Masterchef Australia – Emily Eliminated Quickly And Without Usual Fanfare

None of the contestants can really complain about the elimination challenges as they get three chances to survive in the game. Emily Loo was eliminated last night from Masterchef Australia and she deserved to be. In the three rounds of the elimination challenge her dishes went from average to disaster.

The challenge was to grab ten ingredients from a table and plate up a dish in 30 minutes. She did Sweet and Sour Chicken but she overdosed it with the cloying sauce. The second round which was cook a dish with six ingredients she made a Dry Fried Crab with Honey and Apricot Jam Dressing. Which looked cloyingly sweet. And lastly her brain finally exploded in the last challenge where they had three ingredients and ten minutes.  It looked like she was going to make Fried Banana Fritters. But then she fried the banana by itself and then dipped it in condensed milk and rolled it in panko crumbs.

The judges did not even bother calling Sean and Steven back in and she was eliminated on the spot.

It must of been bad as Sean’s dish of Liver and Bacon with Raisins looked bad including the fact he braised some of it and pan fried the other part and then mixed it all together.

Steven finally razzled out a good looking dish, maybe he should only cook with a limited amount of ingredients. He hacked out a piece of John Dory with some Samphire and Peanuts.

The three in the bottom deserved to be there and were probably the weakest cooks on the red team. Sean who looked like he did have some skills is probably not long in the game as this is the second week he has struggled through an elimination challenge. And Steven, well he has no hope of making top ten.

There was some good cooking in the early round but Tracy needs to pull herself together if she has a panic attack over not getting the duck. The first round of the elimination challenge was they could use ten ingredients to cook a dish in 30 minutes. In the end her Beef with Mushrooms was said to be delicious and she was the first to be made safe. As was Ben (he has been quiet for a few episodes) with his Lamb and Cauliflower Couscous. Sam also was safe after the first round along with Emelia.

Emelia was still blaming Georgia for the Pannacotta debacle in the prior episode, she needs to get over it. Her dish that made her safe was Baked Coconut and Lime Custard with Toasted Meringue and Crushed Oreos. And because it looked like Pro Hart on a plate George loved it.

Jamie who is faltering on the show managed to get through on round two if he does not improve his chances of making top ten are shaky.

Props to Emily she has a cooking apprenticeship in Brisbane so seems serious in pursuing her cooking career.

1 Littlepetal { 05.23.14 at 11:27 am }

Love Emily passion for food and she reslised she still have alot to learn. She can do some Malsysian dishes well but still doesnt have the skills or taste buds to come up with something innovative.

Unfortunately she has a long way to go with her food dream.

The challenges are difficult this season and really pushed the contestants to think on their feet.

2 Culinary Boner { 05.23.14 at 11:46 am }

The very essence of “Taste-bud Hell on Earth” – a Hello Kitty themed dinner party thrown by Emily, Uel and Channelle… “Hey sweetie pie, perhaps I better add some more sugar to the kilo-and-a-half of sugar that’s already coating the protein hero of our dish*?”

* Pork, crab, chicken, prawns, fish, chorizo, liver, eel…you name it.

3 Littlepetal { 05.23.14 at 12:03 pm }

Emily mentionefe that dhe can’t function eith less than 5 hours of sleep. They are really pushing the contestants and filming for long hours.

Still no excuse for Emily serving banana fritters with uncooked panko crumbs! !

4 emp { 05.23.14 at 12:07 pm }

When they tasted her dish in front of her I knew her time was up

5 Gabby { 05.23.14 at 12:41 pm }

What possessed her? Yuk!
Then Sean’s dish, liver and raisins? I am not immune to liver if cooked correctly with the right accompaniments, but he did it no favours whatsoever.
Cannot see him lasting too much longer. He better try damned hard to stay out of the next elimination challenge.

6 Sugarcube { 05.23.14 at 12:44 pm }

Goodness! It almost seems as though the bottom three should have been the first three eliminated!! I feel bad for Brendan, Deepali, Nicole and Nick now!! I always think it’s a bit unfair for elimination to happen straight away as people are still finding their feet! I can tell you, Sean and Steven will be on their way out soon. And it annoys me that people seem to think Jamie is the best there… Has anyone else noticed that he’s been in the bottom or near the bottom every single challenge? If Sean, Sarah, and Nick hadn’t undercooked their squid, I think Rivers & Lakes would have been an entirely different bottom three.
How Steven wasn’t the first to go I’ll never know.

7 Joseph Skyrim { 05.23.14 at 12:50 pm }

Sad to see Emily go. She has a great attitude and I love her thumbs up expression, respectful bowing, and saying sorry after swearing. Really like Sean’s camera pieces though. Very funny and much like Aaron’s from before.

Asian dude got a lot of bad looks from the judges which I’m not entirely sure is called for. *shrug* Maybe his dishes -were- that bad.

On a slightly different topic I like the opening credits this time around as it seems to have less “directed” pieces for the contestants. Anyone else notice Laura(?) running with scissors? Don’t know why but I found that funny. And dangerous. 😛

8 Evan { 05.23.14 at 12:52 pm }

I reckon that Jamie is greatly overrated, especially by Jamie himself.
Out of the boys, I think that Ben, Scott, Brent and Byron are better than Jamie, based on what I have seen so far.

9 chun { 05.23.14 at 1:03 pm }

Wondering why Kylie Kwong commented that Amy’s Quail with Beetroot Chips was honest in previous episode?
Well, its because cHips don’t lie. 😛
Happy Friday!

10 Ali { 05.23.14 at 1:25 pm }

When Emily said she disgraced the spirit of her ancestors by losing, I thought she was going to take a knife and commit Hara-Kiri right then and there. She would still have done a neater job than the way Steven massacred poor John Dory.

“Sean’s dish of Liver and Bacon with Raisins looked bad including the fact he braised some of it and pan fried the other part and then mixed it all together.”

This is how you make dog food. I mean actual food for dogs.

11 Wild rice { 05.23.14 at 1:33 pm }

News.com.au had a complete article on Emily’s elimination, photo, interview, summary of ep ; all before the ep had even started to be screened in Perth. Frustrating.

12 Anonymous { 05.23.14 at 1:51 pm }

Frustrating that WA’ers cannot after all this time realise that if things are going to air live whether that’s in the US or the Eastern States, if they don’t want any spoilers – stay off the internet!

13 Reality Raver { 05.23.14 at 1:57 pm }

Wild Rice – I guess that it sucks but they only embargo the media release until 15 minutes after the ep finishes.

14 brain dead dave { 05.23.14 at 2:11 pm }

George said words to the effect that marron are one of the most awesome creatures that live in the sea. Except they live in fresh water.

Sean, Steven and Jamie. Hasta la vista,gice.

I fell asleep during Ma$terclarse.

15 Adrianna { 05.23.14 at 2:15 pm }

I agree with Joseph (#7) about the opening credits. Really liking the way the contestants are featured more “naturally” rather than the “fake-throwing-flour-to-the-camera” thing you see every year!
Emily’s brains must’ve been fried with all the pressure. But not surprised with her elimination, cos she hasn’t really shown a different side, apart from good Asian food.

16 Culinary Boner { 05.23.14 at 2:18 pm }

Sean’s cooking described in nutshell (nods to Ali) – http://m.memegen.com/6968pe.jpg

17 Gidgitvonlarue { 05.23.14 at 2:45 pm }

They should really have booted all three of them last night. What a mess. Emily was certainly the worst and lets face it – she really could not cook well at all and didn’t have a clue. I don’t see Steve? hanging around much longer either. He does not seem to understand flavours. There was really a lot of very basic cooking last night. Best cooks of any season? I’m yet to see that to be honest.

18 nibehlung { 05.23.14 at 3:13 pm }

“On a slightly different topic I like the opening credits this time around as it seems to have less “directed” pieces for the contestants. ”

Ha ha, yeah, the opening this time around makes it less obvious that a certain contestant is the mascot of the season. Linton is sexy as fuck but you can tell that he was the mascot of series 5 of Masterchef Australia from the lingering shot of him winking while taking off his bush hat at the end of the opening.

As for last night, OMG, those bottom 3 were the worst final 3. I’d have eliminated all 3 without blinking an eye. Emily’s problem is that her knowledge of cooking is too limited to asian cooking, or rather Malaysian-Chinese cuisine. But Malaysian cooking is more than just the Chinese variety. Her inability to cook a good Pisang Goreng (fried banana fritters) properly was puzzling. Did she get nervous and forgotten to dip her banana in sweet milk then the crumb before frying it or was she trying to be experimental? But elimination is not the time to be experimental (her Pisang Goreng) or boring (Sweet and Sour Pork, really?).

Steven and Sean were equally useless. I won’t be surprised if they get the boot soon. I’m kind of disappointed in Jamie now and wondering if I’ve been over-assessing his ability.

19 Littlepetal { 05.23.14 at 3:19 pm }

To be fair to the 3 cooking with 3 ingredients in 10 mins, we don’t know what was available. It was a tough challenge, I have to say.

In saying that, no excuse for Emily serving uncooked Panko crumbs.

20 Littlepetal { 05.23.14 at 3:24 pm }

The starting of last night episode did show who were at the Masterclass and you can work out who were safe.

21 Bel { 05.23.14 at 3:29 pm }

I want to thank RR & the posters here for ‘keeping me up’ on MC. I haven’t been watching this year (Big departure; I watched every episode of every season until this year). My DP loathes it – calls it MasterBlouse- and he’s doing such long work days I’d feel bad forcing him into this every night. He doesn’t force me to watch an hour of TopGear every night so I should extend the courtesy, iykwim.

Funny thing is, I don’t need watch to keep up. Between this blog, the Ch 10 promos and news.com/dailymail.com, it’s as if I’ve seen it all. Please keep it up!

And, special mention to BDD. You are particularly hilarious & your comments put a spring in my step when I read them in the morning.

22 Littlepetal { 05.23.14 at 3:37 pm }

Masterchef home is now for sale. If there is another season, will it be filmed in another state?

23 brain dead dave { 05.23.14 at 5:32 pm }

Yes. A state of inertia.

Thanks for the kind words,Bel.

24 EmTee { 05.23.14 at 10:29 pm }

Wish they’d now dispense with the repetitive “best cooks evah”, “the hardest challenge evah”, “the best pastry evah” balderdash. Hard to stomach such supercilious superlatives when the crash and burn dishes are possibly “the worst evah”…
Emily’s efforts last night are a case in point and the boys were lucky she bombed so badly they almost looked good.

25 Fiona { 05.24.14 at 12:02 am }

I’ve only watched half of last season and all of this season so far, for me these are the best cooks ever (that I’ve seen).
I felt really bad for Emily, I thought she was sweet. She did Fuck up though, at least she has become an apprentice instead of making a food blog or starting a catering company. Good for her.

26 Littlepetal { 05.24.14 at 10:54 am }

Emily is not ready yet to start a food blog or a catering business. She still have a lot to learn. Hopefullu the apprenticeship is a long term one. I noticed with previous MC contestants they just spend a few weeks with a chef and called that apprenticeship.

27 Littlepetal { 05.24.14 at 11:02 am }

I wonder how long can Sean survive the elimination challenges. He could be like Jonathan, never say die.

28 Andrea { 05.24.14 at 11:05 am }

Wasn’t Emily really good at first?
How can she go from that to fried bananas?
Doesn’t make sense, I liked her too , she was a humble person.

29 Littlepetal { 05.24.14 at 12:05 pm }

Emily was only good with a few Malaysian dishes and she is not good enough to play with flavours or techniques.

30 all happening { 05.24.14 at 12:07 pm }

LP, I saw Emily on ch7 news in Brisbane and she is doing TAFE study and the full work commitments of an apprenticeship. Jowlsey came into the restaurant to see her in the story.
I was disappointed that she was eliminated.

31 Littlepetal { 05.24.14 at 12:14 pm }

Thanks,all happening. Good to know that she realised she has lots to learn and is learning. She has the passion and need to understand about techniques and flavours.

So George and Gary should stop saying we have the best cooks.

32 Ali { 05.24.14 at 2:18 pm }

CB, I thought you would appreciate this from today’s Age Odd Spot:

“A Facebook page for people who find hamsters’ bums cute is attracting thousands of followers in Japan. The Hamuketsu page – named for a combination of the Japanese words for hamster and bottoms – feature hundreds of photo of hamsters’ backsides. Meanwhile, more than 40,000 copies of a Hamuketsu photo book have been sold.”

In one of the weirdest word associations eva, there is a Bertocchi logo adjoined to this article. Maybe they got excited when they saw “Ham”; or hamsters are stacked like salamis; or Bertocchi products taste like they are made from hamster bums.

33 Benji { 05.24.14 at 4:13 pm }

@brain dead dave
Gary called marron a “fish” as well…

Since when do the judges taste the food in front of the contestants in an elimination? I know they were eager to get rid of her, but that was really unusual.

@nibehlung
Beyond its literal meaning, I wouldn’t call Emily’s dish pisang goreng. Pisang goreng is always battered instead of crumbed. Plus, they were the wrong kind of bananas, too.
Emily’s sweet and sour chicken seemed okay, but her plating was really weak throughout the competition.

I’m not sure about this “Emily is only good at Malaysian” cuisine thing. If I recall, her Sarawak laksa didn’t get a great reception from the judges. So I’m not sure that she’s that good of a Malaysian cook, either.
On the other hand, her cooking was heavily East Malaysian-influenced and not the usual Peranakan fare that we identify with Malaysian cuisine in Australia. I think she suffered from that difference in perception. (Imagine going to an Italian restaurant and tasting northern Italian cooking, with its butters and French and Germanic influence. Sure, it’s Italian, but you’d be there wondering where all the olive oil and tomatoes are.)

Good on Emily for taking on an apprenticeship, though, which is probably what some of the younger contestants should be doing. [coughcough20yearoldSteven]
Is it just me, or does Steven look a lot older than 20?

34 Littlepetal { 05.24.14 at 5:04 pm }

I thought the judges were very impressed with her Sarawak Laksa. I cant tell from the recipe whether it was good or not as I have never eaten Sarawak Laksa.
Agree that she is cooking mainly East Malaysian dishes and not the usual Malaysian dishes which again is different from the Peranakan/Nyonya flavours.

Look like she is the first contestant from MC that is taking the food dream seriously and start from the bottom. Not like those saying they really really want to be in the food business but not doing anything to improve their skills except wanting to win the $250K.

Just like Nick. He is only so so with pastry and still need to improve.

Stephen does look older than 20 years old.

35 Marepoppin { 05.24.14 at 5:26 pm }

I’ve not been watching much but all I have to do to find out who gets alliminated is log onto RR and read the post title. RR, you stopped doing this a few seasons ago, why are you spoiling episodes again? I like to find out by reading the whole article; not much point when the kicker is in the title…

36 Reality Raver { 05.24.14 at 6:09 pm }

Marepoppin -= Point taken. The reason I did it with this one was I WAS sooo late with the recap and also the first sentence was saying that she was gone.

37 Sugarcube { 05.25.14 at 10:09 am }

The issue here is that contestants do their best with their skill set and the Ten promo team make them seem incredible.
Emily was talked up so much in the ads, yet you barely saw her cook anything apart from her laksa, the Malaysian sponge and then her elimination dishes.
Nick was similar – he produced some good looking desserts – the top 50 tart, mystery box, and the choc mousse team challenge tart, but all the contestants go on there to learn and unfortunately so far all these eliminations have happened before they have a chance to learn and grow.
Honestly – how Steven beat both Emily and Nick so far is beyond me. When Emily and Nick were good, they were great, but when they were bad, it’s just they were bad. Steven hasn’t put up anything good and he’s lucky that Emily messed up so badly. I personally would have liked to have seen both Emily and Nick (and even Brendan!) go further, but that’s the competition.
Starting to think Steven is a little bit of a protected species…

38 Littlepetal { 05.25.14 at 10:26 am }

You are right Sugarcube with your comment. Let see how long or how many elimination challenges Stephen can survive.

39 daisy { 05.25.14 at 10:35 am }

Hey RR, Hoe about going for titles like “Aniston Pregnancy Shock”
(Real story…Aniston shocked shhe saw a pregnant lady).
Or “Wedding bells for Nick and Emily” ( N and E made a wedding cake and put bells on it). That way we could get excited but the story would remain a mystery. 😉

40 Littlepetal { 05.25.14 at 10:38 am }

I read this in the Sydney Confidential about Byron:

It said the deckhand turned chef? has become one of the most popular contestants on MC.

‘Its been pretty crazy the amount of attention-its quite humbling I guess,”he said.”I still feel like I am in a dream world.

Bryon is hoping to soon gain his certificate to become a chef and hasn’t ruled out working overseas again or relocating. “Its definitely an exciting time.” he said.

How do you gain a certificate to become a chef unless it is from Tafe?

41 Littlepetal { 05.25.14 at 10:41 am }

Love your post headlines. Attention grabbing. Like those on gossip magazines.

42 Carole { 05.25.14 at 7:05 pm }

Sean is very lucky, he would have been a goner if it wasn’t for Emily’s really bad banana fritters. That liver looked revolting and besides it was liver.

43 Littlepetal { 05.25.14 at 7:35 pm }

Now Matt P has used the tablecloth for his pants!

44 emp { 05.25.14 at 7:37 pm }

i wouldnt eat anything sourced from the press club after the food poisoning incident of ’14.

45 Bel { 05.25.14 at 7:50 pm }

I ate at The Press Club once (and no-one can take that away from me) however, it was nothing to write home about. Very tricksy and fancy but was itching to stop for a burger on the way back to the office.

All on the boss’ Amex. George et al know that if the tax laws were changed their business model would crumble faster than the edible dirt on their plates.

46 Evan { 05.25.14 at 11:12 pm }

Surely Steven has used up all of his 9 lives? I guess he or Scott will get eliminated tomorrow night.
And Byron must be eliminated fairly soon too, otherwise why would he be allowed to do interviews with News Ltd?

47 Littlepetal { 05.26.14 at 12:01 am }

Not much on Georgia lately. Didn’t see what she has cooked tonight. Neither did we see what Sean managed to put up.

Steven is good at following recipe. Maybe safe to fight another day.

48 Sandii { 05.26.14 at 6:44 am }

Littlepetal, I thought that renae’s pumpkin ice-cream / sliced pumpkin would have been worse than Scotts veggie pie.

49 Littlepetal { 05.26.14 at 8:25 am }

There will be another season on Masterchef next year. Good for C10.

Sandii- maybe Renae showed some technique with the pumpkin ice cream.

Byron dish was just some grilled zucchini and dip? Not great either.

50 Adam { 10.10.14 at 10:31 pm }

I think Emily’s fake. I watched the episode where they introduced the contestants and she said it was hard to grow up in Malaysia as she come from a poor family. Then they show a photo of her playing piano when she was a little girl. Poor? Really? Clearly trying to get sympathy from judges and viewers.