House Rules – Bomber Continues To Implode

Thank God Annajjj is back with the recaps and you get intelligent and funny commentary on House Rules:

Teams are still in gorgeous Townsville and I’ve just arrived here from Canberra today. It was 27degrees when I landed and given these teams were actually here several months ago it’s not surprising they are getting hot and bothered with this reno.
First up we go to Team Bomb who need to clear the deck so they can paint. Bomber yells a bit at the other teams and gets ignored so he starts pitching stuff off the deck in a total tantrum. Ryan tries to calm him down which, as with most three year olds, works only for a short while. Then Bomber explodes again and hurls more stuff off the deck in a rage. He tells us he’s cooked his brain and Mel comes to the rescue with a little homemade legionnaires hat for him. It’s almost bottle and nap time Bomber.

Meanwhile Team Snow White are designing a Sex-and-the-City WIR for Mads and the Fireman which seems to translate into loud horizontal stripy wallpaper which was never ever on SATC.

We get some ads for ‘Pool Party Barbie and Ken’ and ‘Beach Time Barbie and Ken’ and Mattel have done well to make these dolls look so life-like.

It’s been a couple of prankless hours so Ryan quickly downs tools and tries out the old fake nail through the finger. This fools absolutely no one except brainbox Lisa who then tries it out on Carole and manages to fool her too. Excellent work gice…can we move on now?

Snow White have painted bright blue all over the master bedroom and teamed it with hessian sacks hanging from the ceiling and for some reason these two keep telling us they’ve hit on a winning formula. Perhaps this is a prank too?

Suddenly it’s night time and 32 degrees and we get naked Adam, Ryan and Gapper; the good, the bad, and the ugly rolled up into one fleshy package. Adam reckons if he looks as good as Gapper at 70 he’ll be happy. Pretty sure Gapper is only in his 50’s.

Meanwhile Bomber is still sulking on the deck so his mother takes him home. Bomber had (self-diagnosed) heat exhaustion this morning she tells us, and anyone else think Mel probably devotes a fair bit of her time to talking Bomber down out of his tree? The following day Team Bomb are back on board with Bomber sweating and painting and Mel basically doing everything else. Bomber has arrogantly painted his part of the ceiling a different colour to everyone else and he’s quite ok with this.

McIrony appears in a blaze of colour to advise that some colour is good but too much is bad and again I’m distracted by how much I want to take a pair of scissors to the right side of her hair. Candy is now all worried about the colourfulness of her cushions and trots off to exchange them for bland textured cushions. Don’t forget to spin and look and spin, Candy.

In the ensuite the Cappers are removing bits from the legs of their vanity to disguise the fact that their floor slopes at about 15 degrees. Carole is having a midlife crisis or hitting menopause or something as she breaks down over the short shower head and wrong loo. Gapper gives her a pep up along the lines of “it’s the tropics so don’t give up’ and we should expect to see Gapper invited to give a TED talk any day now.

Jo arrives in the final hours to get in everyone’s way, Snow White get argy bargy with each other again and Adam and Lisa have a splash back disaster. However, I’m guessing they’ll probably be the ten this week – anyone have any other guesses? Anyone think the hessian/blue/stripy organic bedroom might take it out?

1 Veronicali { 06.02.14 at 10:13 am }

I’m thinking the potato sack-ceiling bedroom will take out … Brooke & Grant from the competition.

Re the Shades of White paint debacle – it’s a pity they ie Bomber couldn’t come together for the sake of the reno.

2 all happening { 06.02.14 at 10:59 am }

Living in the tropics myself, I know hessian will be horrendous. Great gecko shit catchers, bitey and crawly insect and spider house. Then we get to the mould collection, wet season would be so smelly in there with no way of cleaning. The dust from all of the above’s garbage plus red soil outside that comes in through open windows, will be zoomed through the room causing hay fever and poor breathing conditions. I really hope that is panned.

3 Smythe { 06.02.14 at 11:09 am }

The hessian ceiling is awful and so is the horizontally striped wallpaper. Brooke and Grant have no sense of style and if they think they are following the house rules of creating a tropical paradise then they are delusional. Looking forward to them receiving very low scores and being eliminated.

Can understand Bomber’s anger regarding the deck. He is trying get it painted and the others are not removing their junk. He can’t get far w/ all of that stuff on the deck. He did ask nicely at first and no one really stepped up to the plate to remove their things.

Don’t want to see anymore of Ryan’s juvenile practical jokes.
As for shirtless also don’t want to see anymore of Ryan as well as Russell.

4 TG { 06.02.14 at 11:27 am }

I generally only watch on reveal nights and so that’s why I was watching last night but can anyone tell me why on earth Bomber wouldn’t have painted the deck in the evening when it was cooler and there would have been less people and junk to contend with? Does the decking require considerably more drying time?

omg – the hessian sack thing… what the…? Also Carol’s horizontal and vertical lines in the same room thing – am I the only one that can’t visualise that as being in any way good?

I also got the feeling that McIrony (don’t know her real name but I love Anajjj’s names they’re hilarious) wrote the house rules herself when she was talking to Candy about them. I swear I saw a look of pride in her eye as she discussed the layers of texture.

5 all happening { 06.02.14 at 11:38 am }

I agree about Bomber and the deck, Smythe. Although not keen on him, Bomber has a right to be able to work on his space. Surely this should be part of Chester’s job to organize this. I am sure he did do something last year for sort a similar problem.
That paint line is terrible. I reckon Bomber will be doing some last minute painting or I hope he will.
Adam and Russell agreed to go with a particular colour of white. Majority rules in that situation, so typical Bomber very selfish.
I love the pale blue glass splash back, so subtle but beachy.

6 Andrea { 06.02.14 at 11:46 am }

Shouldn’t Chester or whatshername the designer have advised Brook and Grant not to go with the hessian idea? isn’t that their job?
And is everything done on this house a waste of time if it needs to be levelled?
Bomber is a bit of a sook, just as well he has a strong partner and I’m sorry to admit I was taken in by the nail through the thumb trick for a minute or two there, I’m so over the pranks.
Hope Lisa and Adam get the tens tonight.

7 all happening { 06.02.14 at 12:17 pm }

Whatshername designer doesn’t come in and say your idea is shit until it is too late to fix,Andrea. lol I must admit this week I hope she shuts up.
Blonde judge was on sunrise this morning and she wasn’t worried about the lean of the floor unless it impacts drainage.

8 Smythe { 06.02.14 at 12:52 pm }

Chester is rarely to be seen. He should be there mediating and guiding more often. Maybe he is around more but edited out.

I like Mel quite a bit and think she could do better than Bomber but who knows since we are only seeing him as portrayed on HR. However, Mel seems like the strong and intelligent one in this duo. Bomber is a lucky man.

9 ziii { 06.02.14 at 1:25 pm }

I would hate to have that hessian ceiling. Its horrible, and just seeing them staple it to the ceiling, it would be such a pain to take down and patch up.

I felt for poor Bomber and the deck. He seems like the kind of person who may lack a bit of confidence. Mel is amazing.

I still like Carole and Russell. They really seem to try hard to make this nice.

I presume Brooke has never seen an episode of Sex and the City. that WIR is ugly and not practical.

10 Anonymous { 06.02.14 at 1:25 pm }

It’s time for:

1. Mel to go back onto RSVP to upgrade from Bomber
2. Brooke to go home as she has the only house upgrade to 5 bedrooms. Everyone else has reduced to 2 bedrooms

11 Colleen { 06.02.14 at 2:05 pm }

I don’t understand why the deck was part of the reno, it obviously didn’t need any building or maintenance done on it, shouldn’t it be done when they do the gardens?

Also why was Bomber painting it in the middle of the day when the dining room and entrance were not painted? I don’t understand the stress, the dining room and entrance would be the easiest zones by far. The dining room only has one wall, then you plonk in a table and a picture in the wall. Why didn’t Bomber help Russel and Adam with the ceiling, isn’t that his zone too?

12 Gidgitvonlarue { 06.02.14 at 2:44 pm }

Welcome back firstly!

I hope all the teams do really well in the scores ASIDE from Brook and Grant. Their room is horrid and does not flow with the rest of the house. Brook seems so damn selfish plus has really no taste at all.

I agree with what someone said about not enough Chester (not just to perve on) but he really should be there more as with Carolyn. I think they are both needed to be involved a lot more but I guess if there were there would be no ‘drama’ and all the rooms would be wonderful and finished etc. Can’t have that can we! Tis a reality TV show afterall!

13 Gidgitvonlarue { 06.02.14 at 2:46 pm }

‘their’ (gah hate that)

14 all happening { 06.02.14 at 2:58 pm }

I reckon Ryan had put on weight since starting this show. Must be all the take-away.
I forgot to welcome you back annajjj. I really hope Adam and Lisa win tonight. I so hope Brooke and Grant are well down at the bottom so it can’t help their ranking if they had a win next week. Just eliminate them now please.

15 brain dead dave { 06.02.14 at 3:07 pm }

Suicide Bomber.

Thanks annajjj.

16 Eliza { 06.02.14 at 3:45 pm }

Welcome back, annajjj!

B&G deserve to go. Unlike the other teams who continue to improve,they haven’t at all. How they think their room is hitting the house rules is beyond me! As everyone has said, the hessian is absolutely terrible.. the wallpaper is disgusting and the blue is ugly. They clearly just have no idea. I really hope they get panned as well as they really deserve it.

The 10 could be the kitchen or maybe C&R’s bathroom. A&L look like they have done a good job with the kitchen. I am not a fan of the splash back as I just don’t tend to like the coloured splash backs but the layout, feel, etc all look good.

Agree with everyone re Caroline and Chester needing to be there more. It just seems silly. Unlike TB, this show is more about controversial rooms as CH7, unlike CH9, doesn’t have to worry about the sale of the properties so probably don’t care as much how they turn out. This also makes us talk more about the show!

17 Fijane { 06.02.14 at 4:07 pm }

I like the blue on the bedroom wall, but like others have said, I can’t see it being the right shade. Maybe a pale aqua would have been better.
And no, I can’t see the different board directions working, especially where they meet in the corners etc.
Still irritated by Lisa – no evidence of her actually at the site on one of the days (day before last?), then she reacted to the kitchen as if she had had nothing to do with it. Interesting how the editing labelled Brooke as lazy, whereas you don’t see L doing anything except banging down one piece of a wardrobe ( and then everyone went “oh, she’s so wonderful getting into the demo”). Not saying that B is a nice person, but they could have just as easily picked Lisa to be the lazy stereotype.

18 Gabby { 06.02.14 at 4:16 pm }

I’m another hater of the hessian. How could they possibly think it looked at all attractive. Think of all the wild life making it’s home between hessian and ceiling, doesn’t bare thinking about, yuk.
I noticed when Brooke was picking her plants out she picked one out that was on its last legs, not much thought went in to it.
Sometimes I think with her, even though she wants to win, I don’t think she wants people to have a better home than her. That’s why she keeps choosing shit.
I think they could have been more considerate of Bom and his deck bu they haven’t really got much time for him, have they, so why would they put themselves out.
I am loving the kitchen and I really hope Adam and Lisa get the ten this week.
Carole is working really hard on her bathroom or is it ensuite? I like the double showers and I think they will be a hit with Maddie and Lloyd.
So over Ryan’s jokes, whoever told him he was funny once, I wish they hadn’t.

19 all happening { 06.02.14 at 4:25 pm }

Lisa has been working, Fijane. She has done a fair bit of painting and carrying this week. I really think she has come a long way since the show started. Just because you don’t see someone on the ep doesn’t mean they weren’t there. Just not Lisa’s turn to hog the screen. Dark walls in the tropics absorb heat and wallpaper like G&B used will be BLACK within a month from the mould.

20 brain dead dave { 06.02.14 at 4:33 pm }

The legendary Vic Hotel in Darwin used to have large sheets of hessian hanging perpendicular to the ceiling, attached to motors making them wave gently to and fro, keeping the drinkers cool. Never seen it anywhere else.

21 Anonymous { 06.02.14 at 5:16 pm }

Is it possible snow white dont care anymore because their house is finished? If they do a bad job-they get eliminated, and don’t have to work hard any more?? Out of all the couples their mortgage is one of the lowest-so not in as much debt as the others.

22 Andrea { 06.02.14 at 6:03 pm }

I was thinking that too Anonymous, to me they seem to have lost interest in the show now that they have got what they wanted. They know they won’t win so they have given up.

23 all happening { 06.02.14 at 6:16 pm }

I don’t think B&G have given up as they are now shitty that the others are ganging up on them. Funny how Brooke refusing to help in the first week has come back to bight her where it hurts. I think they just don’t get any style that they wouldn’t have. A bit my way or the highway.

24 Chrissie { 06.02.14 at 7:26 pm }

I must be crazy as I don’t mind the wallpaper! It is in the wardrobe, so why not do something a bit different / more colourful. And even though I hated the spider nest thought of it, I was reserving judgement on the hessian… But seeing it hung is even worse! No. Just No.

Felt sorry for Bomber – not fair that everyone’s stuff was on his deck. And I actually think he chose a better ceiling colour. Will be interesting to see what is said about that. I don’t think they should marked down, because am pretty sure we saw the girls change colours after the meeting – so perhaps they never told him! It is difficult to judge as while it’s one house… it is an individual game.

25 all happening { 06.02.14 at 8:30 pm }

Does anyone know who has been arrested from HR? It is in No Idea or Woman’s Day.
Btw In paper this morning, Maddie wants to get into TV.

26 LW { 06.02.14 at 8:46 pm }

All happening, from the TV ad I saw, it looks like Candy – DUI apparently. As an ex-New Idea staff member, I can tell you for a fact it will be something that happened years ago and wasn’t a big deal… :-)

27 Chrissie { 06.02.14 at 9:30 pm }

Oh, I got excited thinking it was something recent!

And now Ive seen it all dressed, changed my mind on the wallpaper… way too busy. Agree it was a shame about limited hanging space. And why didn’t they do a big lovely double hammock, hanging chairs or daybed on that lovely deck? Had so much more design potential. The dog bed was cute.

I liked Bomber and Mel’s artwork – met the house rules, was interesting and thoughtful…. and looked good from kitchen. I am over all those vintage posters.

28 Gabby { 06.02.14 at 9:35 pm }

I don’t understand how come the teams start to get eliminated tomorrow night when they still have one house to go.
That’s stupid.

29 all happening { 06.02.14 at 9:49 pm }

Gabby, just means the last week starts tomorrow night and at the end of this reno at Bomber and Mels, the lowest on the leader board will be eliminated.

30 LW { 06.02.14 at 9:54 pm }

I might be wrong Chrissie! I’m just basing my opinion on past New Idea stories…

31 Gabby { 06.02.14 at 10:21 pm }

Thanks a.h., the way they spoke I thought they said someone was going tomorrow. Must be old age :(
Good show tonight, great to see some house owners telling it like it is and scoring accordingly.
Their scoring put some of the others to shame. The way the others would say, we loved it, and then give a four or five.
I thought Maddi and Lloyd were great tonight and I was so happy for Adam and Lisa, well done to them, it was a long time coming.
What about that bloody awful hessian, it even looked worse up than I ever could have imagined it?

32 all happening { 06.02.14 at 10:31 pm }

Just think G&B zone was marked a bit too high. B&M zone wasn’t that bad. I assume that they want scores reasonably close so we have a nail biter next week. Overall, really liked the house finish. Nice to see a more subdued palette with splashes of colour.

33 kes { 06.02.14 at 10:53 pm }

I was just reading about Bomber & Mel on a Reece plumbing site of all things, that Mel purchased the house 3 months into the 12 month relationship,so they all could live together WTF….First, his daughter put him on the dating site,not him,secondly,12 months is way to early to get into a financial situation together,jesus it takes years to get to know them,let alone move in with 4 kids involved. I have seen parts of his personality that I don’t like i.e. his temper, his a hypo, his insecure & borders on abusive with his comments to Mel. She baby’s him and makes many excuses for his behavior! that to me is a recipe for disaster in this relationship. I find she is a strong,independent and forward thinking, she doesn’t need him or his bullshit. And then there is the other part of Mel being a teacher and Bomber listed as a “house husband” more like unemployed with 3 kids of his own. What about Mel’s little girl that was so dearly wanted,how will this effect her, it’s a concern as I don’t see this guy staying forever, Mel is a wonderful lady and way to good for him. Shame.

34 Jaycee47 { 06.02.14 at 11:11 pm }

Re Bomber and Mel I thought his comment after the scoring was the best of the night….”the judges said less is more…..the less we score the more Bomber get madder”…priceless Bomber!

35 Ben { 06.02.14 at 11:55 pm }

Fejian u rude cow what would you know callin Brooke and Lisa lazy… It’s TV a camera is not on them every second u fat trog

36 Chrissie { 06.03.14 at 8:55 am }

Lloyd and Maddi’s house by far my favourite. But they had the biggest space with impressive ceiling to start with. And chose great house rules. How can we find out what wall paint colour teams used?

37 Karena { 06.12.14 at 5:56 pm }

I loved the white wall colour in the old queenslander…does anybody know the name of the white paint?