Masterchef Australia – Another Guy Gone And Masterchef Just Became Interesting.

Why they needed the faux gender wars of last year when this year they have the real ones of the girls smashing the guys at this stage….

Another male gone. However with Steven eliminated Masterchef Australia has become very interesting indeed as he is the last of the really stuggling cooks to go. The next elimination will be a “surprise” as there are some now batting about on a level playing field. I suspect Jamie is at risk of going home and possibly Byron. Basically one or two bad cooks from any of the contestants will see them gone.

It was not a night of culinary highs in the pressure test set by two St Crispen’s chefs. Ben, Byron, Sarah and Steven had the choice of picking a the savoury dish which was venison or the dessert a complex but delicious looking rice dish but it did have 11 different components. And with only two hours to make it in he was always going to stuggle.

Everyone else chose the venison but no on put up a great dish. There was missing components plus some added ones like cling wrap from Sarah and string from Byron. However Steven’s ice cream not setting, his lumpy panna cotta and the black rice pudding not turning out it was pretty clear he was gone.

Consideirng he has only been cooking for a year he has done well. He will be continuing with his university degree and is still considering whether he wants a career in food.

1 brain dead dave { 06.03.14 at 10:54 am }

I think that Jamie is still a remaining stain on the competition, being a serial under cooker. Yes, we’re slowly getting rid of the really terrible cooks, now for the criers and the mediocre.

True ,RR. No one put up a great dish last night. These are the best batch yet? The cling wrap and the string, just unacceptable.

2 Evan { 06.03.14 at 10:59 am }

“The Shock Elimination” has to be one of the better performing girls so far this series – Laura, Rachel, Tracy, Georgia, Reneae.
Jamie or Byron going on Thursday night would hardly be a shock.
Heck, now perhaps Colin might get some more airtime in the coming episodes.

3 Evan { 06.03.14 at 11:01 am }

I am sure that Matt Preston hinted before this series began that very early, they would lose someone who the judges had picked as a possible favourite to win.

4 Littlepetal { 06.03.14 at 11:02 am }

Didnt like last night challenge. Now they are making it too difficult for the contestants and they are not up to it. Its painful watching them having missing elements on the plate.

Rather see a less complex dish that the contestants can do.

How Steven got selected I am not sure. I sm sure there are other better cooks in the audition.

5 Wildrice { 06.03.14 at 11:10 am }

I am sure we will have at some stage a head to head elimination featuring Laura and Georgia; they will milk the two young ones now friends for all they can. Emelia will also be in line for elimination as the program has painted her the ‘villian’ so I don’t think they will want her to win, they will want a winner people like so they buy the cookbook

6 Smythe { 06.03.14 at 11:10 am }

Steven did not look or sound as if he was feeling well.
That was a very tough challenge (too tough) and not realistic for the most part. In a restaurant setting I would assume that more than one person would be working on each dish. Steven did make the most mistakes and deserved to go. He should pat himself on the back for making it this far (surprising) and also for actually going out and getting real restaurant experience.

7 daisy { 06.03.14 at 11:16 am }

It was interesting watching last night AFTER watching Jules on AS.

8 Rosie { 06.03.14 at 11:17 am }

I couldn’t help but like Steven, but gee whiz, he simply did not belong in the competition. Way out of his depth, poor feller.

And I agree that last night’s competition was just plain ridiculous. I’m willing to bet that the experienced chefs working on it in the restaurant probably take more than two hours, taking into account their mise en place. Just too stupid for amateurs.

And I can’t help but assume we will be waving bye bye to Sarah on Thursday. Pity, since she certainly in one of the better cooks this year, but she has her modelling contract sewn up, so I guess she she won’t be too upset in the long run.

9 Joseph Skyrim { 06.03.14 at 11:28 am }

Pretty sure Laura is safe until after one round of Marco Pierre White. Also Brent will probably be fine until he finds Heston waiting for them in the house kitchen. Can blame the few times they show “coming up next” bits. 😛

10 Littlepetal { 06.03.14 at 1:18 pm }

Yes, the long promo after the episode on The Class of 2014 did have some spoilers as to who are still in.

11 Simon { 06.03.14 at 1:22 pm }

It’ll likely be someone of Sarah’s or Tash’s calibre going on Thursday for it to be as shocking as the promos are indicating, which kind of spoils the elimination challenge. Maybe Sarah as she’s been in a slump the past couple of episodes.

Evan #1, I think all of the people you mentioned will be safe. For me it’d likely be either Sarah or Tash. Maybe Sam but the shock would be not that she’s going but how it happens e.g. controversial call or quitting.

Since some of us are making some future predictions, based on future promos, for the top 10 I think that Amy, Brent, Laura, Renae and Colin will be there along with five people out of Jaime, Kira, Tracy, Ben, Georgia and Rachel. That would mean that Emilia won’t be in the top 10, which makes me happy. I also think by the end of next week, Sarah, Tash and Sam will be out of the comp.

My guess is also that the next team challenge after the Vic night markets will be at Nobu followed by one overseas, likely in Dubai.

12 Ali { 06.03.14 at 1:35 pm }

What about Doh!a, Qatar? I hear they are willing to splash the cash to secure events and Channel 10 is skint. Win-win.

13 Littlepetal { 06.03.14 at 1:44 pm }

Qantas is not a major sponsor and Victoria Tourism board is a sponsor. Maybe no Dubai.

Not sure about the timeline in filming. MPW was here filming around 21 Mar.

There will be team challenge around 16 Apr at Winchelsea Wormbete Homestead.

Georgia, Laura, Brent, Jamie will be in for the long haul. Amy will have a go at the immunity pin and Kira did a beautiful crocquembuche.

14 Benji { 06.03.14 at 2:09 pm }

As a matter of skill (or lack thereof), Steven definitely deserved to go. But how did the judges give a pass to Sarah’s scattered bits of plastic cling film? They’ve eliminated contestants for lesser, “unforgivable” mistakes than that. Steven’s dish was bad. But plastic is inedible.

They never really did explain why Steven’s ice cream didn’t work. It wasn’t for lack of time; it was the very first thing he did. There was no dramatic music moment used to highlight a contestant’s mistake that they don’t know they’ve made yet. Short of sabotage (you’d need a lot of faith in Steven’s cooking abilities to think that necessary), could we be looking at a faulty appliance here? This year’s appliance sponsor is Harvey Norman. What a missed opportunity to highlight their warranty and returns policy!

I did notice that only Tash seemed to be supporting Steven. Not even supporting, but the only one actually looking at his cooking. I probably would have been following the venison dish, too, just because there was more direct competition on that dish. But that might lend something to the Tash-is-isolated-in-the-house theory. I don’t know why. She seems nice.

15 Simon { 06.03.14 at 2:10 pm }

Littlepetal, well the Vic Markets one on tomorrow was filmed on 26th Feb and I believe Marco’s thing was around Southbank on 24th March so maybe in three weeks time, after the Dubai/not Dubai one.

16 brain dead dave { 06.03.14 at 2:16 pm }

The amatas have to identify from 15 kinds of cheese tonight for ammunity tonight.
I would have preferred Steven’s disaster of missing alaments to eating Sarah’s plastic or Byron’s string. He didn’t cry much,either. Tick.

With Ch 10’s budget it is as likely to be Dubbo as Dubai.

17 Littlepetal { 06.03.14 at 2:19 pm }

Thanks Simon for the timeline. So we have this from Nick who was eliminated before the start of MKR:

“We used to watch MKR we were in lockdown in the house.
“We could not believe the standard of food they were cooking compared to what we doing every day.”

Maybe the eliminated contestants were given a second chance. Also they must have relax the rules. Before you can’t watch anything on TV.

18 Simon { 06.03.14 at 2:31 pm }

Benji, I noticed the same thing too. Tash was the only one supporting Steven all the way through based on the editing, with a little look in from Brent and Colin. Sam & Kira seemed to be the only one support Sarah while Amy & Tracey for Byron.

However, there were a disproportionate number of people supporting Ben when he clearly seemed the most on top of it out of all the contestants and the one that least needed it. I don’t know why but that kind of rubs me up the wrong way for some reason.

I know people will go off into their own groups but that group seems particularly cliquey. Like they’re the “cool” group and the rest are outsiders. Considering Emilia is in this group, it makes me wonder if they’re the ones alienating people rather than people alienating themselves from the group. Tash hasn’t done anything that I’ve seen on camera that would indicate that she’s nasty or is two-faced. Being the only one supporting a poor performer like Steven says a lot about her character. As Jules Allen indicated in her Australian Story piece, you can’t hide from the camera.

19 Andrea { 06.03.14 at 2:38 pm }

I noticed that too, Simon, the lack of support for Steven. Tasha seems like a nice girl.
The peanut gallery should be banned, its too much of a distraction.
Soon there will be no guys left, some we barely know.

20 Robin { 06.03.14 at 3:07 pm }

@Benji I thought it was the faulty appliance too! Or he just didn’t turn it on.

It wouldn’t be the first time they had dodgy machines in MC. I remember Adam Liaw said something like that during outdoor challenges the contestants would race to get the ovens that weren’t facing the wind because they were dodgy. Also how many times have we heard the contestants say that their oven doesnt seem to be heating up enough?

21 Adrianna { 06.03.14 at 3:35 pm }

Missed the ep last night, stayed off the internet cos thought of catching it online this morning, then heard the spoiler on radio!!
Came here, and looks like I didn’t miss much.
Seems like the long promo is more interesting, might go off and look for it on ch 10’s website now.

22 Gidgitvonlarue { 06.03.14 at 4:19 pm }

I missed last night but I have not seen any good cooking from Ben. He’s constantly saying ‘I’ve done this a hundred times’ blah blah but then messes it up like making pasta (mean while next to him the gay girl is nailing it) – then the Thai challenge where he shows off ‘I know Thai food, I cook it all the time’ and does possibly the worst most tasteless dish. I think he’s all talk, no skills. As the great Han Solo once said ‘great, don’t get cocky kid!’.

23 Culinary Boner { 06.03.14 at 5:09 pm }

Yep Gidgetvonlarue@22…
as Matt ‘Chewbacca’ Preston would say when presented with his 15th smashing dessert for the evening, “RAWRRURURRAWRRURRURRAWR” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3sBks5o_8

24 lulu { 06.03.14 at 6:53 pm }

I agree Littlepetal, the pressure tests are ridiculous. I don’t mind technical difficulty, but these are more about chucking 2000 elements on a plate in a short time. Therefore, it’s about quantity, not quality, speed, not finesse.
Those pro chefs last night looked like a pair of thugs who needed a good scrub, and their ‘dessert’ was one of the dumbest things I’ve seen.

Also agree with Benji re use of the word ‘cook.’ I think Tracy started it. I mean, if you say “I had a good cook today,” that can be ambiguous.

25 brain dead dave { 06.03.14 at 6:58 pm }

“I had a good cook today. I made just under a kilo of crystal meth”

26 lulu { 06.03.14 at 7:14 pm }

Haha bdd, that wasn’t even what I had in mind!

27 brain dead dave { 06.03.14 at 7:23 pm }

Yes, lulu , I figured your angle was different in the carnal sense right?…. but as an Underbelly fan , I know when Tony Mokbel employs/persuades someone to do a cook, he’s not fussed whether the individual concerned skillz include knowing if a pannacotta is properly set or not.

28 Georgie { 06.03.14 at 7:27 pm }

I had a good cook last weekend and a pretty ordinary cook yesterday. I fancy a good cook – so he can make my brekkie the next morning.

29 Georgie { 06.03.14 at 9:06 pm }

Kylie Kwong said – “this competition is all about the cheese!”

Yep and never a truer word was spoken.

30 Sandii { 06.03.14 at 9:10 pm }

I am calling it… Brent and Emilia something going on. Did anyone notice how familiar he was when they were standing at the end of the show?

31 Littlepetal { 06.03.14 at 9:43 pm }

Few episodes ago I saw Laura resting on Byron’s shoulder. Must keep a close eyes on these 2 couples

32 Reality Raver { 06.03.14 at 9:50 pm }

Georgie – ROFL.

Little Petal and Sandii- I also saw Laura being hands on with Brent in the peanut gallery one time. But as you say he was being friendly with Emelia this ep.

33 Littlepetal { 06.03.14 at 10:00 pm }

Promo looks interesting. Rachel not happy with Tash. Is there a reason why Tash is not getting on with the rest of the contestants as pointed out by some other posters?

34 Sandii { 06.03.14 at 10:00 pm }

Georgie @ 29, I am a bit slow tonight. Funny comment.

35 Sandii { 06.03.14 at 10:03 pm }

RR on one of the first episodes it showed some of the contestants having a slumber party in the MC house lounge. Can you or anyone remember who they were.

36 Simon { 06.03.14 at 10:58 pm }

Littlepetal, that promo did look interesting. There’s nothing I’ve seen on camera that would be a reason for it. She comes off as a genuine and likable person, at least to me.

I’ve been wondering for a while now whether it may possibly be a race thing with a group of the contestants, though not all. It probably isn’t but it’s hard to shake. Too many coincidences. During upstairs/downstairs the team not picked had all the ethnic contestants and it was strange people like Georgia and Nick were picked over Tash given she was proven to be good at desserts and they weren’t, which showed when Tash held up her own with the desserts against the three people from the other team. During Emily’s elimination no one was supporting her, either shouting her name for encouragement or giving advice and the only people to support Steven were Scott & Byron. When it was time for Steve to go, the only person supporting him all the way was Tash. Byron couldn’t because he was in the challenge and Scott was eliminated earlier.

That theory aside though, curious to see tomorrow if Rachel is pissed at Tash for something she said/did or because the boys are only focusing their attention on Tash and ignoring Rachel.

37 Amy { 06.03.14 at 11:01 pm }

I think Tash is my favorite and have also noticed how she’s been a little isolated from the other contestents. Emelia is a smug bitch.

Thought the peanut gallery last night totally crossed the line of helping and cheating. Would like to have seen how Sarah would have gone without all the help she got (cuts of meat etc.) for example..

38 Reality Raver { 06.03.14 at 11:18 pm }

The young ‘uns. Nick definitely, Georgia and Lauren and probably Brent

39 lulu { 06.04.14 at 12:03 am }

Yea bdd @ 27, I was going for carnal, but being a huge Underbelly (and Breaking Bad) fan myself, I prefer your interpretation.
Go Georgie! Perhaps you’re ‘marrying’ the two … like K. Kwong would suggest.

Simon @36, Are you serious?! There’s no race thing going on – if there’s a personality clash (which we’re not privy to), just leave it at that.

40 Simon { 06.04.14 at 1:13 am }

Lulu, if you’re referring to between Rachel & Tash, I agree that looks more like a personality clash. Race doesn’t come into it.

I was more wondering about why someone like Tash, who seemingly doesn’t warrant that sort of isolation, has it, and in turn why Steven had pretty much no support while Ben had the lion’s share. Why Emily had none, Steve had very little & Sean had the most support. I’m not saying it’s definitely a race thing, not at all. It could very well just be an issue of personality or something else. It’s just a nagging feeling I have. Why else would a seemingly nice person like Tash or a humble person like Emily or an easy going guy like Steve get that sort of treatment while others apparently don’t, or at least not that I’ve noticed anyhow.

41 Benji { 06.04.14 at 4:10 am }

Yeah, I’ve wondered about race being a factor, too. My first thought is that it’s really unlikely. Okay, so, yes, sometimes you meet the occasional person who happens to be a racist cow. But at the same time, there are always people defending against racism. Statistically, it’s just really unlikely that half of the contestants would be that prejudice and that racist to form their own white-people-only clique.
Didn’t Deepali receive a lot of help when cooking in eliminations, too? and that was at the start of the competition, before most of the contestants got to know each other.
On the other hand, MasterChef does invite the statistical outliers. I mean, the number of gay Malaysian amateur cooks that have been on the show…

I guess we’ll see in tomorrow’s episode. Hopefully we’ll get to the bottom of this friendless Tash mystery.

42 Simon { 06.04.14 at 6:17 am }

Benji, you’re right she did. I only got the hint of the race thing starting from the upstairs/downstairs team challenge so was only keeping an eye out for it from there. Going back to watch the episode unfortunately only reinforces it. Amy & Tash the only vocal supporters with Emily for moral support. Overwhelming majority supporting Jaime but a decent amount of support for Nick too.

I agree that the odds seem very unlikely and there could be other reasons for it, but given even Deepali’s elimination fits that narrative… Too many coincidence.

Benji, you also have an interesting point regarding outliers. Forget about gay Malaysians, what about Malaysians in general. If I’m not mistaken, just in this year’s comp there’s Emily, Steven & Tash, not to mention Poh, Billy, Alvin & Adam Liaw that come to mind.

On a side note, watching that episode I’ve forgotten how much I liked Scott. Wish he stayed in the comp longer.

43 Littlepetal { 06.04.14 at 7:49 am }

I like Tash too and from her blog I thought she looks like someone easy to get along with.

I do know the 4 young guns are buddy buddy as mentioned by Nick. Laura, Georgia, Nick and Brent, they want to do something together.

Now I have a bit more sympathy for Byron. To be fair he is trying his best. Make it more difficult if you have a reading problem and try to read recipes. May be he is mildly dyslexic?

44 Jane { 06.04.14 at 8:44 am }

Sorry but I don’t think it has anything to do with racism. It’s more likely that Emily, Tash, Steven etc. (who coincidently have quieter personalities from what we see compared to a lot of the others, including Deepali) just weren’t as popular in the house as Jamie or Nick etc. People are able to not get along without race being a factor.

45 Evan { 06.04.14 at 9:14 am }

Ben and Jamie seem to be the popular ones in the house – the dominant group is based around those two.
The smaller clique seems to be………….Byron, Tracy, Amy, Rachel.
The only people who were supporting Rachel last night against Matt Stone seemed to be Byron and a few of the girls.