Masterchef Australia – Another One Bites The Dust

Before Brent, Ben, Tash and Rachael could cook they first had to buy the ingredients they needed in an auction. Instead of money they bid with their cook time.

They started off with 100 minutes and the contestants were being strategic to try and burn their competitors cooking time down. Ben’s strategy was to do for the ingredients no one wanted but also bid on the ingredients that the others wanted.

He knew Brent wanted the beef so bid against him so he was forced to spend 25 minutes on it. Rachael went hard for the pork belly against Tash and gave up 25 minutes. Ben got the pigeon for five minutes and the Tash the mackerel for nothing.

This meant Tash could go hard on the Asian vegetable basket and she did, as well as the Asian sauces. In the end she had the least amount of time to cook with but the most harmonious pairings of ingredients.

Ben grabbed the nightshade vegetables for 15 minutes but in his bid to get Brent to pay big for the dairy basket ended it up with it himself when you felt the spice basket Brent was left with would go better with the pigeon. Rachel also forced Brent to pay 25 minutes for the root vegetables.

Rachael after losing out on the Asian basket was left with the forage native vegetables and she was desperate for the pantry staples so bid 25 minutes which  left her with 50 minutes to cook.

Ben had 55 minutes to cook and after being told off by the judges last week about his noodle salad was making Roast Pigeon, Aubergine Puree, and Green Pepper Custard The judges were going around looking confused about what Brent and were doing. But what did they expect when it was a crapshoot with what they got.

With only 30 minutes cooked Tash had to fillet her mackerel which took her 20 minutes not helped that the judges were standing over her.

Rachael who was mixing saltbush with mustard deep fried her pork and it came out black. The peanut gallery were shocked but Rachael was relaxed as she thought it tasted “brilliant”. After Matt tasted it and winced, she realised she had stuffed it so she tried to cook some more pork buy throwing it in the deep fryer as she wept.

Brent who is showing he is a confident cook was making Roasted Ribeye with Carrot Puree and Smoked Beetroot. It looked great on the plate and was a perfect medium rare with no blood dripping out of it. Matt said “every element is a different texture and flavour. It is clever and modern”.

Tash made Harissa-Stuffed Mackerel with Asian Greens. Again the dish looked great and the judges thought it was delicious. They said she is a very clever cook and she also let them know that she was a contender with over 40 good dishes still under her belt.

Ben made Roasted Pigeon with Aubergine Puree and Green Capsicum Custard. Ben told the judges he could win. Gary who was perplexed about the savoury custard had to confess it was ridiculously good.  They also thought the pigeon was cooked perfectly.

At this point you knew Rachael was on shaky ground and props to the judges again that they did not bother to hide it and she was eliminated quickly.

1 Sandii { 06.08.14 at 8:17 pm }

Not surprised emp. They seemed to be getting pretty cosy

2 Sandii { 06.08.14 at 8:29 pm }

Funniest thing ever with Byron …. Haha

3 Littlepetal { 06.08.14 at 8:31 pm }

Can someone pin up Sam’s hair?

4 Jay { 06.08.14 at 8:39 pm }

I’ve only been half watching – what happened that confirmed Brent and Emilia are more than friends?

5 Jay { 06.08.14 at 8:46 pm }

I’ve seen it on the ad but what a horrid thing for Gary to say to Colin about chocolate pasta – I’m over hearing about Gary’s personal dislikes – he better say something nice about it after the ad break!

6 Littlepetal { 06.08.14 at 8:46 pm }

In the Mystery Box challenge, Emelia is giving advice to Brent who is cooking next to her. After good critique from the judges, they have a good hug.

7 Jay { 06.08.14 at 8:49 pm }

Probably should have predicted that!

8 Jay { 06.08.14 at 8:49 pm }

Thanks LP

9 Littlepetal { 06.08.14 at 8:52 pm }

Georgia chocolate dish is quite nice but the chocolate fondant wasn’t gooey.

10 Jay { 06.08.14 at 9:11 pm }

Thank God we won’t hearEmilia being referred to as the pannacotta queen anymore! According to BDD’s rules Emilia should’ve been turfed because of wussy tears! I’m all for that! I’m more forgiving of the two young girls – I think at 18 with that much pressure they’re entitled to a small weep at times.
LP 53 So glad to know I’m not alone regarding Sam’s hair.

11 Littlepetal { 06.08.14 at 9:23 pm }

Emelia must have learned from Emma Dean. Every time when things don’t go well, she turned on the waterworks. It works for Emma Dean.

Impress with Laura and Georgia. I think Laura is good with both savoury and sweets.

12 Getsurenka { 06.08.14 at 9:36 pm }

Laura is talented, modest and kind. 3 qualities which I like in a person. When they failed, she doesn’t blame anyone and instead recognizes that everyone has worked their hardest despite the results. Props to her.

13 Jay { 06.08.14 at 9:37 pm }

I agree LP – the young ones have talent but they also seem reasonably humble and I like that.
I didn’t watch last series so I didn’t know that about Emma Dean – I hope it doesn’t get Emilia through to the end.
It seems to me that the others have bought Emilia and Jamie’s self promotion about what good cooks they are.
It’s after 9:30 so I can now spill that I was really glad to see Colin on the winning team.

14 Simon { 06.08.14 at 9:49 pm }

It was clear Ben was picking the best from faction lines, rather than the best in the comp. Though to pick Jamie seemed like a very odd choice. Also Emilia didn’t hold up her own, being less of a dessert queen and more of a dessert nanny. I know it’s futile but I wish that Emilia learns some humility from this challenge. I like humbled Emilia far more than I do with her royal smugness.

I bet Ben put Tash with Kira and Tracey thinking that Tash would disrupt and ruin the team. Poor deluded fool. Still blind.

I feel bad for Byron. I get the sense that his character in the producer’s eyes is attractive special needs kid. First is was focusing on his learning disability and then that pathetic shot of him eating his dish and then the judges calling on him after they’d selected their Top 5. It looked like it was made out to be funny but I felt awkward and bad for him.

Littlepetal #56, Notice when Emilia gets called up, it’s all hugs but when Brent does, nothing.

15 Littlepetal { 06.08.14 at 9:58 pm }

Calling Byron up was to embarrass him. I felt sorry for him. He is trying his best.

Again was not happy that we didn’t see what the others have dished out from the Mystery Box. Not sure why they didn’t taste Kira’s dish.

16 Jay { 06.08.14 at 10:00 pm }

Simon it would be nice to think that Emilia would ‘learn a little humility’ but I somehow don’t think she will be gracious in defeat and she has certainly not displayed any grace as a victor.
Well said re Byron.

17 Sandii { 06.08.14 at 10:15 pm }

Oh I saw it differently with Byron, I feel bad if they were trying to embarrass him. It is so something I would have done… Eat the dish

18 Sandii { 06.08.14 at 10:16 pm }

Kira definitely thought that her dish was going to be chosen but they called out renae’s name

19 Jay { 06.08.14 at 10:18 pm }

Byron did seem to take it with good humour. I was thinking that if he’d put that together as his first option they would have said to him “Is that really good enough for an hour long challenge?”

20 milk { 06.09.14 at 4:52 am }

“… she realised she had stuffed it so she tried to cook some more pork buy throwing it in the deep fryer as she wept.” I laughed so hard at this, Thank you for the great post, I had a blast reading it.”

21 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 6:18 am }

The quail was overcooked and Emelia’s dish was great. I just don’t buy that Emelia’s dessert was great. Not being nice to her because she is tearing up but being nice because her dessert was great…sorry I don’t buy it. The waterworks are working for her. Boo..hoo. Yes, Littlepetal, Emma Dean all over again. In fact her first dish, the sardine, did not even look good with very little on the plate and yet she was in the top 5.

I am very happy that Colin’s team will be going for the ammunity challenge and I hope one of them gets it.

Tired of Gary making comments that he doesn’t like this food or that food. Luckily Colin did not combine the chocolate pasta with kransky.

22 daisy { 06.09.14 at 9:35 am }

Agree, Smythe. It is annoying when a food critic or judge makes comments such as, “I don’t like peas”.

It’s like a music judge saying, ” You were great but my gf dropped me to that song so I choose theother singer”.

23 Littlepetal { 06.09.14 at 9:44 am }

I think the producers just ask Gary to over dramatise that he hates chocolate pasta (also they already know that Colin’s dish will be good)

24 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 10:22 am }

I could never be a food judge even a vegetarian one because there are many foods I don’t like. :-)

Daisy, what food will Gary choose not to like next? OB…Send in the Clones or Game of Clones.

25 Littlepetal { 06.09.14 at 10:38 am }

I cant be a judge either. I don’t like cheeses, red meat and not good with alcohol.

26 Carole { 06.09.14 at 11:19 am }

Same here, I am very fussy with some foods. I hate feta & ricotta cheese, and they get used A LOT on this show. Also hate mayonnaise & sour cream which also get used a lot plus I like my meat well done & they always serve it raw.

27 Ali { 06.09.14 at 12:10 pm }

I thought calling Byron up was producers’ narky revenge for him eating the lunch they had earmarked as theirs.

My impression was this ep was supposed to be The Resurrection of Emelia. They obviously know she is controversial because the promo was tune in to see what she does next. When Laura’s panna cotta was highly praised by the judges, they immediately cut to Emelia, who was shown smiling. This references when Emelia was team captain and was rather ungracious towards Laura’s panna cotta. However, they could easily have inserted a yawning / eye rolling / frowning shot to make Emelia look bad this time, but didn’t. Also, her tearing up and both she and Brent successfully incorporating a new technique, poaching food in whey (learned from Matt Stone). Contrast Rachael stuffing up native greens, even after a masterclass featuring them.

Although Emelia and Brent seem to have been experimenting in the house together (I mean with the whey technique), wasn’t Laura also leaning on Brent in the gantry in an earlier episode? Maybe he just likes girls – as long as they are good cooks so he can learn from them. I got the distinct impression Emelia wanted Jamie to put his Red Right Hand all over her to comfort her after that dessert stuff up, but he had it crossed firmly across his body, cock blocking her. Either Jamie is very tall or Emelia stopped growing – at seven.

With five good dishes to pick from, I think they rigged it so Ben was chosen as he was hardcore in the auction decreasing others’ times so they wanted him playing hardball on team selection.

Coming to a dinner party near you: chocolate noodles formed in ice water, food poached in whey to add acidic element, plating up in an arc along the perimeter of the dish so it looks like you filched the main part of the meal from the middle of the plate and the diners get a few leftover crumbs on the edge (Matt Stone did this as well).

Colin says he will thank Ben later for putting him in a good group, so I got the impression they were mates. However, I noticed Ben didn’t choose Colin for his own trio of Best Evah cooks in the house.

Tracy did something curious: her chocolate sauce was too thick so she started calling it a “chutney”. Does that mean if I throw up viscous chunky bits, I can call that a chutney as well?

28 Littlepetal { 06.09.14 at 12:19 pm }

Thanks, Ali. I just have some blueberries chutney on toast!!!!

29 emp { 06.09.14 at 12:30 pm }

someone here said they saw amy cook for ammunity during a promo so i think it will be her cooking tomorrow.

30 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 12:35 pm }

Would like to see Colin be the one cooking for ammunity and then win the pin. :-)

31 brain dead dave { 06.09.14 at 12:48 pm }

Kira called her creation a chocolate chutney, too but Jowl$y was guttted that it was too sparsely on the plate.

I guess it’ll be $am getting the flick because eye candy Byron will be okay and we know that Laura lasts at least until Marco Pierre White reign of terror arrives. It’s a sushi challenge,apparently.

32 Littlepetal { 06.09.14 at 12:52 pm }

Agree that its time for Sam to go.

I thought the chocolate chutney was made by Tracy.

33 Anonymous { 06.09.14 at 12:56 pm }

Strategy- one cook with good skills, one – not so hot as helper of good cooks. Still good chance for amunity. Increase chances of own success if alimination comes up. Bases covered. Ben is a player.

34 brain dead dave { 06.09.14 at 1:02 pm }

Hi Littlepetal, both Tracy and Kira called their efforts “chutney” and Gary called another dish a beetroot chocolate chutney when he was judging it. Just watched the encore.

35 daisy { 06.09.14 at 1:04 pm }

Damned right, Ali. Of course blind Frddie could see Byron hopping into his dinner. It was funny and they wanted to highlight it.

Kudos to Byron for sort of giving them the finger and saying, “Well if you won’t bloody taste it, I will”.
I had the same problem in Home Ec in high school.

36 Georgie { 06.09.14 at 1:04 pm }

I think it’s time for Sam to go too – just so she can visit a hairdresser!

37 Littlepetal { 06.09.14 at 1:06 pm }

Thanks, BDD. Its time for another chutney. I think I will have a raspberries chutney this time.

38 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 1:23 pm }

I ate a lot of chocolate this weekend…not my norm. Made me nauseous. :-( Then seeing all of that chocolate on MC, made it worse.

39 daisy { 06.09.14 at 1:55 pm }

Oh no, Smythe, you just gave me the thought that I deserve a fererro roche or lindt binge.
I haven’t had one for about 3 months. I think I’m due.

My view with chocolate is if you are going to binge, choose quality.

40 Adrianna { 06.09.14 at 2:23 pm }

Daisy @89, 100% agree with you! Definitely gotta choose quality.
I’m a chocoholic and consider myself an “amata-choc dessert connoisseur”, but that choc fondant from Amy’s team was not gooey at all, despite the judges’ praises. And I would not eat choc pasta as well.

My faves were actually Laura’s white choc noodley dessert and Emilia’s dessert. Both looked yummy and totally what I’d pay $ for.

41 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 2:32 pm }

Daisy, chocolate I had was quality, just way too much of it.
When it comes to desserts I don’t usually choose chocolate…prefer strawberry cheesecake, strawberry whipped cream cake, shortbread biscuit, or lemony tart.
Laura’s dessert looked interesting. As for Emelia’s dessert…blah…IMO, but then I am not a chocolate connoisseur. However, I am picky when it comes to desserts, actually when it comes to food in general.

42 daisy { 06.09.14 at 2:33 pm }

Adriana, Imlike my chocolate gooey :)
Your mouth has to go nnmmmm, nnnnnmmm, nnnnnmmm.

Smythe, same. I don’t like chocolate brownies. But I love chocolate. One of my fav cheapies is probably snickers, or kitkat, or twirl, no wait, bounty….

43 Littlepetal { 06.09.14 at 2:34 pm }

My view for all binge. When you have to eat some unhealthy food or food high in calories then have the best! You will be satisfied for months before another binge!

I agree with you, Adrianna that the judges want us to believe that Gergia is good at desserts. That chocolate fondant was not gooey.

I am not a fan of white chocolate but Laura’ s dish looks yummy. Not sure about paying for Emelia dessert.

44 Littlepetal { 06.09.14 at 2:37 pm }

Chocolates have to melt in your mouth! Cant stand chocolates that are hard

45 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 2:42 pm }

Daisy, the only time I would eat brownies was when my mom would bake them. She made the BEST brownies. She also made the BEST chocolate chip cookies, at least IMHO. If I were to eat cheap candy I would also choose kit kat or M & Ms with peanuts. I think I like the crunch.

46 daisy { 06.09.14 at 2:59 pm }

Yep on peanut MnMs.
Littlepetal, there is a place here called Taffy’s where the guy makes what is called salt water taffy on the premises. It looks like chocolate but fails the nmmm test. No sticking of the tongue to the roof of your mouth. It doesn’t claim to be chocolate but it looks like it.

47 step89 { 06.21.14 at 1:02 pm }

สวัสดี ดวงแก้ว เพื่อน ของฉัน ฉัน ต้องการที่จะ ต้องการ ที่จะ บอกว่านี้ บทความ , ดี
เป็นลายลักษณ์อักษรและ มาพร้อมกับ ทั้งหมด ประมาณ ที่สำคัญ ข่าวสาร .

ฉัน ต้องการ เช่น เห็น
มาก โพสต์ เช่นนี้ .

48 http://hackerfbhack.com { 06.21.14 at 3:43 pm }

It’s in fact very difficult in this active life to listen news on TV, so I simply use
world wide web for that reason, and get the hottest information.

49 www.Progressive.com { 06.26.14 at 2:48 am }

Quality posts is the crucial to interest the visitors to visit thee web page, that’s what
this web site is providing.