Guest Post: House Rules – The Day Before The Reveal

Annajjj is back after being cut off from cyberland for 48 hours. Yes this does happen in modern Australia in 2014 AND  she managed to stay sane.

Here is her recap the day before the reveal:

Two days to go and the Snow Whites seem to be coping ok with the tent. The other teams arrive and Lloyd tells us that at the end of this renovation anyone could be going home but, as most of us have worked out, that’s actually not the case. There is only one team facing elimination and tonight’s efforts must surely seal their fate.

We cross to Team Bomb who are busy trying to convince everyone that this junky chic thing is actually a well thought out concept which everyone should grasp straight away. We don’t want the house to just look junky, worries Mel. Bomber chimes in by saying all their rubbish and crap should be just chucked in a blender and voila! Junky chic.

Our new drinking game for tonight is Drink! for ‘Upcycle’. I looked it up and sadly it is a real word. No matter, it sounds like an idiot made up word so we’re drinking for it. We get two drinks in a row as Voice Over and Grant describe a strange iron table then Grant delivers the line of the night: It’s all about Research, Recycle and Regurgitate. Or perhaps that should be Upset, Upcycle and Upchuck.

Lisa is busy painting an old hat stand and Adam seems a bit fed up with his (Drink!) bench. Chester makes a brief appearance to admire Lisa. Or possibly Lisa’s wood. Mads is getting mad with Gapper for leaving rubbish in her room so she steals some nasty old batts from the shed to dump in his room. Upcycle that Gapper.

But Gapper isn’t even at the house. He and Carole are busy wasting precious time setting up a prank for Ryan. The only thing I’m going to say on this is that Candy seems genuinely upset and surely producers can’t think these ridiculous pranks are a worthwhile addition to this program.

OMG they were not joking. Snow White are installing actual brick wallpaper. I’m as gobsmacked as the tradies, who are all frozen in shock with their mouths hanging open. There are no words.

Meanwhile Mads and Lloyd are making a horrible coffee table from car-parts and their glazier decides to play a prank on them by telling them their glass has to be ‘toughened” and it’s going to be very expensive. Perspex anyone?

In fact there are horrible mistakes everywhere, including Ryan’s hot pink paint on the metal walls in the lounge room, the render effects with fakey brick wallpaper in the family room and a salad bowl being upcycled (Drink!) for the bathroom sink. Gapper is pretty chuffed with the salad-bowl-sink and suggests maybe this could be the start of a whole new concept in bathroom design. The bathroom guy shakes his head so hard it is in actual danger of flying off.

Mads goes off to ‘buy’ Subway for everyone since we’re a bit low on product placement tonight. Everyone sits around, filthy and paint spattered, apart from Brooke who looks immaculate. It’s a massive job this painting, she tells us and we get shots of everyone painting, except of course Brooke. She does do her part though, scribbling on the wall and Australia holds it’s breath hoping she doesn’t discover her spelling mistake. Damn. But the good news is that it still looks terrible.

Carole is doing 7 year old Abby’s room and wants it to be special because, according to her, the mother daughter thing is special and you can’t possibly know this unless you’re a mother with a daughter. She has found a chair she wants but can only afford it if Gapper does the pressed tin installation himself. Echoing everyone else I’m really wishing they’d tell us what the budgets for the rooms are.

The Capper’s pressed metal sheets arrive and the supplier tells Gapper it is terribly hard to install, even for an expert like himself and this ‘plants a seed’ in Gapper’s mind that ‘it could be difficult’. There’s a bit of boring ‘will he? won’t he?’ then Gapper (apparently) installs the tin himself, perfectly, and Carole gets her little girl’s chair. Reveal tomorrow.

1 Brady { 06.09.14 at 9:29 am }

Great Recap. What happened to the good ol’ days of a fake possum? Recaps of Pranks? for shame.

2 Veronicali { 06.09.14 at 9:39 am }

Pranks are not so funny now, are they Ryan? Bomber will be annoyed, could’ve gone the full bogan and upcycled that couch for the front verandah.

Add red paint to white and what do you get … pink. duh.

It would be funny if Mel’s daughter turned out to be a tomboy and hated Carole’s much cried-over chair. Also, she looks too big now to sit in Mel’s lap and be read to sleep like Carole fantasizes.

Is that quote on the dunny wall? Also, apparently it was left there by meth-heads/or the previous owner.

Bomber’s son looks like he wants to tell melt-down Mel to get a grip, woman.

3 Andrea { 06.09.14 at 10:03 am }

I’m over the pranks too, don’t know why this show tries to be like The Block, it was fine the way it was.
This carry on over the chair was ridiculous, Mel’s daughter would probably appreciate a nice little girl’s desk and chair instead, and mothers do read to little boys too Carole, at least while they are young.
Are Mel and Bomber really into Alice in Wonderland, because as Veronicali has said, the previous owners left the quote on the wall.
Agree that the car parts coffee table is awful, and the pink walls too. Not too sure about the salad bowl sink, will have to see it finished.
And as if the contestants would have paid for the subway, how come we have never seen them eat lunch or dinner before?

4 Twinkle { 06.09.14 at 10:06 am }

Another thumbs-down with regard to the pranks – just get on and do the work; if I wanted to see humour I’d tune into the comedy channel.

Some tittle-tattlers are making shite up about Grant and Brooke, trying to spread rumours that they’ve put their house on the market. It’s not true though.

5 all happening { 06.09.14 at 11:10 am }

WTF is that wallpaper doing apart from looking tacky. The black walls are very ‘black’. Just like Bomber and Mel don’t want even though one of the kids favorite colours is black.
What is with the splash back with black splashes, yuk. When I saw Maddie doing it the other night I thought other colours as well splashed but…. Carol’s salad bowl doesn’t strike me as an easy bowl to clean and will easily mark.
There is not much I am liking so far. Great recap annajjj.
Saw the rumours on fb, twinkle.

6 Myra { 06.09.14 at 11:34 am }

Is it just me but I found Sunday night’s show rather boring. The gag Carole and Russell pulled on Ryan was classic. The whole show was about that “chair”! OMG! that must be the only chair in town (and for $400). My thoughts were I could have found another chair and done my own touches to it for a lot less. I think the chair bit was a little overdone!!!! I love the tradies looking over at Grant while he was doing the wallpaper. The look on their faces were priceless. I also think it’s funny how the producers try to show Brooke and Grant a little nicer in that show and not their rather nasty and bitchy selves. Can’t wait to see the reveal. Okay we all know who we want to go house but who do you think will go home?

7 Gabby { 06.09.14 at 11:39 am }

Once someone gets an idea they all jump on the bandwagon. I think they have well over done it with the pressed tin, it’s everywhere! And as for the pink lot in the family room, what a mess.
That salad bowl sink, no, as you say, imagine cleaning, and rings and things would scratch on it.
Their house is going to look just full of junk. Why would you want that when you could have nice, new old looking furniture.
I am thinking maybe the little girl’s room might end up be the nicest.
Haven’t seen anything I like so far. Will be interested to see how it all comes together tonight.

8 Gabby { 06.09.14 at 11:41 am }

Myra @ 6 I think it will be the ones we want to go home, the Tassie Devils.

9 Myra { 06.09.14 at 11:58 am }

Yes Gabby #8 I think you are right. Something tells me we all going to be sitting at home watching with our mouths dropped to the floor on this reveal! Can’t wait to see the “trashy chic”.

10 jec { 06.09.14 at 11:59 am }

Gabby, you said exactly what I was thinking: “Why would you want that (a house full of junk) when you could have nice, new old looking furniture”.
It’s sneaked past, but did anyone else catch a glimpse of a two-door cabinet that Brooke hastily painted black paint over a few episodes ago – to give it an “upcycled” look but instead it just looks revolting.
I don’t know what was worse … the GREEN splashback with black paint on it (giving the real definition of “splash-back” I guess) or that it’s in a kitchen with BLUE walls.
Just because a 16 year old says they like black & white doesn’t mean the bedroom should be painted black! One black feature wall, or even a nice black & white check wallpaper, would have given it a nice look and helped carry it into the future.
If they’ve renovated five other houses, it doesn’t seem like they’ve learnt much, does it?

11 Myra { 06.09.14 at 12:12 pm }

Jec #10 I was thinking the same thing regarding Brooke’s cabinet. It was horrid. I thought it was unfinished but when they were carrying it in. . . .okay so that’s the way they wanted it. I think Mel and Bomber are going to be surprised (not in a very good way) but they asked for upcycled and since no one really got the idea, that’s what they are going to get. You are also right about the 16 year old’s bedroom. Teenagers are always miserable anyway why put a depressing color in their room to add to their mood!

12 all happening { 06.09.14 at 12:30 pm }

I saw Brooke proudly showing off her ‘beautiful’ cabinet she had painted in an ep last week and it hasn’t improved. Tacky!

13 Twinkle { 06.09.14 at 12:34 pm }

Q: Who will go home tonight?
A: Probably nobody … Joh will announce that they’ve decided to give everyone a final chance to fight for their spot in the competition by way of the next do-up – that apartment block.

14 cuisinaire { 06.09.14 at 12:38 pm }

I’ve missed some airtime but don’t know what Carole is getting excited over…some old, weatherbeaten (oops, distressed) doors. What are they and where are they in the house? The salad bowl…not at all practical for a bathroom sink today. The chair…it looked more like a “dressing table chair” not something that you could flop into or curl up with a good book. And the fabric ??? There must have been something better for sale in all of Adelaide. After all, Carole knows a bargain on Gumtree! There’s nothing that stands out as WOW in a good sense in the whole house.

15 Twinkle { 06.09.14 at 1:17 pm }

I’m quite surprised at the difference in the mortgages … sort of expected them all to owe roughly the same amount. I know of several people in Sydney who have $m+ mortgages – I wonder if they’d ever accept candidates in that boat if they were certain of bringing the drama.

16 Peter { 06.09.14 at 1:24 pm }

Great Recap Annajjj.
Last week the glass for the kitchen was not going to be ready BUT its was. This week its the glass table top. BUT it will be. Talk about trying to add drama.

17 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 1:35 pm }

Why did Candy & Ryan even paint the pressed metal? It looks much better unpainted and would be even better if it wasn’t on every wall. That splash back w/ the thrown black paint is horrible. The brick wallpaper is horrible. The salad bowl sink is horrible. There is so much here that is horrible. BUT then maybe these horrible things will be liked by Mel and Bomber.
What’s the big deal with that chair? It’s horrible, too. The kid does not need that ugly designer chair.
I think they should upcycle the subway sandwich wrappers and incorporate them into the kitchen or the dining room. Maybe they could use them to create a wall hanging or mural.

18 all happening { 06.09.14 at 1:40 pm }

ROFL Smythe, you are right it is all pretty horrible. Those old sandstone cottages can be absolutely beautiful if done with taste and continuity. I saw one on Location Location Aust and the furniture was not really high end but tasteful. Most tasteful thing in this house is the subway sandwich.

19 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 1:44 pm }

They could upcycle the Subway wrappers into something fashionable and put it in the closet for Mel or the teenage girl:

20 cuisinaire { 06.09.14 at 1:45 pm }

@17 YES Subway sandwich wrappers framed and mounted on a wall/splashback of Subway tiles in kitchen. Sheer genius Smythe.

21 Smythe { 06.09.14 at 1:51 pm }

AND here’s a matching clutch bag:

#20 Subway wrapper splashback w/ subway tiles: at least that would be an example of some continuity in the house

22 Anonymous { 06.09.14 at 1:58 pm }

I disliked the splashback for the kitchen too, but my daughter and I decided it looks green, because they haven’t peeled the protective coating off it yet maybe??? anyway, I didn’t like it- looked like cow pats or accidental paint blotches, not designer chic- maybe it will look better in situ…. 😉

23 Magoo { 06.09.14 at 2:22 pm }

Adam has hit the nail on the head stating that they have spent most of their time with trying to make things suitable for re-use. I think it’s rather cheeky that not only does Bomber expect perfect paintwork on a house that is bigger and in worse condition than the rest, BUT he also expects his shed cleared out as well

24 Dawni { 06.09.14 at 2:36 pm }

I was so annoyed when “Poo face” discovered her spelling mistake. It looks like crap – correct spelling or not !!! This house is going to be a disaster. Hate Carol’s over priced, piece of crap chair too. It is downright ugly.

25 Shellbot { 06.09.14 at 2:45 pm }

Going to get ready to barf tonight when Mel starts blubbering to the ‘step-kids’ about how ‘we did this for you’… awkward!! Especially if the kids hate it…

I did think Madi’s splashback was a bit grease monkey looking and was hoping she would add more colours and her ‘swooshes’ just made it look worse tbh. Glass has a natural green tinge so I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the colour it stays…
It’s like all the contestants take all the ideas and run a mile with them and often in the wrong direction lol

26 Andrea { 06.09.14 at 3:15 pm }

I like it Smythe, good one!

27 annajjj { 06.09.14 at 4:11 pm }

Oh I LOVE that. Upcycled Subway wrappers – genius!

28 Gabby { 06.09.14 at 4:40 pm }

I also forgot about the writing that Brooke did, how tacky was that? Made even worse by the fact it was left by the drug dealers that lived there before, having no meaning for Bom and Mel’s family.
A ten year old could have been a better Scribe than Brooke.

What was with that brick fireplace covered half in black paint, is that staying like that?

29 Dawni { 06.09.14 at 4:44 pm }

Gabby, I have no idea what is going on with that brick fireplace. I know that if we hate the fireplace the judges are probably going to love it !! I thought I read the writing on the wall was done by Bomber.

30 Gabby { 06.09.14 at 9:23 pm }

Dawni, you were right, everyone else loved it, except us :(

31 LW { 06.09.14 at 9:30 pm }

Yay, see ya later Tubs and Chuckles!

32 Myra { 06.09.14 at 9:33 pm }

Good Bye! Okay so I guess everyone was doing the moonwalk, running man, jig and every other dance they could think of in their lounge room watching this!

33 LW { 06.09.14 at 9:35 pm }

Hmmm, just saw on the promo that a red headed chick called Alice, who I worked with at Channel Seven, is one of the people who gets a house reno…

34 Techhater { 06.09.14 at 9:39 pm }

No surprise who went.

Is this twist Ch7’s version of Domestic Blitz?

35 Andrea { 06.09.14 at 9:59 pm }

At last, the right decision was made, no keeping in the villains for ratings!
Nice to see that they are paying it forward by renovating some deserving peoples’ homes.

36 Smythe { 06.10.14 at 5:14 am }

The reno didn’t look as bad as I thought it would but I would have redone must of it if it were my house. Then again my house rules would not have been junkyard chic. Just looked like a mish mash of “upcycled” junk for the most part but that’s what Bomber and Mel wanted. Definitely a vast improvement over what they started with but with all the space that house had to offer it could have been beautiful.

Did anyone else notice when Mel and Bomber revealed the scores that the 7 revealed for Carole & Russel and Adam & Lisa both said Zone 1 on them?

No surprise w/ who was eliminated. They did better with this reno but they weren’t nice through most of the program and they deserved to go. Bye..bye…don’t let the door hit you on the way out. 😉

37 Myra { 06.10.14 at 6:03 am }

Although Bomber and Mel said they really appreciated the reno to their home, they didn’t seem like it. Each room Mel was “I don’t like this. I don’t like that”. “This is my least favorite room” Considering the state of that house beforehand which was not really livable, they didn’t seem to appreciate the work that was done to that mess of a house. They asked for upcycle and she was complaining about a pieces that were upcycled from the shed. Bomber seemed a little kinder with his remarks.

38 Lily { 06.10.14 at 8:12 am }

Did anyone else feel that the pieces to camera of B & G signalled that they had been eliminated? Brooke’s eyes were definitely red from crying (which, of course, could have been either from joy or disappointment but in the light of the outcome was definitely disappointment) and Grant was quite despondent.