Masterchef Australia – Sarah Slips Up And Emelia Turns Smug

Steven decided why bother with even doing the mystery box and invention test last night as he was sick but maybe he thought “hell I will be bottom three anyway so why not take a rest”. He is now in the elimination pressure test.

There was a mystery box with choice of cooking with lamb chops and three vegetables or taking a punt on the unknown risky box. But first Gary needed to discuss strategy. After asking Ben he dryly said “Not get eliminated”.

If you took the risky box you got 60 minutes to cook your dish but if you took the meat and three vegetable you only had 30 minutes. Sam, Byron, Emelia and Ben were the only ones who took meat and vegetables.

The risky box was filled with Vegemite, choko, tofu, cardamon, pheasant, salsify, and paw paw.

Ben was having regrets that he had not taken the risky box, as he was not doing anything special with the lamb chops and was being criticised for it.

As usual five dishes were selected for tasting.

Georgia was making Pheasant with Stuffed Zucchini Flower, with Paw Paw, Cardamon and Vegemite Mayonnaise. The pheasant was under cooked. Gary said it works and surprisingly liked the Vegemite. Matt said the paw paw and Vegemite mix tasted a bit funky and likened it to blue cheese but liked it.

Amy smears with crumbs was selected Paw Paw Sorbet with Paw Paw and Caramel Custard. None of the judges seem to like paw paw but they liked what she did with it.

Jamie was also  picked Roasted Pheasant with Salsify and Zucchini Flowers. It was undercooked but they liked his dish. He joked that at least he was consistent with undercooking his dishes.

Emelia made a beautiful Brussel Sprouts with Pumpkin and Potato. George said it was clever cooking and that it was sophisticated that could be put on a restaurant menu.

Emelia said “Being called a clever cook just really resonates with me and gives me confidence’. Is she becoming smug?

And of course Sarah was picked. Sarah has been getting a mound of screen time, which makes me think she is on the way out. She made it was Pheasant Tortellini with Vegemite Sauce. Matt Preston said  it was a nice dish.

Sarah is the golden child and if I was Tash and Colin I would not be happy that she is getting so much air time and their dishes are not getting much. I think Sarah can cook but there are others there who are just as good but they are not models….Nor are they Gary’s favourite.

In the end Emelia won and she gave a smug satisfied smile, and she received the advantage of picking the invention test. And there were three decisions she had to make. She had the choice of lamb, pork and prawns, and the cuisine was either Greek, Mexican and Thai.

She she chose prawns and Thai with 45 minutes cooking time.

Sarah said she was worried as she did not cook nor really like Thai which of course this gave the judges more opportunity to talk about her.

Rachael was an emotional mess making steam boat as Thai and seafood is her “thing” and she wanted it to be her time to shine.  She sobbed during and after the cook.

Ben was making prawn and noodle salad has a theory of staying in the middle of the pack. Unfortunately for him this year there is a lot more good cooks and his prawn and noodle salad looked dry. Did he not put dressing on it? Matt Preston said masterchef is about bring elegance and sophistication. Does that explain Matt’s wardrobe.

Brent’s Savoury Coconut and Lemongrass Pannacotta with charred mango and prawns was praised by the judges.  They also told Brent to give Emelia aka the pannacotta queen a taste. He came over and she said piss off and she said it was was over set. Gary told her it was set enough for this type of dish. And then she and George stuck their tongues out at each other. What was that all about? Masterchef camaraderie?

Renae’s dish was Green Curry Broth with Poached scallops and Prawn Rice paper rolls. George said it was brilliant.

Byron finally got some air time after a few week’s hiatus and made Smoked Prawns with an aromatic broth. The prawns were raw which he did not notice that when he cut them open. The judges did not even taste it.

The judges loved Rachael’s Thai prawn broth dish. George said it was better then a Michelin star dish. She said “they are finally getting me”.

There was a montage of a few of the contestants including Jamie putting some foam on a plate.

Sarah made Prawn Curry with Crispy Sesame Stick. Gary said it was funky. Matt asked if she had tasted it and at least she admitted she had but it was too late by then.

Emelia’s Prawn Red Curry with rice noodles and a sesame  crisp was criticised for being too bitter. She must have been one of the ones who was close to being bottom three as well.

And we did not see Colin or Tash’s dish.

Top three was Brent, Renae, and Rachael who will battle it out for a chance at an immunity pin.

Bottom three were Bryon, Ben, and Sarah. The judges said they had debated the third spot as there were a few who could have been there but they chose Sarah.

Sarah could go tonight as there has been a wave of male eliminations and she had been getting a lot of screen time and media attention. Apparently she has signed a modelling contract with Chadwick’s.  I hope she stays as she can cook and does not crack under pressure.

1 emp { 06.02.14 at 7:45 pm }

10 minutes in cue the byron sob story

2 Jay { 06.02.14 at 7:58 pm }

Emilia told Brent to “piss off” that’s pretty bitchy behaviour in my book. They couldn’t have edited the words into her mouth.

George just asked Sarah “Should’ve you picked the dessert.” They really should edit abuse of the English language.

3 daisy { 06.02.14 at 8:08 pm }

Should’ve you picked the dessert???? Raised under a rock.

4 Littlepetal { 06.02.14 at 8:12 pm }

I am getting bored wirh these presure test. Why give them such a difficult dish when they can’t plate up a complete dish. Or else also give them more time.

Its ridiculous that the immunity challenge is easier than the pressure test.

5 emp { 06.02.14 at 8:13 pm }

george went to my high school he probably wasn’t paying attention during english

6 Rosie { 06.02.14 at 8:14 pm }

Weeell, George probably only spoke Greek at home, so I am inclined to give him a pass when it comes to his grammar. Not when it comes to his table manners though!

7 Littlepetal { 06.02.14 at 8:17 pm }

Gee, the lamb is so rare.

8 Jay { 06.02.14 at 8:19 pm }

Fair comment Rosie but what is the excuse of the editors/producers who let it go to air?

9 emp { 06.02.14 at 8:20 pm }

ohhh cling film. lucky for sarah byron will screw up more

10 Littlepetal { 06.02.14 at 8:24 pm }

Steven is walking a fine line. It’s rice pudding but his rice is still hard.

11 emp { 06.02.14 at 8:27 pm }

enough with the byron sob stories.

12 Rosie { 06.02.14 at 8:31 pm }

I agree, Emp. I still think Byron is pretty, but I’m ready for him to go any time now.

Ha! Well done with the foam, Steven. Not. At least you made them laugh.

13 Littlepetal { 06.02.14 at 8:32 pm }

Foam gun is the in thing this season. How many times have they use the gun. They must be flying off the shelf.

14 Rosie { 06.02.14 at 8:40 pm }

Bye bye Steven. You lasted a lot longer than I expected. And you seem like a sweet guy.

15 Anonymous { 06.02.14 at 9:30 pm }

Poor Steven – they should change the rule about you going automatically into the pressure test if you were too sick to take part in the invention test the previous day.
Only 5 boys left, out of 16 remaining contestants – the gender imbalance now is very stark.
Surely the judges start eliminating a few girls, to even up the scales?
BTW The Australian Story program tonight featuring Jules from last year’s series was most interesting, and confirmed all my negative perceptions of reality TV(although I still watch it LOL).

16 Evan { 06.02.14 at 9:31 pm }

Enough of the blatant favourtism towards Sarah, enough of Bryon’s sob story.
Steven in comparison deserved to stay longer.
Ben is by far the best cook out of the 4 of them.

17 Littlepetal { 06.02.14 at 9:35 pm }

Both dishes got no wow factors for. I rather have fewer elements on the plate and I can enjoy each element. Having so many elements and you only have a blob of each is not my cup of tea.

Steven deserves to go.

18 Reality Raver { 06.02.14 at 10:00 pm }

Steven was struggling and only had been cooking for a year no wonder he was OK when in front of a recipe but not great when he was freestyling.

19 Littlepetal { 06.02.14 at 10:05 pm }

The next elimination will have to be a female. They are cooking in a team of 4 and only 5 guys left.

20 all happening { 06.02.14 at 10:05 pm }

Anonymous, I know it is accepted that it is a guys turn to win, but surely it should be about the best cook just for once.

21 Robin { 06.02.14 at 10:05 pm }

I found todays episode of MC pretty boring.

RR you were great on the episode of Australian Story!

22 Littlepetal { 06.02.14 at 10:11 pm }

I also find these pressure tests boring. So many elements and you don’t get to see what was being done. Just waiting for the end of the episode to see who get booted.

23 Simon { 06.02.14 at 10:22 pm }

I agree Robin and Littlepetal. Once it was clear that no one had even a remote chance of doing a decent job of it, it stopped being of any interest. Would have been nice if they’d given an extra 30 mins or hour so it came down to how well they executed each element and plated it rather than see how many elements they missed and had gotten wrong. Drawn in by achievement, not by watching people fall apart in slow motion.

24 Lisa { 06.02.14 at 10:33 pm }

I’ve thought Emelia has been arrogant all along, I am not sure if I love her arrogance or hate it. She is a good cook though, especially making a great meal from fairly ordinary ingredients. It must have been great, otherwise why would they reward somebody that didn’t take a risk.

25 Tuppence { 06.02.14 at 10:51 pm }

What’s with all the gender balance. If the females are better cooks, so be it. Doesn’t mean they have to even it up.

26 daisy { 06.02.14 at 11:06 pm }

Rec cut out just before the announcement. Who got out, Byron, Asian guy or other guy? I am guessing not Sarah.

And agreed, who cares what gender they are.

27 DC { 06.02.14 at 11:27 pm }

Once again the judges played favoritism. Why can’t they taste both Sarah’s and Tash’s dish? And tasting only 5 dishes is such a dumb concept. At the end of the day they only end up tasting 1-2 good dishes because some of the chosen dishes turned out to be crap or undercooked. Meanwhile, there are 15 or so dishes that may be good but get left behind because of this stupid rule. Not to mention all of those wasted ingredients and contestants’ time.

28 Pollywaffle { 06.02.14 at 11:51 pm }

Emilia is in marketing, which tends to come with a side dish of arrogance

Can’t get the jowlsy rap out if my head (thx Ali ) and worse still, I’m humming it to a Kanye number.

29 Littlepetal { 06.03.14 at 9:28 am }

They haven’t change the format where they only focus on about 6 contestants. You will know the rest will be safe and those they focus on will either perform well or perform badly.

Agree with not showing and tasting all the dishes. Good looking dish nay not taste great. Just like street food is always so yummy with no fancy plating.

30 Evan { 06.03.14 at 10:29 am }

I think I would have sent Sarah home if I had been a judge, she seemed to have made more mistakes than the other 3, although Steven admittedly botched up his dessert(but having to plate up 11 elements in 2 hours would be impossible for just about all of us).
Byron – there is something endearing about him. I know he gets way more camera time than most of the others and he is nowhere near the best cook there, but I kinda like him all the same, and you have to admire someone who managed to get a science degree even though he has problems reading and comprehending large slabs of info.
Thursday’s elimination is THE SHOCKER Channel 10 are promoting – any guesses who it might be? Rachel, or Tracey, or Laura, or Georgia?

31 nibehlung { 06.03.14 at 10:37 am }

Double elimination is my guess? We haven’t had one of those.

32 daisy { 06.03.14 at 11:13 am }

Littlepetal… a paper bag of hot curry puffs from Singapore. Yum.
Or the Malaysian food stall in the food hall at Takashamaya. Best food I found and only about $5.
No fancy plating up.

33 Alec C { 06.08.14 at 3:13 pm }

#78: Marketing people, based on Emilia are portrayed perfectly in Scott Addams Dilbert comics.

If there is a dish with under cooked elements in the top 5, kick them and bring up other contestants. 2 professional chefs and a food critic as judges yet so many dishes with giant flaws escapes their top 5 selections.