The Voice Australia – The First Battle Round – Two Singers Already Saved

Finally the battle rounds and Kylie’s team was up first and it looked like they were picking the battles on skin colour with Maybelle Galuvao versus Johnny Rollins kicking it off singing Rolling In The Deep. Johnny the drummer looked like he was  going to be completely psyched out by the song. The stylist seems to be dressing everyone like sexy office workers going out of a Friday night. Kylie earlier for the group song had worn a short leather skirt with a striped shirt with white stilettos, and Maybelle was a black pencil skirt with a pink shirt. Johnny Rollins did not tank it and was stronger at the start but Maybelle hit the higher notes at the end but by then it was too late and Kylie picked Johnny to go through to the live shows.

Team Ricky was up next with Fely Irvine V Mia Morrissey singing Young And Beautiful. Apparently they were BFFs after meeting last year so of course were in tears. This was the audition of the night for me. Fely was looking very sexy in a black short cat suit and Mia was looking innocently sultry in a floral number. Mia was looking far more nervous then the former Hi-5 band member.  Both girl’s sang beautifully the song did showcase Mia’s voice better but Ricky decided to go with Fely. No one came in to use their save. I was surprised considering who was saved later on. But like the blind auditions these battle rounds are not seen in the running order.

Next up it was Julian Simonsz v Krishool from Team Will  singing Superstition. Krishool never had a hope as he voice was always weak and it did not matter how hard he danced it was not going to save him. The highlight was seeing Julian’s wife going nuts in the audience. She reminded me of the woman in this clip from Diary of A Wimpy Kid.

Then from Team Joel it was Holly Tapp and Courtney Hale singing Addicted To You.  Courtney is what happens when you put your kids into child beauty pageants. She was very in your face wanting her moment in the the spotlight. Joel had to tell Holly to “man up” and not be intimidated. Holly was so psyched out and as she thought she was up against someone so creative and cool. She was up against a narcissist who was there to win. Courtney pranced and preened around the stage like she had been tasered but Holly just ignored her. Will.i.am was looking at Courtney laughing clearly was wondering how much of a hellcat she would be in bed.  Confirming this when he said he was activated. But Joel decided to go with Holly. A wise decision as no one was going to vote for Courtney after THAT edit.

Robbie Balmer v Jackson  Thomas singing Strong. Robbie has the young Chris Martin vibe going but if he hunches over the microphone the whole time it could get tedious in the live shows. Jackson’s falsetto was amazing…at times, but there were a few bum notes. I thought Robbie was going to wipe the floor but at the end I would have picked Jackson. Will.i.am thinks Robbie has a thing and Kylie went for Robbie. Interesting the home coach went for Jackson. But Ricky saved him which was slightly surprising as neither of this pair have winner stamped on their foreheads.

Last up it was Team Ricky time and it was Jess Burney versus Elly Oh singing El O Mio Babbino Caro. What was the point of having them sing opera as they won’t be able to in the live shows.  Jess has never had her voice trained which was quite amazing but now the blinds are over it is about the looks and marketing comes into it was Elly Oh that was picked by Ricky. However Jess need not have panicked as both Joel and Will.i.am buzzed into save her and she chose Joel. Maybe they think she will have an interesting journey and she might but I think she needs to work on her stage presence.

Who did you like in the first battle round?

The Voice Australia battle rounds continue on Monday at 7.30am on NINE.

1 ziii { 05.26.14 at 12:22 am }

Sophia-Grace who appears on Ellen from time to time will probably turn into Courtney.

I liked Jackson. Robbie was good, and does have that intriguing thing going on.

2 daisy { 05.26.14 at 12:34 am }

Me too ziii. I was surprised they didn’t choose Jackson with that lovely tone in his voice.

3 Eliza { 05.26.14 at 12:47 am }

Oh, poor Sophia Grace! I hope not…

The first battle was so-so – the better contestant won. Fely vs Mia was pretty good as I do like the song. Man, Mia has to be Stephanie Rice’s doppleganger though! I preferred Fely. I felt like it was more battle of the legs though.. yes I am jealous with my stubby legs. When will they advance that stretching technology they used as torture in umm the middle ages?

Julian vs Krishool was boring. I love the Diary of a Whimpy Kid movies though.. haha yes, she did look like the mum from the movie.

I was so glad that Courtney got the boot. She was so utterly irritating it was painful. The type of person that just wants to suck all the energy out of you.

Robbie vs Jackson was prob my fav and I am pretty glad that Ricky saved Jackson, even though I didn’t really like him at first. I ff though his rendition of Royals. Will.i.am is right, Robbie does have that something about him.

I am not that fussed about Elly or Jess but will be interesting to see what Joel does with Jess.

Really wish they would get through more each episode though.. it’s dragging on so much!

4 Deano { 05.26.14 at 6:12 am }

Holly is a young filly, easily distracted by others in the race. Fortunately, she got through. Generally, producers like people like Courtney to get viewers venting and going off. Courtney picked the wrong rtv show. More suited to big brother or MKR

5 nadia { 05.26.14 at 7:41 am }

In the battle of Courtney vs Holly, I am glad that Holly got through. Courtney was just far too aggressive and in your face. It wasn’t fair to put her with someone who was clearly going to be intimidated. I think in some cases less is more. Courtney would do well in musical theatre.

6 daisy { 05.26.14 at 10:03 am }

After Toxic, I thought Courtney might be quirky like Kyomi. But in the end I think herdoting mums hsd just made her vain and precocious. She might have been very difficult for the coaches to manave too as she was very much making up her own mind.
I think also basically Joel probably thought the other girl was a nicer pedson.

7 daisy { 05.26.14 at 10:27 am }

I liked Mia better last night but the coaches probably take other things into account. Both girls were stunning, not just in looks but in grace too. And it was a close call.
I am sure Mia will be fine, with her looks, voice, poise and contacts.

8 Anonymous { 05.26.14 at 11:24 am }

I don’t understand how anyone could have liked Mia – she sounded like she had marbles in her mouth or was muffled with a sock or something.

9 Ryan { 05.26.14 at 11:47 am }

It was nothing about looks, Elly was clearly the better singer out of the two, and should be considering she’s professionally trained. It’s not like either of them were super hot-looking, and both can clearly sing. I think both are going to do rather well in the competition, Jess has the ‘story’ to keep her around, and is really good for someone untrained.

10 Deano { 05.26.14 at 12:37 pm }

I’m interested what Joel can do for Jess. Voice makeover? Joel said she won’t be doing any more opera. Thank The Lord…
Her compelling story can’t take her any further. Jess needs to start stepping up

11 Ryan { 05.26.14 at 12:46 pm }

I have a feeling, like it or not, her story could take her all the way. It worked for Karise, and Jess has a much better voice than her.

12 emp { 05.26.14 at 9:17 pm }

Louise and Jade were both awful tonight, shoulda sent them both home

13 anon { 05.27.14 at 11:11 am }

Ha! Will let out what we already figured out, when addressing Anya. He said, “The industry works like this: every so often someone comes along who everyone wants to work with. They perform well, they look hot and they sing sometimes kinda well. Hell they don’t even have to sing well.
I’m thinking JLo right of the bat. Katy Perry, perhaps Beyonce.
Thanks for your honesty Will.