Masterchef Australia – A Taste Test With A Twist Leads To An Elimination.

Apologies for lack of a recap of last night’s four course dessert degustation due to ill health. The blue team captained by Emelia won which meant the myth of her being the dessert queen continued. The red team was helmed by young Georgia and even though they were told they had dish of the day with their Blue Cheese Mousse with Red Wine Reduction they still lost as their first two courses were not good. They were up for elimination tonight. Tash who was on that team and is also a great dessert cook seem to be avoiding being captain.

The first round was a taste test with a twist. They had three minutes to taste the dish and two minutes to write it down. The ones they identified were the ingredients the contestants could cook with in the second round. Once they were told it was a blind taste test Georgia burst into tears. Colin was quick to identify it as Gumbo however he only identified 10 ingredients.

Amy named 15 ingredients which was the most identified and at the other end Sam identified seven. They had no pantry staples and they had 45 minutes to cook. Tash and Sean were the only ones that had oil and Colin had butter. The rest were doing without.

Kira was not in a good way as she grabbed a hot pan and burnt it badly she was in tears. Matt went and gave her a pep talk and he told her you just have to beat one person, just don’t be the worst.

Colin’s stuffed chicken was raw when he took it out of the oven. How long was it in there? He had to cut it and pan fry it. His roulade was the first to be tried by the judges and he was told it was the best dish he has cooked thus far.

Kira mad Grilled Prawns with a Spicy Tomato and Kransky Sauce. George told her it was not her best day in the kitchen. He said no technique except for the cooking of the prawns.

Sam’s Chilli Salt Prawns were said to be well cooked, but Gary said he could not taste the chilli salt.

Tash’s Grilled Prawns with Fried Okra and Tomato and Onion Chutney was another good dish from her.

Tomato Soup with Prawn was made by Rachael. Gary did not like the kransky in it. Matt liked the kransky as he thinks it is kind of Rachael. What was he trying to say that she was unsophisticated?

Brent’s chargrilled prawns also came with oysters. Was he the only person to identify this ingredient? He over did the chilli and George’s head turned into a fountain.

Sean cooked up Prawns and Tomato Sauce which was similar to what he made in a previous challenge. George said good flavour but and over cooked prawn. His flat bread fell flat.

The top two dishes were Rachael and Colin. Bottom three were Sean, Kira and Brent and it was Sean who looks like a hobbit was eliminated. It was the correct decision as he has been struggling for the last few weeks.

The other contestants were weeping as they would now be relying on Jamie for cocktail hour.

Sean is working with Eau De Vie’s head chef on their “wacky” degustation menu and is also working on a project which combines his love for food and knowledge of whiskey.

1 Jay { 06.01.14 at 8:54 pm }

Rosie 148 I agree – the more Emilia is featured the more unpleasant she seems and what a nasty piece of work to bag Brent’s pannacotta.

2 Littlepetal { 06.01.14 at 8:58 pm }

I was right. You can’t eat uncooked bamboo shoots

3 daisy { 06.01.14 at 9:02 pm }

Unless you are a panda, Littlepetal.

4 emp { 06.01.14 at 9:11 pm }

Emelia is so up herself she needs to be brought down a peg or two. Cooks a decent panna cotta and she think’s she’s tops

5 Simon { 06.01.14 at 9:12 pm }

Talk about an unexpected results. Aside from 1 person, never would have picked the top and bottom 3.

Is there anyone that likes Emilia? She makes it so easy not to. I’m surprised she hasn’t alienated herself from other contestants with that smugness and arrogance.

6 Jay { 06.01.14 at 9:20 pm }

Does Emilia realise she didn’t invent pannacotta cotta? The way they carry on anyone would think she had.

7 brain dead dave { 06.01.14 at 9:25 pm }

Ha ha ,Emilia ~bamboo-zled baby.

8 Maz { 06.01.14 at 9:44 pm }

Emilia reminds me of an officious bureaucrat.

It is interesting what they have decided to highlight in the ‘official’ bios on the Masterchef website. Such transparent attempt at emotional manipulation means the more cynical can devise a game of tragedy bingo.

9 Sandii { 06.01.14 at 9:49 pm }

Yea Simon I didn’t see that bottom 3 coming.

10 daisy { 06.01.14 at 9:49 pm }

Recording MC tonight. It will be fun watching Emelia now after the highlights here.
Thanks everyone.

11 Smythe { 06.02.14 at 1:08 am }

Emilia continues to be arrogant and thinks she can do no wrong so I was glad she was criticized for the bamboo shoots in her dish. I really wish they would stop bringing up her excellence for making pannacotta. She has messed up with one or two. Her statement that Brent’s pannacotta was overset was rude and just a means of trying to knock Brent down. The judges thought it was perfect. When she was called up after the mystery box challenge I was not surprised that she was chosen as the winner even though I did not think her vegetable dish was as complex or worth as the other cooks who were called up.

Byron…he knew that the prawns were not cooked all the way so why didn’t he throw them in a pan and cook them more. Do these people ever learn?

At the end of the program I felt the judges were overly harsh with Sarah regarding the upcoming elimination challenge. She has proven her self over and over again and she had already told them that she was not good at cooking Thai food. Telling her to straighten up was low or maybe I am just taking their comment the wrong way.

12 Adrianna { 06.02.14 at 1:10 am }

One again, too much Sarah and Emilia!!!!
And yeah, definitely did not expect the bottom 3.
Should be an interesting pressure test tomorrow!

13 Benji { 06.02.14 at 1:33 am }

Urgh, how many times did Emelia use the word “cook” to mean a cooking session?
“I work a lot better with a shorter cook, but there’s also a few things that I’d like to try in this cook.”
Stop it. Stop it.
And: “Sarah’s a huge competition.”
Not a huge competitor. A competition. Sarah is a competition.
It’s as if Emelia is purposefully trying to find new ways to irritate me…

14 daisy { 06.02.14 at 1:43 am }

I’ve missed shows along the way but I have been noticing Rachel as someone who seems nice and natural.

15 emp { 06.02.14 at 2:13 am }

Emelia not winning fans anywhere it seems.

16 Conspiracy Theorist { 06.02.14 at 2:30 am }

Gary’s pissed because all the judges have a pool going and his money’s on Sarah…

George and Emelia arrange a night-time rondezvous in full view of the cameras; tongues lolling out over heavy Panna Cotta…

Emelia actually stole Brent’s Panna Cotta recipe and She fails to cook it right every single time…

Jamie shocked to realise he’s on Masterchef and not My Kitchen Rules…

Two Masterchef production interns were fired in the Masterchef Kitchen; one because he added Kransky to the Gumbo on George’s instructions and the other for adding extra chilli to Brent’s dish before tasting on Gary’s advice…*

*Conspiracies brought to you by my cousin’s, sister’s, son who has no connection to Masterchef what-so-ever, but communes with a wolf spirit who knows all…*wink*

(Hi All, I’m supposed to be doing an assignment, instead I watched Masterchef and my imagination went a little wild – thought this might be a place where people might appreciate my odd humour… or maybe I just need more sleep.)

17 Simon { 06.02.14 at 2:45 am }

Smythe, I read that situation a little differently. To me it seemed more like a stern reminder for her (and them) to get their act together. Sarah obviously disappointed the most but I think the comment to her about straightening up was far less harsh than telling the other two that they were hanging on by their fingernails and telling them they know what they’re up against. That sounded like Gary was partly alluding to how tough the challenge would be but also that since they’re competing against Sarah, the odds of them avoiding elimination would be lower 1:3 instead of 1:4.

Adrianna, I totally agree about the overexposure but what I dislike more is that they don’t show all the dishes for the challenges where they don’t just pick the top 5. At least then each person would at least get some air time. Feel bad for Colin supporters. He hardly ever gets any air time. Was Laura shown at all?

Also, what was the deal with Steven? The way that everything was worded, I get the feeling that something is up and it doesn’t have to do with illness. He looks more upset. He looked fine at the start of the first challenge. What say you, Conspiracy Theorist? :)

Given what’s happened, I’m all but certain that he’s going tomorrow, though it’s not really much of a call given how often he’s been in an elimination :)

18 Smythe { 06.02.14 at 4:34 am }

Simon, understand what you are saying regarding comment to Sarah but Sarah was upfront before the challenge stating that she does not do well with Thai. Good for her for admitting to her limitations. Telling her to straighten up when she has been doing a very good job overall and did try with the Thai (to her taste buds it was fine) just seemed a bit harsh, IMO.

Byron has fallen off the pedestal. No more “golden boy” status for him, at least for now.

Simon, Although I agree that Steven should be eliminated he generally does well in elimination challenges especially if a recipe is provided. When it comes to cooking w/o directions/guidelines he does not do well. He appears to have limited creativity and inventiveness. I would also like to see what all of the dishes are instead of them just picking out a few to show.

19 Ranter { 06.02.14 at 7:09 am }

I can’t put my finger on the reason but I can’t stand Sarah. Is it the overexposure? Is it the fake giggling? Is it the dead-eyes expression? Beauty-school drop-out, go back to modelling kthxbye.

20 Fijane { 06.02.14 at 7:50 am }

I haven’t yet watched the whole of last night’s episode, so I haven’t seen the comments that Emelia made. But so far, I have quite liked her. I admit I have a definite bias towards cooks who do desserts (and a bias against those who put lemongrass chili and coriander in everything) but I would like her to show her skill in a much wider range of desserts. It is not difficult to perfect one dish if you make it all the time.
I can’t help feeling that the judges hold certain contestants to a higher standard because they have shown themselves to be contenders. Sarah is considered to have failed if her dish does not exceed her last one, rather than if it exceeds the other contestant’s dishes.

21 Izobel2 { 06.02.14 at 8:06 am }

I just wanted to have a shout out to the word ‘funky’ that was used about 5 times last night!!
I love Thai food, I would’ ve been more than happy to be on the judging panel last night!

22 brain dead dave { 06.02.14 at 10:33 am }

Yes, Gary trying to be “funky” was a dismal fail.

23 Smythe { 06.02.14 at 11:10 am }

Daisy, Just want to say that latest episode of OB was fantastic. This season keeps getting better & better.

24 Andrea { 06.02.14 at 11:41 am }

Sarah is the favourite one, shouldn’t she have practised Thai cooking if she knew she wasn’t too good at it?
Too many guys are leaving and was Colin even there last night, we hardly ever see him, its all about Sarah, Emelia and Rachael.

25 fj { 06.02.14 at 12:00 pm }

Smythe/Simon, I am a Colin supporter and I cannot believe how little they are showing him – I think because he just gets in and does the cooking without the tears etc, it doesn’t make for very interesting TV. Very disheartening as I think they have made there minds up on who they want in. I too would like to see all of the contestants dishes – they say they want to taste the best – how the hell do they know that if they don’t taste the finished dishes of them all and show the viewers this also. An excellent looking dish does not equate to an excellent tasting dish! A little fairness would be great Channel 10 across the board. Even the photo’s on the Masterchef website are all about the favourites. Getting annoyed!

26 daisy { 06.02.14 at 12:37 pm }

Smythe, I knooooooowwww. I always hate waiting another week.
I watched ep 1 s1 last night with teenage grandson (ff one bit). It was interesting to pick up on clues from Katya(?), the redhead clone, that you only notice inhindsight. She was coughing blood.

Back to MC: do you think they paid attention to public opinion after last year’s sucky cooks?
I don’t get why MKR doesn’t pay attention to public opinion.

27 Smythe { 06.02.14 at 1:05 pm }

Daisy, what did your grandson think of OB?

I think that overall the cooks are better and it seems that they may have done away w/ the Masterclass audience. Also no boys vs girls (what a bad idea that was!!) and sticking to the usual format w/ Mystery box, invention test, pressure test, etc. has helped. However, to reiterate, I would like to see everyone’s dishes being tasted.

Question: w/ the mystery box vs safe board challenge did judges ever say what had to be cooked from the board? I am assuming they did not have to cook the meat and all 3 veggies since Emilia only cooked the veggies.

fj…I like Colin and would like to see more of him and much less of Emilia. In fact I would like to not see Emilia at all.

28 daisy { 06.02.14 at 1:17 pm }

He loved it. And that was just the warm up ep really. We know it gets better.

29 Alec C { 06.08.14 at 3:35 pm }

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCDMae-QN3U Georgie’s reaction is the same as Maters reaction in Cars 2.

30 xyUc { 11.11.14 at 4:02 am }