Masterchef Australia – No Immunity Pin Tonight

Brent, Sarah and Tash were cooking it out to see who would be the one to have a crack at an immunity pin on Masterchef. It was a chilli challenge but of course there needed to be a bit of pantomime about it. The hotter the chilli’s used the longer the cooking time. But wait that has to be more drama with Matt Preston reverently bringing out the worlds hottest chilli. It was  the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T chilli is apparently the hottest chilli in the world. It was in a clear plastic box and Matt in hushed tones said you have to wear a face mask and your hands will be numb for two days if you touch it.

Sarah’s halo slipped when she told the judges that they can’t handle too much spice. Gary looked insulted then she said “Well George”.

They had to drawn knives to see who would get to select the chilli’s first. Sarah picked the habanero which gave her 30 minutes to cook.Tash went for the Pequin chillies so she had 20 minutes, and Brent was given cayenne for 15 minutes.

Sarah was making a pork mince samosa with a chilli jam, Tash was being bold and was making a pineapple and chilli sorbet and Brent was doing mussels with chorizo.

They tasted Tasha’s first and George said he loved it because it is fresh. Kylie thought it was clever using the hot with the cold.

Tash said after receiving good reviews “I am feeling confident but I can see Gary has his eye on Sarah’s…..dish down the end”.

Sarah’s chutney turned rock hard and they could not taste it and they could not taste the chilli in the samosas. No chef cook off for her.

One of Brent’s mussel’s had a beard on it and Matt looked at him like there is no great sin. George said the dish was not polished enough and even he wanted a bit more chilli heat in there.

Tash’s dish won and she got to cook off against Ben Cooper of Chin Chin. Chin Chin is one of the trendy restaurants in Melbourne but Ben needs to dump the mohawk it does nothing for him.

After the mutual arse kissing between Kylie Kwong and Ben (he used to work with her) they got on with the challenge.

Tash got an hour and fifteen minutes to cook and Ben chose the core ingredient spices which meant there are no herbs in the pantry.

Tash made spiced deep fried chicken served with a plum sauce. The spice mix was not to her liking so remade it. However this batch did not taste quite right either so she made another lot adding garlic. Then she had issues with her plum sauce and Kylie thought it needed more death so she added some chicken stock. Tash does have some serious cooking skills.

Ben was making a Brazillian Spicy Seafood Stew he said he had not made it 18 years. He decided that he was going to put the flathead in with bones in it. Amy yelled down at him from the balcony that George particularly did not like bones in his food. He almost deserved to win just because he refrained from rolling his eyes at her.

Tash’s chicken was undercooked when she first pulled it out of the deep fryer and Kylie stated the obvious that the judges don’t want undercooked chicken. Duh! She plunged it back in. Hers was the first to be tasted and George said it was super fresh, flavoursome and healthy. Matt thought the sauce was perfect with the chicken.

Then it was time to taste Ben’s stew. The judges loved the complexity of it and Matt thought it was more a curry then a stew and Gary said it was comfort food at its best.

Tash scored 24 out of 30 however Ben won with 28 out of 30 with Gary giving a perfect ten. The other Masterchef contestants were happy with the result because lets face it they don’t someone winning an immunity pin.

1 Jay { 05.28.14 at 8:37 pm }

I wish daisy! Unfortunately no hot doctors or nurses!

2 daisy { 05.28.14 at 8:55 pm }

Well Jay, I was out of action “house arrest” for 3 months from Jan to April while my foot healed after surgery, so I am sympathising.
RR was a great distraction from the isolation.
I hope you are well on the mend too.
Love daisy….now lazy daisy, as I haven’t been working.

3 Jay { 05.28.14 at 9:01 pm }

Thanks daisy was glad to find RR for exactly that reason! I’m avoiding voicing my opinions about tonight’s ep as I know you W.A folk haven’t seen it yet.

4 daisy { 05.28.14 at 9:09 pm }

Ta, I never mind but I think some others do. I just stay off threads when I don’t want to know. Simple as that.

5 Evan { 05.28.14 at 9:38 pm }

Daisy: Katie and Ridge are pukeworthy, that love making scene made want to laugh out loud, it was so lame!
Almost as pukeworthy are Hope and Wyatt.
Drunk Brooke was funny, and she gets even more drunk on tomorrow’s episode at Eric’s house

6 Evan { 05.28.14 at 9:41 pm }

Masterchef tonight: The blue team probably deserved the win, because their centrepiece looked more professional, and they had a better food story.
Not that Byron and Steven did much to contribute to the blue team, except for Byron stuffing up the carrot mixture.
Ameila – wow, she is certainly full of herself, she looked very smug when it was announced that the blues had won.
I wonder who from the red team serves up the dish tomorrow night that makes George sweat like a pig?

7 Littlepetal { 05.28.14 at 9:58 pm }

I can’t understand why Emelia, the pannacotta queen doesn’t give her recipe to Laura to follow or supervise her as she was doing it.

I read Scott think Emelia can win the MC! I hope not.

8 emp { 05.28.14 at 10:06 pm }

Today’s ep was boring, desserts are boring . Everyone saying they want Jamie and Emilia on their team must make their egos huge. You can tell how highly they think of themselves. Jamie isn’t even a good clock.

9 daisy { 05.28.14 at 10:13 pm }

Oh Evan, I have to ff Hope and Wyatt, pashing on and blah, blahing. But I love all the peeping from behind potplant shrubbery that Quinn and Allie do. They are like David Attenborough.

And drunk Brooke was great.

Do you think Rudge smells of garlic, cheese, whiskey , BO and aftershave?

10 Jay { 05.28.14 at 10:19 pm }

Evan 56 you are so right about Emelia looking smug and she didn’t even wait until it was announced. She does come across as having a most unfortunate manner – I also found it interesting that she wasn’t shown actually cooking anything.
I have to agree with you Littlepetal 57 this is the second pannacotta challenge she’s been on the fringe of – I think it’s so if it fails she can pass the blame to the maker (but she’d probably be pretty quick to claim credit if it was a success.

11 daisy { 05.28.14 at 10:21 pm }

Emp, I agree. It reminded me of a primary school project, eg make a farm scene etc.
Also I prefer savoury so sweet overload.
Also, it was annoying to hear them say, “We want this person”. Why don’t they give up and go home now if the contestants themselves have already decided who are the best cooks.

12 Morgan { 05.28.14 at 10:23 pm }

Am I the only one who’s sensing favouritism towards Emelia? The judges have praised her pretty highly over the past few weeks, and she seems like a one-trick pony. And I don’t find her likable at all, she’s seems very smug and arrogant. I think the Red Team deserved to win more, maybe just for their spectacular last dish, which was also the Dish of the Day. But of course they still lost. Also not happy that Steven was on the winning team and safe for another week when it looked like he just bumbled about the entire time. He really should be the one to go next.

13 Littlepetal { 05.28.14 at 10:24 pm }

That was my thoughts on Emelia. If the pannacotta was good, it was her idea, if not good, it will be Laura’s fault.

I can’t imagine last year contestants doing tonight challenge. Emma would have been in tears.

14 Littlepetal { 05.28.14 at 10:26 pm }

Yeap. Steven is safe to fight another day. He is only good when there is a recipe.

15 Jay { 05.28.14 at 10:34 pm }

Unfortunately the contestants that I find annoying are all in the blue team which means someone not so annoying from the red team will be going home. And no Morgan you’re not the only one.

16 Evan { 05.28.14 at 10:39 pm }

I reckon that if it had been up to Matt Preston solely, the red team would have won.
Gary perhaps was more disposed towards the blues.
Where was George tonight, by the way?
Jamie and Emilia are easily the most up themselves this year, why I think I will enjoy either or both of them stuffing up eventually.
Steven is only good if he has a recipe to read.
Byron has done zero lately, his halo has slipped markedly.
Brent is the guy to watch, perhaps Colin too.
Out of the girls, I reckon Tash, Laura, Georgia and Sarah are the standouts.

17 Jay { 05.28.14 at 10:42 pm }

Colin could be the one to watch except that he gets minimal air time. I like him, he’s someone who actually followed his dream (buying the vineyard) and didn’t rely on a TV show to make it happen.

18 Littlepetal { 05.28.14 at 10:43 pm }

Like your analysis, Evan. I also like Rachel.

Tomorrow elimination:
Sean could be going home but if they want to keep the guys, Sam could be the one going home.

19 Littlepetal { 05.28.14 at 10:47 pm }

On the long promo after the episode on The class of 2014, there were lots of shots on Brent, Laura, Georgia and a few more. Brent will go a long way.

20 Simon { 05.28.14 at 11:26 pm }

Morgan #62, I certainly see favouritism from the contestants for Emilia. Don’t know about the judges though otherwise I would have expected her to be in the top groupings a lot more. I don’t get how she’s the dessert queen when the only dessert recipes posted that can in any way be attributed to her are either a panna cotta or fairly simple tarts. Even Brent’s recent strawberry consomme dessert has more interest and complexity than anything I’ve seen her put up.

Really felt bad for Sean tonight. Never thought I’d ever barrack for him but it looked like everything was going perfect and I like the little touch of incorporating his bar experience with the sorbet but to watch him struggle with serving the sorbet was so embarrassing it was hard to watch. Just one mistake at the end. Poor guy can’t catch a break. Oddly, I don’t want him to go tomorrow just this once but he seems to be one of the weakest of the bunch unfortunately.

21 Sugarcube { 05.28.14 at 11:53 pm }

Sean is gonna go I reckon. They can only save him so many times.
Brent will be there for a long time I think. Same with Emelia – I just hope she stops making panna cottas. That’s her fourth this season. What the actual hell?

Any other contestant would be crucified for doing that.

Can’t stand the smug Jamie and Emelia faces. People are calling Jamie “hot”. WTF? Brent all the way.

22 brain dead dave { 05.28.14 at 11:59 pm }

Perhaps a big cement company will want the recipe for Sean’s sorbet…

23 Benji { 05.29.14 at 12:36 am }

Yes, I am so over these panna cottas. It’s literally a four-ingredient dish. There’s barely even any cooking involved. Most of the time you’re just waiting for it to set. I’d like to see the judges rave over macaroni and cheese in the same way, because that’s about the same level of technical difficulty as panna cotta.

24 Smythe { 05.29.14 at 12:44 am }

I am tired of hearing that Emilia is the dessert queen. I believe she has messed up dessert dishes more than once. She is coming off very smug and arrogant. Too bad Georgia did not present the dishes w/ more of a story. She started off telling one but then did not follow through. W/ the red team having the dish of the day one would have assumed they would win but there was no story for the judges. I was actually hoping they would because I wanted Emilia going to elimination.

I was surprised that there were no comments from the diners regarding the dishes. I think it would have been better to not only have the judges rate the dishes but also the diners as well as Darren P.

25 daisy { 05.29.14 at 12:59 am }

Inspired by first course, I went off and constructed a diorama.
Not really. I painted a singlet.

26 Smythe { 05.29.14 at 4:25 am }

Daisy, #75, you actually need to paint more than one based on a theme and present them w/ a story.

I made a series of desserts and lined them up on the dining room table. I then created dog paw and bird talon impression stamps and pushed this into all of the desserts to make it look as if my birds and dogs walked across them.

27 LM { 05.29.14 at 7:49 am }

Just read an article on he daily mail about Georgia in last nights challenge, it reads:
At 18 years old, she’s the youngest constant to make the finals in MasterChef history.

Is this a spoiler? It’s certainly not the finals yet!!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2641569/MasterChef-2014-Georgia-tears-sends-team-elimination.html#ixzz3337gFHVC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

28 daisy { 05.29.14 at 8:08 am }

Smthye@76 😆 followed by an amused sigh.

29 Evan { 05.29.14 at 8:24 am }

Colin could be a dark horse, although I haven’t seen enough of him yet to get excited.
He reminds me of Peter from the 2011 season – similar ages, probably a similar sort of rustic chef to Peter also.
If it is right that Brent is around for a while, great, he comes across as a nice bloke.
Every year, someone on Masterchef is labelled as “the Dessert Queen” – I am really over all of that.

30 nibehlung { 05.29.14 at 10:37 am }

So over Emilia’s smug face. Jamie is cutting it close too.
Of course, predictably, it’s the team that I root the most that has to go through elimination. Oh well, it’s time for Sean to go. He’s the most clueless of them all. I’m still pissed off that Scott got sent home before Sean did.

31 nibehlung { 05.29.14 at 10:44 am }

Forgot to say that Emelia should call herself “One-trick-Panna-cotta” since that’s all she seems to cook on this show.

32 daisy { 05.29.14 at 11:37 am }

Nibehlung@80 😳 you also forgot the ‘for’ after ‘root’.

33 Andrea { 05.29.14 at 11:37 am }

Wish Emilia would go and we could see more of Colin, why do the pretty girls get all the air time?
It should be a guy’s turn to win this year.

34 Littlepetal { 05.29.14 at 12:44 pm }

Its annoying that MC website don’t have the recipes for the 3rd and 4th course from the red team. Especially the 4th course from the red team was the best dish of the day. Are they hiding something??

35 Evan { 05.29.14 at 12:45 pm }

The promo on Channel 10 gives it away who is going home…..clue – it is one of the boys, not Brent.
Colin or Sean, by the looks.

36 brain dead dave { 05.29.14 at 12:49 pm }

Littlepetal~Yes, they want to hide the rort that the Blue Team won only because the protected birds Sarah and Byron are in there. I expected a Red victory and so did Jowl$y, I think.

37 Littlepetal { 05.29.14 at 12:58 pm }

Evan#85. That is my guess!!!! There is a story about this contestant on Woman’s Day. This person won’t be missed.

38 Adrianna { 05.29.14 at 1:40 pm }

I am so over girls, particularly Emilia, and enough of desserts please!
You would think given that MC viewers are mostly female (I think), could we see more attention on the guys purleese.

39 James { 05.29.14 at 2:24 pm }

I love Colin! Love his story, love that he owns a winery, think he’ll succeed regardless of whether or not he wins.
Think he’ll be around for a while but.
Sean is definitely going home tonight. Think Brent, Georgia, Colin and Kira are very strong cooks – they’ll be fine.
Tash but… looks like she didn’t cook down the wine at all for the wine jelly! Did you see what it looked like? Looks like she just added gelatine to wine… and she’s meant to be one of the best? …

40 Ali { 05.29.14 at 2:28 pm }

I am impressed by these contestants’ repertoire of skills used to improvise different elements in a dish. Scott was never going to win against them because he said that Christy Tania’s dessert was the longest recipe he had ever read and contained words he’d never even heard of (possibly “the” and “and”).

Is Emilia a total and utter biatch or just being edited that way? When assessing the panna cotta, she sucked the spoon, rolled her eyes, looked to the ceiling for answers, then spat out: it’s delicious. Meanwhile, Laura was cowering in a yellow puddle, having wet herself in fear. Emilia could’ve gotten straight to the point and said it’s set too hard but tastes great and there’s no time to redo so we’ll go with it. Without seeing the uncut footage, I don’t know how long Emilia deliberated or if she said anything else to reassure Laura.

My least favourite MKR-like moment was Matt Preston repeating at least THREE TIMES how great he thought the theatre was with Sean serving at table but I thought it failed because the first diners’ scoops were okay but everyone else got a lumpen icy shard. Where’s the consistency?

I like we’re not left hanging in faux suspense this year for the winner’s announcement.

41 Geoffrey Tobin { 06.10.14 at 8:50 pm }

Tash so deserved the immunity pin: when the judges were sampling the food in their own blind taste test, they waxed lyrical over hers, stated clearly that it was faultless, and couldn’t stop eating it.

Whereas, they vocalised defects in Benjamin Cooper’s offering.

Yet, after they learnt who’d cooked what, their marks were the opposite to what they’d said before: a “10” to Ben from a judge who’d faulted the dish? Come on! This is such a blatant case of “let’s change the results because the Iron Chef must win”. In this case it was to show favour to Kylie Kwong’s protege in Kylie’s presence.

With all due deference to Kylie of whom I am a fan, Ben is not a star chef, and did not deserve the win. My wife and I have eaten in many locations overseas, and are accustomed to a wide variety of exotic dishes, so we tried the goat dish at Chin Chin, and frankly it was a struggle to eat: it was tasteless, the texture was limp, the colour bland brown – it was slop.

The week at Vic Market, when Tash’s team came last instead of first solely because the men refused to listen to her until only 40 minutes were left of the two hours, was a case of injury added to insult. To make it worse, the men refused to acknowledge her contribution, and the judges let that pass.

As to that other Ben, the contestant who strategises more than he cooks, our opinion of him could not be lower. That the judges do not see his arrogance and unworthiness, is baffling.