The Voice Australia – Nicole Martini Said Show Opened Her Up For Cyber-Bullying

Nicole Martini was the sassy girl who sang in Italian at the auditions on The Voice Australia but unfortunately for her none of the coaches turned for her and she now saying she feels exploited by the show.

She says NINE opened her up for derision on in cyber space by placing on Facebook a picture of her saying Bomb or Bombshell?

She told SMH that this was gave commenters open slather to talk about her weight and she received 100’s of negative comments.

The networks need to get their house in order on this as they fuel the fire that is social media. A lot of reality TV is about having an opinion on what we are seeing on screen viewers will talk both positively and negatively about the contestants.

Nicole told the Illawarra Mercury which is now in SMH that she was exploited:

A contestant on the Nine Network’s talent show The Voice, says she was exploited, left open to vicious cyber-bullying, then discarded “like a used tissue” after her performance aired.

Nicole Martini featured on The Voice’s blind auditions in May. She was unsuccessful in progressing to the next round of the competition, but the greater disappointment came after the show aired, when her picture was posted on The Voice’s Facebook page with the question “bomb or bombshell,” referencing a quote she made in a pre-performance interview.

“The way they phrased it opened it up for people to criticise my body,” Ms Martini said. The former Fairy Meadow resident, now living in Sans Souci, has been followed by depression and bullying for years, and what should have been a proud moment for the aspiring singer turned into embarrassment.

“There were hundreds of comments bashing me for my weight. I tried to be strong, but my mum and fiance were distraught,” Ms Martini said in a blog on her website after the incident.

Ms Martini said the show’s producers offered her an opportunity to go on the Today breakfast show to talk about cyber-bullying, but after the initial promise, the offer was forgotten and ignored.

“I wanted to bring light to the issue of bullying. I’ve been depressed but the show actually made it worse by promising then pushing me to the side like a used tissue,” she said.

Ms Martini was further insulted when a contestant who made it to The Voice’s later rounds, Louise Van Veenendaal, was invited on Today to talk about her own cyber-bullying.

“I want shows to know the ethical responsibility to look after their contestants’ mental well-being doesn’t forfeit when that person no longer has commercial use or potential for them,” Ms Martini said.

Nicole had a lot of chutzpah and it is a pity she did not get further as she is not as bland as some of the other contestants still in the show. But she did stuff up her audition.  In her case I think NINE do have a case to answer as they were not asking about The Voice.

Another voice contestant, Louise Van Veendahl has also been effected by some online criticism. She and her mother also was critical of NINE saying the edit made her look bad. In this case I think she should just embrace it. For over a decade she has been seeking her fame and fortune in the US and now two million people know her name.  Sure there were some who did not like her but she should line up some gigs in Australia or bring her one woman show here and she would probably find that people would be lining up to see her.

It will be interesting to see if in the future now that more contestants are speaking out how production companies will edit. However potential reality TV contestants should they ask themselves whether they want to be on an entertaining reality show with high ratings or a bland one with no one watching?

Reality TV is still one of the best vehicles for people to promote themselves. However in some cases people who go on reality TV thinking they can manipulate the process but in fact in manipulates them.

1 Helena { 06.12.14 at 1:29 pm }

I did think the Voice chose to present her unfairly at the time, however it was evident even before their post that her voice was overshadowed by the chip on her shoulder

2 Eliza { 06.12.14 at 2:07 pm }

I don’t agree with the “bomb or bombshell” post that they put up on The Voice Facebook page. They need to be a little more respectful of the contestants as they will usually cop enough anyway from people letting fly on Facebook. Fat, skinny, ugly, pretty, plain, different.. whatever..

In saying that, I found her appearance on the show odd. She, to me, came across as rude rather than sassy. If she were talking to me (as a coach) the way she was talking on stage I would have been relieved I didn’t turn around.

3 daisy { 06.12.14 at 6:49 pm }

I don’t know who’s to blame, her or the shows editors but I thought she was gross. Not for her weight but for her mouth. She downgraded herself, especially when she mentioned crapping her pants. I visualize things so that is how I see her.

I get that she was probably trying to be self protective as in if you can’t be the pretty girl, be the tough girl, but there are other options.
Also now I also remember she talked over the judges when they gave her their critiques.Again probably another self-protective strategy.

I can’t remember her voice at all. I just remember her distasteful manner and words.

4 Laura { 06.13.14 at 12:16 pm }

I don’t think Louise was portrayed unfairly. Will took her further than I think she deserved to go (Jayde was a much better singer) and she was dubbed one of the strongest voices in the competition. She came across as really nice in the showdowns, very supportive of her fellow contestants, and the editing/ Will made his decision seem really difficult (I doubt that it actually was). I would be happy if I were her.

5 Nicole Martinj { 06.13.14 at 10:24 pm }

Hey guys,

Check out my blog about my personal experience with the Voice and the real chip that’s on my shoulder.

(Maybe not you Daisy if you’re easily offended by verbal candidness)

Peace to you all x

6 daisy { 06.13.14 at 10:32 pm }

Ah, now Nicole. That WAS nice. :)
No poo images.
See I can change my mind.

7 daisy { 06.15.14 at 6:17 pm }

I just discovered a good way to watch Pop Asia and to listen to cool ‘lounge’ music. Do them simultaneously with the sound on the TV off.
No I am not on drugs.

But now Pop Asia has a kaleidescope, so maybe I am.

8 LW { 06.15.14 at 7:03 pm }

I didn’t see her on the The Voice, but how on earth does the heading “Bomb or Bombshell” relate to, or invite comments about weight? Am I missing something?

9 daisy { 06.15.14 at 10:22 pm }

LW, they showed Nicole saying something about having been overweight (bomb), losing weight ( bombshell) and then gaining the weight again (bomb) but saying, “Whatever”.
That was the gist of it. It was her own description.

10 daisy { 06.16.14 at 12:00 pm }

I thought the Voice was boring last night.
The dready guy who sang Memories was one of the best but I don’t think they want another Steve Clisby in the finals.