Catfish The Series To Air On ABC2 It Might Give Insight In How It Happened To Casey Donovan.

shulman and joseph

ABC2 continues its love affair with reality TV shows (this is not a negative thing) with news it will start screening the MTV show Catfish.

Catfishing is when a person in a relationship online with a person who is not who they say they are. The series follows the journey of some of these people to find out who is actually at the other end of the computer and also examines the motives behind these hoaxes.

It is not as uncommon as we think and Casey Donovan revealed in her recent memoir that she herself had been in a six year online relationship with a man that turned out to be a woman. In fact she was engaged to them! People believe what they want to believe.

It is one of those shows which is compulsive viewing and it has you flipping between saying “You can’t be serious” to having empathy to the protagonists involved.

Even though Catfish the series has been revealed to have some producer interference. The Catfish investigators Nev Shulman and Max Joseph do have to investigate and have to follow the clues to get an outcome. The series started after Shulman was himself catfished and he did a documentary about it. By the way both Shulman and Joseph are easy on the eye.

Series one of the show is on ABC2 starting Friday June 13 at 8.30pm. Highly recommended.

1 Eliza { 06.05.14 at 2:02 pm }

This show is addictive once you start watching.

2 Izobel2 { 06.05.14 at 2:09 pm }

Dr Phil has interesting Catfish episodes at times. The old ‘smuggle the cold hard cash in the cornflakes’ episode comes to mind…
I’ve only seen a bit of this show, as I find Catfish stories fascinating, but what I saw seemed almost scripted and a bit try hard.
I’ll give it a go though, thanks RR (and Miss Eliza!)

3 Eliza { 06.05.14 at 3:21 pm }

It is pretty scripted, Izobel2, but I still somehow find it compelling! I know I am obsessed, but have you checked out Burning Love yet? Daisy is onto it now. It is only short episodes and about 10 episodes a season.. but I laugh hysterically every episode. The bachelor (he is the director and married to the writer) in the first season is perfect.. he acts perfectly dumb, naive and narcissistic, it’s great. The host is a hoot too.. you can tell he just wants to slap ‘Mark’ in the face a lot of the time.

4 daisy { 06.05.14 at 3:46 pm }

5 daisy { 06.05.14 at 3:47 pm }

You never can be too careful girls. You might THINK you are talking to a sweet old lady, but she could be hot like Jessica Alba…or Princess. I keep saying Princess when I mean Ballerina.

6 Eliza { 06.05.14 at 4:03 pm }

Hey well I look like a young Grace Kelly.. or maybe I am really an old Mickey Rourke??!!

A sweet old lady, Daisy? I thought you were a ratbag?

Uh oh, on BL they just ate steamed dog with brown sauce.. first time either of them had ever had brown sauce.

7 Calorie Loader { 06.05.14 at 4:18 pm }

And here’s dum dum here thinking this is a nature documentary.

Eliza@6 Not seen BL but clearly eating steamed dogs is a regular occurrence for these people? Was it a designer doodle or just regular mutt?

8 Eliza { 06.05.14 at 4:24 pm }

CL, I think you would enjoy it. It is a very spot of spoof of the shows and most of the actors (some are just annoying, more so on the Bachelorette season) are really spot on, especially Mark.

I guess eating dog isn’t an issue for them.. no specification as to the breed. They were at a Chinese restaurant and neither ‘spoke Chinese’ so just ordered by number.

9 Eliza { 06.05.14 at 4:27 pm }

Actually, on the post about ruining reality shows, the first terrible show idea I had was about this show.. Catfish, which would be an actual show about catfish.

I have been so wrapped up in mucking around on the computer I just realised I was watching a show about American couples and their relation to the 50 Shades of Grey novel.. Bruises are a ‘badge of honour’ to this one lady..

10 Calorie Loader { 06.05.14 at 5:15 pm }

Eliza@ 8 Oh dear, I was just mucking around, thinking you meant they were eating regular hot dogs. In that case, I better go hide my own mutt (not a euphemism). Thanks for the info on BL though. Apart from the dog eating (I’ll just have to cover my eyes) it sounds pretty funny (they do have a cazillion shows to mock. A WLCTT spoof would be good esp featuring JugsBukka and ForCastrationJemma).

11 Jay { 06.05.14 at 7:12 pm }

Hi Eliza – where can I find Burning Love to watch it sounds like my kind of show.
I saw the original episode of Catfish with Nev Shulman on Sunday Best on ABC2 it was very sensitively handled but ultimately very sad. You ended up feeling for the poor woman who was pretending to be something other as her life was pretty miserable.

12 daisy { 06.05.14 at 10:03 pm }

Jay, hubby googled and downloaded the first series.

13 Eliza { 06.06.14 at 1:16 am }

Haha, CL.. they didn’t show them eating the dog. It was just another way for the show to point out the stupidity of the contestants that a) they can’t even order at a Chinese restaurant with a waiter that speaks fluent English because they “can’t speak Chinese” and b) that they aren’t even shocked they ate dog/have supposedly ate it before?!.

Jay, it is a little hard to find in a way. I just stream shows, not savvy enough with the downloads, torrents, etc.. whatever they are. I have been using this site:

Just start here and continue clicking through each episode (I find Vodlocker to be a good host video). It starts to repeat itself after about episode 7 (ep 8 on this site is a catch up featured in season 2), but once you watch the finale episode then that is the end of the season (they are only short) and you go onto Julie’s season. Also don’t pay attention to the names of each episode as they seem to be out of whack. It looks as though are missing the more recent episodes so I think just google them to find them. If you have Foxtel, season 3 (Bachelor Pad spoof) is on E!

Hope that helps!

P.S Daisy please tell me when you see the end of season/mini catch up segment with Mark and the host.. I almost DIED with laughter..

14 Twinkle { 06.06.14 at 9:19 am }

I always assume everyone lies online when on messageboards, etc., … you might be surprised to learn my name isn’t really “Twinkle” πŸ˜‰

15 Carol (without the e) { 06.06.14 at 11:44 am }

Can I just say, and I speak from experience, that I think it’s pretty hard to imagine chatting to someone online… falling in love… AND HAVING IT GO ON FOR SIX YEARS WITHOUT MEETING AND THEN HAVING A LESBIAN SEXUAL EXPERIENCE BECAUSE YOUR “BOYFRIEND” WANTED YOU TO DO IT.

Come on Casey… admit you are a totally gullible stupid idiot!!!!!

Back in 2001 I met someone online… chatted on the computer and on the phone… and 6 weeks later I bought a ticket to the UK to meet him. We said we loved each other… and 13 years later we are still friends (long distance love affairs don’t work – better to be just good friends).

Now had I not gone over there… I can promise you that no-one… I MEAN NO-ONE… could convince me to have a sexual experience with someone while I was in love with someone else. It’s laughable.

When I read that story about Casey Donovan it just made me look at her in a completely different light. It’s bad enough to be tricked into doing what she did… and I’m sure she was devastated to finally learn the truth. But to then turn around and tell the whole world about it??? No amount of money would entice me to embarrass myself further than I’d already done.

I saw a documentary recently about the girl who pretended to be 3 different boys and added her girlfriends in Facebook and started relationships with them. They met face to face although she rarely spoke and always wore hats. She used to just point to things and grunt (wouldn’t that have you running for the hills?). It went as far as them having sex (yes… she pulled out a dildo under the blankets). Because the girls were virgins they didn’t know what to expect.

Now when it all came out… 2 of these girls were interviewed. One wanted to remain nameless and was interviewed as a silhouette (some of her brain still works thankfully). The other one was quite happy to sit up there on worldwide TV screens and just blurt out every embarrassing detail about how stupid she’d been to fall for it. Yes… one of her friends… pretended to be a boy… and she fell for it and never recognised her.

The online/real world can be a fascinating place… but dangerous for those less intelligent ones. Look at the 60+ granny in a 4 year relationship with a 20+ Nigerian that she sent all her money to.

I think if it was my mother I would have had her signed in. There’s so much in the news about these scammers… and the internet is full of stories about people who have been burned.

So anyway… that’s my rant about stupid gullible people.

I know I sound like a cold hearted bitch who can’t appreciate how vulnerable some people can be. I can only assure you I’m not…

16 daisy { 06.06.14 at 12:19 pm }

OK, Eliza. The weekend is a good time for extras. Actually hubby didn’t seem to mind it either.
I can’t stream or anything. Iam as tech useless as JJ because I have an IT expert.

Calorie. The dog eating wouldn’t have really happened. It is a just pretend Bach.

Carol without, that doco, The Girl who was three boys, was so fascinating.
There are a lot of stupid people.
Hello people! I would be concerned if a guy/girl started asking me for money, even if it was in real life. It’s not just on-line that it might send up an alarm bell.
I am old fashioned but if I dated a guy who forgot his wallet, I’d be forgetting his number and face quick smart. Can’t bear a tight wad or moocher, be that gf or bf. I am pretty generous but won’t be mooched on.

And those people who send money to on-line ‘lovers’ are nuts. Who asks for money, in life or on-line?
Well kids and teenagers might. But other than that…wakey, wakey!

17 daisy { 06.06.14 at 12:20 pm }

And Carol, I get that you can be sympathetic and still want to shake them.
I forget the total money that leaves Australia for Africa every year but it is phenomenal.

18 daisy { 06.06.14 at 12:25 pm }

And Twinkle, I’m big black guy from Nigeria and grandma needs kidney. Do you have spare and some cash to buy cow. Just send Western Union please. And I really love you and we will be together forever.
Roses are Red.
Please to put kidney in esky. Love Brian.

19 Eliza { 06.06.14 at 2:49 pm }

^ LOL

I get what you’re saying, Carol. I’m sure most people would find it hard to understand how people end up in these charades, especially for such long periods of time.. They must be seriously deluded. It’s always beyond understanding when you hear stories of people sending money to people online.. I don’t think most people could understand it! Like you, when I hear these stories I think why.. How.. ??!!

20 Jay { 06.06.14 at 8:36 pm }

Thanks for the info Eliza.
I had a call from someone running the computer scam the other day and really wanted to ask “Wow, does anyone still fall for this?” But apparently they must or they wouldn’t still be trying it.

21 daisy { 06.06.14 at 8:43 pm }

Oh yeah, those idiots who call up and tell you,
“Mam, there is something wrong with your computer, Mam”.

I go, ” Oh my God, no. Not AGAIN.” Then I pretend the phone line has trouble, then I speak, then I rest, the phone and so on until they give up.
You might as well keep them on the line as long as possible.

22 Jay { 06.06.14 at 11:55 pm }

You may have seen/heard this daisy but if you haven’t try googling Tom Mabe telemarketer murder prank.
Tom Mabe is a U S comedian and I think we all wish we’d thought of this!

23 daisy { 06.07.14 at 12:26 am }

I think I remember this, Jay. It was very clever, if I recall correctly.
I’ll google now.

Oh hang, I remember. It was hilarious and I was wishing I could be that good.

24 daisy { 06.07.14 at 1:24 am }

Thanks Jay. I enjoyed it all over again.
I also liked the “911. What is your emergency”.

You have to prank these guys good though because if they know they are being punked they can get nasty.
Hubby made one mad once by telling him off and we got called and hung up on every dinner time for a week or so until we stopped answering the phone at that time.
But it is funny to punk them if you’re well prepared.

25 Jay { 06.07.14 at 2:18 am }

I’ll check out the 911 call you mentioned. I have 2 problems in terms of plunking them: the first is I’m not quick enough and the second is that I still sound like a little girl – I’ve been asked if my Mummy is home. I usually reply that as it has been 30 years since I lived with her I really couldn’t say whether she is home or not.
I think you may have thought that I’m a man but I’m so definitely not. I chose a gender ambiguous name on purpose and I think it is quite appropriate that you found out here that I’m I’m female.

26 Jay { 06.07.14 at 2:23 am }

Yep – I like the 911 – thanks.

27 daisy { 06.07.14 at 8:10 am }

Nope Jay, I def did not take you for a guy. Not even a gay guy.
Secondly….you won’t believe this….but I am told the same thing about my phone voice. I wish the rest of me matched my voice age.

So that could be our punk. I am pretty sure that Tom Mabe wasn’t ad libbing. He seemed to have his lines prepared. You just put your script next to the phone. But 911 can only work if the caller speaks first. Since the telemarketers we get are calling from India they won’t know we don’t have 911.
Oh and with our young voices we could probably make a good living from phone sex.
But then I really wouldn’t know what to say.

Oh and don’t confuse your phone sex job with your telly marketing punk or they will NEVER stop calling.

28 Jay { 06.07.14 at 8:27 pm }

Hmm you might be onto something daisy – I’ve been looking for a career change. But I would be tempted to say half through “Come on you’re not seriously turn red on by this are you? It’s a bit silly.”

29 daisy { 06.07.14 at 8:45 pm }

I know Jay. I think we would either burst out laughing or freak out.
Today watching DrPhil I saw people who liked to dress as dogs and eat dog food, and a woman who tried to breast feed a rabbit. And I bet it gets worse than that. The world is a scary place.

30 Jay { 06.07.14 at 10:57 pm }

That is beyond weird – I keep meaning to tune into Dr Phil based on other comments you’ve made but I think I should break myself in gently I’m not sure I can cope with too much weirdness in one hit. You’re right there are some very disturbed people out there but I try to keep reminding myself there are some pretty decent folk out there as well.
On the WLCTT page someone had a go at GVL – clearly someone with no sense of humour but it was nice to see posters rallied in support of GVL – so clearly a greater number of people have a sense of humour and also don’t like to see others the target of malice.

31 daisy { 06.07.14 at 11:39 pm }

Did you see Graham Norton last night? It was really funny. There was GN of course, Ricky Gervaise, Ronnie Corbett who was so cute and funny, then Juliette Binoche who was weirdly NOT AMUSED AT ANYTHING.

32 Jay { 06.08.14 at 1:08 am }

I might try to catch it on the channel ten catch up site – sounds like a very funny combination. I think Graham Norton is a hoot, so irreverent.

33 Rosie { 06.08.14 at 11:49 am }

I know I’m a bit behind on this, but I’ve been getting loads of the computer calls lately and I’ve come up with the perfect solution. As soon as they mention the word computer, I interrupt them to say (quite loudly), “But I don’t HAVE a computer!” They hang up in a millisecond. Makes me laugh every time. I feel quite proud of lying to the liars.

34 daisy { 06.08.14 at 1:03 pm }

Oh Rosie (don’t you do that to the boys), that is a good one. I am going to use it.
I will realy play it up. I might say, “Pardon? Are you saying I won a computer?”

Sorry I can’t help bursting into that song at the name Rosie.
And know that wether it’s aloud or not, I am still singing it in my head. :)

35 Rosie { 06.08.14 at 1:22 pm }

Heh. I might try your version next, Daisy. I used to just swear at them until I had one that took it in his stride and insisted he was on the level and I wound up hanging up on him. It’s so much more satisfying when they hang up up on me. But there are just so many of them lately! They are driving me crazy.

36 Rosie { 06.08.14 at 1:26 pm }

Back on topic, I am totally with Carol without the e on this one, how can anyone let such a thing go on for 6 stinkin’ years, and to actually have lesbian sex when you are allegedly straight with someone who is some sort of friend of this “fiancΓ©” just defies belief. Poor Casey has to be one of the neediest people imaginable. And I would have thought telling the would about it would not really be too helpful. Telling a counsellor, yes. The world, no.

37 daisy { 06.08.14 at 1:30 pm }

Rosie@35, I like to cunningly waste their time.
The trick of talking and then resting the phone then talking is a good one. Everytime I pick it up again they are saying, “Mam. You there Mam?” And I go, “Yes” and feign interest like I am some gullible fool.

You have to pull it off though because they might go for revenge call if they catch on to you.

When I was out of action, unable to walk for three months, I realized just how really bad unsolicited phone calls are. I thought of all of the invalids who struggle to the phone just to find out it’s another pest.
In fact I might use that in my next fiction;
“Could you hold while I finish screwing my leg on?”

38 daisy { 06.08.14 at 2:41 pm }

What about asking, “Which computer?”

39 brain dead dave { 06.08.14 at 2:45 pm }

Or “What the f*** is a computer?”

40 daisy { 06.08.14 at 2:56 pm }

Yeah. I like that one πŸ˜†

41 daisy { 06.08.14 at 2:57 pm }

I like making them think they caught one, so I like to nibble the line.

42 daisy { 06.08.14 at 2:58 pm }

What about, “Oh crap. I was just in the middle of having sex, you bastard”.

Or ” As our 100th caller today, you have just won a free ticket from Sydney to Bangalore, India flying Air Asia”.

43 daisy { 06.08.14 at 3:42 pm }

That’s because they say they are calling from Sydney.

44 Carol (without the e) { 06.08.14 at 5:09 pm }

When the hoax people call me about a problem with my computer I ask them if their Grandmother knows what they do for a living… and if she’s proud of them.

You know what? They don’t like that!!

45 Carol (without the e) { 06.08.14 at 5:16 pm }

Hey what did you think of the singer on Graham Norton the other night? Imelda May. I thought she was great!!!!! If you liked her check out a clip on YouTube “Jeff Beck feat. Imelda May – Remember (Walking in the Sand)”. Magic stuff.

46 Jay { 06.08.14 at 8:27 pm }

Great ideas folks. I had thought about stringing them along giving them fake passwords and bank account numbers. But as previously discussed that would take some preparation.
As Rosie said when you stop working you realise how many calls you get (and I’m on the do not call register which seems to have lost its oomph). I also have people coming to my door and at times have had to yell from my bedroom that I’m too ill to come to the door – yet still they persist. Once at I a cold caller at the door make snide remarks about still being in bed and in my PJs in the daytime. No consideration for what it cost me to actually get to the door.
Rosie 36 – that is exactly what I was thinking. It can be cathartic to verbalise mistakes but not to the whole world. And if a man told me he loved me but wanted me to have sex with someone else (man or woman) I’d be outta there! Casey Donovan must be a very unhappy (and as you said needy) girl.

47 Bronwyn { 06.09.14 at 6:43 pm }

Don’t know if anyone caught this program on SBS Insight, talking to people about this very subject. Even after I watched it, I was still left shaking my head!!

48 Anonymous { 06.09.14 at 7:06 pm }

Thanks Bronwyn – it sounds interesting. It’s Jay – I’m not sure why it is coming up anonymous.

49 Gabby { 06.09.14 at 9:13 pm }

Bronwyn, I watched that Insight, I was amazed that people could hand over all of their money to someone they had never met. I was left with my head shaking as well.
When is this show Catfish on TV?