House Rules – Did Mel And Bomber Destroy Their House And Other House Rules Gossip

Well regular readers of this blog will know of House Rules rumours doing the rounds and Woman’s Day is now also reporting that there is something fishy about Mel and Bomber’s house.

The article states the house was in good condition when they brought it but it had deteriorated rapidly in a short time including holes in walls. The question is was this done by them or by the production crew to make the transformation more dramatic?

The article talks about the Candy and Ryan break up as well.

Online it states:

Mel and Bomber:

It appears the couple, who only met online six months ago, will do anything to dodge debt. Mel, 39, and Bomber, 45, are under scrutiny after it’s believed the pair “trashed” they’re cute Adelaide home so that they would be selected.

Woman’s Day can reveal that before the show started, their 110-year-old cottage was in perfect condition, according to a real estate listing from back in June last year.

But viewers where left stunned during week six of renovations when it came time for Mel and Bomber’s home to be transformed.

Instead of arriving to a family-friendly home, contestants were confronted with a near unliveable residence with massive holes in the wall, termite damage, no kitchen and junk from floor to ceiling.

“It doesn’t look that bad on the real estate website, I’m confused,” a fan of the show posted on Facebook.

Questions have also been raised about the $400,00 mortgage they couple say they have, when the sale price was just $331, 160.

Candy and Ryan:

Uh Oh! Look’s like there’s trouble in paradise for Candy and Ryan!

Despite putting on brave faces at a recent publicity event, insiders say it was all an act.

The competitive couple from Western Sydney are said to have faked their relationship and have since gone their separate ways since filming of the show wrapped up.

Clearly forgetting about their fake relationship, Ryan was even snapped enjoying drinks with another woman and not his long-time girlfriend Candy Stuart, who he met five years ago.

The 29-year-old electrician was snapped with the pretty brunette in Sydney’s West on May 3.

An onlooker said while the pair weren’t exactly flirting, Ryan appeared to be enjoying his evening as the twosome partied together with a group of pals.

Also in last week’s TV Week they talked to the Executive Producer of the show and here are some interesting facts:

Hidden Budgets – Co-Executive producer Maxine Gray says “Every single house requires a different budget and every zone also requires a different budget”.

“We don’t want the viewer to be fixated on budget.

“On this show you can’t compare apples with apples.”

“So, we decided to be very generic about the budget. Instead, we focus on whether they’re spending more or less than they’ve been given.”

“Overall it is roughly the same.”

As kitchen is always going to cost more then a bedroom.

Dodgy Workmanship  – The contestants are left with the dodgy work. “These houses must be certified by the builder” says Maxine. “That doesn’t mean a bad paint job will be fixed up.”

Biased Judging – Some teams called foul on some of the judging in the competition. Among those who struggled the most were Carole and Russell.

“We got busted many times for our bathroom design,” Carole 53 complains. “And, yet in Victoria, Maddi and Lloyd did a vanity you couldn’t go to the bathroom in without being seen from the street. And, they go a better score than us! I was annoyed.”

1 all happening { 06.16.14 at 4:55 pm }

So I wasn’t imagining it. I had seen the realestate.com link on houses sold that was on this site several weeks ago and there were no holes in the floor or inner walls removed. I assumed that it was due to termite damage, and faulty parts were removed. mmmm!

Good luck Ryan, they were not suited.

2 Chrissie { 06.16.14 at 5:19 pm }

It wouldn’t surprise me if the production had simply started the demolition to help contestants out, due to how much work there was to do. It would be crazy to trash your own place for the chance on a reality show, I don’t believe it.

3 danielle { 06.16.14 at 5:35 pm }

Yeah I read that on last week’s TV week. There was also concerns that Maddi and Lisa look too similar so Maddi has her hair up all the time and is straight while Lisa had to have curly hair that is out. Her obsessing over the rollers was fake. Her LinkedIn profile has her with straight hair and that photo in the kitchen, she has straight hair.

Also more goss is that Candy and Ryan’s house is an investment property and Carol and Russell own outright 2 other properties apparently worth millions. Anyway they don’t look poor.

4 Andrea { 06.16.14 at 6:04 pm }

I hate to be taken for a ride like this. Why do they have to do this instead of simply having honest couples who are struggling and want to badly go on HR in the hopes of winning?
None of this lot are married, or they don’t seem to have been together for very long, or they got together just for the show.
Or they own another couple of homes.
I think Maddie and Lloyd, or Adam and Lisa are about the best ones to win.

5 PollyB { 06.16.14 at 6:05 pm }

Carole appears to have spent a bit renovating herself.

6 jec { 06.16.14 at 6:08 pm }

Thanks RR! I saw the front of the Woman’s Day and was going to read it at the checkout during the week. Now I don’t have to!

7 kes { 06.16.14 at 6:47 pm }

Bout time!! Re: bomber & Mel. A few weeks ago I commented here about this house.I researched back to the original sale with photos inside and the amount was stated at $361,000. I suggested at the time they were claiming a $400,000 mortgage which I felt was not fair if they borrowed more money to piss up or in this circumstance probably to pay the mortgage. The house in my opinion at the time looked fine and I mentioned that I felt that Bomber had rushed in and pulled the kitchen apart with that floor being removed and open to the elements, there is no way in hell you could sell a home with no floor,so yeah either he did it, which wouldn’t surprise me being a doofus and all, or the production team, and if they did, shame on them.There has always been something fishy about these two, nothing makes sense about timelines and hook up times. I really hope they leave tonight so I don’t have to hear that stupid silly word again “junk trash crap shit sheek”

8 Andrea { 06.16.14 at 7:26 pm }

Good on you Kes, you were so right and its just not fair at all to all the other couples who applied to go on the show.

9 Gabby { 06.16.14 at 8:10 pm }

Yes good one Kes and thanks for the read RR.
It is not on if the viewer is once again being misled.
I am with you Andrea, go Adam and Lisa or Madi and Lloyd.
Time to go Bomber and Mel and then Ryan and Candy or Carole and Russ, either or.

10 kes { 06.16.14 at 10:29 pm }

Thanks to Gabby & Andrea for yr support. Thank god B & M have gone and hopefully never heard from again, they got the fix up that they would never ever have been able to afford or do.Stick yr junk shop shit you two.When you go to get that valuation, yr real estate fella is gonna laugh his tits off!

11 kes { 06.16.14 at 10:35 pm }

Finally we get the gardens & outside areas made over.I really hope they don;t have landscapers in and they are made to do some hard work.Most won’t have a clue where to start except Carol & Russ. I wanna see the young chick get their fingernails dirty. A beautiful garden can put many thousands of value onto a home,but get it wrong, it can look blahhhh.

12 Eliza { 06.16.14 at 11:41 pm }

I really don’t like the dishonesty behind these shows either. It is annoying when you have people out there who genuinely need the help and then you end up with a bunch of fakes in one way or another. The production team probably use the excuse that it is hard to find houses in just the right state (not too hard, not too easy) for the show, and also that the couples need to be likable/a mix of characteristics and able to speak on camera.

Thanks for the info, danielle, on the hair. I was wondering why Lisa would seriously bother curling it everyday and why Maddi’s hair was always up. They think we are silly, don’t they?!

Haha, PollyB, Carole sure does look like she has been doing some renovating on herself. I forget how young she actually is, really. My mum is older than her and looks 10 years younger. I will admit I like Carole and Russell for some reason..

I was never a fan of B&M.. something about them always urked me and I never felt right about them and I was right! Again, do they think people are silly regarding the state of their house when it was purchased to when we saw it on TV…

13 Smythe { 06.17.14 at 2:04 am }

I did find another site w/ photos of Mel’s and Bomber’s house before reno and one room (the one w/ metal sheeting on the side) did not look like it was in good condition but the rest did not look like they did on the program (beat up and in extremely bad condition). This site had more photos than the realestate.com one. Will have to see if I can find it again. However, could not believe that someone would have paid that much for that place. As for Ryan and Candy really didn’t seem as if they were together as a couple. If Russell and Carole have multiple homes then they should have to give back whatever monies were used to reno their house. It’s not as if they were in need of another home, were they?

I’m glad that Bomber and Mel are gone. I was tired of junkyard/junk shop chic or shabby chic or whatever BS they were calling it. They are lucky they got on HR and had that home reno-ed so that it is now liveable. Have a feeling they won’t be together as a couple very long.

14 alyse { 06.17.14 at 5:14 am }

can someone tell me how i can get to the photos of before they trashed the house in the first place. Dont get me wrong i think its great that all the unused or left over items go to goodwill.

15 Shellbot { 06.17.14 at 8:12 am }
16 kezg { 06.17.14 at 8:22 am }

I was stunned when I saw B & M house, I honestly believe they or the production company deliberately caused the damage. There is something not quite right about B & M, the whole story doesn’t add up…online dating, only known each other for a few months, buy a house and move two families in?? It doesn’t make any sense, no normal person would do that, I hope they are proud of all their lies and deceit!! I think they played the game to get what they wanted. I’m pleased they are no longer on the show. And shame on HR if they were part and parcel of all the lies and deception!!

17 kes { 06.17.14 at 10:09 am }

Yes, those photos say it all about B & M. I feel this has left a stain on the show that I have enjoyed so much. It sold for less than I thought,meaning there is now a gap of $70,000 between purchase price & mortgage, that is totally sus!! Last comment on these two that I feel have bought some disrespect to this fabulous show. Next year, for crying out loud, get contestants that have an honest background and really deserve the break of getting a free reno and the chance to pay off on of life’s most expensive deal these days, having yr own home.

18 Jaycee47 { 06.17.14 at 10:18 am }

Polly B & Eliza I too think Carol has had some renovating done…especially when she is standing next to Rusty! Not a line on her face and he is just the opposite so it is made all the more obvious.

I agree too that it should be aimed at young married couples who need to get their mortgage paid off instead of those with multiple properties who are all out for themselves. This lot were definitely a mixed bunch but I think the younger couples should win.

While I am at it the judges scoring leaves a lot to be desired. Their opinions are just that….theirs. My ideas are different to theirs and the home owners have their opinions so why penalise a good design/idea just because you (judges) don’t like it.

19 Pam { 06.17.14 at 10:26 am }

Shame, shame, shame, HR. this is not good. Your image is dropping and so are the images of some of the contestants.
Give real, honest people a go.

20 Jim { 06.17.14 at 11:51 am }

Like most reality shows, set up throughout. Hoped from better in aus. Judges leave a lot to be desired, should not know who did what. Their opinion is only that. Frustrated that scores are so wrong. Prize should be set amount, that way producers may not pick the one with lowest mortgage.

21 mm#8 { 06.17.14 at 6:14 pm }

love your recaps annajjj…

didn’t watch last seasons so feel as tho I’m coming thru the laundry window … I’m confused why victims.. sorry .. contestants have had to shop together for last two challenges .. wouldn’t it be better to leave one at the work site ? or are we just torturing.. sorry .. testing relationships ?

In Rugby League, play continues for one more tackle after time… would love to see teams not down tools til Joh tackles one of the team members …. would give her more to do then just counting… altho she does that so well, would hate to see her stretched…

22 mm#8 { 06.17.14 at 6:14 pm }

mm#8

love your recaps annajjj…

23 Twinkle { 06.17.14 at 9:21 pm }

@Shellbot – thank you for posting that link! :-)

Wow – they definitely ‘modified’ the house for entry into the show, didn’t they?

See that lovely (read the sarcasm in my voice) corrugated iron panelling feature in the fifth picture? We had that in our house, which we moved into in 2003 and it was all the rage back then. We had it behind our woodburner, as a feature up one of the walls, in the kitchen as a splash back – wow. Hideous, hideous, HIDEOUS! When we pulled it all off we were horrified to find black tunnel spiders’ nests!

Anyhoo … that house looked like an excellent buy for Mel and Bomber. Soooo cheap! Imagine the amazing things the ‘Selling Houses Australia’ team could do on it for minimal cost – I like their ‘after’ shots far more than those of the ‘House Rules’ teams.

24 Techhater { 06.17.14 at 10:00 pm }

Damn i’m sooooooo disappointed. 😥

I REALLY,TRULY thought this was REALity tv. 😈

25 Mel { 06.17.14 at 10:58 pm }

All I can say is wow, I just found the link to the adelaide house and all I can say is disgusting to what they did to the property. No floors on th show but when purchased the floors seemed to be intact and I would loveeee to have a huge spa in my bathroom. Good luck trying to resell that place as everything now in that house does not fit the heritage of the house at all

26 alice { 06.18.14 at 8:15 am }

First you need to remember that this is kind of a scripted reality show. There is no real reality show, they are all made of entertainment. They vet all of their contestants or reality stars if you like. It is only a program. I like the personalities, and really do not care about anything, but the outcome of the renovation. It is really just another reality show like the block. People are chosen because of their personality or lack of and how they play on camera. I really like Russell and Carole, and the young blonde girls, however, Candy’s is obvious they are playing to the cameras. There is no real reality in a show like this; it is just fun to watch. I always wonder what happens to the couples after the shows? Does anyone know who actually won season 2 since it is over there has to be a leak somewhere *grin*.

27 cindy { 06.18.14 at 4:37 pm }

does anyone know the street in Boya that Carole and Russell live on

28 kes { 06.18.14 at 6:57 pm }

I don’t but do a google search and find what I did. I cant get the thread for the article but on the first google search for Carole,up comes an article with no date but an article on Carole & another bloke about them trying to build a double story home that didn’t go ahead….there is a pic and she looks younger, interesting though.There is also an article with the local paper with her and Russ talking about they had another home and sold it after the GST found them with little and they were renting until the gumtree came about. The first article is under NHBB Carole Bramston & David Ralf. Google is our friend Lol…

29 Elke { 06.19.14 at 5:24 pm }

I was getting tired of the constant tears from Bomber and/or Mel at the drop of a hat. Not to mention Bomber regularly having to skip a bit of hard work after he pulled the odd “heartledge”.
Thanks to all here who proved that their story was a bit dodgy. I had been saying all long that there is no way they’d have a $400k mortgage for a house they’ve purchased in that condition in that area. I feel sorry for their kids who were dragged onto the show under misleading circumstances.

30 Brad { 06.23.14 at 9:48 am }

I hope candy and ryan win and dont break up cause candy is hot and happy with ryan

31 Edwina Kastner { 06.25.14 at 2:31 am }

Harcourts.Public.WebTemplates/202/Files/
PRESENTING_YOUR_PROPERTY_TO_THE_WORLD.pdf (remove spaces)
Here you will see, on page 13, a Carole Bramston of Leisure Ways, Halls Head WA thanking Harcourts Real Estate Mandurah, for tenanting her home out.
If you Google that address you will see that this is a substantial river frontage property.
Is this our ‘battler’ Carole Bramston playing at being a Landlady ?

32 Marnie { 06.30.14 at 10:13 pm }

WOW! Who ever said the show has to be based on the contestants being deserving battlers? It’s a competition and a TV show so obviously they need to select a good mix of contestants with personality to make it interesting to watch. Great job channel 7. Were the contestants lucky to be selected — yes, were they fabulous couples — yes. Entertaining to watch — yes. Willing to work very hard — yes. Sent home in the right order — yes. Fairly rewarded — yes.

I’m sad to see House Rules coming to an end. I’ll especially miss Carole yelling: “RUSSELL”, and Russell, loving it. “RUSSELL…. RUSSELL…. RUSSSSSELL……” hahahahaha

33 Jaycie { 07.05.14 at 10:12 pm }

The thing I find strangest about all of this is that people just seem to accept the huge price of owning a home nowadays. It should be a basic right to own a home without having to be a millionaire. I wonder how much longer the banks can get away with enslaving young people for multiple life times.