Masterchef Australia – Nobu’s Sees Why Japanese Are Better At Sushi

The pressure test was out of the Masterchef kitchen and in the Nobu kitchen for Byron, Sam and Laura. They had to replicate a plate of sushi nigiri by Nobu himself and make four of them to present to the judges and himself.

It was more a lesson about fish filleting and finesse. Byron missed that memo as he was hacking at his fish and Sam was doing slow and steady but still not making delicate pieces. Laura was the only one that was showing skills and organising herself. She was way ahead of the others. In fact she was so relaxed and comfortable she forgot to put the gurnard on the plate. Cue many tears and thinking this would see her eliminated.

She need not have worried as Byron was burning his prawn heads and Sam was completely freaking out and burnt her rice.

Sam who allegedly had an advantage as she had eaten more Japanese then the others was slathering on the wasabi like it was butter and the judges were getting what is known as a wasabi bomb.

Byron’s sushi plate looked a bit rough and Gary was not happy that his vegetable roll only contained avocado.

George Calombaris turned to ask Nobu “Can you believe it was an amateur cook who did this”. “Yes” responded Nobu before he realised he had to be polite about it.

Nobu main complaint was that sushi should be able to be eaten in one bite. To be fair very few Japanese restaurants serve it that way.  I note Matt Preston had no problems with this. Matt’s criticism about Byron’s was about the amount of the sushi and that he squeezed the rice too much.

However Sam did the greatest sin by leaving a bone in the snapper and Nobu got it. She was eliminated.

Sam wants to open a providore but is operating a pop up catering company.

1 Littlepetal { 06.10.14 at 10:56 am }
2 Joseph Skyrim { 06.10.14 at 11:09 am }

Can’t believe Byron dodged another bullet. Or rather Sam walked into it by accident! At least she has a hot wife to go home to. Was very impressed with Nobu’s demo at the start too.

3 stephen { 06.10.14 at 11:26 am }

I like Byron but have yet to see him cook something that actually turns out as its supposed to. I think Sam deserved to go, apart from the bone her fish was chunky as well. Laura did an amazing job all things considered, think she will easily make top ten, very humble down to earth girl, which I like.

4 Rosie { 06.10.14 at 11:33 am }

From LP’s link (thanks matey!) “Every single one was fine and then on the last plate there was a bone” Uh, no, Sam. The first 6 were nowhere near “fine”. The bone was just the excuse they needed to aliminate you rather than Byron. It was a near thing though, because both of you put up crap dishes compared with Laura’s.

Byron really is living on borrowed time. I still think he’s a sweetie, but I was rather amazed last night to hear him say he could win the competition. No darling, there is no way on this earth you can win the competition.

I’ll give Sam props for the lack of blubbing on her way out though. Makes a nice change.

5 Alec C { 06.10.14 at 11:38 am }

Sam needed to learn how to tie her hair back while cooking. Bryon should be on burrowed time, keeping a constant because there are so few males remaining is pure fluff.

Sob stories should be 1 per constant all year, not every time they make a crappy dish and/or cry. How many times did Lynton selling the farm appear in his season, over 100 times?

No trip this year has this been confirmed?

Also I want one constant to say to Georgie ‘if you can’t handle the heat (chili) get out of the kitchen’

6 Littlepetal { 06.10.14 at 11:46 am }

George hardly eat the nigiri. His plates were always almost untouched. Byron is on borrowed time. I hope he will gain some confidence from this experience. He tries hard. Got on him but no winner quality.

Agrer about Lynton from last sesson. How he got to the final, I have no idea.

7 Evan { 06.10.14 at 11:51 am }

As much as I like Byron, I have to agree that he is nowhere near up to the standard of some of the others, at least based on what they have shown us so far.
Then again, Andy Allen in 2012 and Lynton last year took a while to hit their straps in the kitchen too.
Brent, Ben and Colin would seem to be the best of the remaining boys, with Jamie(who is nowhere near as talented as he thinks he is)and Byron bringing up the rear.
One of the girls I am liking is Tracy

8 Evan { 06.10.14 at 11:53 am }

If he is team captain again on Wednesday, Ben will try and stack his team with Jamie, Emeilia and Georgia LOL

9 daisy { 06.10.14 at 11:57 am }

I was watching to see if George would use wasabi since he won’t eat chilli.
Does anyone know what else George won’t eat?

10 emp { 06.10.14 at 11:58 am }

im going to japan next month and last night’s episode was just cool.

surely byron will leave next.

11 daisy { 06.10.14 at 12:04 pm }

emp have you been to Japan before. You will love it.
Can you speak some Japanese? It will help you navigate the transport systems and menus.

12 Carole { 06.10.14 at 12:33 pm }

Not a fan os suchi, never cooked it & only eaten it a couple of times at a buffet.

I was watching him demonstrating how it was done thinking no way would I ever remember all that.

It was a toss up between Sam & Byron but unfortunately she committed the cardinal sin of MasterChef by leaving a bone in it. Laura’s was so good that leaving off the gurnard didn’t matter. If the other 2 had been of the same standard that would have sent her home, she was very lucky there.

13 Colours { 06.10.14 at 12:48 pm }

Yep, kudos to Sam for not feeding us a sob story. It’s refreshing when a contestant does not harp on about how much they had to sacrifice to pursue their Masterchef dream (Bryon’s ex-girlfriend must be sick of hearing about his sacrifice), or go on about how much they miss their family and friends (because that’s a given – everyone is in the same boat / house). It’s pretty obvious Sam missed her wife, but she didn’t do the whole let’s cry about it on camera. Seemed like she still had a grip on reality outisde of Masterchef. Of past reality TV contestants she seems unlikely to be on ACA or Today Tonight claiming some show drove her nutters, any time soon. Drove her hair into a tizzy, maybe.

Yes, please let Bryon be the next to leave…as much as Rachel was not my favourite, she’s a better cook than Bryon. I struggle to think of more than one dish / challenge that Bryon has done well in so far. Proving you need a fair bit of luck and editing to win Masterchef.

14 emp { 06.10.14 at 12:58 pm }

@daisy nah I’ve never been to Japan before. I can read hiragana and katakana but I’m not confident in the language. I can get by with greetings and pleasantries haha

15 Smythe { 06.10.14 at 1:06 pm }

I was very impressed w/ Nobu. I liked his demonstration and the way he supported Laura, Byron and Sam and did not put them down. For her age Laura presented herself w/ confidence and she really did an excellent job compared to Sam and Byron. Both Byron & Sam should have been eliminated. Neither of their dishes were worthy of keeping them in the competition. This was not an easy challenge but compared to what Laura offered up (even though she left the gurnard off the plate) their dishes should have seen them get their walking papers. Since the judges don’t eat everything on the plate maybe Byron also had a bone in one of his pieces of fish or maybe even Laura so forgetting the bone and looking at the entire dish neither Byron’s nor Sam’s had balance or consistency and the cuts of fish were incorrect as well as other errors. Byron really has been lucky because it is obvious that he is struggling.

So will anyone get the ammunity pin tonight?

16 Littlepetal { 06.10.14 at 1:13 pm }

They already know who is going to be eliminated by watching them cooked.

Laura is street ahead. I am impressed with her ability to take in new info and reproduce the dish.

Also agree with Smythe that by not tasting every piece of nigiri, you can’t judge whether each piece is balance in flavour.

17 daisy { 06.10.14 at 1:19 pm }

Emp, that’s impressive. You will have a great time and even your limited Japanese will be much appreciated by peopleyou meet.
The two things I find most difficult is catching the train because the signs were in Japanese, and menus for the same reason. You will definitely have an advantage having some reading.

Smythe, every Japanese person I have ever met has had lovely gracious politeness and consideration like that.
And has been good at folding. Why are Japanese people so good at making tiny things and folded things? Lotus even origamis her dish cloths.

18 Simon { 06.10.14 at 1:20 pm }

This season’s I ate there “advantage” is nothing if not consistent in undoing contestants. Sam was the right decision to go but it was a close race to the bottom with Byron. Also, if Byron thinks he’s the middle of the pack, who does he think is below him?

Laura has really stood out in recent episodesand it’s great to see that some of her earlier brilliance in the comp wasn’t luck. I’d be very surprised if she doesn’t make it to the Top 10. A great couple of episodes for her. Will be cheering her on in future episodes along with Colin, Sarah & Tash.

Absolutely loved the peanut gallery’s frustration watching the kitchen-cam & not being able to communicate with the contestants. Wish they had this sort of thing for every elimination/immunity challenge.

Smythe, I think Colin will be up for the pin, though I get the feeling he’ll fall short.

19 Adrianna { 06.10.14 at 1:21 pm }

I realised last night watching a pressure test is not much fun when you don’t really care who goes home. At least the challenge was interesting as I love sushi.
Such a waste that George’s nigiri was mostly untouched!
Is tonight a team challenge? I missed the promo.

20 Littlepetal { 06.10.14 at 1:25 pm }

Adrianna, tonight is the ammunity pin challenge. Georgia, Colin and Amy will be in it.

21 brain dead dave { 06.10.14 at 1:28 pm }

Tonight’s an ammunity challenge between Colin, Georgia and Amy.They have to choose the best weapon for the job ~ a smoke gun, a foam gun or a blow torch. The promo is beating up the rivalry between Georgia and Colin, who are both from SA. The winner goes up against some flavour of the week chef I’ve never heard of.

George never misses an opportunity to remind us that this is the best ever class of Ma$terchef. Not while Jamie, Ben and Byron are still there.

You beat me to it, Littlepetal. Georgia looks a dead ringer for Bec Hewitt to me, hopefully she’s smarter than her.

22 Littlepetal { 06.10.14 at 1:35 pm }

By saying that this year contestants are the best is admiting that the last 2 years have been crap.

Also every week the pressure test is the toughest. Thus next week will be the toughest, toughest pressure test? Can’t imagine what the pressure test will be in 4 weeks time? The toughest,toughest,toughest,toughest challenge?

23 Colours { 06.10.14 at 1:36 pm }

Yep not sure how Bryon thinks he’s middling. I’d even put Jamie ahead of Bryon at this stage. But in Masterchef, we’ve seen too often mediocre cooks can somehow keep surviving over better cooks for a myriad of reasons. Laura is looking good, but she never really looked bad, she just had a tough team challenge.

24 Wildrice { 06.10.14 at 1:55 pm }

Simon@ 18, great idea to keep this peanut gallery set up ; we can see reaction but they cannot talk to contestants cooking

I liked they moved the elimination to new setting, stops it being all the same

Sam was so nice to whisper encouragement to Laura and Byron when she was eliminated, and good to see Nobu and judges pointing out all the good things about Sam, keep it nice and positive

I like Amy the more I see her

I also really like Colin

And I don’t dislike Emelia, I have no idea what is real and what is editing but I doubt she will win as she is such a front runner, it won’t be a surprise

25 Lemongrass { 06.10.14 at 2:13 pm }

Been wondering why the Masterchef AU Facebook page has not been updated with challenge posts since last week. We seem to be blocked from receiving posts/updates on challenges. Anyone here have the same problem or does this only affect those outside Australia accessing the FB page ?

26 Ali { 06.10.14 at 2:13 pm }

I think the contestants are trying to tell Gary he needs to lose weight: his vegie sushi from Byron was missing filling and Sam didn’t give him the squid.

Sam’s got hardly any time left to make her vegie roll and George chooses this moment to give her a child birthing lesson:

“You’ve got one minute; push one out”.

Sam sliced her fish so thickly it amounted to double portions per piece which Gary politely said was “value for money” but the three judges who are restauranteurs would be thinking: no way, she’s gone.

If Emelia is this season’s villain and she wins, who’s gonna buy her book?

27 Jay { 06.10.14 at 2:16 pm }

BDD 22 it was interesting to hear that they are advertising the 2 SAussies and pitting them against each other. I’d been wondering about other states because here in Qld any challenge that involves Sarah we get bombarded with “Can this young queenslander spearhead a victory?” type ads.

28 Smythe { 06.10.14 at 2:29 pm }

I also appreciated that the peanut gallery could not be heard by those who were cooking. They are really distracting and irritating and they shouldn’t be shouting out information or helping.

Am hoping that it is Colin up for ammunity and he wins. I like the guy.

29 Simon { 06.10.14 at 2:31 pm }

Lemongrass, have you liked the Masterchef page? I just checked the page while logged out and the last update was Gary’s street food thing from his cookbook.

Ali, unless there’s some redemption arc (beginning with the most recent team challenge) I really doubt she’d make it to the end for the reason you’ve mentioned. It would be an interesting problem for the producers to deal with if it did happen.

Anyhow, my personal biases aside, I don’t think she has what it takes compared to others like Brent, Laura or maybe Ben. I’d say Sarah and Tash too but since they haven’t been shown in the promos for future episodes, I fear that they won’t make it to the top 10.

30 Culinary Boner { 06.10.14 at 2:45 pm }

Littlepetal@6.
George is such a wuss when it comes to Asian food. Though Gary Chip Butty Esq. didn’t really eat much of his sushi either.

Fortunately, I have lucked onto the solution – Sushi especially for the nigiri-phobic MasterChef judges, George and Gary – http://www.brannyboilsover.com/2009/08/08/sushi-for-2/
This’d have ’em licking the plate.

Gary: “Hey George, hear about the new sushi bar that caters only for lawyers.”
George: “Nah. What’s it called?”
Gary: “Sosumi”
George: “Yeah, very funny. Hey. What’s the difference between sushi and oral sex?”
Gary: “The ri… shhh, at attention *winks*. Here comes Sarah.”

31 Culinary Boner { 06.10.14 at 2:49 pm }

May I just say, Vale Rik Mayall.
Loved your work.

32 Benji { 06.10.14 at 2:53 pm }

[testing, testing]

Is there a reason why my comments aren’t showing up? : (

I tried posting this on the other thread, but I don’t think it showed up? So I’ll give it another go here.

Nobu was a pretty good guest chef. “Can you believe this was an amateur cook who’s done this?” asks George.
“Yeah!” Nobu replies enthusiastically.
But his restaurants are infamous for serving endangered animals. MasterChef, for all its talk on sustainability, shouldn’t be featuring and endorsing restaurants that have endangered species on their menus. Mmm, panda pot pie~ Javan rhinoceros steak~
Contributing to the extinction of an animal should really be stigmatised more than this.

33 Littlepetal { 06.10.14 at 3:00 pm }

Benji, sometime RR spam box gets hungry and gobbled up posts. Just send RR an email to fish it out.

34 Reality Raver { 06.10.14 at 3:05 pm }

Benji – It is out.

35 Reality Raver { 06.10.14 at 3:05 pm }

Sorry should say it is out of spam box!

36 Littlepetal { 06.10.14 at 3:18 pm }

Saw the promo for tonight episode. Can see who is cooking against celebrity chef.

37 Jay { 06.10.14 at 3:29 pm }

CB 31 – Thursday night Young Ones -an integral part of my Uni days. Very sad to hear and he was only 56.

38 Culinary Boner { 06.10.14 at 5:08 pm }

Yep, Jay. Similar to you the Young Ones were a welcome laugh-out-loud break from the weekly grind of study or getting pissed that comprised my internment at uni. Alexi Sayle was also good in his absurd cameos. But I have to admit that Neil and Vyvyan’s hamster, Special Patrol Group, were my favourite characters.

However, I’ve always been a big fan of Bottom in which the sadly late great Rik (as Richard Richard) joined with Adrian (playing Edward Elizabeth Hitler) to deliver an inane loser comic version of Waiting for Godot existentialism mixed with Tom & Jerry violence and puerile sex-obsessed Benny Hill double entendres. A masterpiece of British comedy.

RIP Rik,
Thanks for the relationship advice –

39 BloomingPie { 06.10.14 at 5:35 pm }

Just watched the episode where Rachael got eliminated.
I know Rachael was crazy but Tash seemed so detached and cold. Not a fan.

40 lulu { 06.10.14 at 7:15 pm }

Laura is a freak. She carved up that fish like a seasoned samurai.
I’m not sure that she’s the best of this bunch, but if she’s this talented and mature at 19, her prospects look pretty bright.

41 BloomingPie { 06.10.14 at 7:23 pm }

God. Wonder when Brent is going to be done using Emelia and move on to his next target?

42 Sandii { 06.10.14 at 8:41 pm }

Ps. What is “providore”

43 Gidgitvonlarue { 06.10.14 at 11:56 pm }

Just finally watching it now – I felt like crying. Looks like they all need to have watched the doco Jiro Dreams of Sushi – over and over again – before entering this show! I know it’s tough for sure, but practice EVERY type of cooking before even considering going on Masterchef.

44 Lianna { 06.11.14 at 2:34 am }

BloomingPie – I love Tash, and don’t think she’s ‘detached or cold’ by any means. She’s a quieter and more thoughtful person than the other contestants, is very friendly (I love the warmth and humour in her blog) and also has a deeply kind heart (she’s fostered many homeless animals). Just because she’s more calm and introverted doesn’t mean she’s cold by any means. I actually much prefer her demeanour over the hyperactive screaming of some of the other contestants. Usually never post here, but had to say something after reading such an unfair comment.