Australian Story – Masterchef’s Jules Allen Is On And I Might Be As Well….

Jules Allen, a Masterchef Australia contestant from last year will be the subject of Australian Story on Monday night on the ABC. She appears to give an honest account on what it is like to be on a reality show and her own feelings/motivations. Maybe it should be compulsory viewing for reality TV wannabees.

Hopefully she will also get the chance to say how freaking ripped off she was in getting eliminated twice from Masterchef Australia last year. Particularly in relation to going home the second time on other peoples mistakes.

I was interviewed to comment for this story, so might get one or two grabs if I am not too tabloidesque. Considering I was interviewed for 45 minutes I will be a bit miffed if I don’t. It will be interesting to see if some of my more caustic one liners get a run.

Full details below:

Australian Story: Out of the Kitchen – Jules Allen

Monday June 2nd, 8pm on ABC1

THE REALITY TV REBOUND – ONE WOMAN’S GUIDE TO SURVIVING THE HEAT IN THE KITCHEN

Introduced by Deborra-Lee Furness

“One of the most exciting moments of my life was being handed that white apron. The adrenalin kicked in and the ego went berserk.”. Jules Allen, reality television contestant

“Being a participant in a reality TV show is a bit like being a voluntary hostage.” Andrew Fuller, psychologist

“You get your picture on a bus and everyone knows who you are.  But it comes at a price.”  Andrew Allen, brother

This week’s program provides an intriguing glimpse behind the scenes of the reality TV phenomenon that’s captured viewers around the country.

Jules Allen was 38 years old when she left her family for four months to appear as a ‘willing hostage’ on the popular MasterChef reality TV show in Melbourne.

As a single mother, she’d fostered twenty-nine children and taken in three children to her family permanently. But even a house full of teenagers couldn’t prepare her for the high octane existence of life as a MasterChef contestant.

She admits she lusted after ‘fifteen minutes of fame’ but says that despite the psychological counselling provided by the show she was unprepared for the intense emotional swings during filming:  “We felt we were bipolar because of the enormous highs and then the excruciating lows – they can happen three times in a day. You’re encouraged to sort of crack open (but) at the end there’s no one there to put you together,”  she says.

It’s become clear to Jules Allen that her experience is not unique. Psychologists and industry observers say the same production techniques are used in most of the popular reality shows. A year later, she says the experience has left her ‘humbler’ with a clearer sense of what actually matters in life, including reinforcing her mission to raise awareness for foster care and launching a program to help those on a low budget eat well.

1 Littlepetal { 05.30.14 at 1:15 pm }

I forgotten who Jules Ellen was! and need to Google to refresh my memory.

I hope this will put pressure on the production companies to treat the contestants a bit better.

Emily who was eliminated earlier mentioned about with less than 5 hours of sleep. No wonder they are walking zombies.

Will keep an eye for you, RR

2 Reality Raver { 05.30.14 at 1:16 pm }

I should add that considering House Rules, Masterchef and The Voice Australia will be on I don’t expect many people who read this site to actually watch the show!

3 Littlepetal { 05.30.14 at 1:17 pm }

Don’t worry RR, it will be recorded.

4 Joseph Skyrim { 05.30.14 at 1:21 pm }

Jules the super (foster) mom! I remember her! :) I… don’t have that channel though, so I’ll have to look for an online copy after the fact to spot you RR. 😛

5 Reality Raver { 05.30.14 at 1:27 pm }

Little Petal and Joseph Skyrim – I will be out myself at a child’s schools music evening. So will have to record as they always run late!

6 brain dead dave { 05.30.14 at 1:28 pm }

The Australian Story show is repeated several times during the week.

7 Reality Raver { 05.30.14 at 1:33 pm }

Thanks BDD.

8 Ali { 05.30.14 at 1:36 pm }

I also had to look her up and found a great deal of her life posted here: http://www.instavillage.com/u/julesallencharity/

Weird, there is a pic with Jade from BB captioned “Just catching up with my old buddy @jadealbany after a crazy year for both of us #bbau #masterchef”

Those intense emotional swings she mentioned are what all the BB housemates use to explain why they cry so much.

“You’re encouraged to sort of crack open (but) at the end there’s no one there to put you together”

I hear Humpty Dumpty had the same problem.

9 Shellbot { 05.30.14 at 2:37 pm }

will have to catch it on iView, should be up on there for watching for a while after :)

10 Andrea { 05.30.14 at 3:19 pm }

I will tape it for later, the last one about Keiran Perkins was really good, even he hasn’t been immune to his celebrity status.

11 Littlepetal { 05.30.14 at 4:31 pm }

I did enjoy the 2 parts on Kieren Perkins

12 Andrea { 05.30.14 at 5:00 pm }

Me too LP.

13 Jay { 05.30.14 at 5:07 pm }

As with Shellbot 9 I’ll be watching it on abc iview – Australian shows tend to be available for a little longer.

14 lulu { 05.30.14 at 7:24 pm }

Jules was terrific and definitely robbed last year. But then again, I guess so was everyone, considering the winner.

In an interview today, Sean said the MC house was ‘dry.’
Does that mean they can’t even cook with wine? Not even an edifying g n’ t after a hard day’s cookin’ in the kitchin.
Must be seriously boring living there.

15 Littlepetal { 05.30.14 at 7:28 pm }

lulu, you just remind me to remind RR to interview Sean.

RR, please interview Sean. He is a funny guy.

16 Wildrice { 05.30.14 at 8:07 pm }

I wonder if Jules makes any mention of having to play along with the idiotic girls versus guy thing

17 Bel { 05.30.14 at 8:59 pm }

Australian Story is one of the best docos we have in Aust. I’ll definitely watch this one. I too had to google the name to remember the face of Jules. Hell, if she can get out a good message on foster care and eating well on little money, I’m all for her :)

18 Julie { 06.02.14 at 7:13 am }

ABC have got the article advertising it up on their news ite now and it even includes Emma in her own snippet

19 Georgie { 06.02.14 at 7:45 am }

Thanks for the link Julie.

20 Gabby { 06.02.14 at 9:21 am }

Looking forward to this one and your part RR.
I wonder if she will tell us anything about reality television that we don’t already know? I hope so!

21 daisy { 06.02.14 at 1:10 pm }

I caught a sample segment of this on ABC24breakfast and it looks interesting and well done.
I think it is interesting to hear what people say of their post RTV experiences. Jules will have a different experience from that given villain roles.

22 Littlepetal { 06.02.14 at 4:48 pm }
23 daisy { 06.02.14 at 10:43 pm }

Jules came across as really nice, down to earth and well spoken.
Congrats on a good interview Jules, and Emma.

Hey Emma, you said people like watching the fights. Does that mean an RR fight is a good thing?