Big Brother Winner Reggie Bird Is Broke

Reggie in happier days.

Reggie in happier days.

Reggie Bird appears to have burned through her $250,000 winning check and is considering moving into a caravan park with her two children.

The Daily Mail reports that Reggie on Facebook asked how much living in a caravan would be. Reggie who won $250,000 over ten years ago has not had much luck since and probably not helped that she has gone through two divorces since then.

When she left the house, shortly afterwards she split with her husband who she ran the fish and chip shop with and she has had two children to another guy.

Unfortunately for her she has one child with Cystic Fibrosis and she also has limited vision.

As she tells the Daily Mail both these are very limiting to employment:

‘Being a single mum is tough trying to bring up 2 kids!’ Reggie wrote in her post.

‘Even tougher when you are vision impaired and have a child with cystic fibrosis!

‘Things are only going to get tougher once the governments new policies come in and also now having to pay for scripts for Lucas’ medication.’

Explaining that she is keen to find employment, Reggie said she is having trouble finding a job that accommodates her own disability.

Reggie suffers from retinal pigmentation, which means she has lost much of her vision and she told Woman’s Day magazine in 2011 she ‘can hardly see her kids’.

‘I want to work,’ she wrote this week. ‘But who is going to employ someone who is vision impaired, can’t drive, has a child with cystic fibrosis and needs to be cared for.

‘Yesterday the daycare rang me to go pick Lucas up because he is sick.

‘What boss is going to let me get up and leave work to attend to my child at the drop of a hat?’

If she is that skint she needs to get on the Housing Commission waiting list, also are the kids father paying child support?

I hope she gets back on her feet, sure Reggie was never the brightest spark but she seemed like she had a good heart.

Thanks B R for sending in link.

1 Loz { 05.30.14 at 10:59 pm }

Poor Reggie, I hope she gets back on her feet soon.

2 Isabelle { 05.31.14 at 12:59 am }

I agree, I really hope that she is okay =/

3 all happening { 05.31.14 at 8:17 am }

There has been several things on current affairs programs lately that housing commission housing is a long wait process, RR.
Good luck to her.

4 Anonymous { 05.31.14 at 8:29 am }

The wait was thirteen years when I enquired some 8 years ago.

5 Andrea { 05.31.14 at 8:50 am }

Poor Reggie, I liked her so much but she made some bad financial decisions in her life and is now suffering for it.
I agree that the father should be offering some sort of child support and I wonder if she could get work by going through a disability job agency?
Hope things get better for her.

6 Twinkle { 05.31.14 at 11:12 am }

Poor woman … I hope a sprinkling of Lady Luck comes her way.

7 Anonymous { 05.31.14 at 12:25 pm }

I know Reggie and the father personally so I can inform you that they have a shared custody arrangement and he most certainly does pay child support.
That being said Reggie has had more go wrong in her life than anyone else I know so hopefully things turn around for her soon.

8 Ryan { 06.01.14 at 10:17 am }

Reggie seemed to get a big head after she won, but no one deserves to go through what she’s been through in recent years. It’s really sad and I hope there’s more positive things ahead for her.

9 Gabby { 06.01.14 at 11:00 am }

It is very sad Reggie’s life has turned out this way.
I think she was a small town girl that hadn’t seen a lot of life and was smitten by the bright lights and ALL that money.
It is a shame she didn’t put some away for a rainy day.
She is still quite young and has a whole lot of life ahead, lets hope it can only get better.
Good idea Andrea about going through the Disability job agency.
I wish her and her children well.

10 brain dead dave { 06.01.14 at 1:02 pm }

Back at the time , it was reported that Reggie had most of the prize money from BB swindled by a con man who romanced her.

An interesting thing I read about the downside of becoming “famous” the other day is that your old friends change and your new friends aren’t much chop.

11 daisy { 06.01.14 at 1:37 pm }

A good test of friendship, is to be stuck at home under house arrest for three months with your foot in the air.

12 kess { 06.01.14 at 4:18 pm }

So she would have been better off never entering BB, and sticking with her first guy – who she treated like shit.
The guy who stood by her, campaigned for her, held down the business for 3 months – and was dumped on TV for his efforts.
Yeah Reggie was a charmer, idiot.

Still bad luck. And where is that supposed BB ‘family’ support they used to rant about at 10.

13 Carol (without the e) { 06.02.14 at 12:08 pm }

Anonymous @ 7, please let Reggie know that (in addition to putting her name on the Housing Department waiting list) she should also go on the list for Pacific Link. I don’t know where Reggie lives but if they can give her a house it might be a good move for her (maybe).

14 daisy { 06.02.14 at 12:40 pm }

No joke, but isn’t there a house with a pool in QLD that is vacant for 9 months of the year?

15 Rosie { 06.02.14 at 1:11 pm }

Poor old Reggie. She was (and presumably still is) so fucking thick! Somehow thought that winning Big Brother meant she would be on Easy Street for the rest of her life. Wrong as wrong could be.

I couldn’t agree more with Kess. Dumping the first husband was her first and biggest mistake. Going back to the fish ‘n chips shop might have been too much of a come down for her, but guess what, Reggie? You’d have been just fine now had you done that. The grass is almost never greener.

And someone as dumb as her is a pretty easy mark for a con man. Just sad. But predictable.

I can’t help but think this whole story is a bit of a beat up for the public to send her money. Makes it sound as though she’s getting no money from the children’s father – even though she is. And I bet she is not quite as badly off as she is making out. I have a little sympathy for her, but only a little.

16 Chasingvegas { 06.02.14 at 1:32 pm }

Big Brother All Stars! Reggie could then showcase her talents & could possibly WIN!

17 Anonymous { 06.09.14 at 8:26 pm }

Boo friggen hoo, she’s not the only one with problems, not everyone has the chance to cry poor on tv. It seems to be the trend at the moment, people who have had their 15 mins wanting just a bit more time in the spotlight, whinging and complaining of their fortunes and how they couldn’t make it work for them

18 Shannon { 06.09.14 at 10:18 pm }

Apply for government housing Reggie , stay strong … Dont give up .
And I hope your getting support from the kids father .
I am a single mother to 3 boys under 10 and it’s hard but you look at your kids everyday , they are the fuel to stay strong and get through this , think of it as just a season in your life , you can make it better .

19 daisy { 06.28.14 at 10:39 am }

I have seen Gretel Killeen in discussions on morning TV twice lately and it has left me really impressed.

A few weeks ago a panel were arguing about Jagger dating again already and while the other women were all “What a dog”, she pointed out that at his age he needed to make the most of his time.

Today’s debate was about the Al Gore/Clive Palmer meet-up.

Also, although she lost it and got too snarky a couple of times, and couldn’t hide her personal preferences, she was the clear front runner for BB host.

20 Anonymous { 06.30.14 at 11:25 am }

I felt so sad for Reggie and her children, until I saw her last Friday at Jupiter’s Casino on the Gold Coast, shoving $50 notes into $1 poker machines, like there was no tomorrow. Now that’s sad.