultures are circling over Stephen. Canaries circling Byron.

20 Georgie { 05.22.14 at 8:10 pm }

Holy moly, Jowlsy looks like a giant violet crumble bar.

21 Littlepetal { 05.22.14 at 8:22 pm }

Matt P does amaze us with his tablecloths suits. LOL

22 Georgie { 05.22.14 at 8:42 pm }

Jowlsy says to Emily – “the problem with the banana is it’s too starchy and too oily and I just don’t want to eat any more…”

Surely that’s a good thing?

23 emp { 05.22.14 at 8:42 pm }

Those banana fritters jeeezus…

24 Sandii { 05.22.14 at 8:43 pm }

Wow, the judges are giving Steven the stink eye !

25 Littlepetal { 05.22.14 at 8:49 pm }

Tonight really exposed Emily’s weaknesses. She can cook certain Malaysian dishes well but that’s about it.

Combining Honey and Apricot Jam????

Steven dodged the bullet again.

26 Wildrice { 05.22.14 at 9:17 pm }

We are not all on the east coast; I will refrain from reading comments after M/C goes to air in the east but before here in the west, a few spoilers here

27 daisy { 05.22.14 at 11:19 pm }

Is Jowlsy colour blind or did he grope in the dark for tonight’s outfit?

My friend arrived yesterday with her one year old son wearing a cravat (no decent trendy baby would be caught dead in a bib) and a checked shirt. She obviously has never seen MC.

28 Evan { 05.23.14 at 8:49 am }

Ugh at those banana things Emily served up, no wonder the judges sent her packing!
If Steven and Sean keep ending up in pressure tests, their luck will run out soon enough.
I think that Ben and Tracy are serious contenders for the title, assuming that Tracy can get over her nerves and anxiety issues.
Happy that the Masterclass episode last night returned to the previous format of the chefs cooking for just the contestants, and Dalesford looks like a very pretty place.
Which contestant got the most number of screen shots last night? Byron………..the camera loves him.

29 Smythe { 05.23.14 at 10:44 am }

With that suit and cravat combination I could picture Matt wearing a ringmaster’s hat as he introduced various circus acts.

Those banana fritters were disgusting. Emily was very limited in the type of foods she could cook. Steven should be eliminated next. He was very lucky w/ the mutilated John Dory that he cooked.

30 Roo { 05.23.14 at 11:22 am }

The more smug Emilia banged on about her expertise with panna cotta (aka bringing about world peace), the more my 1 year old (dog) knew the panna cottas were headed for disaster.

If there was a Logie for stating the fucking obvious/treating the audience like dummies, Masterchef would win hands down.

Having said that, I do like that many of this year’s contestants do appear to be able to cook.