Masterchef Australia – Ben Turns Up His Nose At His All Girl Team

It was a sweet episode with Edward and Margaret celebrating their 60th anniversary by renewing their vows and also getting a free wedding reception courtesy of Masterchef. So they had to have Gary, George and Matt at the bridal table but Margaret looked like she was having the time of her life.

Things were not so happy out in the kitchen where the two teams had to produce a three course meal including a two tier cake.

Ben for some reason seems to think Jamie and Emelia are the good cooks of the competition and he was not happy when he had been put on the red team with Tash, Renae, Georgia, Amy, Laura and Kira. He was then appointed captain of the red team and his control freak nature took over.

Not sure why he thought being on a team with Byron, Jamie, Tracy, Brent, Emilia, Colin and Sarah would be better. Byron had to be team captain as he was the only one who had not been in that role. It only took until main course before he was sidelined to cleaning up. Seriously if he was a deckhand on a ship that was sinking you would be worried.

Red team had to make a seafood entree and a chicken main and the blue team had to cook a vegetarian entree and a beef main.

The red team was making a John Dory entree which created conflict. Gary told them they should simplify the dish and they decided to not put the potato on the plate, but when George finally decided to turn up he scolded them for not having enough on a plate. Amy who had been harassing Ben about put the potatoes on the plate was finally vindicated as a quick dressing was made for them and they were put on the dish.

I am liking Amy more each episode she is not afraid to say what she thinks, and quite rightly was pissed off with Ben for being so dismissive of her. The classic was when Ben told her to get yoghurt from the fridge and she asked why he growled “I’ll tell you when you get back”.

Their entree was the biggest entree ever and Gary liked it but thought the salad looked better then it tasted.

The blue team made Pumpkin Ravioli with Potato and Leek Soup, the judges thought it was delicious probably because there was so much cream in it.

The blues main was a disaster of Beef Cheeks, Fillet Beef and Parsnip Chips. To be fair they did have the handicap of losing Brent 20 minutes before the start of serving the entrees as he was sick, so were one man down. However there was no jus and Sarah had to quickly cobble one together. As Matt said if you can’t saying anything good about it don’t say anything thing at all. It must have been bad.

The red teams chicken roulade had been over sauteed in the frypan, courtesy of Ben, and Kira looked a tad pissed off. It is a tad unclear why she did not do that part of the cooking as well considering she had made all of the Chicken Roulades stuffed with pine nuts and currents.

However the judges still liked the dish which was served with a pumpkin puree. However they did say the chicken was overcooked.

Tash and Georgia were the cake makers for the red team and Colin and Emelia were doing the cake for the blue team. They had had only four hours to make and decorate.

Emelia had taken charge of the blue team cakes relegating Colin to be her helper and she made clear to camera that Colin had made the sponge but it was to her recipe and she thought he would be able to do that. The sponge was judged to be too eggy. But that was not their only problem as the white chocolate ganache stuffed up and she then decided to cover the cake with whipped cream. This also was criticised as you could see the cake through the cream at some points. However her decorations with the roses did look fantastic.

The red team of Tash and Georgia did the more traditional wedding cake with a fondant icing and two different cake layers. The bottom was vanilla with a berry cream filling and the top was a lemon and almond. With the blue team winning the entree and the red team the main, it was Tash and Georgia’s cake that gave the red team the win.

Ben then gave a condescending speech saying he was happy with the girls at that point one of the girls should have slapped him.

Tonight a favourite goes home. My money is on Byron surely he can’t survive much longer?

1 Anonymous { 06.12.14 at 8:56 pm }

who got out?

2 Simon { 06.12.14 at 9:11 pm }

Littlepetal, the 60/65C thing is probably due to Heston Blumenthal’s influence. Heston apparently cooks chicken to 60C. Food safety’s mark is 74-75C.

3 Littlepetal { 06.12.14 at 9:15 pm }

I guess so, Simon. My aunt poached chicken usually have dome blood at the joints and that is the way we used to have them at home.

4 Kim { 06.12.14 at 9:29 pm }

Littlepetal, I’ve always loved my chicken a tiny bit underdone, which would mean if it has a bone that blood would be weeping a bit from it. It seems media has fearmongered the public into thinking chicken must be well done in order to eat. Don’t get me wrong, Sarah’s medium chicken was never going to be edible.

According to my work’s rules, all cooked food must be served at 75C or above, excluding steaks cooked to order. 75C ensures everything is extremely cooked however!

5 Poisonous poultry { 06.12.14 at 9:30 pm }

Remember the horror of maggie’s terrine a couple of series back

6 Littlepetal { 06.12.14 at 9:42 pm }

Sarah chicken was only 56C. She still said it was cooked. I think she knew she is going home.

7 Sandii { 06.12.14 at 9:49 pm }

Poor Gary looked devo that she went home.

8 Simon { 06.12.14 at 9:58 pm }

Sarah’s mum left a heartfelt message on Facebook:

“A message from Sarah’s Mum. Thank you to all you wonderful people who have been supporting Sarah during her time on MasterChef. She is an amazing young woman and a kind and gentle soul. At times when I wanted to respond to some negative comments, one of you would come to her defence. I loved reading your comments, as did her Nanna and we truly THANK YOU.”

Colin dodged a bullet tonight. I get the feeling that if the chicken was cooked, he would have been the one to go home tonight. It’s so sad to hear that it looks like he’s gone all-in on winning Masterchef. Would make it all the more tragic if he doesn’t win.

Also noticed the Red Bulls at the start. Must be a brutal shooting schedule if they all have to start the day with one of those.

9 Evan { 06.12.14 at 10:07 pm }

If Sarah had been a contestant on MKR and she’d served up raw chicken, Pete and Manu would have put her through to the next round LOL
Yes, Colin dodged a major bullet tonight, not sure if he will get anywhere near winning the 200 grand though.
The next to go logically should be Byron, but stranger things have happened – Sarah’s elimination the latest example of that.

10 MT { 06.12.14 at 10:36 pm }

Sarah wasn’t that special to anyone besides Gary.

I wonder if they are told not to say if they know they have stuffed up bad.

11 daisy { 06.12.14 at 10:45 pm }

We had blood joint chicken in Guangzhou.
We were looking at it warily but at tbe next table there was a man who said, “I am a doctor and you can eat it”.

In hindsight, he may have meant medical treatment was close by.

12 Wild rice { 06.12.14 at 10:58 pm }

The makers of the meat thermometers, and name is on the thermometer is given lots of airtime, must be major sponsors. I am very sceptical about how ‘random’ the choice of all to cook chicken and two needed a thermometer. Sarah read the temp out loud, too low, peanut gallery provided narration that it was too low, then chicken undercooked. Tracey perfectly cooked chicken and she knows it, thanks to thermometer. MC are the leaders in product placement but tonight took it to a whole new level

13 Wild rice { 06.12.14 at 11:06 pm }

The preview for a next week portrays Pierre Marco White as a bully, intimidating people. Pah-leeze, are the manufactured theatrics and drama necessary

14 lulu { 06.12.14 at 11:09 pm }

Best cook out?!

15 q10 { 06.12.14 at 11:22 pm }

I’m in japan atm and it seems ok to the locals to eat chicken (and pork) on the raw side, they must not have Salmonella in the country(?) I still wouldn’t dare…

16 Juz { 06.12.14 at 11:36 pm }

Kim, I thought the same when they flaked after five cloches. What do we reckon was under the rest? A green curry? Maybe something Indian, like a rogan josh? Mille feiulle?

17 brain dead dave { 06.12.14 at 11:39 pm }

It’s a fine line between a Blue Gizmo and a spew gizmo. Not like we’ve never seen raw chicken on reality cooking shows before. Sarah’s jerk chickin~ you’d have to be a jerk to eat it.

That wasn’t the toughest identify the dish test I’ve ever seen. I nailed them all bar the Pad Thai. Would have been good to see under all the cloches but $hine wouldn’t want to show up these “best eva ” amatas,who were dropping like flies after four or five cloches. Best not mention the spelling chops on these Ma$terdunces.

18 daisy { 06.12.14 at 11:53 pm }

q10, I was in an expensive ryokan being treated to dinner. One dish contained bear paw soup. Pass. Another dish had a large cube of raw (yes raw) chicken. Pass.
Luckily everything came in a little bowl under a lid so I was trying to hide the fact I couldn’t eat.
There was also raw beef. Pass. And lots of glutinized mini foods.

19 Simon { 06.13.14 at 12:10 am }

brain dead dave, it seemed odd how quickly they went down, especially someone who self proclaims to have such a wide knowledge of food called a noodle dish thai fried rice.

Kim & Julz, really wished they would show all of the items so that we could at least play along at home and not waste making all that food. There would have been so many classics to choose from. If coc au vin was only the 5th one in, there probably would have been some interesting ones further down the line like boeuf bourguignon, bouillabaisse, borscht, jambalaya or even the cacciatore just to name a few. That’s not even counting the Asian ones like Massaman curry, biryani, pho and so on.

20 Adrianna { 06.13.14 at 12:24 am }

I must admit I teared up a bit. Kinda sad to see her go.
Like someone mentioned upthread, didn’t the winners of MKR serve raw chicken??

21 Kim { 06.13.14 at 12:26 am }

Julz @66, I was going to say most of the dishes Simon said (pardon the pun), plus possibly a mulligatawny, minestrone, pavlova… What I found sad though was they had three wrong answers after 5 cloches, especially Colin falling on “Thai fried rice”-did he mistake the peanuts for rice?

Brent also annoyed me a little when he made a comment about not liking these identifying challenges… Something along the lines of ‘I don’t like looking, touching, tasting, I’m here to cook’- to be able to cook well to me is to start with the basics and understanding tastes and ingredients, and judging by some people’s uncertainty about carbonara and osso bucco, he should reconsider his priorities.

Btw hi everyone, I’ve been lurking for ages now but have decided to come out of the woodwork =)

22 lulu { 06.13.14 at 12:42 am }

Of course everyone wanted to see what was under the rest of the cloches – would’ve been fun for the viewers (who provide ratings).

So who risks their financial livelihood on ‘winning MC’ and the hackneyed ‘food dream?’ Oh, that would be Colin. Beloved by many, I find him a bit annoying and up himself.

Too bad for Sarah – she was the best. I seen worse raw chicken deemed acceptable before. Goes to show how fake this show is.

23 brain dead dave { 06.13.14 at 1:02 am }

Yep, I’m over Colin and his “wide knowledge of classic dishes”. Couldn’t walk the talk tonight. The crowing old fart got away with store bought pastry , too.

Hi Kim.

24 Kim { 06.13.14 at 1:22 am }

Hi BDD!

You’d think the tarte tatin the judges put up would have been made with puff made from scratch, so why have premade puff in the available ingredients? Sounds like they wanted someone to use it so they could slam it. Colin definitely dodged machine gun fire tonight.

25 daisy { 06.13.14 at 2:05 am }

That was funny that Colin got through with pastry he didn’t make when the judges didn’t like the filling. So what WAS good about the pie then? The pastry he didn’t make, or the filling they didn’t like?

26 todd { 06.13.14 at 2:35 am }

@adrianna, almost teared up too. rewatching the episode now and it actually hurts to see her go.

27 lulu { 06.13.14 at 3:22 am }

@ 72 I’ve*
Just self-correcting.

28 Smythe { 06.13.14 at 5:49 am }

Round 1…another stupid challenge. Instead of just having them name each dish one at a time and then eliminate person if incorrect, go through all of the dishes and then determine who has the most incorrect or who has the most correct. The 3 with the fewest incorrect go to elimination or make it that the top 3 don’t go to elimination and the rest do or something like that. Would have been more interesting and more challenging instead of here are 5 dishes, 3 mistakes and we are done with this round. Boring.

I was very disappointed that Emelia did not go on to elimination.

I like Colin, but #1 he didn’t make his own pastry (and that was all that the judges liked about his dish) and #2 didn’t someone else (now eliminated) earlier on make some kind of meat pie and they told him it was too pedestrian although I can see that the pithivier was more involved. I think that person even made his own pastry. Maybe it was Scott who did that??

One would think that Sarah would know what temperature the chicken should be cooked at but once she cut it she should have seen that it was raw. I thought she might have had time to throw it back in the pan and let it cook a little bit more. From what I saw, though, the chicken didn’t look pink. In fact. Tracy’s chicken looked pink to me in places. However, I wasn’t there looking at that chicken and the camera isn’t always accurate. I am disappointed to see her leave and especially disappointed to see that Emelia is still there.

29 Sandii { 06.13.14 at 6:59 am }

Kim at 74. Hi! Excellent pickup about the pastry. They must have used it for it to be on the table

30 Anna { 06.13.14 at 8:06 am }

I did not get why Sarah desmiss, was such a schock, she had been in quite many pressure test, and her luck had run out. Hoppfully next week Byron and Kira will go. Byron is not up to par compare to all others and Kira is just plain boring.

31 Littlepetal { 06.13.14 at 8:12 am }

I thought the pie ( can’t spell the right name) that Colon made has very little filling in it. It’s all pastry. Can’t see him getting to Top 5. His plating is awful. So in not so many words he is in MC for the money which is not a crime.

Tracy was in tears again in the promo. I don’t think she can last the distance. Too emotional.

32 Joseph Skyrim { 06.13.14 at 8:21 am }

Damn you raw chicken! Anyone have a list of all those who have fallen to it? The ones that come to mind are Sarah (this season), Jono (s2), Sam (s1).

One less eye candy for the guys. Fortunately Kira is still there, but I don’t think any of the other girls wear their shirt one size too short to always expose their lower back. *sad face* 😛

33 Alec C { 06.13.14 at 8:32 am }

Emelia lets Collin make the sponge and stuffs up the icing with mixer on too high of a speed – sponge was too eggy and the finished produce lacked finesse.

Colin did dodge a bullet here with Sarah’s raw chicken. Make the dish that knocked you out might have been a better challenge V make anything with the ingredients from all of the correct dishes.

34 Juz { 06.13.14 at 8:43 am }

Agreed Alec C – I thought one of the girls would do a modern spin on coq au vin for sure. I felt sorry for Sarah, the way the judges were talking her up in front of everyone the entire competition. Pressure, much?

35 daisy { 06.13.14 at 8:44 am }

Colin’s pie was so tiny and basic that it was funny watching the judges attempt to dignify it with their little pithier (whatever) sauce ceremony.

36 Morgan { 06.13.14 at 8:50 am }

One big flaw with these Thursday night eliminations, it should JUST BE ABOUT COOKING. None of these taste tests or “name that dish/ingredient” crap that gets you through safely without having to actually cook, if it just affects what you get to cook with, that’s fine. However, knowing a lot of names of dishes/ingredients and having a good palate does not mean your are a good cook. Byron is clearly the weakest cook left yet he’s gotten this far by being lucky enough to be on winning teams or correctly naming sh*t, or when Sam had a bone left in her sushi.

One thing I will say is that the judging is FAR more credible than MKR this year. At least no one is getting through with raw/under-cooked meat.

I hope they are bringing back an eliminated contestant again like last year, I would love to see Sarah come back.

37 TwoLittleLemons { 06.13.14 at 9:24 am }

Hi Smythe,

Scott did do a “pie”, but it was a vegetable pie with bread cube topping and white sauce. Very uninspired – no pastry at all! I’m surprised Scott didn’t go sooner, tbh…

And the verdict was fair. they couldn’t eat Sarah’s dish so off she went.

38 Smythe { 06.13.14 at 11:39 am }

2 Lemons #87 Sarah had others items on her dish which they didn’t appear to taste. The only thing the judges liked on Colin’s dish was the pastry which he didn’t even make. Didn’t seem fair to me. Fair would have been both of them being eliminated.
Thanks for reminding me about Scott’s pie. For some reason, I thought he made pastry. Maybe that was another person or another MC program.

Morgan #86 good points..someone could have great taste buds or be familiar w/ many different cuisines and identify dishes accurately but be one of the poorer cooks, but because of their identification skills they get out of going to the elim. round.

39 Jay { 06.13.14 at 3:21 pm }

Morgan 86 and Smythe 88 – case in point Jowl$y.

Hi Kim – good to have your opinions aboard.

40 Juz { 06.13.14 at 6:15 pm }

I guess by not lifting the other cloches they can recycle this challenge for next year and recycle the unrevealed dishes.

41 Kim { 06.13.14 at 10:38 pm }

Hi, Sandii and Jay =)

I can’t remember which cut of chicken Sarah and Tracy each used. If Tracy used thigh it would explain why it still appeared pinkish after cooking.

I agree with Smythe, they should’ve shown all the dishes to the contestants and done it that way.

Also @86&88, these are valid points, and yes it is a cooking competition foremost, but I still think a general understanding of taste, cuisine, knife skills etc. are what turns a good cook into a great cook. Otherwise what they serve up is just pure luck!

42 daisy { 06.13.14 at 10:47 pm }

Don’t be watching the Feed next week. They are eating placenta.
You can eat it raw, make a stir fry, or even a fruit smoothie. A fruitand placenta smoothie.

Last years Noelene (was that her name?) the offal queen would probably have a few placenta recipes.