Masterchef Australia – Jock Zonfrillo Sets Renae’s Pulse Racing

Jock Zonfrillo a chef from South Australia gave Renae a hot flush when he walked into cook for an immunity pin. She even admitted to fan girling and for a person who was almost 30 it was almost embarrassing. But you could not blame her.

If you missed the episode here he is:

jock zonfrillo

But who was going to get to cook against him. Colin, Georgia and Amy would have to duke it out in a food challenge that was all about the wanky cooking equipment. Georgia took the blow torch, Amy took the smoker as she thought Colin would want it, and he was left with the foam gun. He was not happy as he had not used one in thirty years. He said he made whipped cream but more likely he was using it like we all were and sucking on nitrous oxide.

Amy was not happy that there was no quail but then decided to cook with the scallops. The kicker for this challenge was you could only go to the pantry once. Hence Georgia came out with a huge basket filled with ingredients.

Colin overcooked his chips, in fact they were just on the non-burnt side as was Georgia’s first attempt at meringue. Even on the second go of blowtorching the meringues they turned brown.

Colin’s chip was overcooked and George said that it was all he could taste and then he told him “good job”. Georgia made Candied Carrot with Carrot Puree. Gary said it was a pretty dish but you have not really shown them much skill with the blow torch. Kylie said all she could taste was the roasted carrot.

Amy presented another smear on the plate with her Scallops with Smoked White bean Puree. Gary said scallops were cooked perfectly. Matt thought it was a classic flavour match and that it was the best dish she had cooked in the competition. It was no surprise she won and got the opportunity to cook for an immunity pin.

And then the hottie walked in. Jock is from Scotland and owns restaurants in Adelaide. Good thing he was good looking as I could not understand a frigging thing he said.

The theme was Prince and Pauper and Amy let Jock pick so she could get the extra 15 minutes cooking time.

Jock chose pauper particularly as it had some indigenous ingredients which he likes to cook with. Though not sure why these ingredients are considered pauper.  Amy decided to make Leather Jacket with Riberry and Apple Sauce, and Jock was making Chuck Steak Salad and was going to serve up the steak raw.

Amy plated up her signature smear with her fish on top of a puree. Gary said the fish was perfectly cooked.

Gary thought Jock’s Beef and Pumpkin Salad was the prettiest dish he had seen in awhile. They also liked the flavours.

Of couse there was the farce of the judges pretending they did not know who had cooked which dish.

Amy was scored eight from all three judges which gave her a 24 out of 30.

Jock won as Matt gave him a nine whilst Gary gave him an eight and George gave him a ten. Just because there was no carbs on it.

1 Littlepetal { 06.11.14 at 6:41 pm }

Look like Tracy is not n the Blue team which means Georgia in the Red Team.

Look like Byron is the captain for the blue team

2 Ali { 06.11.14 at 7:46 pm }

Culinary Boner @ 45

“Mine hasn’t been renegotiated for some time now, which means that Ajay Rochester is my only allowable alternative to unrelenting monogamy.”

I suspect your link @33 is what Ajay might look like when she goes through menopause. That’s something to look forward to.

3 Littlepetal { 06.11.14 at 8:36 pm }

Is Amelia going to blame Colin for not making a good sponge cake. Is her recipe but make by Colin.

4 emp { 06.11.14 at 8:55 pm }

Shock alimination tomorrow. That means Byron is safe.

5 Littlepetal { 06.11.14 at 8:57 pm }

Yes. It say a strong contender. May be Sarah.

6 Simon { 06.11.14 at 9:00 pm }

Emilia should no longer be referred to as the Dessert Queen or Panna Cotta cream. However, she is the scapegoat queen. That she does better than anyone else in the comp. Feel bad for Colin.

I’m liking Byron more and more. He’s not the sharpest knife in the block but there’s a quality of genuineness or integrity I like about him.

7 Simon { 06.11.14 at 9:02 pm }

emp, it could be another unshocking shock elimination again. Though Kira looked upset so I’m with Littlepetal, it might be Sarah.

8 Littlepetal { 06.11.14 at 9:03 pm }

Byron is genuine but not the best cook.

Ben is a poor leader. Cant control the princesses.

9 emp { 06.11.14 at 9:10 pm }

Ben didn’t even want to be on the Red team because all the ‘best cooks’ were on the Blue team. What a dick.

10 Reality Raver { 06.11.14 at 9:39 pm }

Little Petal – when I first read your commen #58 I thought you had written Byron is genius. I was thinking whaaaaat?? Then I re-read it.

Emp – not sure why he thinks Jamie is so fabulous.

11 Reality Raver { 06.11.14 at 9:40 pm }

Simon – Byron should have gone on Big Brother he is looking out of his depth now.

12 Littlepetal { 06.11.14 at 9:46 pm }

RR- I think Byron is a nice guy.

Anyone who run for charity is in my good book.

Byron did just that!

13 Evan { 06.11.14 at 9:48 pm }

Was it just me who thought Matt Preston was a tad bitchy and nasty tonight?
Anyway, putting that aside…………..the blues were behind the eight ball the minute Brent pulled out due to sickness. Yes, Byron is not the greatest leader in the world, and nor the greatest cook either, but there is a genuineness about him that I like! Putting himself out there at the end of the episode to take responsibility for the blue team losing was pretty brave.
Assuming that one of the following goes home tomorrow – Sarah, Brent, Tracy – on current form, they would seem to be the 3 strongest cooks out of that group.

14 Simon { 06.11.14 at 9:53 pm }

RR, unfortunately it does look a little that way. Though, Sarah almost didn’t make it into the top 24 and look at her now. It’s probably too late for that for Byron but he might pull a Steven and hang in for a while longer. Who knows.

15 Littlepetal { 06.11.14 at 9:55 pm }

Well, if Andy can win or Lynton in the final so can Byron. But that will be shocking!!

16 ohdear { 06.11.14 at 10:06 pm }

What is in George’s left ear. Does he have a grommit?

17 Evan { 06.11.14 at 10:08 pm }

The promo suggests tomorrow’s elimination is as much of a shocker as Jai getting eliminated early in the 2011 series, or Marion getting eliminated in 2010.
It then won’t be Byron, nor Jamie, in my opinion.
So out of………Sarah, Tracy, Brent, Colin, Emelia

Of course Byron won’t win Masterchef 2014 – nice guy, but not enough self-confidence and panics far too easily in pressure situations, as we saw tonight. However, it would be nice to see him bring out one dish or two before he goes home that the judges like.

18 Simon { 06.11.14 at 10:10 pm }

Oh. One thing I just realised. Brent still hasn’t broken his team challenge elimination streak. That’s some curse. Well, not unless you count the team invention test, that is.

19 Littlepetal { 06.11.14 at 10:12 pm }

Funny that Gary at the table said the sponge cake was nice and soft. Then when he was announcing which team is going into elimination he said the sponge cake was tough.

20 Evan { 06.11.14 at 10:19 pm }

Both Gary and Matt seemed very grumpy on the episode tonight, and they took it out on the blue team.
It was as if it was the fault of Byron and the other 5 that Brent was sick LOL

21 TwoLittleLemons { 06.11.14 at 10:20 pm }

Some of you have such amazing insight on the show. Especially you, Simon. But I agree. I think Sarah is going home.

22 daisy { 06.11.14 at 11:31 pm }

I half watched. Did the judges decide the winners? I think the lld couple should have chosen as it was THEIR special dinner.
I think some of the food was cooked with the judges in mind rather than what the oldies might have enjoyed. I don’t mean to be ageist but in my experience the very old really enjoy the classics.

23 Wildrice { 06.12.14 at 1:51 am }

Jamie took over leadership from Byron, but at end of the day Byron stood up and took responsibility, he did good

I think shock alimination is Emilia ; they will not set her up to win as no one will want the ‘villian’ to win; Emilia is not the villian, just the person with the ‘villian’ edit, so okay to eliminate her

I like Emilia, I never trust the editing

24 Benji { 06.12.14 at 2:36 am }

@daisy
Yes, the judges made the final decision. Matt consulted with Margaret and Eddie on all the dishes except for Blue team’s main (or perhaps they just didn’t show it). That was probably to save her from saying the dish was bad. I do think Margaret’s politeness would have prevented her from criticising any dish outright, though. She and her husband both seemed lovely.

Byron, as captain, said he was afraid of some “big personalities” on his team. I wonder who he was referring to… Probably not Jamie, since he was the one who persuaded him to captain the team. Certainly not Colin. So between Brent, Emelia, Tracy and Sarah? But I’d question mark Brent since they record these interviews segues after the challenges, and that probably would have been on his mind at the time. Byron did say personalities, plural, so it has to be at least two…

I think we saw glimpses of Tash’s unliked-in-the-house personality in this episode. Once, when volunteering to be on the cake squad. She raised her hand, saying she has experience with tiered cakes and does wedding cakes. Did she come across as being pushy? She interrupted Kira to nominate herself, who kept on talking anyway, but everyone ignored her as she said it. Nobody even looked in Tash’s direction.
And a second time with Laura over the final decorations on the cake, when she continued to make adjustments over Laura’s protests. This seems to happen to Laura a lot, unfortunately. She is the youngest, and I think she has trouble being heard because of that.

I wonder why Colin was chosen to do Blue team’s cake. Are we running short of dessert specialists already?

Ben showed a few weaknesses in his captaining. He’s very much playing the game to win (someone mentioned earlier that Survivor would be a good show for him), but that might be preventing him from seeing the other cooks as anything more than competitors. Saying that he didn’t want any of the people on his team was kind of sucky.

25 Zhee { 06.12.14 at 4:35 am }

George really has non-existent table manners.. Chewing with the mouth open, he cannot even hold the cutlery properly. And then there is Matt Preston whose hands are too big for the cutlery…

Elimination: Maybe Tracy? She was already up for an immunity pin, which would imply she’s one of the stronger cooks. I would love to see Jamie go, I can’t help myself but I dislike him (unlike Byron who is growing on me). On the other hand, the producers might have an eye on Jamie to win the competition.

That chef from Scotland really looked yummy and thankfully I could still concentrate on what he was saying. 😉 But maybe that’s some training thanks to colleagues at work with weird accents etc.

PS: Every time Tash is smiling she looks totally like my former team manager (who is the younger brother of the lovely British chef Rachel Khoo).

26 Sandii { 06.12.14 at 6:57 am }

Yes Byron, is proving to be a very likable, nice young man. I thought he was a bit of a show pony to start with, but I think that was he early edit. Hope he does well. I am on the minority but I like Emelia and think she might be the one going. I don’t like Sarah and Kira much. Snakes in the grass comes to mind when I think of them.

27 anonymouse { 06.12.14 at 7:27 am }

I think it might be Sarah but I would be very happy with Emelia going, she just annoys me. Not keen on Kira either. I continue to be impressed by the two little girls- Georgia and Laura- they are so sweet and humble but also really know their stuff. Glad they were both safe.

I like Byron, Colin and Tracy too so I’d be happy to get rid of Sarah or Emelia tonight.

28 Evan { 06.12.14 at 8:52 am }

Perhaps Jamie goes home, at least he reckons he is a certainty to win Masterchef HA HA
All jokes aside, yes, I agree too that it is probably Sarah who gets the flick, or the supposed Dessert Queen Emelia

29 Simon { 06.12.14 at 10:02 am }

TwoLittleLemons, Thanks though a lot of others here do too. I hope I’m wrong about Sarah because I’d much rather see her at least make the top 10 than some of the other people in her team.

Benji, as for Byron’s “big personalities” I got the feeling that he was referring to Emilia definitely, probably Sarah and maybe Brent too. Jamie seems too easy going to be a problem (though he did take-over part way), Colin seems real easy going and unless Tracey goes into fluster meltdown, she seems mostly harmless.

As for Tash, I didn’t pick that up at the beginning. That just looked more like eagerness like she didn’t want to be overlooked because Kira was asking at the time who had any experience with tiered cakes. There’s no question that she frustrated the hell out of Georgia towards the end but if the edits are anything to go by, Georgia hasn’t liked Tash since at least her immunity challenge way back. Props to Georgia for not going all Rachael on Tash.

Admittedly, Tash could have been less of a lonewolf. Georgia on the other hand could have had a little more faith in Tash and be less critical given that Tash has pulled through for her team every time and when she’s been on the losing side, it was never her doing. She held her own against the “dessert queen” and her two minions during upstairs/downstairs, made the best dish of the night during the dessert degustation with Sam, and had team Brent and friends actually listened to her, it would have been very unlikely that they would have been up for elimination.

Sugarcube, still not Tash 😛

Sandii, why snake in the grass for Sarah and Kira? The first person that comes to mind as snake in the grass to me is Ben.

30 Smythe { 06.12.14 at 10:11 am }

I wouldn’t mind if Emelia, the dethroned dessert queen, goes home. It was her recipe for the sponge cake and her mistake with the frosting. Her flowers looked pretty but too many of them over 2 cakes. I think she spent too much time doing those rather than being concerned about the cake baking and the look of the frosting.
I didn’t think that Tash was being rude to Georgia. Georgia was making suggestions but it seemed as if Tash felt as if she knew what she was doing so she wanted to continue on and she also felt as if she didn’t have enough time to do the things that Georgia was recommending.
Byron was very humble to apologize and I commend him for that. My opinion of him has changed and I see him as more of a genuine person. I could see how it was difficult for the blue team being one man down.
It was funny that Ben would not listen to Amy regarding the potatoes but then George comes in and makes that same suggestions and, of course, the potatoes are added. Didn’t matter anyway since the blue team’s entree was much better. If the blue hadn’t been one man down I think their main might have been better, too. However, I don’t mind that they lost if Emelia is the one to be eliminated or even Jamie.
Laura’s hair was swinging back and forth throughout the cooking as well as hanging over the food. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of that hair wound up in the food but none of that wound up on camera.

31 Jane { 06.12.14 at 10:56 am }

That was rude of Tash imo. If I was in Georgia’s position I would’ve rightfully been annoyed- Tash was basically ignoring her and just doing whatever she wanted. I also thought their cake looked badly decorated with the cracks in the fondant and uneven piping. The ribbon was also tacky. Emilia and Collin’s cake looked much better and would’ve been beautiful if the’d iced it properly with the cream.

32 Bianca { 06.12.14 at 11:18 am }

It was no ruder than anyone taking charge of a situation in that setting. There were minutes to go and Tash assumed seniority, and didn’t pause to have a chat about it; and given her speciality is presentation and she has more experience than Georgia (who okayed that god-awful children’s party look with for a previous dessert challenge), it was a good call.

33 Culinary Boner { 06.12.14 at 11:44 am }

Last night was the concluding round of the very one-sided battle between ByronChef vs Byron – the Perpetual Deckhand. His team, can be thankful that Jamie Smarm-meister Esq took control and left Byron doing a stirling impersonation of Frank Spencer while dropping the crockery. However, the pig-tailed, top-knot dude who retired due to Bubonic plague should be the one to go tonight.

34 brain dead dave { 06.12.14 at 11:46 am }

I’ve noted that Byron, Brent and Emelia are left handed.(there could be more) Out of fifteen that’s quite a high representation in a right handed world.

Jamie or Brent tonight. I won’t be fussed.

35 Simon { 06.12.14 at 12:13 pm }

brain dead dave, nice pickup. Someone mentioned in a previous comment that Masterchef draws in the outliers. They’ve had a statistically high number of gay Malaysians on the show, let alone Malaysians in general. Just this season, all the Asians on the show were Malaysians with Deepali as the odd one out if you count Indians in the Asian group.

36 Adrianna { 06.12.14 at 12:33 pm }

Why does Ben not like the girls in his team?
I find they’re all much better cooks than his supposed A-team.
And as much as Tash’s and Georgia’s cake look tacky and old-fashioned, Emilia’s and Colin’s looked v messy and unprofessional. Did they run out of cream to ice, cos it sure needed another layer.
It did not look good at all.

37 Carole { 06.12.14 at 12:45 pm }

I was thinking the same thing Daisy, older people seem to like more old fashioned food. My parents are like that. When I went to stay with my mum over Christmas I had to take some seasoning down with me as she has no herbs or spices in her pantry. I hate bland food, but even then she complained it disagreed with her, it wasn’t even spicy just seasoning. I usually use heaps of herbs & spices in my cooking. I have a kitchen window sill covered in them.

38 Robin { 06.12.14 at 1:20 pm }

Well the cake looked terrible and Tash knew that something had to be done and there was no time left so I can understand why she just went ahead and did it herself. But I don’t think anyone can blame Georgia for getting annoyed especially since Tash stopped partway and wanted to erase it.

It’s getting clearer why she doesn’t seem to have friends in the competition. Tash is still one of my favourites but she is probably is irritating to be around.

39 Adrianna { 06.12.14 at 1:46 pm }

Robin @88, I agree re:Tash. I can see why she’s not v we’ll-liked. She seems bossy and always want things done her way. But at the end of the day, she’s almost always right and delivers the results.

40 TwoLittleLemons { 06.12.14 at 5:02 pm }

Tash is rubbing me up the wrong way and I don’t know why. I’ve taken Georgia to be a very sweet and humble contestant, so to see her struggle to keep her cool a little bit with Tash makes it seem that the latter is quite insufferable. Also, Tash did an awful job decorating even though she said that she had done something like that before. I say she should have let Georgia be in control – Georgia so far has proven to be amazing at plating up!!
Don’t think Tash will be there for much longer to be honest. She can keep her 40 more dishes.

41 dreamy { 06.12.14 at 6:22 pm }

Jock is one hell of a jock. That is all *fanning myself