Masterchef Australia – The Cheese Taste Test And Matt Stone Is In The Kitchen

It was a cheese taste test that Brent, Renae and Rachael had to compete in to get the opportunity to have a crack at an immunity pin. Rachael thought she had no hope but she had not counted on the other two imploding.

Brent selected Bocconcini then Renae tasted a few before going for parmasen and Rachael picked feta.  Brent then went for ricotta, Reane then went for swiss cheese but they asked for more infomation. She said gruyere and she was wrong. Rachael then went for the cheddar. Brent picked the soft cheese and said it was camebert. Uh oh that was stupid as it was brie and it was always going to be a 50/50 bet. And Rachael should buy a lottery ticket as she was the only one left standing.

For viewers playing along at home it would be great if they told us what the rest of the cheeses were. Particularly what the “swiss cheese” was, it looked like Jarlsberg but not 100 per cent sure.

Rachael was going head to head with Matt Stone. And all the females in the peanut gallery were fan girling, even Sam.  Renae must have been peeved about stuffing up the challenge as they looked like a perfect match. As usual Rachael gets more time to cook and Matt picked the core ingredient. The choice was between ham and and cheese. She did not have her game face on and let it be known she did not like cooking with cheese. So of course he chose cheese. Also King Island is a sponsor…..

Rachael went retro and was making Cheese Souffle and Lobster Thermidor. Kylie seemed to being a tad saracastic when she turned to Matt and said “She is good at marrying ingredients”. Matt looked on worried at her ripping up the lobster technique. However that was fine but she burnt her first bit of roux for the souffle and had to re do it.

Kylie spent more time with Matt then Rachael. But then the peanut gallery were gushing over Matt as well. His techniques are interesting and he seems to be great with flavour and he was fun maybe he should be a judge on the show.

Rachael after hearing Matt was making a cheese salad thought she migh have a shot at winning the immunity pin and and had a BRAIN EXPLOSION and decided to add a mango. Yep seafood, cheese and fruit is such a great combination. Finally Kylie stepped in and told her to think about it and hinting “don’t let it fall over at the last moment”.

At judging time the judges pretended not to know the Carrot and Mangego Salad was Matt’s. George said it was a delicious dish and Matt said he was getting a lot of salt and that he needed acidity and sweetness.

When Rachael’s dish was presented George just looked perplexed at the mango on the plate. As Gary said it was odd. Gary liked the lobster and grilled mango but said he did not like the cheese souffle with it. George said the combinations of flavours were a train wreck. Bye bye immunity pin.

And then they went through the farce of asking whose dish was whose. They scored Matt a 23 out of 30 which for the chef is a tad low. However Rachael only got fives so no immunity pin for her.

1 Littlepetal { 06.04.14 at 9:51 pm }

Its so funny. Initially I like Rachel. But now I prefer her to be the shock elimination and not Tash. The FB also have posters not liking Rachel. How things changed.

Rachel wanted to make the aioli but did they serve with the aioli?

I also noticed a girl in black helping in one of the stalls. Maybe to collect the money.

2 daisy { 06.04.14 at 9:56 pm }

I’m only up to just after the shop, so I can’t read your comments yet, but I would have gone for Indian street foods, eg bahji, samosas, or Malay street food, potato curry puffs, because the ingredients are cheap, they would smell good and draw in diners, and they would be quick to make on the spot once prepped.

The burgers seemed the most stupid idea because they spent so much money on a mountain of bread (tummy glue).

3 Amy { 06.04.14 at 9:58 pm }

Dear Matt Stone,

Love,
Amy

4 Littlepetal { 06.04.14 at 9:59 pm }

daisy, if they have more time, curry puffs is a good idea. But they have less than 2 hrs of prep time.

5 Simon { 06.04.14 at 10:01 pm }

Oh this episode frustrated me sooo much. I think I have a stress headache. It’s not even just the Tash/Rachael/Rest of Red Team (btw, what enthusiasm when they found out in the car that they were on the same team). Saving the money was such a dumb idea. Putting up something that was time consuming is crazy. Bao is not Korean.

That smug look of satisfaction that Emilia shot Tash at the end pissed me off no end. Tash didn’t deserve that or the shit that she got from Rachael. Tash has the right idea from the beginning and if she didn’t go against her team and ordered the ingredients for the churros, the loss would have been even more embarrassing.

On the positive, Team Yellow absolutely deserved their win and glad to see that they absolutely smashed everyone else. Looks like they would have had a ball during the challenge. I wonder how close the challenge would have been if Green went with frozen chips instead.

Also, great to see that the usual suspects weren’t put up as captains.

6 Simon { 06.04.14 at 10:04 pm }

Littlepetal #52, it was the same on Twitter. Rachael was savaged during her little spat. I was surprised how one-sided it was in favour of Tash. Was expecting more Rachael supporters to chime in.

7 Littlepetal { 06.04.14 at 10:14 pm }

So Matt Preston said the buns (bao) were good. Really?

Not sure Coles sell those frozen buns and if they do they can’t be that cheap.

8 lulu { 06.04.14 at 10:17 pm }

I think they’ll get rid of Rictus tomorrow.

9 Jay { 06.04.14 at 10:18 pm }

You have to spend money to make money – simple mathematics should have told them that they could potentially at the very least double the money they didn’t spend at the supermarket but it wasn’t going to increase by holding onto it.
If the red team had avoided the elimination challenge it would’ve been interesting to see if Rachael was big enough to give Tash credit.

10 daisy { 06.04.14 at 10:40 pm }

Jay @47, I’d like to take the credit but you could look up at the screen at any time during MC and you would be likely to see George’s raised konker.

11 daisy { 06.04.14 at 10:45 pm }

Littlepetal@54, hmmm, maybe I would have lost to the team throwing burgers in buns.
You know I love curry puffs.
I had a Thai chicken salad at the VAT for lunch today. There was nothing Thai about it but it was light and delicious.

12 Littlepetal { 06.04.14 at 10:47 pm }

The empanada is similar to curry puff. Just different fillings.

13 Littlepetal { 06.04.14 at 10:48 pm }

Also not sure why they didn’t bake the empanada.

14 daisy { 06.04.14 at 11:04 pm }

Littlepetal I googled Indian street foods and there are lots of low cost tasty treats they could have made but they would have to be familiar with them.
I know there are spicy potato balls for instance, and pakora are easy. But I would be biased toward those kind of foods rather than burgers or Mexican.

15 Smythe { 06.05.14 at 12:18 am }

Empanadas could have been smaller. They should have thought about how long it would take to make the dough and purchased ready made dough. Yellow team members used their brains and knew not a good thing to try to make tortillas from scratch. Good for Tash for pushing the churros…much faster to make and very popular. Too bad it was too little and too late. This was a profit challenge, not a quality challenge, although they should be cooking quality food.

Bottomline: need a quantity of food…..fast cooking, food that is popular and easy to eat and lots of it. Green and yellow teams got the brief down perfectly.

Hope Rachael is the one to get booted but have a feeling it might be Tash.

16 Adrianna { 06.05.14 at 12:30 am }

How stressful was this ep?? Gosh, I actually gave Emilia the finger while watching cos she’s just soo freaking annoying!
Red team was gone from the start. They should’ve just made the curry puffs that Tash made a few backs in one of the inventions tests. Then again, they probably wouldn’t listen her anyay.
If Tash goes tomorrow, I might just stop watching.

17 Wildrice { 06.05.14 at 12:40 am }

Nice to see Amy comforting Georgia a number of times when judges delivering their opinions at the end; Georgia and Laura are so young and good to see people looking out for them

18 Wildrice { 06.05.14 at 12:43 am }

I thought not having info on kitchen equipment was a bit rough on blue team. What if they got to the markets and no one had a deep fryer, they would all have been stuffed (ok, so deep fryer is the first thing in the kitchen at a market stall) but seemed unfair to Blue team that they were thrown right off their plan because they did not have the right equipment

19 Smythe { 06.05.14 at 1:00 am }

Wildrice, you are right. They shouldn’t have to make assumptions regarding what type of equipment is available to them. Blue team planned to steam buns and had to make adjustments because of the lack of appropriate equipment. On the other hand, if you are running a restaurant and equipment breaks down during service you have to be able to adapt and figure out something else to use. Blue team did this but it didn’t work they way they wanted it to work. They also lost time during prep when they started to prepare for 3 different buns rather than one.

The yellow team had to sell more than 250 tortillas to make over $3000 (if they were selling for $12.00 each but then towards end they lowered the price) . They were busy and didn’t seem like they could sell that much but then so much is edited out.

20 daisy { 06.05.14 at 1:03 am }

Hi Smythe. Just saying hi. Busy talking boys with Eliza.

21 Smythe { 06.05.14 at 1:48 am }

Hi Daisy…enjoy talking boys and have a great day.
BTW, I purchased a plaid suit for my dog to go w/ his new cravat. Just kidding.

22 daisy { 06.05.14 at 2:00 am }

You know you did.

23 Smythe { 06.05.14 at 2:03 am }

OK….you’ve got me. I will be taking him for a long walk this afternoon in his new outfit. Did I tell you his name is “Preston”? 😉

24 daisy { 06.05.14 at 2:06 am }

Now everyone on RR will know, “Hey. There goes Smythe and Preston”. Have fun being famous. :)

25 Smythe { 06.05.14 at 2:08 am }

Or infamous. I have 2 other dogs….Georgie and Mehi. AND Georgie is a rat terrier.

26 daisy { 06.05.14 at 2:10 am }

Night Smythe.
Night Preston.
Night Georgie and Mehi.

27 Eliza { 06.05.14 at 2:27 am }

No one joins us talking about boys on the WLCTT thread. We must be the only boy-crazy ones here, Daisy. I think we’re holding up the ratings too, by the sounds of things.

My dog’s name was Luke.. most random name ever.. people used to always laugh when we’d tell them. One time, when my brother’s friend Luke was over, my mum yelled slightly at dog Luke to sit down and my brother’s friend replied “awwwww” looked sad, and sat down. It was hilarious. He was a kelpie/cattle dog so I couldn’t dress him up, he didn’t like it.

In Japan I think they think that a dog is naked unless it has some form of clothing on.. booties, vest, hat. I think that you’re dog will look very shmick by the sounds of it, Smythe.

28 daisy { 06.05.14 at 2:30 am }

No longer boy crazy Eliza, but it was a nice trip down memory lane. Until tomorrow when GVL gives us our next installment.

29 Eliza { 06.05.14 at 2:46 am }

^^ I was being tongue in cheek re being boy crazy 😉 WLCTT transports us back to 16 year old versions of ourselves.

30 daisy { 06.05.14 at 2:50 am }

This is like those sleep overs when you talk until 3.00 am.

And then finally fall asleep drooling on your pillow.
I wonder if I will drool over Leigh in my dreams.
He can keep the whiskers but he needs a boys name.
Especially when you book a shampoo and cut from Leigh.
My hairdresser is a guy. We chat up big time.

I went back to 18. I was still shy at 16.

31 Tamara { 06.05.14 at 7:15 am }

When Laura said she’d told Byron to take his shirt off and he refused… Such a wasted opportunity! Byron reminds me of Callum from way back, very sweet and cute but Byron’s hotter 😉

32 Evan { 06.05.14 at 8:19 am }

Why is nobody blaming Brent for the red team stuffing up? He was the team captain after all, he should have immediately taken on board Tash’s suggestion about the chirros.
It was a no brainer that the yellow team would win – best menu idea, best organised team, 4 of the best cooks still left in the competition.
Yes, Byron is cute, you can’t deny that one.
The Ten promos make it look like Rachael goes home tonight, which probably means in reality that Tash gets booted instead.

33 Littlepetal { 06.05.14 at 8:32 am }

Blue team only bought 500 buns and was going to sell 2 buns for $12.

The equipment issue didn’t affect them in the end as Ms Smart, Emily said we sold out.

They didn’t buy more ingredients but if they did sell 250 portions at $12, they will get $3000. Why their takings is so low must be they sell many at discounted price. Why? Because they tasted yak as George said the pork was boiled and not nice.

34 Smythe { 06.05.14 at 8:46 am }

Daisy, Off to take Preston, Georgie and Mehi for a morning walk w/ Preston wearing his new outfit.

Of course I would never name my dogs after the MC trio. :-)

35 Emma { 06.05.14 at 9:57 am }

Everyone on the red team were being such jerks to Tash. I don’t understand why no one seems to like her – she had the right idea with the churros and if everyone on the team had just listened to her from the fucking start, it might have been the blue team in the elimination and THAT would have been hilarious!

36 Culinary Boner { 06.05.14 at 10:20 am }

Brent should been on MasterShitforbrains, not MasterChef.
First the dumb-arsed move the other night of the claiming he knew 4 of the remaining cheeses but then immediately choosing one he didn’t know at all. Followed up last night by leading the gang in dismissing Tash’s suggestion of churros out of hand and then backtracking when it was all too late.

37 daisy { 06.05.14 at 10:25 am }

Smythe, that is so cute, and debonaire. Does he drive a bmwor a vintage citroen?
He definitely looks like a glass ful kind of guy.

A canine John Steed.

38 nibehlung { 06.05.14 at 10:45 am }

Team Red was fucked the minute they ignored Tash’s suggestion about having Churros. They are quick to churn out and that should be the first thing they fry while someone continues making the Empanadas. If they had sold that first instead of later, they would have made a lot more money since they weren’t sold at discounted prices 5 minutes before closing down.

The Empanadas were also too big. Of course, it takes forever in the fryer. On top of that, why is it no one thought of heating up the fryer 15 minutes before they actually want to fry? That way the oil would be hot enough for quick frying. There’s just a lack of vision through and through for the Red team.

I can’t wait to see Rachel and Emelia off my screen though. Those two were so annoying last night. I’m disappointed in Brent after yesterday’s brain freeze and now his lack of vision in leading the team.

39 daisy { 06.05.14 at 10:59 am }

I like the pace of these challenges but not the cooking. I mean any canteen lady could win this if the burger team was in the top two.
I think burgers, chips, sandwiches hot dogs are not, or rather should not be MC fodder.
Now if it was a battle of the school canteen ladies, then yeah.

I would have chosen the red teams pasty out of those 4 options but none looked appetising.

40 Smythe { 06.05.14 at 11:22 am }

Daisy, Preston and friends have been cruising around in a Mustang Shelby.

Doggie driving lessons:

Smaller empanadas accompanied by 1 or 2 churros and team red may have won. Then again one team could have made fried mac and cheese balls ala Chloe and Kelly (infamous MKR team) LOL.

41 abc { 06.05.14 at 11:25 am }

hey!! i did not watch it yesterday!!! but please tell me Tash is safe and she is not the shock elimination!!!

42 Wild rice { 06.05.14 at 11:30 am }

There was a lot of discussion among the red team about the size of the empanadas. They had to change original plan from small to big as big was quicker to cook; this is why Tash did a test to make sure the bigger empanada did not fall apart in the fryer

43 daisy { 06.05.14 at 11:44 am }

Smythe, now I am imagining what might happen next time I take a taxi to the airport.

“Where to mam, woof”.

44 brain dead dave { 06.05.14 at 11:45 am }

Rachael cries too much. It should be instant alimination for that.

45 Frenchy { 06.05.14 at 10:45 pm }

Carole (post 31) Camember and Brie have a very different taste (and texture). Problem is that it’s nearly impossible to get proper camember in Australia and it should be illegal to call Camember what they are selling in supermarkets or delis. Camember is way more pugent (it’s a pretty stinky cheese) and has none of the creaminess of the Brie. You would probably be able to get your hands on some if you go to a place like Milk the Cow in St Kilda, and you would then taste the difference (it’s a beautiful cheese, especially with a fresh baguette and a glass of red wine, pure heaven).:o)

46 雑誌でmanhattan portage マンハッタンポーテージ ダック コーデュラナイロン { 09.25.14 at 1:50 pm }

It’s appropriate time to make a few plans for the
future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this publish and if I may just I want to suggest you some fascinating things or suggestions.
Perhaps you could write next articles relating to this
article. I wish to learn more issues about it!

My website; 雑誌でmanhattan portage マンハッタンポーテージ ダック コーデュラナイロン