Guest Post: House Rules – The Flats Are Scored And It Is Onto The Next Challenge

Now the couples houses have finished the producers have had to find challenges for the teams to do to keep the show going. Last night it was scoring time for the Marrickville apartments and and elimination? Well over to Annajjj to find out:

It’s reveal night and this is being dragged out over two whole hours which seems overkill. Apparently teams are on a very tight budget but again we are not given any clues as to what the budget is.

Gapper gets all emotional and profound. It’s a privilege to do this for young Jack and Alice, he tells us, and this opportunity will ‘change their lives’. I don’t think these people are quite the struggle-town battlers you imagine they are, Gapper.

McFashion-Statement rocks up again and either she is really fond of that awful necklace we’ve seen her in before or she’s just escaped a bondage session. She’s focussing all her attention this week on Maddi and Lloyd and again tells them they are missing the homeowner’s brief. She doesn’t give them much to go on though and there certainly aren’t any design-lesson outings on the agenda.

I don’t know how I missed this last night but Team Bomb have purchased a giant wall muriel. It’s not quite as bad as bottle-top wall paper and hanging potato sacks but it’s not far off. In an unbelievable stroke of luck Mel comes across a genuine Nepalese light fitting and thank god she’s on the ball. Most of us would have just thought it was some sparkly blingy thing.

McFlurry can’t even leave Mads and Lloyd alone while they are out shopping. She calls them to hassle them about their window dressings. We’ve got no money left, wails Mads and McScrooge is very disappointed with this response. Perhaps she thinks the teams have made up their own totally unrealistic budgets. Go rob a bank or something, she tells them, but just do it.

Several more hours pass, or maybe time just stops as it seems like we are spending more time on this episode than the teams spent on the entire renovation. There are some scenes of the teams getting stressed and fighting and is it just me or is this episode the most boring one yet? I’m struggling to get into this tonight.

Homeowners return and from a recapping perspective this is the dullest reveal ever. All of them love their makeovers and no one has anything negative to say about their freebies. For this reason we don’t bother asking them to score the teams. Over to the judges:

Candy and Ryan: Completely understood and carried out Monica’s wishes. The unit was edgy, eclectic and colourful. The splash-backs are particularly cool. Joe gives them a 9 and Wendy scores a perfect 10. Ryandy are thrilled.

Mads and Lloyd: Failed to deliver Maria’s modern rustic Italian although they did give her a nice space and delivered Jesus on the Cross which Maria appreciated even if the judges didn’t. There was no bedhead and the finishes in the bathroom were poor. 6 & 6 which Mads thinks is a bit harsh and I think is a bit generous.

Lisadz: A pretty good effort although they didn’t really manage Eleanor’s modern plantation look. The bedroom was great but the shower-bath wasn’t finished properly. 8 & 7

Joh is adding up and keeping score and someone has given her a severe blow dry which makes her look about 20 years older.

The Cappers: Also made some basic mistakes with the brief. They didn’t give Alice and Jack the sofa bed they were hoping for and the industrial shelving was too big, cold and ugly. The kitchen and bathroom were great though. 7 & 7

Finally Team Bomb appear to have bombed out on this reno. The furniture was too dark and too heavy and too Chinese. Judges hated the see-through toilet seat and thought the kitchen was ridiculously small. Bomber snorts and smirks and almost rolls his eyes. He clearly disagrees with the judges. Scores are 4 & 4 and is this the lowest score so far?

We’re stealing concepts from other reality shows and tonight it’s the Amazing Race as we are told this is not an elimination round. Mel and Bomber are safe for now. As winners of this round Candy and Ryan are given an extra $1K to add to their budget of whothefuckknows. The next challenge is for teams to return to their own homes and fix up all the Snow White mistakes.

1 Bijou the cat { 06.12.14 at 9:06 am }

Mel & Bomber’s was more than hideous. The kitchen was probably better before than After. Only thing the homeowners gained (or lost) was a few less cockloaches in this reno. The cupboard was definitely Chinese. Makes me wonder if M&B even know what Nepalese are like…

2 Myra { 06.12.14 at 9:20 am }

Agree Bijou! I’m really just trying to understand the show. It’s my first time ever seeing it! I thought they gutted that kitchen only to almost try to copy what the homeowners had before. Poor Candy seemed like she is cracking under pressure. I wonder if those rumors are true concerning their breakup (hope not). I was shocked that Carole pick those shelves. I thought better of her. Adam and Lisa are just darling!

3 Colleen { 06.12.14 at 9:53 am }

Mel and Bombers was not my taste but it was also not hideous and definitely should score higher, or at least a pass the workmanship was better then some of the others. Obviously the producers have already decided who wins. The teams should use the make -over as a prize and get something that they really really want and not worry about the judging, their fate is already decided.

4 brain dead dave { 06.12.14 at 10:10 am }

I don’t think there was two hours worth of entertainment last night. I kept flicking over to Ma$terchef more than usual.

Hard to feel bad for Bomber and Mel , just karma for the niggardly scores they gave for those who toiled to reno ” their” rat nest last week. Bomber looked set to literally explode and live up to his name with those death glares he was giving after he pair of fours.

What were the “hair rules” given to Joh’s stylist for last night, I wonder? “Make me look like a sulphur crested cockatoo”

5 Veronicali { 06.12.14 at 10:21 am }

Surely there’s no way that de-roached kitchen could’ve been made in 4 days – I reckon it had already been ordered pre the teams getting involved, and Bomber & Mel were stuck with it, hence why Bomber was pissed at the criticism re its size.
I also thought Carole & Russel’s kitchen looked the same size/layout but avoided criticism.

Yes, judges only scoring gives producers the perfect opportunity to manipulate the outcome. Although from their reactions, if the unit owners had scored they’d have been handing out 10s like lollies at a Christmas parade.

Candy really doesn’t like Ryan, does she. Hint to Ryan, women don’t like pranksters.

6 Izobel2 { 06.12.14 at 10:58 am }

I lovveeee your recaps Annajjj!!

Not sure if it’s been said before but the stupid briefs were just stupid.
Modern rustic Italian…. Nepalese something or other… I’m glad it wasn’t me trying to do the design work.
But hey, the most ghastly thing was the shell toilet seat. Shocker. And the bad paint job in the bathroom where the paint was already coming off.

I’d write more but I watched the units reveal ep last night, then went and watched the last 3 house reveals when the judges went through the houses, but looked on here for the scoring.
I was doing House Rules on Speed I think!!
Snow White’s house was sooo much better than before, but I read here they gave crap scores. I didn’t want to watch that bit and I’m glad they’re gone.

I’d love to know the secret budget for each reno too.

7 ziii { 06.12.14 at 11:59 am }

Can’t believe I watched 2 hours of this. I think I would of wanted better kitchens. None of them I really liked and I can’t remesmber who it was but the microwave was in top of the fridge. I hate that as I can never reach it. I prefer it either just on the bench or slightly raised.

8 Shellbot { 06.12.14 at 12:04 pm }

I almost thought Candy and Ryan’s prize for winning was crap but when they revealed they would be renovating their own places then it made more sense, that’s $1000 they can buy something really nice for themselves, get rid of the yellow lockers in the laundry maybe and get some nice benches in?

9 Gabby { 06.12.14 at 12:35 pm }

I don’t think Carole and Russell deserved 7’s, show me where they had any resort style living, I couldn’t see it.
They forgot the main thing the owners asked for, a sofa bed in the lounge room. The industrial shelves were horrid. Don’t ask me what she was doing sitting pretty like Lady Muck at the table with phone in hand.
Bom and Mel once again were sure they nailed the brief and once again they got it oh so wrong. The furnishing in the main room was dark but the the owners got their Nepalese mural, the boys got their racing car and their sofa bed. I would have given them an extra point for bombing the place to try and rid it of the millions of cockies. I don’t think they deserved fours. Possibly fives but not fours.

10 Andrea { 06.12.14 at 12:46 pm }

I thought the judges were a bit harsh and it would be fun to have seen the two of them do up a unit in four days, without all their contacts, and actually get their hands dirty.
The chinese cupboard was critisized as not being Nepalese, fair enough, but where was all the Italian furniture for example?
The judges have to be consistent with their remarks.
Agree the toilet seat was awful, as were the shelves, but maybe thats all they could get at Masters who knows?
Wish we were told what the budget was. Candy and Ryan definitely did the best job this time but for one moment there it seemed Candy really did not want Ryan to touch her.
A sofa bed should have been included in Carole and Russell’s design as its what the owners asked for.

11 Smythe { 06.12.14 at 12:59 pm }

It’s not easy to do a renovation in 4 days and it certainly was not equitable when Ryan and Candy only had to reno a 1 bedroom whereas the others had to do 2 bedrooms.
Bomber really did look like he was about to explode. I think it probably took every bit of his strength not to run up to Joe and Wendy and punch the living daylights out of them. I don’t think that Mel and Bomber did a good job meeting the brief but then neither did Carol & Russell or Maddi & Lloyd.
They probably didn’t have the homeowners score because they would be so grateful for anything that they would have given everyone 9s and 10s but I still think that since these were their homes and that they should have been able to score.
Of all of the renos, I liked Mel and Bomber’s the least. They ruined the kitchen by making it so much smaller. What were they thinking? The place was very dark and heavy looking.
Don’t these people take the time to go online and look up information on the designs that are being requested. Out of curiousity I looked up Nepalese designs and there were many lighter and more modern furnishings and styles than what was presented by M & B. However, I understand the teams were constrained by time and also what would be readily available to them.

12 cuisinaire { 06.12.14 at 1:18 pm }

Is there a “Nepalese ‘R’ Us” in cooee of Marrickville? Scores were a bit harsh. You would think that only M&B had not met the brief. What was with Joe being scathing about the red sofa bed? It gave a place for children’s friends to sleep and a place to read with Mum and Dad. And the open shelving…You would think that Carole of all contestants would know better. The bottom shelf was just waiting to poke out the eye of a toddler. Also the excuse for a work station. If you can buy “village” murals “It took me so long to find”, then it’s a snap to buy a piece of furniture with storage for books, files, pull down writing shelf, all to close up after work is completed. Selective editing but Maria was not shown to say anything about the herb garden. Take that Wendy! If Maria doesn’t like gardening and cooking, then that was a big No!

Can anyone say what the rules are re tradework? Some teams had to do a lot more than others in the time frame.

13 brain dead dave { 06.12.14 at 1:28 pm }

I m not expecting the herb garden to survive or thrive in there. It’ll be about as useful as the microwave way up on top of the fridge, unreachable like Everest.

See-through toilet seats. The crabs will feel right at home there.

14 Smythe { 06.12.14 at 1:43 pm }

Brain Dead…crabs will feel right at home. :-)

This entire challenge was a bad idea and very unfair.

15 Two Mummies { 06.12.14 at 2:40 pm }

So do the poor people who get left with half finished tiling and dodgy paint jobs get their places fixed?

16 Eliza { 06.12.14 at 2:50 pm }

Candy and Ryan were the stand outs for this challenge.. they did a great job considering the time and compared to the other teams! I have said it before that Candy seems genuinely repulsed by Ryan. I said to my mum that maybe they are a faux couple and really cousins??!!

A&L did an alright job and deserved second place. I was pretty on the ball with predicting the judges scores for each this reno. I was disappointed with C&R though. Those shelves were the oddest choice and Carol knew it. They seemed to lose their mojo. I hope they get it back for the next reno. In saying this, at least things were pretty well done and the place felt light and airy so I was fine with them getting 7s (at least there wasn’t too much to fix).

M&L just don’t seem to developing at all. At least with Candy and Ryan and Adam and Lisa you can see a lot of improvement howver M&L continue to have no idea. They were really off on their styling and workmanship. I am predicting them to be gone after B&M.

I will admit that I actually cheered when B&M got the 4s (my old cat learnt once and for all not to sit on my lap when I am watching this show as I am quite loud and I was getting constant glares). Not because I am a mean person, but because it really deserved it. They definitely had a tough brief, but they still didn’t have to make the place look so oppressive and as though it was in need of a make-over! Just because you think that you are meeting the house rules doesn’t mean that it looks good. You still need to meet them and have style at the same time.

Gabby, I don’t think you were alone in not being able to see any resort style in C&R’s apartment!

Veronicali, I agree about the time frame for the kitchen.. There is no way it could be done in four days, surely. I would like to know their level of responsibility for it.. but the dark bench tops had Bomber all over it, though..

17 Eliza { 06.12.14 at 2:53 pm }

BDD, true about the herb garden.I was naive and tried to keep some coriander and basil inside in pots and, well, they are now dead.

18 all happening { 06.12.14 at 3:06 pm }

I think Carol’s idea of resort style was a potted palm and a couple of walls painted with paw paw and lemon paint.
I am sure a shrink would have a field day with Bombers colour choices.
Our kitchen took 2 guys 3 days to pull apart and re-do with pre ordered and assembled cupboards.

19 Shellbot { 06.12.14 at 3:07 pm }

I wonder if these ‘stressed out’ versions of Candy and Lisa have been there all along and we just didn’t get to see it because of the Brooke and Grant storyline?

Loved Candy telling Ryan to pipe down/shut up, been wanting to tell him that since they started.

20 Eliza { 06.12.14 at 3:26 pm }

Shellbot, the role of villain is now up for grabs.

all happening, yep, our kitchen took about a week (with some back and forth) to do it all. Even though it’s about 3 times the size of the one B&M did, a kitchen would have to be pre-ordered. How could they make it all in the 4 days let alone also install it. I think the show’s producers think we are all silly!

21 julieann { 06.12.14 at 5:45 pm }

that crab filled toilet seat would look tacky at the reject shop. that was the worst thing I’ve seen on this show from a crowded field. I’m not an expert on modern rustic Italian but now thanks to this show I know what it isn’t, lol. guys buy a laptop and google image of the style. jesus on a cross.

22 jec { 06.12.14 at 8:29 pm }

Two Mummies, that’s exactly what I was thinking throughout the whole show … “Who’s going to finish/fix/change things for these people?”.
I noticed a big difference in the presentation of the wall as soon as you enter the units. Only two teams did anything to fix that up (and even then the Gappers didn’t choose the wallpaper!). Bad luck if the residents wanted their laundries renovated!!
I really wonder what those five couples/singles thought when they saw last night’s episode?
Did anyone see which rooms people were fixing up in their own homes apart from M&L’s main bedroom?

23 jec { 06.12.14 at 8:30 pm }

You’d think Bomber & Mel who have had kids would know that parents would not like a see-through toilet lid, theme or not LOL!

24 annajjj { 06.13.14 at 6:06 am }

Jec I wondered that too; what the owners thought when they saw the episode. Maybe that’s why the judges were a bit less vicious than usual. I don’t think Wendy liked that wall mural (I find it hard not to write muriel!) but she didn’t want to say so when the family clearly liked it. When Joh first announced this challenge I thought it was a great idea although a longer timeframe would have been better. But after watching I thought the whole thing was a total dud.

25 Magoo { 06.13.14 at 7:02 am }

Jec 23, I noticed in the after shots of Candy and Ryan’s kitchen that the laundry had been reorganised and spruced up – didn’t take note if the others had changed though

26 Fijane { 06.13.14 at 9:22 am }

It feels to me like this apartment reno was just a hiatus in the middle of the real show. Seemed totally pointless to me, and any competition judged only by Wendy and Joe is open for rigging and ridiculous designer (not real people) opinion.
I thought Ryandy flat was the worst – clashing colours, dark and drab. The red tiles might have been ok, but with dark grey it was awful.
The worst part of all the flats was that not one showed any sort of storage – every flat ended up with far less than they had before. I think that is because fashion dictates minimalism nowadays. Every wall should have had high bookshelves, every corner cupboards.
And how come Ryan and Candy’s lady (sorry, can’t remember her name) ‘works from home’,but was left with not even a place to put a laptop?

27 Veronicali { 06.13.14 at 9:50 am }

Ryandy’s bug lady’s unit was, from a quick shot of the floorplan, a 2 bed, but they only had to do the main bed. Presumably she didn’t want them poking about in her workspace/2nd bed (jars of bugs?).

McFlurry probably ‘suggested’ the themes after a chat with the homeowners. They probably all wanted pretty standard modern renos, but that just wouldn’t do!

28 Neeno - Sew Me Love { 06.13.14 at 2:55 pm }

McFashion-Statement. I die.

29 Twinkle { 06.13.14 at 8:56 pm }

The “Designer” is a pain in the Rs. I was re-watching the episode where she told the teams that they should be installing their panels (QLD house) horizontally, as that’s what people think of when they go to the beach. What a load of shite. You install them vertically to make a room seem higher, and horizontally to make a room seem wider. I don’t know where she got her interior design qualification from but I’m getting it was from a Skippy box. Her mannerisms and subtle questioning (instilling doubt in the contestants’ minds) really peeves me off. Surely they can find someone better?

30 Twinkle { 06.13.14 at 8:59 pm }

Oh, PS:

Someone said somewhere (sorry, I forget where!) that the budget is $200k per house – contestants’ houses – I don’t know about this latest round though. The person who said that claimed to be an insider. Maybe it was the FB page … actually, I think it was … when it was getting really nasty the other night after the Graboo elimination.

31 Gabby { 06.15.14 at 7:53 pm }

I can’t stand Adam, grrrrr……, I so hope he is out next. I feel sorry for Candy. It is always his way or the highway, I would tell him where he could go. I am glad the painting he chose broke!

32 all happening { 06.15.14 at 8:36 pm }

Adam is with Lisa and Candy with Ryan,Gabby. Actually I don’t mind Ryan, it is Candy who I don’ like. She comes across as such a spoilt brat and constantly nagging Ryan and hardly lifts a finger.
I really hope Bomber and Mel go tomorrow. Mel has lost me now, I never liked Bomber.
Maddie and Lloyd are really at a disadvantage with not having a Masters store in town and obviously can’t be seen going into Bunnings.

33 Gabby { 06.15.14 at 9:39 pm }

Thanks a.h., I was so annoyed that I got flustered. Sorry have to agree to disagree there. I don’t like Ryan. Everything has to be his way. Well that is the way I saw it tonight, he was driving me mad. Everything that had to be decided went his way, she never got to choose anything.
Mel has turned in to a pain and when she said that splash back was shabby shic or whatever, it is not, I have got those tiles in another colour, she just calls whatever she likes shabby shit.

34 Eliza { 06.16.14 at 12:31 am }

I agree with all happening, sorry Gabby (p.s hi!). I find that Candy annoys me and I don’t mind Ryan. Candy is never shown doing much but dodgy painting! I thought that Ryan was pretty right in choosing the zone to re-do. You need to pick the space where you can make the biggest impact. The the laundry idea Candy had was good, but that can be done once the show is over.

I am hoping (and pretty sure it will be) that Bomber and Mel go this week. I was never a massive fan of either and the way Mel speaks (mean, I know) drives me insane. The woman doesn’t know how to change the tone/pitch of her voice or when to take a break.

Gabby, the term they use is “junkyard chic”. Whatever that is.. because I don’t really think they know either and they just make it up as they go along! The new tiles they picked for the kitchen were U-G-L-Y (the colour and suitability to the space). Plus, why didn’t they tile around the other walls? Just looks stupid. Yep, they acted as though they were something special. Maybe they haven’t seen/heard of mosaic tiles before!

35 why { 06.16.14 at 5:02 pm }

To address All Happening (32) Adelaide doesn’t have a Masters Store either. (one currently being built)

Does the Mini Dawn French Designer have any use – really? Most of her comments are broad and generic and still leave you guessing.
I can’t understand Carole’s choice of shelving either.
I found the Carole’s description of all the cockroaches coming in and out like a happy hour hysterical. I loved the production team adding disco lights on the scattering cockroaches and over dubbing with disco music – pure magic! Really made me have a good laugh.