House Rules – The Queensland Reno Kicks Off

Maddi and Lloyd have a Queenslander that is on a slope but that was not the biggest problem as the contestant’s from the southern states were struggling with the heat. But they were pretty happy that they finally found out that Lloyd was an aviation fire fighter as his uniforms were the only things left in his wardrobe. Also a Cowboys Staff handbook was strategically left on the ironing board so that outed Maddi.

Carole and Russell got to pick their and the other teams zone.

They gave the kitchen and guest bedroom to Adam and Lisa. Brooke and Grant got the master bedroom with walk in wardrobe and half the deck, Bomber and Mel got the entry, dining room, laundry and deck, Carole and Russell took the living room and ensuite, and Candy got the bathroom, hall and study to Candy and Ryan.

Adam and Lisa were going to have to sleep in a tent until Carole and Russell offered to swap with them. They declined so Carole got to look like a saint but without the sacrifice.

The house rules were:

1. Give us a laid back coastal paridise

2. Add a splah of the Bahamas

3. Furnish our kitchen with a dream island

4. Layer in texture instead of colour

5. Keep it organic.

Maddi on leaving told them to renovate keeping in mind of the tropical conditions. Speaking of tropical conditions the Producers got a gratuitous shot of the couple in their swimmers on the beach.

Russell and Grant were demarcating over space for their ensuite and walk in wardrobe. Brooke came in and told Grant to not to back down. He did and Brooke said if we lose don’t blame me.

But first the absestos had to be removed from the bathroom. When work started again for the demolition it looked like Lisa and Candy were going to hit each other on the heads as they struggled to take out a wardrobe.

Another reno and it was another injury for Bomber. He scraped the ceiling and cute his skin. It was a one inch cut but he was off to the medic groaning. As Ryan pointed out he had a cut that was ten times bigger and he did not limp off seeking medical attention.

The episode ended with Russell and Carole rekindling their love but thankfully this was G rated and just involved clinking of champagne glasses.

1 Eliza { 05.28.14 at 2:43 am }

I liked the way Carol & Russell divided up the zones… I found the juxtaposition of last week’s constant positivity toward Brooke & Grant to tonight’s negativity interesting! I am no fan of their’s but found all of the scoring from their house reveal to be off. The judges scores were WTF and B&G must have really loved that bathroom Bomber & Mel did for them to deserve the score they got. That bedroom was an absolute mess! C&R were deserved winners.. I knew they would bounce back. Adam & Lisa did an amazing job with the laundry though!! Shame their bedroom was also a disaster.

2 Fijane { 05.28.14 at 7:32 am }

I was so annoyed to hear Carole and Russell offer to take the tent. Once again poor, little beautiful Lisa with her sob story was offered preferential treatment. I’d love to see Mel given a ‘reward’ for all her real hard work and can-do attitude. Lisa needs to drop the princess act, and Adam needs to wake up and stop babying her.

3 Myra { 05.28.14 at 8:24 am }

I thought it was a very sweet offer from Carole and Russell to Lisa and Adam. Any good scoring that Bomber and Mel get doesn’t come from his effort. What a lazy oof! I love Mel. She is her own team. Did anyone notice the commercial ad they showed had five of the couples getting into the SUV but it wasn’t Brooke and Grant hmmmmmm! I think the producers are setting us up for Brooke and Grant’s failure!

4 all happening { 05.28.14 at 8:37 am }

Why are B&G using hessian on the ceiling. As a resident of the tropics, I can tell you that will be a disaster. The geckos will love having it for their playground and toilet, the insects that hatch on a warm night and then die will have a comfy grave and the mould will grow beautifully.
I didn’t different like the fans throughout the house. Another case of pick one style and go with it in all rooms.
Bomber needs balls.

5 Colleen { 05.28.14 at 9:13 am }

Definitely a gender switch between Bomber and Mel, thankfully Mel has two times the balls, one of the other couples even commented on how awesome she is. Adam and Lisa have grown on me, they are now my favourite couple but as a single Mel wins all the way. I hope it’s her house that is renovated, not his. Is it even possible to own a house together after only a few months dating?

So nothing is happening with the slanted house? No big crane? Promos went nowhere yet again.

6 all happening { 05.28.14 at 9:44 am }

It is Mel’s house that is being reno’d, Colleen. I liked the division of zones by C&R. The look on Tassie devils face was priceless. Kudos to Lisa really putting in such hard work while Brooke carried a piece of board.
Btw the restaurant that C&R went to was lovely last time we were there.

7 Veronicali { 05.28.14 at 10:05 am }

Queensland – Spiders in the Flowers.

I thought Carole & Gapper must’ve realised they get more done living on-site, hence the offer to swap. Good on Lisa for sticking it out in the tent, and getting stuck into the demolition. (That was the quietest air-conditioner ever in their tent?!)

Brooke & Grant should’ve had to tent it as well, since they tied for last the week before their reno.

To be fair to Bomber, those looked like gouges out of his leg, not just cuts. And he didn’t go to the pub I mean shopping after.

Colleen @5 there was an article that said Mel bought the house.

8 Gabby { 05.28.14 at 10:31 am }

I am so pleased it is Mel’s house, thanks a.h. and Veronicali.
I hold my hand up, few days ago I said I like Bom, but he is such a sook and other things he has done this week he has really taken it too far. Before I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but not after this weeks antics. Go Mel, as far as you can from Bom! You don’t need another child.
The zones were divided well.
I hope they get the house rules right this time and don’t ruin it.
I am with you a.h. why would you put hessian on the ceiling, not only in the tropics but anywhere, disgusting but I get what you mean about the climate up there.
Let’s see how they go without using the colours this week. I think M and L are more understated than some of the others.

9 Fijane { 05.28.14 at 10:33 am }

Will we see Adam later in the week with an infection in his leg because he didn’t get it cleaned and covered? I’d be worried in a tropical climate.

10 cuisinaire { 05.28.14 at 10:46 am }

@9 Adam? Ryan maybe. He was gloating about a “scratch” on his leg. Hope his tetanus shots are up to date.

11 Macky Blaise { 05.28.14 at 10:57 am }

Wonderful love ending… Makes me feel in love again… But I wouldf like to prefer loving to travel than having a tragic love ending.

12 cuisinaire { 05.28.14 at 11:00 am }

I know little about house construction but I thought that the promos were suggesting that the house be restumped? Like the Qld home last year.

@4 @8 I laughed when I heard the hessian idea. A tropical version of the “moody boudoir” canopy? The local wildlife and mould will thrive. Surely a “natural” look ceiling fan would be more appropriate.
Uniformity of fans throughout would look more professional. The whole concept of every team doing something different gives each home a “bitsy” look.

13 Smythe { 05.28.14 at 11:23 am }

Carol was being nice offering to exchange places w/ Adam and Lisa or was it really just good strategy so she and Russell would be right there at the building site rather than having to drive back & forth to the hotel. Agree w/ others about the hessian ceiling and cuisinaire #12, I was also thinking that ceiling fan uniformity or at least some matching ceiling fans would look better than having a different ceiling fan in every room where they are placed.

Wish they would tell us the square footage of the homes as well as the rooms in addition to the budgets.

14 daisy { 05.28.14 at 11:41 am }

Smythe, still trembling with excitement and anticipation after last night’s OB. I wish it was on everynight.

15 LB { 05.28.14 at 12:00 pm }

Really interesting to see all the teams happy to help each other out except for Bitchy & Grumpy. Seems like some things never change.

As everyone has said, that hessian draped from the ceiling is incredibly impractical (bugs, dust, etc), let alone hideous. Guess that Brooke & Grant haven’t twigged that organic isn’t brown rice & hessian underpants. The other thing about it is that draping anything from a ceiling cuts the room in half – unless you have amazingly high ceilings, it just turns the room into a cubby house. Didn’t they learn anything from the “moody boudior”? Ugh to both lots of draping.

Adam continues to raise the bar for blokes everywhere – he and Lisa are just a couple of really nice people who genuinely care for each other. Was good to see her putting a fair bit of thought into the design for this week and really stepping up in the demo, hope it pays off for them.

When Ryan & Candy were getting snippy with each other about the lighting, I was wondering why he didn’t go light shopping with her rather than lying around when the asbestos removal was happening.

Which, by the way, must have been a world record for asbestos removal! Either it was a postage stamp sized piece of asbestos (highly unlikely) or they had an army of removalists waiting outside to swing into action (still pretty unlikely to get it done in three hours) or it took more than three hours (much more probable).

16 Smythe { 05.28.14 at 12:54 pm }

Daisy, OB getting more mysterious and more intense! I am wondering if there are a few more clones hidden away somewhere.

17 daisy { 05.28.14 at 12:59 pm }

Smythe, I hope the guy in the rehab turns and helps Alison.
How great was Helena last night!!!!!

18 Smythe { 05.28.14 at 1:12 pm }

I don’t have much faith or trust in Victor, rehab guy.
As for Helena, great acting by Maslany.
And what about Felix & Arthur? LOL at their interactions.

19 daisy { 05.28.14 at 1:20 pm }

Oh Arthur was gorgeous…”Get your hand off my bum”. 😆

And Mrs S was great in the car with Paul.
Damn, we need an OB thread. I am salivating all over again just remembering those scenes. I haven’t deleted a single OB from my rec.

20 Agent 86 { 05.28.14 at 2:15 pm }

Argh! No Orphan Black spoilers please!

I thought the scores for Team Snow White’s house were all over the place, both from the judges (who seemed overly impressed with an impractical kitchen that wasn’t “country” style) and from Team Snow White (who seemed oddly forgiving of Mel and Bomber’s kids room).

At least Maddi and Lloyd’s house isn’t shaping up to be a total disaster, but that could be because it looked pretty great as it was. Other than the sloping floor, which isn’t being fixed, I thought their house was fine, especially given their age. It did seem surprisingly empty of both furtniture and decorative/personal touches.

I hope Adam and Lisa do better this week. They are quite likeable, despite Lisa’s inexperience.

Along with house sizes and room budgets, I really wish they’d be a bit more transparent about how many hours the teams are allowed to spend on-site working. It seems to be that there must be some kind of limit, except for the last night, because the teams go home “early” when they could pull an all-nighter earlier in the week and then be in a better position. I also don’t understand why more shopping (or at least sourcing items) isn’t done online at night.

21 Smythe { 05.28.14 at 3:35 pm }

Daisy, There has to be an OB discussion group somewhere on the ‘net. AND kudos to OB…check out the ratings at Rotten Tomatoes:
No surprise there. It’s an excellent program.

Back to HR….I was surprised, after seeing LM’s house, that they were chosen for HR. Just seemed that the house was very nice and they could possibly afford a reno as well as their mortgage payments. Just an assumption since I have no idea about their financial status. Maybe purchasing the house depleted their funds because it was lacking in furnishings and accessories. Anyone know how long they have had that house?

22 Andrea { 05.28.14 at 5:53 pm }

Why do they have to wait for things to arrive from “the big city” of Brisbane?
Are there no shops in Townsville?, its a big place.

23 Lily { 05.28.14 at 8:35 pm }

You’ll find a discussion group at whirlpool forums for OB.

24 Veronicali { 05.29.14 at 9:47 am }

Looks like there’s only one shop in Townsville – and Carole got there first!
Loved Mel dolling herself up outside the art gallery, a girl’s got to keep her options open.
Brooke being her usual crunty self.

25 Brady { 05.29.14 at 2:21 pm }

not allowed to go to Bunnings?

26 LB { 05.29.14 at 8:09 pm }

Like the way in her piece to camera Mel called Brooke out on her unrelenting nastiness.

Just quietly, I would much rather see vertical panels rather than horizontal ones. They’re called VJ’s – vertical joins, not HJ’s.

Horizontal lines are going to give the illusion of a smaller room. Besides, they look like outdoor weatherboards.

Would be good not to see Grant in his bathers again. Notice Brooke didn’t hit up the pool. I wouldn’t have either with cameras around!!

27 Gabby { 05.29.14 at 9:12 pm }

That Brooke is such a B+*^h! Did you hear the way she carried on when the others had their boards going the wrong way?
I hope to goodness it is not her that gets the 10.

28 Myra { 06.02.14 at 9:28 pm }

OMG It’s getting good! Love Ryan! Ryan put it perfectly. “The karma bus has arrived and it’s parked outside the Tassies’ house”. Adam and Lisa’s kitchen was beautiful! I think Brooke and Grant should have gotten a lower score because they didn’t finish the deck and that master bedroom was horrid. Don’t get me started on that horrible walk-in closet. If Bomber stopped complaining then he would get more work done. Again, any score they get that is good is all due to Mel. I also loved what Carole and Russell did to their zones.